Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Eh, the exploration and walking simulator stuff is fun, insofar as Beth games are fun at all. Gives me TOS vibes. What ... is this poisonousgaseousfissure? Better scan and collect samples. Ohno!Tothemedbay!

I also had some fun screwing around with the ship builder. It may be mostly cosmetic, but YMMV based on sperg level.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
feels like it's right on the cusp of being excellent

Woah, slow down there buddy...

This is the same 'fast food' style of Bethesda game model they perfected with Oblivion. It can be fun, much as eating a Mc'burger can be a 'fun' experience (until it squirts out your butthole), but there is nothing that will ever propel an Ob-Sky-Fall-Rim-Field insert whatever number beyond its bland, comfy, feel good gameplay into excellence.

Aside from Toddy doing lots of hard drugs and then going into Beth HQ and slapping the shit out of anyone who refuses to program whatever drug fueled craziness he comes up with (which is the only way we would ever see a game like Morrowind again*).

*Which obviously we can all agree is the peak of Bethesda games.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I like how every boring fetch quest has a dialogue option to ask why the fuck he's not doing it himself and they all have some BS reason for why it's better you do it :lol:

mediocrepoet

Patron
feels like it's right on the cusp of being excellent

Woah, slow down there buddy...

This is the same 'fast food' style of Bethesda game model they perfected with Oblivion. It can be fun, much as eating a Mc'burger can be a 'fun' experience (until it squirts out your butthole), but there is nothing that will ever propel an Ob-Sky-Fall-Rim-Field insert whatever number beyond its bland, comfy, feel good gameplay into excellence.

Aside from Toddy doing lots of hard drugs and then going into Beth HQ and slapping the shit out of anyone who refuses to program whatever drug fueled craziness he comes up with (which is the only way we would ever see a game like Morrowind again*).

*Which obviously we can all agree is the peak of Bethesda games.
I get you, but at the very least, I'd say the progression system is significantly better than TES's.

In any case, thank you for your valuable opinion. I have filed it accordingly. Best!

I just had an "important" main quest dialogue with two NPCs. NPC A was looking straight into my direction while B was looking in hers, so I just had the dudes back right in front of my face. Bethesda genius in action once more.

Vic

Savant
can you roleplay as Hitler? maybe with a few mods...

or how about Russian prostitute Sarah mod:

1724-1694356039-2033247969.png

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
This game looks terrible and it doesn't have any of the features you'd expect from a massive AAA title in 2023. No ray tracing, no DLSS, no HDR, and the colors look dull and grey like you are viewing everything through gauze. On top of this, it runs like shit on NVIDIA cards. The engine is also the same janky Creation engine that they've been using forever, so this shit still feels like Skyrim.

Instantly regretted buying this shit for full-price, but I got caught up in the hype.

In 10 years this is the first time I've agreed with a Correct_Carlo post.
That's pretty insane - Starfield is *that* shit.

Gargaune

Arcane
I just had an "important" main quest dialogue with two NPCs. NPC A was looking straight into my direction while B was looking in hers, so I just had the dudes back right in front of my face. Bethesda genius in action once more.
The dialogue cam struck me as weird whenever I saw it in videos, zooming in from six miles away for a TV anchor closeup feels like we're going backwards in time, and not in a good way. I actually really liked Fallout 4's conversation camera, it mostly swapped between two semi-dynamic angles per participant, but it did the job well, and it's not like it's a package deal with arrow key dialogue or voiced protagonists - DA:O and KotOR were the same, focus on the PC for silent line selection, then focus back on the interlocutor for the response. Or if you're dead set on FPP dialogue, just do the Skyrim thing and bring up the dialogue overlay over the regular cam. I'm quite confused why they went with this.

A few things that caught my eye:

• Food is surprisingly good looking and diverse. They didn't go with the easy and banal grimdark future soylentgreen trash. Pity that it's mechanically almost irrelevant.
  • Most equipment and ships also look quite nice. Even the aliens do look good. Like they actually cared to make things slightly non-generic. mechanically still bland.
  • New Atlantis, or whatever the name, is probably one of the crappiest and blandest cities I've seen in a game. Is not a very functional hub either since every place is really far apart with nothing of note in between.
  • The guys who designed the random roaming NPCs spliced together every racial stereotype possible. I can run the game just fine at max settings, but I always turn crowds to the minimum: La Creatura roams in large packs.
  • The superhip club in cyberpunk theme park has a single unisex toilet, with 3 stalls total, lol. The dangerhairs that worked on this gem never entered a club apparently. The sinks area alone would be clogged with cokeAurora snorters. I had a random encounter with a disco-ship in orbit, the club inside actually looked 10x more fun.
A shame of a game, a minority of the people working on it had some talent and creativity, but it's all drowned in bland shitty content. The main quest alone has been a bad joke so far.

Vic

Savant
  • The superhip club in cyberpunk theme park has a single unisex toilet, with 3 stalls total, lol. The dangerhairs that worked on this gem never entered a club apparently. The sinks area alone would be clogged with cokeAurora snorters. I had a random encounter with a disco-ship in orbit, the club inside actually looked 10x more fun.
All interiors are very minimal, if you enter the apartment complexes in NA you'll find a small hallway with only 1 room. Disappointed with interiors in the game.

DemonKing

Arcane
This game looks terrible and it doesn't have any of the features you'd expect from a massive AAA title in 2023. No ray tracing, no DLSS, no HDR, and the colors look dull and grey like you are viewing everything through gauze. On top of this, it runs like shit on NVIDIA cards. The engine is also the same janky Creation engine that they've been using forever, so this shit still feels like Skyrim.
When you look at Divinity OS to DOS2 to BG3 there's a clear technical and design progression going on despite the games being quite similar. When you look at Skyrim to Fallout 4 to Starfield you'd be hard pressed to come up with any real improvements in these areas. NPCs still have the same uncanny valley eyes, still loading screens everywhere, still the same unwieldy inventory system...I guess the object physics are ok?:

Instantly regretted buying this shit for full-price, but I got caught up in the hype.
No excuse really when you can get a Steam refund no questions asked or try on Gamepass.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I thought you guys were fucking around with the Starborn thing but it's literally space Skyrim with you finding Space Word Walls and learning Space Shouts. Incredible. All of them are shit, as well, nothing nearly as empowering feeling as Fus Roh Dah. They all feel shitty and weak and it's not clear what a lot of them even do.
The second dragon shout star power that my character received, meaning the first after the mandatory initial one that affects gravity, replenishes oxygen to maximum and keeps it at maximum for a brief time. This permits my character to sprint around almost the entire time, and is definitely the most useful ability by far, whereas I've hardly ever employed any of the other star powers.

Sarah & Andreja every fourth time I use the oxygen-restoring star power: "Amazing!"
To think what I could do with both of them and unlimited oxygen...

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

Saw this review today, dude was merciless.

Everyone's shitting on this, and there's probably a reason, but it's not this review. Maybe him personally, the way he tries to make it humorous, or maybe just anger because he praises CDPR. Or maybe that it's not even a real review, just another impressions video. But that's why "review" is in quotes.

The review mentioned several things I didn't see others do, like criticizing the dialog animations, or lack thereof. He does this with a lot of things that people who are used to Bethesda games just accept and probably don't even notice.

He also did a timed run through of a quest that really illustrates just how much fast travel is involved here. 1 minute. Just click the menus and fast travel and you've traveled to another planet and completed a fetch quest. There are cellphone games more complex than this.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Everyone's shitting on this
not everyone, I think for 80% they pretty much 50/50 either love it or hate it. The remaining 20% are somewhere between love and hate. Just based off looking at recent metacritic user scores. but the game's bad performance has a lot to do with the negative reviews. for many it keeps constantly crashing.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I think even a lot of the hate is mostly just disappointment from people who wanted to love it because they got sucked in by the hype train (somehow... Pete Hines has been doing this same song and dance since at least 2006). I mean, I wasn't hyped for this game at all and it sort of sucks messing with it and thinking of all the stuff that they could have done, or (fabulously optimistic) still could do in DLCs/mods.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I think the outpost system is mostly vestigial. When you build a helium-3 extractor the game tells you that it will allow you to "refuel your ship automatically in this system."

Ummmmmmmmmmm..............

Clearly they meant you to build outposts everywhere and slowly expand your exploration radius accordingly, but that gameplay loop is totally missing now.

Vic

Savant
so wait the only hot NPC in the game is a bitch? what did they mean by this...?

Starfield-9-11-2023-11-38-40-AM.png

Holy shit what the fuck not only is she a bitch but also a gold digger............ fucking wokies go and fuck yourselves!

Ok wait I'm really triggered by this shit now, so they do fucking know how to create hot women they just chose not to do it and make the only hot woman in the galaxy a fucking ice cold money hungry bitch?? Dude

on an unrelated note, NPCs should really visually remove their armor after you loot it from their bodies.. wait, why was this changed from previous games?? Fucking wokefield

Update: I swear this game has some kind of agenda, just now I found her dead on the street, I don't know what happened there but she was sitting at galbank waiting for a job application, was she planning a robbery or something? Jeez but now she's dead.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
I think the outpost system is mostly vestigial. When you build a helium-3 extractor the game tells you that it will allow you to "refuel your ship automatically in this system."
no, your ship gets automatically "magically" refueled each time regardless. but if you do have a helium-3 outpost it extends your grav jump range

and yeah, outposts are 100% optional

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom