Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Lemming42

Arcane
The game is fascinating and I can't stop examining it. It's almost surreal, you can actually see the unfolding fractal of fuckups and bad ideas and mid-development course changes that led to the game being what it is.

- The art direction which clearly began as one thing ("NASApunk") and then was considered boring midway through so they suddenly started sprinkling any old shit in (cyberpunk, western) without bothering to make it make sense.

- The procgen which they must have started off with and then given up on very early on, leaving an entire universe of empty planets.

- The utter failure of a single person at Bethesda to comprehend anything about what people enjoyed in their previous games, despite every review for the past twenty years clearly detailing that people like exploring interesting hand-crafted overworlds, diving into lengthy dungeons, and simulation aspects (NPC routines, crime system, etc). The result: an uninteresting setting with absolutely no handcrafted overworld exploration, few dungeons, and the total loss of simulation aspects.

- The writing which seems to have undergone a similar mid-development whiplash-inducing shift to the art style: it's a post-apocalyptic game where Earth has been destroyed but it's also 70s-themed "NASApunk" but it's also about the aftermath of a war with genetic engineering but it's also about the clash between order and freedom but it's also a high-concept thing about "Starborn" and the hunt for supernatural treasure.

Again it's like they didn't want to create another "Bethesda game" and just wanted to make and FPS or something - which would have been fine and would have served the game far better - but instead of cutting down on their usual open world stuff, they instead inflated it to a comically absurd degree while also stripping it of appeal entirely via the procgen shit. I like the game and even I can't understand how it's such a trainwreck.

With a budget that high, a development time that long, and a team that big, there is no explanation as to some of the decisions made here.

Shaja

Educated
If the sources are true, then Bethesda is an employee-friendly company. Where its employees enjoy a fixed full time job, great salaries and a great American life in the upper-class neighbourhoods of Rockville, Maryland.

Why would they have to stress and risk their job conditions? Because the opinion of some nerds?

There´s nothing better than doing some assets on Creation engine and copy some coding lines from previous games. Then leave work at 5PM.

Life is good.

:positive:

Yosharian

Arcane
If the sources are true, then Bethesda is an employee-friendly company. Where its employees enjoy a fixed full time job, great salaries and a great American life in the upper-class neighbourhoods of Rockville, Maryland.

Why would they have to stress and risk their job conditions? Because the opinion of some nerds?

There´s nothing better than doing some assets on Creation engine and copy some coding lines from previous games. Then leave work at 5PM.

Life is good.

Unironically based

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
You can't polish Starfield into BG3. It polishes into some kind of cross between Minecraft and Diablo. Todd is famous as a liar but the biggest lie is that he is making RPGs. He is making some other kind of action game.
yeah, duh. but for those of us who already like what the game is, the major complaint is that it's unfinished. I don't care about people who don't like the game.

Lemming42

Arcane
I wonder if it's a case of the game being unfinished, or more of a case of the game having superfluous shit that actually needs to be trimmed away. Expanding on the procgen possibilities won't really improve the game as far as I can see, it'll just add extra detail to something everyone already avoids.

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced - it's a 10 hour action game (a decent one) that includes 20 - 30 hours of irrelevant timewasting stuff between actual content.

Vic

Savant
it's a fair point. you have to like the looter shooter aspect of it I think. Also be a fan of proc gen stuff. It's just really different from their previous hand-crafted games.

the other poster said it's like a mix between Minecraft and Diablo, and that's not too far off I think.

Lemming42

Arcane
I loved procgen in Daggerfall, I just have a hard time imagining how it could be expanded on in Starfield's case. In Daggerfall it's able to generate endless adventures; every town you go to feels lively and populated and has quests and intrigue and danger, all handled by the procgen/roguelike type systems. But while the intent with Daggerfall was to use procgen to create a populated and content-heavy world, their stated intent in Starfield was to use it to create a vast empty universe to "make the player feel small" or something.

It could have been one of the best games ever if they'd used Daggerfall style procgen for the planets, like every planet you visit has some Star Trek type shit going on where there's some wacky society with procedurally generated quests and people and factions.

Vic

Savant
It could have been one of the best games ever if they'd used Daggerfall style procgen for the planets, like every planet you visit has some Star Trek type shit going on where there's some wacky society with procedurally generated quests and people and factions.
yeah that would be cool. I think it's doable with mods.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

Life is good.

Unlike Larian, who just made the mostly unquestioned GOTY ekeing out a subsistence existance in the harsh badlands of Ghent, Guildford, Dublin, Kuala Lumpur (usually considered one of the better quality of life cities in SEA) and Barca...

A lot of the great composers really suffered for their art. But, you know, Haydn didn't. And his music is just as good. Artists often find great meaning in their own personal suffering. And it is meaningful - but only for them. As the listener I don't give two figs about it. The music is good or it isn't

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Starfield isn't unfinished or not polished enough. It's fundamentally broken, bad. You cannot polish a turd. Almost every aspect of it is so underdeveloped and underwhelming that it's easier to make a new game than to "finalize" Starfield. Earlier Beth games were suffering from this "here a bunch of barebones systems and some lazy stuff to pull it together, make mods to improve it all or imagine, larp as it was a much better game" but here it's all so fucking awful that barely anyone can even pretend anymore.
Polishing Bethesda's turds is the entire raison d'etre for most of their fan community.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Is fascinating how there is an entire grifting industry dedicated to explaining bad game is bad.

Bullshit premise because game design isn't improving. Bethesda are just finding new ways to suck ass with each new game. Morrowind is still a better-designed game than most AAA slop released in currentyear.

Ravielsk

Magister
I love getting lectured on game design by cultured gaming connoisseurs raised on a wholesome diet of GTA, Halo and Call of Duty.
I mean isn't that the greatest level of condemnation a game can receive? When the COD and Gaylo goysloppers cannot enjoy nor defend it then you know the game is just fucked.

Second greatest being when a year or two from now they release "Starfield: I changed my mind" videos.

Caim

Arcane
I love getting lectured on game design by cultured gaming connoisseurs raised on a wholesome diet of GTA, Halo and Call of Duty.
I mean isn't that the greatest level of condemnation a game can receive? When the COD and Gaylo goysloppers cannot enjoy nor defend it then you know the game is just fucked.

Second greatest being when a year or two from now they release "Starfield: I changed my mind" videos.
The COD crowd also shit itself over its latest release, with the game's single player campaign being terrible.

Mortmal

Arcane

Life is good.

Most certainly, but it will only last for a little bit. Starfield sold under expectations, and their next game will make or break them, potentially resulting in massive layoffs. If it doesn't happen before that.

sosmoflux

Educated
They're going to release a massive update that fixes everything next year. "Who's laughing now?" meme generation will noticeably affect global warming.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Bethesda is probably the most inept gaming company in the world if we factor in budget (possibly even if we don't).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom