Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The undeniable fact that most crimes in the US are commited by whites and your codex screeching won't change that.

Just don't ask about %

0wca

Learned
You gotta wonder if Todd is basically some kind of genius for managing to continually fuck people up the ass, getting yelled at and then basking in enough praise that people still buy his new shit.

You can't be an idiot to pull that off. It's got to be some next level trolling.
I think it's a mix of Zenimax/Microsoft paying off outlets, and people growing up with his games and being blinded by nostalgia.

Todd is the old uncle whose strange behavior they ignore, no matter how many times he breaks their trust.

"What's that dear? Uncle Todd told you that there'd be 200 endings? Oh, he's just like that. Try to ignore him."

Many such cases. :M
And yet, very few people actually ignore him and consoom his crap.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Left: Shartfield - 2023
Right: Quake 4 - 2005

1694096684429251.jpg
And? Starfield obviously looks better, despite the reduced size of images to hide how bad Quake 4 looks nowadays.
Less aliased, more detailed, far objects, better lighting, terrain is much better.
Also those lightbulbs look ridiculous on a Quake ship. And how is it even able take off vertically without any jets in the front and middle lol.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Can you spawn a sword and a horse?
The former, yes, since there is at least one sword melee weapon, the UC Naval Cutlass, that you can add to the player inventory via player.additem RefID ItemNum, where RefID is the item's reference ID (26D8A5 according to the wiki) and ItemNum is the number you want added (not really a need for more than one of a weapon).

300px-sf-item-ucnavalq8d7m.jpg

Horses, sadly, do not appear to be present in the game, but you could spawn a cliffracer:

sf2l1doi.png

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Why are we STILL talking about how most NPCs in the game are brown? This is the future where all races are mixed together. Stop being retarded, fyi white skin is a recessive gene so if 2 people of different skin colors get a kid, he well almost always have darker skin.

I don't think this is political at all, you are just insecure that everybody doesn't look like you in a multicultural space. I bet you never went to a big city in your life, huh? Living in bumfuck nowhere and being proud keyboard warriors.

Anyway, how about this as a counter example for all the cherry picked content, a luxury resort where there are only rich white people, and the black bitch has to work a shitty job she doesn't like. Oh and the boss of this resort is also white.

Starfield-9-8-2023-2-13-05-AM.png

Starfield-9-7-2023-2-27-40-PM.png

Starfield-9-7-2023-2-28-37-PM.png

Starfield-9-7-2023-2-27-44-PM.png

Starfield-9-7-2023-1-31-57-PM.png

That's not me taking screenshots for this thread btw but examining the female models and concluding that they are all ugly. I don't think I've seen an attractive random NPC yet.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There are a myriad of genuine issues with this game, and people still seem dedicated to instantly losing any credibility for themselves by complaining about "you can select pronouns" and "some characters are gay!" (THE HORROR! New Vegas had openly gay characters and it's not considered part of the woke agenda).
Problem is that Arcade is a character first and gay second, while the example from Starfield is part of the "Gay guy who lost his husbando in a tragic way" meme, you find one of those in pretty much every game now.

It works like this: There is some random dude, you assume he isnt gay, then he talks about his husbando out of nowhere, so you get the shocking reveal, he is gay, (optional: he has a daughter), (optional 2: you rescue his husbando), (optional 3: you hear how he was/is happy with his husbando). Of course, personality and being an interesting character arent required.
I think it's more part of the path towards the solution, not of the problem.It's already ridiculed, it will be so more and more widely until it starts being openly parodied in other works. Culture adapts. It's all happened before.

Irxy

Arcane
Imagine getting your game's asshole blown out by fucking Braben, an actual computer boomer who hates progress.
Lol these only look better when comparing the best staged screens from 1 game to the worst staged screens from the other.
Otherwise they are totally comparable, which is obvious to anyone who played both.
Also unlike Elite planets with 3 rocks multiplied eternally, Stafield planets actually have content, also biomes.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can't wait for the push for paid mods, because I'm sure that will come eventually (again).

They fucked up though. No horses = no horse armor.

And of course the only mods people would actually want are already banned :lol:

Well, this is funny. Every Microsoft game this generation has been pushing for accessibility, except Starfield. Todd is such a chad that he doesn't even have to follow Microsoft's internal policies.
https://www.eurogamer.net/by-micros...d-is-a-giant-leap-backwards-for-accessibility

By Microsoft's standards, Starfield is a giant leap backwards for accessibility​

Bethesda has a lot of catching up to do.
From the off, I discovered that Starfield has unintuitive UI, with menus that are cluttered yet lacking in useful information and detail. For example, when you pick up loot or a new weapon, item details don’t appear automatically, so to make an informed choice as to whether to keep what you've just found, you have to head into your inventory menu to check the details there. Traversing menus is a huge part of Starfield, from managing inventory and ammo types, through fast travelling, to reading your quest log. However it’s often frustrating to navigate and understand.

Elsewhere, combat can be tricky too. The Fallout series featured the innovative VATS targeting mechanic, in which players can pause time and target specific body parts or elements of the world while shooting. VATS enriches the game world whilst making gameplay inclusive. Its time slowing mechanic ensured disabled players did not struggle with the combat, especially when it came to the degree of precision required to manually aim at enemies during stressful real-time fights. Unfortunately, Starfield doesn’t utilise VATS or a VATS-like system. As a result, its fast-paced combat is challenging for many players to handle, especially with the added verticality and movement options gained by the boost pack.

I don't know about MUH ACCESSIBULUTY but the menu system is straight-up retarded. It's worse than Skyrim was at launch.

Try selling a ship that you just boarded in combat for example, holy shit :lol:

You have to land at the dock, then talk to the ship trader to "See available ships", right? OK, you need to pay about 90% of the ship's value to "register" it. Press button, it's registered. Now we can sell it, right? WRONG!

YOU CAN'T SELL YOUR HOME SHIP OLOLOLLLLOLOLLLOLOL and the only way to get the damn thing to the dock in the first place is to make it your home ship.

So you have to tabtabtabtabtab out of that menu, talk to the guy again and select "Let me see or modify my ships". Go in, select your real ship -> set as home ship -> tabtabtabtab out.

Talk to the trader again, choose "Let me see what ships you have" -> switch to sell mode -> select the ship you want to sell, then finally you can sell it.

This has got to be the clunkiest menu I have ever seen in a game. And I have been playing games since the 80's when UI's absolutely sucked.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can you spawn a sword and a horse?
The former, yes, since there is at least one sword melee weapon, the UC Naval Cutlass, that you can add to the player inventory via player.additem RefID ItemNum, where RefID is the item's reference ID (26D8A5 according to the wiki) and ItemNum is the number you want added (not really a need for more than one of a weapon).

300px-sf-item-ucnavalq8d7m.jpg

Horses, sadly, do not appear to be present in the game, but you could spawn a cliffracer:

sf2l1doi.png
Wasted opportunity. There should be a planet with scattered small settlemeds and nomads, and of course horses and melee weapons. Could literally copy-paste some skyrim/oblivion content.

Vic

Savant
I am the first one to get triggered by pozzed shit in video games because it never makes sense in-game and just throws me out of my immersion. But in fucking Starfield it makes sense that most people are a shade of brown. Why the fuck are you so hung up about it you bitches.

What triggers me with Wokefield is how many GAYS in this game there are, and how many NIGGERS straight out of africa are "DOCTORS". That's the correct criticism for Wokefield, not that whites are a minority you fucking retards.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I have to hand it to bethpizda, they really did try to do more than just the laziest approach in some space related things, thus surprising me at times. I guess Todd or somebody else actually cared about it being their childhood space adventure fantasy in game form or whatever and made sure the little details were there.

If you damage or disable a ship's grav drive in space combat and then board it, you fight in 0g with random crap and explosive barrels (what else) all floating around inside (enemies can hit them, as I found out to my detriment). If you then fire an automatic weapon the recoil from the burst actually propels you back, significantly at that. Of course you can still lob a billion frag grenades into the cockpit to kill the crew holed up in there and nothing scratches the cockpit equipment allowing you to fly the ship like nothing happened.

Not only did they implement local planetary time but the sunrises/sunsets and equivalents for planets (dunno about moons, but for some reason my outpost autism draws me to moons so I see the parent planet more so than anything) are also implemented taking into account both body rotation along its own axis, you location on that celestial body and the orbit around the parent (best visible if you are on a moon around a ringed planet). Hell when I got the london landmark (shitty filler location btw, just a snowglobe and one ruin you can't even access or anything) I noticed they actually bothered to out the correct axial tilt for earth as the moon is aligned with the solar system's ecliptic on the game map while the equator was clearly tilted.

Also I liked it that they bothered to research fusion reactor types with stellarators and tokamaks and ICF reactors available, even if they went for the He-3 fusion fuel meme and in general this is just flavor and nothing more.

On the other hand the solution to stealthily stealing an item from a NPC with apparently no schedule, is to shoot it with your pistol until it rolls out of the NPC's or guard's sight. Bethesda design(tm).

Besides that, my sperging five cents are:

For fucks sake this game needs a mule bike mod or some other vehicle or something, POIs almost 2 km away from your landing are not unusual while the rewards for walking that much are shit. 90% of the time it's either a feature for scanning or a cave with some extra minerals to mine and one container with crap inside. If this game at least had something (a drug you can make) like force speed or how was it called in kotor (the Haste spell ripoff) that would let you run 2 or 3 times faster.

Gun combat is still pretty crap even after modding away the dumb player damage penalty. Maybe should have changed player damage output to 2x or 4x like some people did, although with this dumb AI that might make the game too easy.

Spess combat is serviceable and more tactical than gun combat despite seeming like a fighter ace fantasy at first (the ships, even with skills and high maneuverability, handle more like naval cruisers duking it out in 3d than x-wings and tie fighters larping WW2 pacific dog-fighting, although guns are forward-mounted so no broadsides). It took me some skills points, learning how to not get shot at, a stolen "lvl 12" (bullshit, the engines and other components are probably gated beyond character level 15) pirate ship with gear beyond what my level allows me to buy to stop sucking at it, plus swapping out autocannons for particle beams before I could reliably take on more than one ship. And the game loves throwing 2-4 ships at you in some cases very early on (maybe because I play on modded very hard, and the mod only adjusts player and npc damage, but doesn't touch space combat?).

Also salvage rights>credits if any NPC ships ask after a bigger random shootout in orbit between multiple factions. They give about 1k while in looted wrecks I usually find 3k.

Space piracy is neutered significantly because some no-fun-allowed designer thought you should get something like 10-20% gain only on FUN, and implemented FUN TAX like registering "legitimate salvage" ships (needed to sell them) or the bounty system which while it does reduce bounties if you kill all witnesses in a remote system still leaves you with enough bounty on your head to again end up with a net gain of 10-20%.

Did two decent, although I guess they will seem copy-pasted eventually if they give each system at least one of these, lengthy combat sidequest lines in Tau Ceti and Altair that boil down to a number of space combat encounters, some shootouts on the ground and one unique dungeon (although one wasn't very big, plus maybe I just didn't see that layout again and they reuse them even for non-radiant quests). Bethpizda writing still sucks because I expected a twist in Tau Ceti that the missing colonist group became the spacers going full rimworld raider lifestyle on the rest, so this story had wasted potential as it was just instead played straight.

Outpost building, crafting and research suffers from too many fucking resources needed for anything on top of a clunky logistics system (and no angle snapping), I think 4 or more times than in Fallout 4. And unlike Fallout 4 you can't just dump an infinite amount of junk items you pick up along the way to fuel the outpost building autism (outposts have limited storage which you must build) nor can you have colonists/crew gather random junk automatically. On the upside at least the resources can be bought from shops very cheaply in decent quantities, but you need to make a fucking shopping list and even for a simple weapon/armor crafting base with no automatic mining/fabrication the player ends up needing large cargo containers. And if you want to do craftung on your ship then good luck, cargo containers add a ton of mass (sure, it is realistic considering how much iron or aluminum you need to craft a habitat on a surface), so it will fly like a brick, but the grav drive can get you out of harms way in 2 seconds at most, so as long as shields last it's not that much of an issue as long as you don't need to fight in space as part of a quest or something. Just power up shields and grav drive to max, rest into thrusters (engines) and you can't really die from hostile spacecraft unless you have the crappiest shield in the game or something.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
And in regards to WOMEN in the game I don’t mind this at all in Starfield because they are not written like “strong independent women” so it doesn’t jarr me personally and you can argue it’s more pleasing to look at female NPCs.

This is different to DOS2 where the women were fucking STRANG.

Yeah, it’s sometimes weird to see only female guards but it doesn’t actually rub me off the wrong way because I don’t feel like they’re pushing an agenda and it’s just diversity crap which you have to live with nowadays or just straight up RNG.

Irxy

Arcane
It goes on, and on, and on... I could have captured a dozen more like this, but why bother? Anyone who actually played the game will see it everywhere & across the board. It's soy infused woke beta male faggotry and they eat it up. I've never seen people get so excited and turned on by their own replacement and disenfranchisement. I can only hope they are eaten first once their pets take over the West.
Because it isn't true, and if you did continue it would show that they are not all black women, not even most of them.
Here are two more powerful white male leaders off the top of my head, btw. The two CEOs of the ship manufacturing companies I have met so far? Both white men. Hopetech and Stroud-Eklund.
What you guys are experiencing is just that white people are a minority in the game. That's it. They are still represented plenty, both in positive and negative light. It is just that a majority of characters aren't white.
Well it's not so bad, but white men are underrepresented in this game, it is a fact. The blacks and women are like 90-95% of all non-random npcs.
Now that I think of it, while asians are plenty among the randoms, there are barely any among story characters.
Also most story characters look attractive, as are randoms generated for other means other than city crowds, which is a surprise. The only grief I have is that all woman have no boobs and are pretty much flat, kind of looks ridiculous, the editor maxes out at an A cup or something.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Leave Todd alone!

If I had a shitty product to sell, I'd definitely hire him. He's working wonders here.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I tried playing it on Xbox yesterday and I got to first planet where they want you to kill pirate boss and after that I decided to explore that planet as there were more POIs that you needed to walk towards. I found a lvl 10 Terramorph that wiped my lvl 2 ass. I barely scratched him before I got killed. Then I went in other direction and found some killer robots and later some Spacers that didn't want to share their area with me so I had to remove them. Also I found another Terramorph that killed robot dude but I used that to get away (and robot dude is immortal anyways and just teleports to you once combat ends).

First impression of systems, looting and combat is about 6/10, it is super janky. AI is hilariously bad, they get stuck all the time or forget you are there. Even my robot dude does nothing, just stands around or runs towards enemy and stand around until they get him down. Atm I am using him as meatshield as enemy AI prefers to shoot at him first which lets me get some free shots in.
Maybe he does nothing because when I accessed his storage to put some stuff in I found a bit of ammo there I needed and took it out but maybe he should have some melee attack as well..

Only roleplay interaction was trying to persuade Pirate boss to leave and that was fucking hilariously bad, it was like chat gpt but worse level. You just press random responses that make no sense and he magically after few random responses changes his mind. I would rather have old style of one long response with one check that kind of makes sense for this.. Bannerlords also had this similar stupid persuasion system but even that one made more sense.. here you get options like we can exchange ships as a way to get the guy to leave you alone with you own ship?!
And this is first Persuasion in the game and it already made zero sense.. who was designing this game? Monkeys on crack?!

orcinator

Liturgist
Just putting icons in front of loot items would be a gigantic improvement. I can't tell what's a food, crafting item, or drugs.
seriously. something about this game that makes the looting feel so mentally draining. its so detailed and cluttered. it makes the processes of going through coffee cups, folders, books, pencils and sandwiches feel like shit. I just think they need to stop with this and make these useless garbage items static background props
If you can't pick up trash and take it to your house you can't LARP, defeating the point of the game.

Vic

Savant
Non-Edgy Gamer space suits in Starfield aren't just spacesuits. They are also combat suits, like for example the mantis suit, which is kind of like a batman armour canonically in the game

Starfield-9-8-2023-3-59-13-PM.png

Starfield-9-8-2023-3-59-38-PM.png

This makes sense if you see how often you are engaging in combat and the boost packs are modified for combat encounters because enemies are constantly zipping around with them.

Or for a more common example the shocktroop space suit:

Starfield-9-8-2023-4-04-04-PM.png

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I must admit I am rather envious of those indulging in Todd's MAGNVM OPVS but my system is starting to run its course. Would you guys be willing to support a gofundme to help build a monster machine to tackle the beast that is STARFIELD?

Get a job

Irxy

Arcane
Alright, I've hit a wall with this after over 50 hours. All faction quests done (United Colonies, Freestar Rangers, Crimson Fleet, Cyberpunk corporation), most obvious sidequests done, many cool secret locations found (Mantis lair and so on). Went through the Activities log and finished all of those that looked interesting. Now, other than the main quest, I'm not sure what to do next.
How? I am 30 hours in and still haven't done a single faction or main quest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom