Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

ArchAngel

Arcane
Starfield gets a 4/10 from me too in its current form, regardless of how much fun I've had playing it. Reasons are obvious, it's not finished in its current state.
You are more critical then me even, I would rate it 6/10. Barely passable for me to even play it. I do not even play games that I would score lower than that or I quit early if what I experienced would fall into below 6/10.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Starfield gets a 4/10 from me too in its current form, regardless of how much fun I've had playing it. Reasons are obvious, it's not finished in its current state.
You are more critical then me even, I would rate it 6/10. Barely passable for me to even play it. I do not even play games that I would score lower than that or I quit early if what I experienced would fall into below 6/10.
You have to consider that outpost building has no real purpose in the game. Also that enemies do not scale beyond level 100 and thus become trivial relatively early, which is in contradiction to the game's design of doing multiple NG+ runs to aquire all the powers. Furthermore the itemization is absolutely horrible. Plus a myriad of other things. Most of the issues should be fixable with updates and mods though.

Vic

Savant
I mean, nice try... but King Crispy already told you he's not taking away your tag :)
I said that already over 2 months ago:

okay I'm done with this game, finished the United Colonies questline, which is one of the four factions in the game and "mediocre" doesn't even describe it. I know Hadrian is a clone of a man but come on, she was a really cool character that I was looking forward to getting as a companion. All I get for this shitty questline is an apartment and some store discounts? Are you kidding me.

Well, at least I can now say I've seen most of what the game has to offer, though the Crimson Fleet questline is supposed to be the best, I won't bother doing any quests in this game anymore until they release a DLC, and patches, and mods. In fact, I'm not going to touch it until a "Game of the Year" edition or something like that comes out with all DLCs bundled. Then, and only then will I give this turd another try.

Some might be wondering why I became so critical of the game towards the end. Well, it's because in the end all games fall apart, all but the classics that is. I can infinitely replay BG1, VTMB or even New Vegas. On the other hand games like Starfield, and all of Bethesda's games really, fall apart at the seams sooner or later and you see them for what they are: a turd.

Only true classics can stand the test of time, and Niggerfield is a far cry from one. After doing some of the quest content, I have to revise my initial score of 6/10 to a 4/10, it's hilariously badly written and if I add that up with the spacesim, base building and looter shooter systems that basically go nowhere, that's a pretty fair score I'd say.

The person who gave me the tag doesn't even read my posts. I also said that I can enjoy crappy games, which btw Starfield is far from crappy, but it's also far from its potential.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Some might be wondering why I became so critical of the game towards the end. Well, it's because in the end all games fall apart, all but the classics that is. I can infinitely replay BG1, VTMB or even New Vegas.
VTMB is pretty bad at the end.

Silverfish

Arbiter
you mean you dropped it after the introductory sequence? and you're proud of that too? smh

If Bioware didn't want me to drop their game, they wouldn't have made it boring. "The zombies have overrun the camp, Logain betrayed everyone and bugged out and now the king is dead. Anyway, here's a quest board and you can fend off some bandits who killed this kid's mom". Dragon Age is like a shit car that goes 60 to 0.

Vic

Savant

his (the modder's) reply to that on reddit:

Hi, author of that post here. This is kinda blowing up, so I guess I'll make a comment here if anyone cares.

As you might've figured, I was being hyperbolic to make a point. I didn't want my announcement to turn into a proper review or anything, just wanted to quickly express my feelings on the game off the cuff.

My honest opinion is a bit more nuanced. I just think this game is aggressively mediocre. I think what Bethesda does best is exploration based gameplay, which is just quite awful in Starfield. I love the RP elements. They definitely feel like a return to form compard to Fallout 4 and even Skyrim, which makes me excited for TES 6. A handcrafted world with the exploration potential of Skyrim/Fallout 4 and the RP elements of Starfield would be insanely fun to play.

Again, I'm not saying anything new here. Overall, the game is just super mediocre, with it mostly being pulled down by the lack of (exciting) exploration. I just wrote this announcement because I did put two dozen or so hours into porting Skyrim Together into a potential Starfield Together (surprisingly easy) and wanted to open source it in case anyone who does like the game and does have the skillset to make a mod like this is interested in finishing it.

I did not mean to make anyone feel bad if they do like the game. All the more power to ya. It's just not for me. I could have written my original post to be a bit more nuanced, sorry.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Even if the modders are already giving up, this game has no hope unless Bethesda starts paying them for it (to be honest, it would probably be money better spent than on the shitty programmers who made this game)

Vic

Savant
Even if the modders are already giving up, this game has no hope unless Bethesda starts paying them for it (to be honest, it would probably be money better spent than on the shitty programmers who made this game)
he is a skyrim modder who wants to design some shitty co-op mod, probably a tranny too

there are plenty of other modders who love the game and are busy creating content for it as we speak

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
You have to consider that outpost building has no real purpose in the game. Also that enemies do not scale beyond level 100 and thus become trivial relatively early, which is in contradiction to the game's design of doing multiple NG+ runs to aquire all the powers. Furthermore the itemization is absolutely horrible. Plus a myriad of other things. Most of the issues should be fixable with updates and mods though.
Sounds like a mode similar to Fallout 4's survival mode would go a long way towards helping Starfield. Maybe I'm asking for Bethestard tag but I think survival mode in Fallout 4 was awesome and made much better use of a lot of that game's systems. Suddenly base building has a gameplay purpose, and limitations on saving/fast travel added some actual gameplay stakes, rewarded the player developing knowledge of the map and made looting more meaningful. It also weakened the player and most enemies and sidestepped some of the usual Bethesda damage sponge gameplay.
Since Starfield is a bunch of small maps it shouldn't be a 1:1 implementation, and some other solutions need to be found for gameplay shortcomings, but some variation on FO4 survival could be great.
The nice thing about FO4 survival was that it asked for something more from the player without devolving into typical modder autism.

Gargaune

Arcane
Suddenly base building has a gameplay purpose
Like what? Supply lines will let you pool resources which is useful for modifying weapons and armour and I guess you've got a guaranteed bed to save in (though that's a stupid mechanic which I mod out). And I suppose you can dig a water pump and plant some corn to resupply, but it's hardly a game-changer. You don't even get a shared global stash for your equipment, unless you install a mod, a concession that even STALKER gave the player.

And, most importantly, none of this stuff requires you to build the settlement too much, there's no gain to having a given number of settlers or how happy they are. I enjoy fucking around with settlements, but only for its own sake, tapping into that childhood memory of playing with Lego, it's otherwise a pretty isolated aspect of the game.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I guess you've got a guaranteed bed to save in (though that's a stupid mechanic which I mod out).
Well you kinda answered your own question.

I suppose you can dig a water pump and plant some corn to resupply, but it's hardly a game-changer.
I found it very helpful on survival mode, having guaranteed bed + resupply means not relying on scavenging for food/water 100% of the time. The settlements are ports in the storm.

You don't even get a shared global stash for your equipment, unless you install a mod, a concession that even STALKER gave the player.
I don't hoard too much equipment, so this never bothered me. I'll concede it's annoying for different playstyles. Also, I don't believe the blue stash boxes in Stalker (SoC) are shared. Maybe the sequels, which I haven't played?

And, most importantly, none of this stuff requires you to build the settlement too much, there's no gain to having a given number of settlers or how happy they are.
You want to have enough settlers to maintain food and defense ratings, and happiness will increase resource production (although these mechanics are the same outside of survival mode). I'll admit I don't think there's a huge difference there anyway, and there are definitely still superfluous settlement mechanics in survival mode. But it takes the settlements from having zero gameplay relevance to... having some gameplay relevance. Survival mode was enough to make me happy to engage with the settlement mechanics, and it increased the importance of other gameplay systems which could usually be ignored (and adds some new ones, like illness, adreneline perk, ammo having weight etc). It's not really a hardcore survival sim, but that's the appeal for me. Starfield could benefit from something similar.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
serves him right, next time release a finished product
Finishing it wouldn't have made it good. Todd's game design philosophy is heavily oriented towards the idea of emergent gameplay coming from RNG. If the procedural generation that clearly built most of Starfield had been more developed, what would you have gotten? A few more variants of bases, a few more variants of biomes, more packets of soy to pick up as levelled loot, etc. It wouldn't make it interesting. You can't polish Starfield into BG3. It polishes into some kind of cross between Minecraft and Diablo. Todd is famous as a liar but the biggest lie is that he is making RPGs. He is making some other kind of action game.

jackofshadows

Magister
Starfield isn't unfinished or not polished enough. It's fundamentally broken, bad. You cannot polish a turd. Almost every aspect of it is so underdeveloped and underwhelming that it's easier to make a new game than to "finalize" Starfield. Earlier Beth games were suffering from this "here a bunch of barebones systems and some lazy stuff to pull it together, make mods to improve it all or imagine, larp as it was a much better game" but here it's all so fucking awful that barely anyone can even pretend anymore.

Gargaune

Arcane
Also, I don't believe the blue stash boxes in Stalker (SoC) are shared.
I definitely remember them being shared, maybe it was Complete that changed it? In any case, I distinctly recall first playing Fo4 and getting the supply lines perk thinking "yes, then I'll be able to set up these bases and refit" only to realise they just shared junk items and food (for settlers).

You want to have enough settlers to maintain food and defense ratings, and happiness will increase resource production (although these mechanics are the same outside of survival mode). I'll admit I don't think there's a huge difference there anyway, and there are definitely still superfluous settlement mechanics in survival mode. But it takes the settlements from having zero gameplay relevance to... having some gameplay relevance. Survival mode was enough to make me happy to engage with the settlement mechanics, and it increased the importance of other gameplay systems which could usually be ignored (and adds some new ones, like illness, adreneline perk, ammo having weight etc). It's not really a hardcore survival sim, but that's the appeal for me.
I think that's a problem with Fo4, you've got some cool ideas like Survival Mode and settlements which would really work with the core game concept, that are then hamstrung by half-arsed implementations and poor synergy. Survival got more granular than equivalent mods for Skyrim, pestering and frustrating you at every five paces instead, requiring that it be relegated to an optional mode instead of resorting to a more streamlined but default mechanic, like it was in STALKER. Settlements were fun to fuck around with, but presented limited relevance to the core gameplay - building anything other than a shack and basic necessities right next to it is just a vanity timesink.

Starfield could benefit from something similar.
I'm dismayed to hear that Starfield has even less value for settlements. And I'm pretty sure Todd said they won't be doing a Survival Mode for it.

Ravielsk

Magister
Starfield isn't unfinished or not polished enough. It's fundamentally broken, bad. You cannot polish a turd. Almost every aspect of it is so underdeveloped and underwhelming that it's easier to make a new game than to "finalize" Starfield. Earlier Beth games were suffering from this "here a bunch of barebones systems and some lazy stuff to pull it together, make mods to improve it all or imagine, larp as it was a much better game" but here it's all so fucking awful that barely anyone can even pretend anymore.
Ironically I think that the fact nobody is really pretending that Starfield is "good" or "a ocean with the depth of a puddle" or "muh mods" or any other of the trillion copes surrounding FO4 or Skyrim puts Starfield into a position where it might be the fist Beth game that might stand a chance to be actually "fixed". Without all these extra layers of delusion maybe an actual overhaul in the vein of no man's sky has a chance of occurring.

That said its a tiny tiny chance, higher than 0% chance that it is with Skyrim or FO4 but its still in single digits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom