Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Another way to explore might be to take the random missions from the missions boards. There's a survey mission board in the Lodge's basement and there are other mission boards in bars. I think when you join a faction you'll get random quests too. I'm working now on joining the UC Vanguard and they made it seem like I'll be getting random missions that send me around the Settled Systems.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think my main gripe with Starfield, other than it being "boring*" is the shit UI. Why can't Bethesda into decent UI?

Want to buy shit at a vendor? Hope you can remember how much you have on hand, or which random chemical you need more of.
Want to easily sort between manufactured resources and harvested? Lol time to scroll through the list one by one!
Want to do pretty much anything with ship or base design? Hope you've been practicing your anger management skills between game sessions!
Etc. The UI is fuck awful.

* imo all Bethesda games are boring in the same way. Playing them for quests or storylines is missing the point imo.

I've never finished a Bethesda title's MQ and rarely even any faction/guild quest line. They're more about fucking off and exploring/adventuring until you put the game down. They're just a thematic sandbox of whatever type and from that perspective Starfield generally delivers. It's just that it could be so much better. I think this is the first time that it's bugged me like this. For comparison, I just thought FO4 was ass.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This game has even less exploration then their previous games. Just like NMS s first release all planets have some kind of """""abondoned""""" base, forgetten """mine""" or settlers. What am I going to expolre? My true self and inner beauty???????

Maybe some of the POIs are tied to planet type (or it's just bethesda switching the POI pool based on character/system level), as I saw at least one case of a random POI that might be tied to a specific type of planet/moon that I never saw before, which already would make it better than no man's scam's everything spawning everywhere approach (besides NMS on foot gameplay being even worse than bethpizda's bullet sponge shootan with retarded AI). It looked like an offshore oil platform (I think the implication was the frozen moon I was on had a subsurface ocean like Europa and unstable surface). This was in a random landing spot, not a pre-generated one visible from the system map. And surprisingly it did not involve spacers or pirates, so exploring it was decent.

Each planet got some kind of fixed PoI either like a geologcial land mark (dried up oceans, long dead alien fossil, really forgetten black ops lab and etc) they are mostly tied to the biome of that planets/moons, so at least it got some kind of exploration.

But not the kind I was looking for. Can't believe that I'm saying this but Mass Effect got some better exploraiton, for it's day.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

ArchAngel

Arcane
This game looks terrible and it doesn't have any of the features you'd expect from a massive AAA title in 2023. No ray tracing, no DLSS, no HDR, and the colors look dull and grey like you are viewing everything through gauze. On top of this, it runs like shit on NVIDIA cards. The engine is also the same janky Creation engine that they've been using forever, so this shit still feels like Skyrim.

Instantly regretted buying this shit for full-price, but I got caught up in the hype.
Finally Carlo is Correct about something.

ColaWerewolf

Educated
I think even a lot of the hate is mostly just disappointment from people who wanted to love it
I disagree, I think a hype train of hate is much more satisfying than a hype train of "love". People wanted to play Starfield because it's a cultural game. Everyone knows about it, playing it means being part of the zeitgeist, whether you want to have fun or not. Up until Skyrim, the BGS games were niche enough to not really attract widespread attention. Skyrim changed that by giving the studio massive public awareness, which did a disservice to Fallout 4 as it had a higher initial player count than Skyrim yet was received worse, since people just played it because Skyrim was popular and not because they had any interest in the setting or exploration. Then the F76 shitshow happened which primed the public that BGS is synonymous with drama. F76 rage videos had millions of views despite relatively few people actually playing it, because that's what people really love: drama.

Starfield suffers the same issue Fallout 4 does, exacerbated after F76. People just want to play it to be part of the latest online drama, not because they want anything else out of the game or are interested in the game itself.

Say what you will about Cohh, but he's right about this phenomenon.

You will get what you want out of this game. If you want to have a bad time, you will have a terrible time. It's just like Skyrim, or Fallout 4, or any of those games.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I like how every boring fetch quest has a dialogue option to ask why the fuck he's not doing it himself and they all have some BS reason for why it's better you do it :lol:
At least they give a reason, for last 30 years there was no explanation.

Vic

Savant
yeah, definitely a lot of hate hype from smoothbrains

What Cohh talks about is called confirmation bias, if you play the game to laugh at how shit it is, you will find lots of things that are shit about the game and vice versa.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Companion AI is hilarious. They have a tendency to sit somewhere when you are just standing around (arrive). Like I come to talk with Trade Authority chick and Sarah sits in her chair..

Vic

Savant
Companion AI is hilarious. They have a tendency to sit somewhere when you are just standing around (arrive). Like I come to talk with Trade Authority chick and Sarah sits in her chair..
they do tend to interact with the environment when they're idling. I found Sarah leaning on a railing admiring the view one time when I was done talking with somebody on a bridge.

ArchAngel

Arcane
yeah, definitely a lot of hate hype from smoothbrains

What Cohh talks about is called confirmation bias, if you play the game to laugh at how shit it is, you will find lots of things that are shit about the game and vice versa.
Lots of things are shit. This is the most jankiest game I played. Even FO4 (that I found stupid and boring) was not this janky. If anyone uses term Eurojank again they should be shot. It is called Bethjank forever, especially compared to size of Bethesda teams and money spent.

Vic

Savant
Lots of things are shit. This is the most jankiest game I played. Even FO4 (that I found stupid and boring) was not this janky. If anyone uses term Eurojank again they should be shot. It is called Bethjank forever
It hasn't received any updates yet since release. They are aware of the problems I'm sure. What they won't fix, mods gonna fix.

Vic

Savant
The funniest thing is tho, everybody is talking about how this game failed to be a No Man's Sky... don't they remember what state NMS was in when it was first released? LMAO

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I think my main gripe with Starfield, other than it being "boring*" is the shit UI. Why can't Bethesda into decent UI?
Mods have fixed it.

Q5ZncxG.png

Vic

Savant
The funniest thing is tho, everybody is talking about how this game failed to be a No Man's Sky... don't they remember what state NMS was in when it was first released? LMAO
Bethesda had a 300 million dollar budget though.
this number doesn't mean anything to all the peasants parroting this, we will see.

also, I knew it was only a matter of time before this UI mod was going to be posted here LOL

Vic

Savant
Non-Edgy Gamer by the way, where did you get that $300M? I can only find $200M and RDR2 had a budget of $170M, that's not too much of a difference. Also considering they have a completely new universe, they have tons of voiced dialogue, and we don't really know what is going on under the hood. We also don't know how much content they have already done but are holding back for the announced DLC. We also don't know if that budget isn't planned for all content, including future DLCs. What we are seeing now may have cost them only $100M.... unless you have a better source my answer is we simply don't know yet and we have to see until the game is fully released with all DLCs and official updates.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Non-Edgy Gamer by the way, where did you get that $300M? I can only find $200M and RDR2 had a budget of $170M, that's not too much of a difference. Also considering they have a completely new universe, they have tons of voiced dialogue, and we don't really know what is going on under the hood. We also don't know how much content they have already done but are holding back for the announced DLC. We also don't know if that budget isn't planned for all content, including future DLCs. What we are seeing now may have cost them only $100M.... unless you have a better source my answer is we simply don't know yet and we have to see until the game is fully released with all DLCs and official updates.
100 mil $ is still too much for a game where half the time NPCs talk to you with their back turned and sometimes slowly turn around and sometimes do not by the end of the conversations.

Or where all random black NPCs look like horror shows.. this can only be racism on part of the people that made these.. I cannot believe someone said this is OK on purpose.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
@Non-Edgy Gamer by the way, where did you get that $300M? I can only find $200M and RDR2 had a budget of $170M, that's not too much of a difference. Also considering they have a completely new universe, they have tons of voiced dialogue, and we don't really know what is going on under the hood. We also don't know how much content they have already done but are holding back for the announced DLC. We also don't know if that budget isn't planned for all content, including future DLCs. What we are seeing now may have cost them only $100M.... unless you have a better source my answer is we simply don't know yet and we have to see until the game is fully released with all DLCs and official updates.
https://exputer.com/news/games/starfield-200-million-budget-500-devs/
It’s unclear as of yet how much Starfield will cost in total with all other parameters combined, but speculation says that the final figure should be somewhere around $300-400 million, considering the stature of the title at hand and the amount of time it’s been under development. Moreover, if the 500-member development team part is correct, costs are certain to be quite higher than $200 million.
All estimates though. Considering how half-assed the game is, the randomly generated content, and the high likelihood that a lot of the 500-member team was probably located in countries like India, it could be only 150 million for all I know.

But that's still a lot more than No Man's Sky's budget with a fraction of the team.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom