Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Quillon

Arcane
I would have played/probably enjoyed this gaym if there weren't these "bring me coffee/booze etc" fetch quests that required several load screens to complete. Wake me up when/if they remove those. It doesn't matter if they add a whole traditional map or whatever I'd still have to play what's there before going to do what's been added, never could be a bee liner.

Lemming42

Arcane
Playing the game again now and I'm 100% reinforced in my opinion that this should have been a regular FPS. The open world stuff drags it down. All the good stuff, all the stuff that's had care and attention put into it and which is actually fun to play, is in the faction questlines. There isn't any reason for this to have been anything other than a standard FPS game with no backtracking and no open world.

But Todd really wanted to make some kind of Starflight thing and I guess Bethesda felt they had to make something that vaguely resembled the game they've been making over and over since Morrowind, so you end up with an unholy combination of lots of shit that doesn't work. It's Starflight 35 years too late, it's Skyrim with no exploration, it's an FPS with fifty loading screens and hubs between missions.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
this should have been a regular FPS
Or more like Mass Effect.

It's like Todd really wanted to make his own Mass Effect, what with the magical abilities and companions, but also keep beefier RPG systems and also throw in chunky crafting and ship customizing and outpost building and... and... oh shit what the fuck even is this Frankenstein game that we've made.

Lemming42

Arcane
Yeah Mass Effect's "choose the next planet" setup could definitely have worked. Maybe it could have given a better sense of direction too; I think one of the weird things in Starfield is that it expects you to join both major factions at the same time and do both questlines, but you've got even less reason to be doing all this than you have in the average TES game. A more focused type of game could have tied the world together instead of it being this weird mostly-bland open world sludge.

jackofshadows

Magister
Playing the game again now and I'm 100% reinforced in my opinion that this should have been a regular FPS. The open world stuff drags it down. All the good stuff, all the stuff that's had care and attention put into it and which is actually fun to play, is in the faction questlines.
Hard disagree here, man. As an FPS this is at best mediocre but honestly just a pile of shit. All the NPCs, all the quests - the same. No, this thing should've tried go all in on its exploration/base and ship building stuff like it has been imagined initially as I understand. Yes, they failed miserably at that but that's not the reason to tack on all those shitty RPG and story elements and shooting from F4 (but somehow worse) and call it a day.

Lemming42

Arcane
They should definitely have set out to make a space exploration game to start with, but my experience of playing the final product is that the good stuff is in the questlines, and everything else is mostly just getting in the way. Stitch together the Vanguard, Crimson Fleet, and Freestar Rangers questlines and you have a decent Call of Duty style campaign, which could be even better if it was freed from the constraint of being in the Elder Scrolls mould with the weird dialogue camera and every item being a glitchy physics nightmare and all that.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I prefer to explore in Bethesda games. I can create my own story while playing in their worlds. Starfield couldnt even do that right.

3ospia.jpg

8zpnuu.jpg

Robotigan

Learned
Bethesda have no idea whatsoever why people like their games. People want more interactivity, mechanics and life sim elements in order to create their own narratives using all the systems the game offers. That trailer basically offers none of that, but just another storyline that will play out in the same script-heavy questlines in all their other games.
You've more or less restated the thesis of Emil's K.I.S.S. talk. Incredible, we've come full circle.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Playing the game again now and I'm 100% reinforced in my opinion that this should have been a regular FPS. The open world stuff drags it down.
The main problem with Starfield is precisely that it isn't Open World, instead offering empty procedurally-generated environments with at best 3 or 4 type of alien fauna to shoot at and generally not even that. Bethesda gutted the ludic model established by Morrowind and had nothing worthwhile to replace it with. Rather than attempting to substitute procedural blandness for hand-crafted content, Bethesda should have set out to create ten or so habitable planets, each of which would offer a sizable Open World area in the style of Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Fallout 4 (though less dense with content, to make them somewhat more realistic for the setting), but without attempting to actually simulate an entire planet. The game could still have occasionally directed the player to lifeless rocks, but these would be detours from the main action in the true, populated Open World environments. These would have offered the same kind of exploration as in Bethesda's previous Open World RPGs, with similar hand-crafted settlements and dungeon-substitutes, and a variety of enemies rather than fighting the same spacers over and over again.

ind33d

Learned
Playing the game again now and I'm 100% reinforced in my opinion that this should have been a regular FPS. The open world stuff drags it down.
The main problem with Starfield is precisely that it isn't Open World, instead offering empty procedurally-generated environments with at best 3 or 4 type of alien fauna to shoot at and generally not even that. Bethesda gutted the ludic model established by Morrowind and had nothing worthwhile to replace it with. Rather than attempting to substitute procedural blandness for hand-crafted content, Bethesda should have set out to create ten or so habitable planets, each of which would offer a sizable Open World area in the style of Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Fallout 4 (though less dense with content, to make them somewhat more realistic for the setting), but without attempting to actually simulate an entire planet. The game could still have occasionally directed the player to lifeless rocks, but these would be detours from the main action in the true, populated Open World environments. These would have offered the same kind of exploration as in Bethesda's previous Open World RPGs, with similar hand-crafted settlements and dungeon-substitutes, and a variety of enemies rather than fighting the same spacers over and over again.
I read that Beth didn't realize in development that a lot of the POIs were leveled, so that meant that instead of seeing random points of interest from the full list, they would only show you five or six points of interest that matched your current character level, causing repetitive gameplay. They said they're fixing this by Shattered Space

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They should have made Skyrim in space with vast majority of game being set on a single handcrafted planet. But Todd wanted to make his dream game that involves space explorations and a freedom to explore a huge universe.

ind33d

Learned
They should have made Skyrim in space with vast majority of game being set on a single handcrafted planet. But Todd wanted to make his dream game that involves space explorations and a freedom to explore a huge universe.
it would have been much better if Starfield had just been ES6 but the twist was that halfway through you obtain a teleportation spell to visit other planets, although I'm sure it would have been leaked

Butter

Arcane
Patron
it would have been much better if Starfield had just been ES6 but the twist was that halfway through you obtain a teleportation spell to visit other planets, although I'm sure it would have been leaked
There's no way they could resist the urge to put that all over the promotional materials, and in the first 30 minutes of gameplay. These are the people who made Skyrim and Fallout 4.

Frozen

Arcane
Playing the game again now and I'm 100% reinforced in my opinion that this should have been a regular FPS. The open world stuff drags it down. All the good stuff, all the stuff that's had care and attention put into it and which is actually fun to play, is in the faction questlines. There isn't any reason for this to have been anything other than a standard FPS game with no backtracking and no open world.

But Todd really wanted to make some kind of Starflight thing and I guess Bethesda felt they had to make something that vaguely resembled the game they've been making over and over since Morrowind, so you end up with an unholy combination of lots of shit that doesn't work. It's Starflight 35 years too late, it's Skyrim with no exploration, it's an FPS with fifty loading screens and hubs between missions.

I feel sorry for you if you think that is what a good shooter looks like.

What they should do with every next update of prehistoric gamebryo is to sell it as a toolkit and suckers should make their own games.

It's mostly what people do anyway with every next shitty entry of more of the same (aka Fallout, TES) - first ignore main quest and call head cannon a feature then they wait for 10y so modders make it playable.

ind33d

Learned
246 pages for this game?!

Half the fun of Bethesda games is breaking down what went wrong.
the only problem is that you're railroaded into constellation instead of able to pick different occult orders with varying belief systems. maybe they had intended you to choose between Constellation and House Varuun in dev but ran out of time like how Deus Ex had unfinished content about staying with UNATCO

Inec0rn

Literate
They wanted to release this game a year earlier than when it actually released. MS had to step in and delay the game, they really thought they had a slam dunk on their hands. There's nothing really redeemable in this game, If I'm MS I would be very concerned with the exec's and project leads that ran this production.

- a recycled and very boring predictable story.
- recycled skyrim shout mechanics, so uninspired.
- inconconsistent and ugly graphics at times, pretty standard for this studio.
- poor performance for what it is, standard Beth release.
- Broken itemisation, again standard fair.
- accentuating the engines limitations in loading areas to the point where tedious and a serious problem.
- launched years after other games already launched doing more and outperforming their own game.
- the tacked on space flight (maybe the only new thing they added to the core Bethesda gameplay loop) is worse mechanically than early space sims from 1991.
- a complete waste of the setting, you have 3 decades to dream up new IP - not even aliens.
- delayed creation kit another massive exec fail.

The only good thing the game had was an interesting art-style, and I think the writing would have been on the wall merely a year or so into production warranting it be cancelled. They also screwed Arcane and sunk likely a 200+ million in that out of touch vampire disaster.. this company has to be in serious trouble right?

It doesn't seem hard to me, release tools in alignment with the community, aim to better support your community. They can literally navigate the nexus and list by download to see what their customers want in the next game. They also need to fix or add some semblance of in-engine cutscenes for their story as well, this has not seen any change in the engine since Morrowind.

ind33d

Learned
They wanted to release this game a year earlier than when it actually released. MS had to step in and delay the game, they really thought they had a slam dunk on their hands. There's nothing really redeemable in this game, If I'm MS I would be very concerned with the exec's and project leads that ran this production.

- a recycled and very boring predictable story.
- recycled skyrim shout mechanics, so uninspired.
- inconconsistent and ugly graphics at times, pretty standard for this studio.
- poor performance for what it is.
- Broken itemisation although this is kind of standard Beth fair.
- accentuates the engines limitations in loading areas to the point to the point where tedious and a serious problem.
- launched years after other games already launched doing more and outperforming their own game.
- the tacked on space flight (maybe the only new thing they added to the core Bethesda gameplay loop) is worse mechanically than early space sims from 1991.
- a complete waste of the setting, you have 3 decades to dream up new IP - not even aliens.
- delayed creation kit another massive exec fail.

The only good thing the game had was an interesting art-style, and I think the writing would have been on the wall merely a year or so into production warranting it be cancelled. They also screwed Arcane and sunk likely a 200+ million in that out of touch vampire disaster.. this company has to be in serious trouble right?
i wouldn't be surprised if MS stepped in to purposely make the game worse. Elder Scrolls has multiple races. there is no conceivable way Starfield was not intended to have aliens and survival mechanics

Lemming42

Arcane
I feel sorry for you if you think that is what a good shooter looks like.
Few could conceieve of the shitty shooters I have played. I've battled through the likes of Forbes Corporate Warrior, The Stalin Subway, and Mortyr. Next to those, Starfield is a class act.

Nah it's not great but it's solid enough to work as a "here's something we've shoved on Steam for 40 quid, please buy it" FPS title if the chaff were removed, while it doesn't work on any level as "the next Skyrim" or w/e it's meant to be.

ind33d

Learned
I prefer to explore in Bethesda games. I can create my own story while playing in their worlds. Starfield couldnt even do that right.

3ospia.jpg

8zpnuu.jpg
has there ever been any j*wish references in a sweetbaby game? i can't think of one. does sweetbaby actually just remove all references to religion and spirituality under the guise of "diversity," and bethesda turned them down so Starfield got review bombed?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom