Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Rhobar121

Scholar
To emphasize even more how much 6 million is a shitty result. According to unofficial data, BG3 has sold approximately 5.5 million copies on Steam alone (data from last month).
We're talking about a game whose only advertisement was bear sex.
Starfield has at least one DLC planned, and my guess is 2-3, each DLC release will pump sales. They'll also re-release it again as a "complete" edition, which more people will buy. They are probably less concerned with immediate numbers and are taking a more long term approach with this. Simply based on the fact that it's day 1 on gamepass and that the performance is pretty shit on release, which they must've been aware of.
Limit copium. Every developer hopes to sell as many copies as possible on release day, when the hype is greatest. How many casuals will remember the game in 2-3 months?
The game definitely won't be the next Skyrim. The difference in perception of this game is extremely different from Skyrim. I don't see a million versions of F4, but Skyrim has tons of versions for different platforms.
Starfield is the most played single player game on steam, it reached a milestone of over 1 million concurrent players across all platforms. You always take risks if you attempt something new. Skyrim was the 5th elder scrolls game, meaning they had 4 iterations beforehand to perfect their formula. With Starfield they are building on their previous Fallout games but are also taking a completely novel approach, one of which we have not yet seen in RPGs.
So now BG3 is suddenly a multiplayer game? The game was advertised as an SP game with optional multiplayer. MP is also not a feature that most players will use.
If it were the other way around, then of course it wouldn't matter for you.
As you can see, doing the same game since Oblivion finally stopped working.
I bet that if you try, you can easily create a long compilation of Starfield bugs that was in Morrowind.

To paraphrase, if reality does not match the delusions, so much the worse for reality.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
It's not the same game tho, just look at the complaints by people who have enjoyed previous bethesda games. The biggest difference is that it doesn't have a singular, hand-crafted open world.

I've also edited my above post to elaborate further.

Rhobar121

Scholar
It's not the same game tho, just look at the complaints by people who have enjoyed previous bethesda games. The biggest difference is that it doesn't have a singular, hand-crafted open world.
It's a goddamn Bethesda game with the same problems as every other game they've made since Oblivion.
The main difference is that they decided to castrate half of what people liked their games for.

Vic

Savant
It's a goddamn Bethesda game with the same problems as every other game they've made since Oblivion.
The main difference is that they decided to castrate half of what people liked their games for.
That's right, they decided to take a different approach by not having one, hand-crafted open world and instead have the gameplay mostly take place in procedurally generated cells, which as soon as you leave them get erased. That's a different approach from their previous games where everything in the overworld was one connected space.

That's obviously a drawback for people who are seeking seamless exploration, especially in space, as they have come to expect from playing games like NMS. But Starfield's approach allows for a basically endless gameplay loop of kill enemies, get randomized loot a la Diablo, get xp, kill stronger enemies, get better loot.

It is a different approach and appeals more to ARPG and MMO fans than previous Bethesda games fans. While they still have their quests in there to provide hand-crafted content, it simply gets dwarved by the actual gameplay loop, especially since they have decided to combine both, meaning quests send you to procedurally generated environments.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Starfield is the most played single player game on steam, it reached a milestone of over 1 million concurrent players across all platforms. You always take risks if you attempt something new. Skyrim was the 5th elder scrolls game, meaning they had 4 iterations beforehand to perfect their formula. With Starfield they are building on their previous Fallout games but are also taking a completely novel approach, one of which we have not yet seen in RPGs.

Nice cherry-picking.

BG3 just allows multiplayer, but that's enough to be omitted in your counting, a disputable quality Bethesda only has F76 to show for, but then you could just count MMOs like ESO.

Only thing modern Bethesda had to do with TES pre Julian La Fey, was making the clown Howard as Morrowind director. Just like F3-4 has nothing in common with F1-2 aside the trademark.

Starfield came to be from the very same SF boom that led Obsidian to The Outer Worlds, they were just late to the party, and it shows.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I did more of Vanguard quest yesterday and something interesting finally happened in New Atlantis (I will not go into details so not to spoil it but those that did it know what I am talking about). This was finally not a simple go there and fetch something in a random dungeon. Finally some custom content, some hand crafted stuff. At the same time this was very basic, almost standard quest in any other RPG.
Starfield is McDonalds of RPG world.

Vic

Savant
I did more of Vanguard quest yesterday and something interesting finally happened in New Atlantis (I will not go into details so not to spoil it but those that did it know what I am talking about). This was finally not a simple go there and fetch something in a random dungeon. Finally some custom content, some hand crafted stuff. At the same time this was very basic, almost standard quest in any other RPG.
Starfield is McDonalds of RPG world.
I've heard that if you finish that quest line and you go back to the planets it sends you to, you can see the aftermath of your actions, meaning it does have an impact on the world. I'm still very early on that quest line, mostly busy being addicted to loot hunting.

abija

Prophet
There is no way BG3 would've achieved its current numbers if it didn't allow for co-op play.
BG3 numbers are due to AAA romances. Sex sells and they put way more work in those models/animations than fixing quest triggers or removing obvious retarded AI behavior. Great choice from a commercial pov.

Rhobar121

Scholar
BG3 just allows multiplayer, but that's enough to be omitted in your counting, a disputable quality Bethesda only has F76 to show for.
There is no way BG3 would've achieved its current numbers if it didn't allow for co-op play.
Bullshit. You can continue to delude yourself, but let's play your game. I left out a few games that no one cares about. Guess what the games below have in common. If you have a problem with this, I will help you. These are SP games.
1. Cyberpunk 2077 1 million+
2. Elden Ring 953k
3. Hogward Legacy 879k
4. BG3 875k
5. F4 473k
6. Postal 412k
7. Starfield 330k
Starfield is literally worse than goddamn Postal.
Starfield's result is pathetic considering the size of the advertising campaign.
It was literally defeated by a game that came out a month ago and whose only advertising was bear sex.
You can't even judge the brand's popularity here because the BG series was released 20 years ago and few of the younger players remember this series at all.

Van-d-all

Erudite
You overestimate the number of people who actually care about mods
most popular skyrim mods have tens of millions downloads
When even patches are a mod, there's not much else one can do. Even Bethesda is aware how unplayable their vanilla games are, given how they pushed for paid mods, and bundled them with anniversary edition.

Vic

Savant
And no Starfield is not a No Man's Sky, nor does it attempt to be one.
Of course not, it's The Outer Worlds but with 5 times the budget. Yet interestingly, it still underdelivers.
TOW capitalized on the dissatisfaction of players in Fallout 4, calling it not a true RPG and way too streamlined/dumbed down. People were excited for TOW to be a better Fallout 4, made by the people who made New Vegas, but it utterly underdelivered.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Of course not, it's The Outer Worlds but with 5 times the budget. Yet interestingly, it still underdelivers.
TOW capitalized on the dissatisfaction of players in Fallout 4, calling it not a true RPG and way too streamlined/dumbed down. People were excited for TOW to be a better Fallout 4, made by the people who made New Vegas, but it utterly underdelivered.
Just like Starfield is capitalizing on decent reception of TOW and money thrown on Star Citizen.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I upgraded my frontier in ng+. I put a 975 shield on it, but my ship's tooltip says the shield is 194. Nfi why or what to do with it. The ship is bricked and I spent at least 250k creds on it.
Chances are, you're doing something wrong. Which is not surprising, since the game is terrible at explaining its mechanics, and many of them are not explained at all.
1. Shields do not stack.
2. Are you sure you're not confusing shielded storage with shields?

Reinhardt

Arcane
TOW capitalized on the dissatisfaction of players in Fallout 4
f76. that's what made people giddy for tow.
obsidian had perfect timing after bethesda big failure but long before new release, funding from ms, big names. and result was just some pathetic fart.
they are just mediocrities incapable to make anything exceptional, even exceptional fail.

Vic

Savant
Just like Starfield is capitalizing on decent reception of TOW and money thrown on Star Citizen.
that's a bit of a stretch. Starfield's name was trademarked in 2013, so before Fallout 4 even released, and way before TOW was even on the radar.

Rhobar121

Scholar
You overestimate the number of people who actually care about mods
most popular skyrim mods have tens of millions downloads
The most popular mod on Nexus is SkyUI which has 25 million downloads and the mod was published in 2011.
In the case of SE, it is Skyrim 202X (texture pack) and has 17 million downloads (2016)
Also, if I remember correctly, every time you download an update it counts as a new download.
I'm not sure how this is handled in the case of mods consisting of multiple files (like texture mods) but I assume that each archive is also counted as a download

Johnny Biggums

Learned

At the risk of stating the obvious, it should have copied NMS a lot more. Take NMS exploration, procgen, and fantastic alien ecologies, subtract the more finicky of the survival and base building mechanics, and mix in Bethesda RPG character progression, combat, equippables, handcrafted story and questing, and you’d have a game that lived up to the hype. The dex would still hate it, but we hate everything, that’s our charm.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
BG3 just allows multiplayer, but that's enough to be omitted in your counting, a disputable quality Bethesda only has F76 to show for.
Bullshit. You can continue to delude yourself, but let's play your game. I left out a few games that no one cares about. Guess what the games below have in common. If you have a problem with this, I will help you. These are SP games.
1. Cyberpunk 2077 1 million+
2. Elden Ring 953k
3. Hogward Legacy 879k
4. BG3 875k
5. F4 473k
6. Postal 412k
7. Starfield 330k
Starfield is literally worse than goddamn Postal.
Starfield's result is pathetic considering the size of the advertising campaign.
It was literally defeated by a game that came out a month ago and whose only advertising was bear sex.
You can't even judge the brand's popularity here because the BG series was released 20 years ago and few of the younger players remember this series at all.
You are aware that Starfield reached over 1 million concurrent players, right? Gamepass on both PC and console is how the majority play it.

Van-d-all

Erudite
that's a bit of a stretch. Starfield's name was trademarked in 2013, so before Fallout 4 even released, and way before TOW was even on the radar.
Yes, because a single trademarked word forever seals the game's concept, look and feel.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You are aware that Starfield reached over 1 million concurrent players, right? Gamepass on both PC and console is how the majority play it.

You also need to take into account people who launched the game, refunded due the poor optimization and lackluster gameplay.

FugueLah

Scholar
I upgraded my frontier in ng+. I put a 975 shield on it, but my ship's tooltip says the shield is 194. Nfi why or what to do with it. The ship is bricked and I spent at least 250k creds on it.
Chances are, you're doing something wrong. Which is not surprising, since the game is terrible at explaining its mechanics, and many of them are not explained at all.
1. Shields do not stack.
2. Are you sure you're not confusing shielded storage with shields?
I spawned in a mil credits and remade my ship with another ship and now it's fine. Something is bugged when you upgrade the frontier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom