Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Ryzer

Arcane
I can't wait for Starrim, Starblivion, Starggerfall and Starwind, the modern interpretation of old Bethesda games into the Starfield engine. It's only a matter of time until they get announced.
Pfft, amateur stuff. Check this out:

It's called Skyrim and stands for the modern interpretation of Skyrim in the Skyrim engine.

What is this dogshit modpack? the art direction is all over the place, mixing scandinavian landscapes with lush forest, it's not Cyrodiil, it's supposed to be a cold place with blunt people.
The UI is hideous and the outline is bad, the centered camera is pure cancer, the oblivion centered camera on dialogues is even worse, the spells animations look very amateurish and the new animations are awkward. What's the point in making Skyrim even worse?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Starchads make some noise!
desert-tumbleweed.gif

Gargaune

Arcane
are we talking about the new survival mode that was added in 2016?
Man, you sent me down a little rabbit hole last night. The old Survival copied the damage adjusts from Very Hard, PC doing x0.5 damage and taking x2. Spongy as soft shit. The overhauled Survival changed to x1.5 and x2 respectively (along with some other values). Not spongy.

Turns out the mod I'd been using was actually lowering lethality to x1/x1, so I might disable it or swap to its x2/x2 version, but first I need to beat my favourite weapon mod with the Sawyer stick, it's a bit OP.

What's the point in making Skyrim even worse?
A question better put to Todd.

Lemming42

Arcane
What's the point in making Skyrim even worse?
Yeah the modpack is an impressive bit of work but honestly these days if I wanted to play Skyrim (or any other Bethesda game) I'd never really use more than like ten minor gameplay tweak mods. Dunno what the fuck I was doing back in like 2015 spending all night installing conflicting bullshit that turned the games into weird batshit fuckscapes of jarring nonsense. Any attempt made by modding to enhance the atmosphere and style of these games just ends up burying it instead. The big Morrowind overhaul is the ultimate example; each individual part technically looked great but what the fuck was it all about when taken together as a whole.

banana

Literate
Just think, you have another 15 years of updates to break all those mods over and over again.

Latelistener

Arcane
I can't wait for Starrim, Starblivion, Starggerfall and Starwind, the modern interpretation of old Bethesda games into the Starfield engine. It's only a matter of time until they get announced.

It's called Skyrim and stands for the modern interpretation of Skyrim in the Skyrim engine.

I don't know from where those shitty spell effects came from, but they're everywhere now.

JL_Dk_Apokolips_War_Constantine_Magic.png

Marvel maybe?

Yosharian

Arcane

Fucking cringe af

Supermedo

Augur
I played the game on gamepass for 12 hours, but I had to stop. The game has a lot of problems with quality of life features. The inventory UI is bad, the map is useless, and moving around on planets is too slow (a vehicle or a hoverboard would have been nice). But the worst thing for me is the constant loading screen. Even with a Gen5 SSD, there are so many loading screens that ruin the immersion and the flow of the game.

will give the game another chance in year or two, maybe mods will address some of QoL issues.

Devastator

Learned
I finally finished it after almost three months (I can only slurp so much Bethesda diarrhea at a time). I did all the quests I could find (even the "talk to x" tasks) before continuing with the Lodge questline. The main story is so bad it's not even worth the words. Otherwise, the game has some decent moments. Nevertheless, I kept wondering how they settled for this mediocre product. Was it planned (i.e. a shameless cash grab) or has Bethesda become inept even by their own standards? The fact that you can find a lot of valid criticism of Starfield on Reddit of all places speaks volumes.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Starfield is the product of a game developer that has become so out of touch with itself that it no longer understands what made its earlier games successful, incapable of even generating another iteration of its successful formula in a different setting.

Bethesda created an Open World space RPG that isn't Open World, isn't (much of) an RPG, and isn't even really a space game.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
isn't Open World
you can go almost anywhere after the introductory sequence, sure it has loading screens but nothing is stopping you from going wherever you wanna go, except your fuel tank capacity, but that only excludes fringe systems

isn't (much of) an RPG
how is it less of an RPG than Skyrim or Fallout 4? The Lodge makes you roleplay as a space explorer, UC as a soldier, Crimson Fleet as a pirate. You have your factions here in as much (or little) role playing depth as previous games imo. If the DLC will expand on House Va'ruun that might make for another interesting faction.

Gargaune

Arcane
you can go almost anywhere after the introductory sequence, sure it has loading screens but nothing is stopping you from going wherever you wanna go, except your fuel tank capacity, but that only excludes fringe systems
Sure, but it's more like the open world of something like Dragon Age or Mass Effect, where you freely fast travel between a variety of locations, than the contiguous open worlds of prior Bethesda games. "See that moon? You can fast travel to it."

ADL

Prophet

What is this dogshit modpack? the art direction is all over the place, mixing scandinavian landscapes with lush forest, it's not Cyrodiil, it's supposed to be a cold place with blunt people.
The UI is hideous and the outline is bad, the centered camera is pure cancer, the oblivion centered camera on dialogues is even worse, the spells animations look very amateurish and the new animations are awkward. What's the point in making Skyrim even worse?

Almost every Wabbajack modlist is some stupid bullshit that tries to turn Skyrim into something it's not and clearly incapable of ever being. Instead of serviceable first person combat in Skyrim, they gut it and everyone is hellbent on turning it into jank Souls or jank Assassin's Creed.

The last couple years of Skyrim modding has been awful and I hate it so much.

Harthwain

Magister
Sure, but it's more like the open world of something like Dragon Age or Mass Effect, where you freely fast travel between a variety of locations, than the contiguous open worlds of prior Bethesda games. "See that moon? You can fast travel to it."
Reminds me strongly of Morrowind. It too had loading-in-progress when travelling on the open world map, but it was done well enough it wasn't too bad and on a modern PC you probably won't even see it.

Shaki

Arbiter
isn't Open World
You can teleport to like 20 premade locations and infinite number of empty procgen locations. This has nothing to do with open world. Exploration is completely dead.

It's basically the same thing you would get if you'd remove like 95% of Skyrim's world, leaving just cities and ability to teleport to faction/main quest locations, or teleport to infinite random procgen dungeon. Even for Bethesda standards, it's pure dogshit.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
It's basically the same thing you would get if you'd remove like 95% of Skyrim's world, leaving just cities and ability to teleport to faction/main quest locations, or teleport to infinite random procgen dungeon. Even for Bethesda standards, it's pure dogshit.
I'm sure that if you remove all the proc-gen maps from Starfield an glue only the handcrafted locations together the map would be bigger than a measily 5% of Skyrim's.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Is Baldur's Gate 3 going to steal Bethesda's thunder by winning GOTY 2023?
Todd eat your heart out! Would be pretty hilarious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom