Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

ArchAngel

Arcane
The loading screens are actually a little odd, because going from A to B on the monorail in the main city leads to a loading screen, despite the whole city overworld being one single area. You can jetpack from one place to another quite easily.

The ship they do fake. I put a cup on my console and look in from the outside. It wasn't there. So the objects in the ship are not loaded until you enter it. Its the same thing with objects and people outside. Those NPCs you see are fake NPCs.

I can't help but think that there must be a more elegant way they could have handled this.
Pretty sure they are not. Yesterday I landed next to abandoned mine and spacers were fighting some local wildlife and there was explosions and stuff. When I exited the ship battle continued and I used it to go around to other side of the building.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Pretty sure that the game is a flop. 7 years of paying hundreds of people and couldn't even beat tranny simulator 3. Those "6 million" claim is around of 200 mil profit,at optimal. That is hardly their operational cost for 7 years and marketing lol.

Egosphere

Arcane
Pretty sure that the game is a flop. 7 years of paying hundreds of people and couldn't even beat tranny simulator 3. Those "6 million" claim is around of 200 mil profit,at optimal. That is hardly their operational cost for 7 years and marketing lol.
Yeah but they can just re-release Skyrim again.

Self-Ejected
Ahaha hardly a flop. Wait till the modding tools release and you will have a lot of people returning to play such is the nature of bethesda games.

Rhobar121

Scholar
The game is on gamepass, which means that a lot of it is not even a purchased game. Maybe one day gamepass will become profitable, but it won't happen quickly, especially if they plan to release AAA games there at launch.
I don't want to believe that the game will make any money.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Ahaha hardly a flop. Wait till the modding tools release and you will have a lot of people returning to play such is the nature of bethesda games.
You overestimate the number of people who actually care about mods, even if you only consider PC. I doubt it will be even 5% of players.
Casual players don't do this for obvious reasons.

Self-Ejected
You overestimate the number of people who actually care about mods, even if you only consider PC. I doubt it will be even 5% of players.
Mh you really don't know well the bethesda userbase. I grant you that there are plenty of modders and even waaaaaay more mods users.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Mh you really don't know well the bethesda userbase. I grant you that there are plenty of modders and even waaaaaay more mods users.
Most game sales come from casual gamers whose peak of their skills is to install it on their hard drive. If a game has such shitty results at launch, it will only get worse when the casuals get boring.
I also assume that the gamepass version has limited modding options, so it won't help much. For this reason, most people who like mods probably bought the game on Steam.

Last edited:

Rhobar121

Scholar
To emphasize even more how much 6 million is a shitty result. According to unofficial data, BG3 has sold approximately 5.5 million copies on Steam alone (data from last month).
We're talking about a game whose only advertisement was bear sex.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
To emphasize even more how much 6 million is a shitty result. According to unofficial data, BG3 has sold approximately 5.5 million copies on Steam alone (data from last month).
Starfield has at least one DLC planned, and my guess is 2-3, each DLC release will pump sales. They'll also re-release it again as a "complete" edition, which more people will buy. They are probably less concerned with immediate numbers and are taking a more long term approach with this. Simply based on the fact that it's day 1 on gamepass and that the performance is pretty shit on release, which they must've been aware of.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Starfield has at least one DLC planned, and my guess is 2-3, each DLC release will pump sales. They'll also re-release it again as a "complete" edition, which more people will buy. They are probably less concerned with immediate numbers and are taking a more long term approach with this. Simply based on the fact that it's day 1 on gamepass and that the performance is pretty shit on release, which they must've been aware of.
Limit copium. Every developer hopes to sell as many copies as possible on release day, when the hype is greatest. How many casuals will remember the game in 2-3 months?
The game definitely won't be the next Skyrim. The difference in perception of this game is extremely different from Skyrim. I don't see a million versions of F4, but Skyrim has tons of versions for different platforms.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Limit copium. Every developer hopes to sell as many copies as possible on release day, when the hype is greatest. How many casuals will remember the game in 2-3 months?
The game definitely won't be the next Skyrim. The difference in perception of this game is extremely different from Skyrim. I don't see a million versions of F4, but Skyrim has tons of versions for different platforms.
Numbers are frightening Fallout 4 kinda implies you need to play the three before them even though it's not the case at all
Skyrim is consciously advertised as Skyrim, it being the fifth mainline TES game is almost an embarrassing afterthought

Rhobar121

Scholar
Numbers are frightening Fallout 4 kinda implies you need to play the three before them even though it's not the case at all
Skyrim is consciously advertised as Skyrim, it being the fifth mainline TES game is almost an embarrassing afterthought
Even the biggest idiot surely noticed the 5 in the title and in all the trailers he saw. The game also had overwhelmingly positive reception at the time.

Ancient76

Literate

The nature of Bethesda games is laziness, superficiality, contradiction, intelligence insulting, etc. And the saddest thing is that many people are ok with this.
Btw, modders should not fix any game.

Long time ago i went to the Bethesda forum, to ask people why they play their mediocre games. Their answer was that they imagine things!? They play and imagine things that obviously do not exist in these games!
I told them that they are not normal!

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
it's the same old engine
techically they're using Creation Engine 2 for Starfield and the upcoming TESVI

https://gamingintel.com/starfield-new-game-engine/
You misspelled Netimmerse.

It's the same old engine that they've slapped new code into, just like they always do. They called it a new engine with Skyrim too, but it was clear that it was the same old engine once people played it.

It's a Frankenstein engine that's been around since 1997.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I can't help but think that there must be a more elegant way they could have handled this.
They did surprisingly well, considering they're working with a 26-year-old game engine. Much of what any game does is fakery, and this is no different.

That said, yes, it would be much better to have everything exist in the same space. No loading screens, no fake ship exteriors or interiors.

But that would require a whole new engine and Todd and co have been avoiding that the majority of their careers.

Rhobar121

Scholar
They did surprisingly well, considering they're working with a 26-year-old game engine. Much of what any game does is fakery, and this is no different.

That said, yes, it would be much better to have everything exist in the same space. No loading screens, no fake ship exteriors or interiors.

But that would require a whole new engine and Todd and co have been avoiding that the majority of their careers.
It would be enough to provide the player only one planetary system with hand-made content and not go through all this absurdity.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This song never gets old :

And in Consoles? I assume that Baizuo's Gate 3 will sell more in pc and starfield in consoles.

How many casuals will remember the gamen 2 i-3 months?

Well said. Most casuals buy on launch and sales tends to drop a lot after few weeks.

It's the same old engine that they've slapped new code into, just like they always do. They called it a new engine with Skyrim too, but it was clear that it was the same old engine once people played it.

It's a Frankenstein engine that's been around since 1997.

I would't be surprised if Bugthesda steals part of openmw engine for their next game. With a lot of mods, in their proprietary engine tends to crash a lot. With openmw, I can run morrowind with lots and lots of mods and things just works.

And the engine still not even close to 1.0 release.

You can have everything in a single "scene", there are mods which does that for skyrim, is just that the game would need to be far more optimized as much more stuff would be loaded at the same time. IF the game performance is trash without having to load every single ""interior"", imagine having to load much more "objects"...

And changing a engine is not easy. You need to re train your entire team and can take years for someone proficient in a engine to become relative productive in the new engine.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Even the biggest idiot surely noticed the 5 in the title and in all the trailers he saw. The game also had overwhelmingly positive reception at the time.
Tell me, does anyone refer to Skyrim as TES5 around the places you yourself frequent

Rhobar121

Scholar

You can have everything in a single "scene", there are mods which does that for skyrim, is just that the game would need to be far more optimized as much more stuff would be loaded at the same time. IF the game performance is trash without having to load every single ""interior"", imagine having to load much more "objects"...

And changing a engine is not easy. You need to re train your entire team and can take years for someone proficient in a engine to become relative productive in the new engine.
Considering what the game looks like, most of the work was probably done by a bunch of Asians anyway.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Starfield is the most played single player game on steam, it reached a milestone of over 1 million concurrent players across all platforms. You always take risks if you attempt something new. Skyrim was the 5th elder scrolls game, meaning they had 4 iterations beforehand to perfect their formula. With Starfield they are building on their previous Fallout games but are also taking a completely novel approach, one of which we have not yet seen in RPGs.

If they wanted to maximize their sales they wouldn't have released it day 1 on gamepass. Also, considering how different the game is, and that there's really nothing quite like it out there, I'm pretty sure they expected it not to be wildly popular on release. Compared to a safe bet like a fantasy RPG, starfield is pioneering the field using AI/proc gen in combination with RPG gameplay.

And no Starfield is not a No Man's Sky, nor does it attempt to be one.

https://www.ign.com/articles/starfield-seamless-fly-space-to-planet-not-important-todd-howard

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Starfield is the most played single player game on steam, it reached a milestone of over 1 million concurrent players across all platforms. You always take risks if you attempt something new. Skyrim was the 5th elder scrolls game, meaning they had 4 iterations beforehand to perfect their formula. With Starfield they are building on their previous Fallout games but are also taking a completely novel approach, one of which we have not yet seen in RPGs.
Taking risks ad a completely novel approach by making essentially a copy-paste game out of their previous. Brave new Bethesda!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom