Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
To emphasize even more how much 6 million is a shitty result. According to unofficial data, BG3 has sold approximately 5.5 million copies on Steam alone (data from last month).
We're talking about a game whose only advertisement was bear sex.
Starfield has at least one DLC planned, and my guess is 2-3, each DLC release will pump sales. They'll also re-release it again as a "complete" edition, which more people will buy. They are probably less concerned with immediate numbers and are taking a more long term approach with this. Simply based on the fact that it's day 1 on gamepass and that the performance is pretty shit on release, which they must've been aware of.
Limit copium. Every developer hopes to sell as many copies as possible on release day, when the hype is greatest. How many casuals will remember the game in 2-3 months?
The game definitely won't be the next Skyrim. The difference in perception of this game is extremely different from Skyrim. I don't see a million versions of F4, but Skyrim has tons of versions for different platforms.
Starfield is the most played single player game on steam, it reached a milestone of over 1 million concurrent players across all platforms. You always take risks if you attempt something new. Skyrim was the 5th elder scrolls game, meaning they had 4 iterations beforehand to perfect their formula. With Starfield they are building on their previous Fallout games but are also taking a completely novel approach, one of which we have not yet seen in RPGs.

If they wanted to maximize their sales they wouldn't have released it day 1 on gamepass. Also, considering how different the game is, and that there's really nothing quite like it out there, I'm pretty sure they expected it not to be wildly popular on release. Compared to a safe bet like a fantasy RPG, starfield is pioneering the field using AI/proc gen in combination with RPG gameplay.

And no Starfield is not a No Man's Sky, nor does it attempt to be one.

https://www.ign.com/articles/starfield-seamless-fly-space-to-planet-not-important-todd-howard

You are not "playing" anything when you're stuck in a loading screen, long-winded and boring dialog, or running across a bland empty landscape. Sure, the game is techincally "running", but it's not being played. So take your concurrent players and reduce it by about 40%, because that's how much time people are not actually playing.

In BG3 by contrast, players are almost always fully engaged with it. The world is filled to the brim with playable spaces.
You are not "posting" anything when you are fixated on only how you play games, long-winded and boring arguments, or arbitrarily trying to define things you don't like doing as not-gameplay. Sure, the forum is technically "posting", but it is not communicating anything. So take your current post count and reduce it by about 40%, because that is how much time you are not saying anything meaningful.

Vic, by contrast, is almost always fully engaged with the game. His posts are filled to the brim with noteworthy observations.

How many sock puppets do you have, Vic?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Have you ever taken a 360-degree turn on any planet when walking? I bet never.
So why can't we? It is not by technical limitation that the message appears that we have reached the limit of the planet, but rather to prevent the player from falling off the edge.

I bet even with this revelation you're still trusting Bethesda.

Alright, I have another one.

Did you know that planets are an optical illusion? You can't land on them, they just disappear. Proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3cHBEWN3xI

Also, if planets were round it would be impossible for the spacecraft to fly over them. Is it possible to fly inverted, upside down? And land like that? We know the answer is no. The ultimate proof that Bethesda lies how the cosmos works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOWZGky6Rc0
And what's the matter? Is an abstraction. Would you rather have floating rock ala no man sky that gives you ther impression to land in a life filled asteroid?
Your simple mind cannot comprehend that post, that truth. No surprises.
Is simple. In no man sky you can land on "Planets" but they really don't feel as planets. They feel more like floating rocks with life in it. They are very small. I like more a system like in starfield where you land and stuff around you in a huge chunk of terrain gets generated at least i have a sense of scale.
Also dude you are trying too hard to troll you are not believable.
It sure feels like I'm the only person in NZ who has a gaming PC. I know we're an isolated island at the end of world and all, so it's really hard to ship IT parts over here.
I literally woke up this morning to a couple of friends (mostly women) unfriending me because they didn't know how much of a "dweeb" and a "nerd" I was, for posting on Friday night "excited to play Starfield over the weekend!" with a pic of my PC rig with the game booted up. None of my male friends have ever mentioned that they know what video games are, now that I think about it. I do know some board gamers, but apparently, NZers look down on you if you're into video games. Board games are "social." In Wellington, there are even board game bars where it's integrated with the drinking culture. Video games are for pasty-faced "loners" who will "shoot up the school."

'Twas the night before Christmas when all through Bethesda
every developer was working except for the testa's.
The coders were typing their hands to the bone
in hopes that Todd Howard would soon let them go home.
While the testers were nestled all snug in their beds
with visions of "disconnected" seared in their heads
Todd himself was busy flipping through Internet polls
"It'll all be forgotten" he thought, "with the next Elder Scrolls."
When out on the lawn there arose such a shout.
"The devs!" Todd cried, "Someone might let them out!"
Away to the window he flew like a flash,
meanwhile half of Fallout 76's servers just crashed.
Outside were some reindeer, a man, and a sleigh.
Todd opened the door, and he started to say
"Around here we greet each other with our Skyrim receipt!"
But Santa Claus approached without a peep.
In front of Todd he held up his bag, and then let it drop,
and said "Todd you want five hundred atoms for the online shop."
More rapid than mole-rats, the developers crowded the door;
what had Santa brought them? What was in store?
Now Todd Howard and Santa whistled, and he shouted
"I've brought you a present!" But Todd just pouted,
"It's for you all!" Santa said "I made sure that I brought it
it'd be cole if I didn't think you'd get someone to mod it"
The devs whispered now as their thoughts began to fly.
What was the gift? What had Santa brought them? Why,
'twas a new engine, Santa roared and "There's no need to pay us,
the elves and I" Said Santa, "We just want you to make another New Vegas!"
"Saying that name here is banned!" The devs let out a gasp.
But Santa threw his head back and just laughed,
"Ho ho I'm joking I know!" "The engine is for you,
for Valenwood, or Elsweyr, or whatever you do."
"Please, for all of us, retire your old engine and all of its quirks."
"No." Todd finally spoke, "I like our engine, it just works."
"It works?" Santa's shook his head "I've played 76,
it has more bugs than there are names on my list!"
The devs were already celebrating, oh they were merry;
they cheered and shouted while Todd was still wary,
a new engine meant Christmas and Starfield were saved:
Unlocked fps and fov sliders, what the players all craved!
As Santa departed the devs pulled in his sack
their new engine was inside on drives all in a stack.
What would they be first?
What would they fix?
Could there even be time to save Elder Scrolls 6?
Then Todd cleared his throat, all eyes were on him
"The first thing you'll do is port over Skyrim."
He did a dance and then clapped his hands twice
"We'll release it again and charge full price!"
Then Santa's bag came alive and lept onto Howard.
The devs did nothing but watch as Todd was devoured.
The bag took him to a place where he was lost without power.
He felt disconnected like he had played Fallout 76 for over an hour.
Yet in that same darkness he heard a rumble,
and a voice taught Shane to hear as best he could, as if he had a choice.
Then the darkness faded, Todd could see there was a horse.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
Hardly anyone is actually playing Starfield. Most are watching loading screens and bad fan fic dialog. Starfield may one of the least played games ever on Steam.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Hardly anyone is actually playing Starfield. Most are watching loading screens and bad fan fic dialog.
you didn't answer my question if you are playing the game on an SSD, my guess is probably not as you seem so fixated on the loading screens :roll:

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
Hardly anyone is actually playing Starfield. Most are watching loading screens and bad fan fic dialog.
you didn't answer my question if you are playing the game on an SSD, my guess is probably not as you seem so fixated on the loading screens :roll:

Are you serious? Millions of people who've played Starfield are saying the same thing I am. See the video I posted above. He was using an SSD, retard.

And you also ignored my statement about the amount time spent sitting in some of the worst game dialog ever conceived, or the time spent running across dull, lifeless landscapes to POIs, or the time spent watching pointless animation sequences like getting up out of your cockpit chair. That. is. not. gameplay.

Be Kind Rewind

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
because you look like a retard posting Epic Vista! (weird how theres no chars...) of the old game
comparison1ircyd.png

comparison2gtf9b.png

Vic

Savant
Are you serious? Millions of people who've played Starfield are saying the same thing I am.
How original of you then. I don't need to watch meme videos as I'm playing the game myself, and my loading screens are maybe 1% of my gameplay.

And you also ignored my statement about the amount time spent sitting in some of the worst game dialog ever conceived,
You are new to Bethesda games, aren't you?

or the time spent running across dull, lifeless landscapes to POIs.
I quoted you an efficient method I have found to reduce travel time, but yes, a significant amount of gameplay is spent going from point A to point B. But you can kill aliens on the way for xp and loot.

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Am I the only one to notice how oversaturated the green color is on New Atlantis? When the sun is high in the sky, all the vegetation looks like a lime, radioactive, melted, neon green color. You spend the most time in the game in this city, and it is by far the most ugly location in the whole game.

This gives me the same oversaturated green vibes from Oblivion. Makes my eyes bleed.

7yzpm1.jpg
I don't know if it's the color or the dialogue minigame, but this whole game gives me massive Oblivion vibes.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
Are you serious? Millions of people who've played Starfield are saying the same thing I am.
How original of you then. I don't need to watch meme videos as I'm playing the game myself, and my loading screens are maybe 1% of my gameplay.

And you also ignored my statement about the amount time spent sitting in some of the worst game dialog ever conceived,
You are new to Bethesda games, aren't you?

or the time spent running across dull, lifeless landscapes to POIs.
I quoted you an efficient method I have found to reduce travel time, but yes, a significant amount of gameplay is spent going from point A to point B. But you can kill aliens on the way for xp and loot.

So you needed to badly know if I was running an SSD to make my point valid. When I show you someone literally having the same issue who IS USING an SSD, you say "I don't need to watch meme videos."

What happened, bro? Now this fact isn't important to you? Idiot.

Past ES and Fallout games did not have the same shit dialog. Not even close. Skyrim has about 4x less amount of words and yet it still conveyed its messages and quests perfectly. Oblivion had the best side quests and side quest writing of any ES game and the text in Morrowind is very good in many cases. One glaring example is the fact that there are no books to read in Starfied, whilst Elder Scrolls had dozens with interesting stories to read. Starfield is absolute dog shit in its writing department. You have no taste if you can't see that.

The vast majority of planets in Starfield are lifeless, airless rocks with no life at all. So no, you cannot always "kill aliens on the way" for XP and loot.

My gosh the amount of effort you put into defending this shit sandwich deserves an award. I can guess how you reacted to this game when the trailer dropped:

Vic

Savant
So you needed to badly know if I was running an SSD to make my point valid. When I show you someone literally having the same issue who IS USING an SSD, you say "I don't need to watch meme videos."
ok so you keep avoiding my question if you yourself are running it on an SSD, which is a confirmation that you are in fact not. Yet, here you are shitting up this thread with posts about how much time you have to spend sitting in loading screens. Check the Steam requirements, an SSD is listed as one.

I don't put much value in these videos, there's a lot of hate hype going on and people shitting on the game to make money off of it. I am playing it on an SSD and while there are quite a few loading screens, they're all under 5 seconds and usually 2-3 seconds.

Starfield is absolute dog shit in its writing department. You have no taste if you can't see that.
I never said it has good writing. It has good gameplay, if you are into looter shooters.

The vast majority of planets in Starfield are lifeless, airless rocks with no life at all. So no, you cannot always "kill aliens on the way" for XP and loot.
My friend, the more you write the more your lack of knowledge about the game becomes apparent. It seems you have been caught up in the hate hype and are here to shit on the game for epeen credits. When you enter a solar system, you can hover over each planet and moon to see if it has life on it. I explicitly suggested to not waste time on planets with low life or no life at all, as there is very little to find in my experience. On the other hand, there are quite a few outposts with Elites and abundant alien life on lush planets.

I suggest you to stop following the hate train and just invest some time in the game, after you've upgraded to an SSD that is.

Robotigan

Learned
I can't help but be sad that every breakout hit is a fantasy game and every space game underperforms. We're never leaving this planet, society has been corrupted by nostalgia.

Self-Ejected

Are you serious? Millions of people who've played Starfield are saying the same thing I am. See the video I posted above. He was using an SSD, retard.

And you also ignored my statement about the amount time spent sitting in some of the worst game dialog ever conceived, or the time spent running across dull, lifeless landscapes to POIs, or the time spent watching pointless animation sequences like getting up out of your cockpit chair. That. is. not. gameplay.
Odd i am not having such huge problems. Want me to post my rig?

Be Kind Rewind

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
What happened, bro?
Why are you engaging with SDG? He's a chronic alcoholic who spends his money in Diablo 4's cash shop when he isn't bleeding from his anus. He's doing a good job shitting up all the Kikefield threads to the point even the Codex progressives that will defend any garbage with niggers in it have been scared off by the sheer cringe the guy exudes. He's spent every day since the game got the paypig release shitposting about the game and must have much more time spent here on the Codex writing nonsense than in the game.

Niggerjew "patriot" is an American corporate religion cult member and I don't think he has ever played a video game, he's just here to defend the interests of Israel. So don't waste your time on him either.

Ryzer

Arcane
Am I the only one bothered by the mass meter in the game?

It should have been weight/kilogram meter and depending on the planet's gravity it differs.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Am I the only one bothered by the mass meter in the game?

It should have been weight/kilogram meter and depending on the planet's gravity it differs.

That did bother me a little bit. I understand why they did it though. Having your carry capacity change, potentially quite wildy, just by travelling to another planet would create a need for even more inventory management, and the inventory UI is not great. Even in games with good UIs, inventory management is generally still an uninteresting chore rather than meaningful gameplay.

So I think it is probably a good gameplay decision to not have a player's carry capacity, and how much of that their current inventory is taking up, fluctuate every time you travel to a new planet.

Vic

Savant
that's true, but then again, you can load up as many items as you want and the only thing it will affect is your O2 consumption, which becomes a non-issue with Personal Atmosphere

ind33d

Learned
separating the map into cells is retarded. there has to be a better way to use occlusion culling. maybe reduce the player's look speed and despawn everything behind them?

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
separating the map into cells is retarded. there has to be a better way to use occlusion culling. maybe reduce the player's look speed and despawn everything behind them?

I think Bethesda's familiarity with their current engine and tools, and how it allows them to have an efficient and well-practiced content creation pipeline, is the main reason they don't ever really change to a new engine. They just keep updating the current one, but not in ways that dramatically change how it fundamentally works.

And given how they are generally industry leaders in terms of the mod-friendliness of their games and how well they do, it is hard to say it isn't a good decision.

I am sure Bethesda could do a lot of things in their games much better if they were willing to really build or license an engine that best fit their vision for a game, but it would also probably be a lot smaller with a lot less content and be a lot less mod-friendly.

Although, you would assume there must be some point at which Bethesda needs to start over with a fresh engine built from the ground up to work a certain way and take advantage of more modern methods. I would have thought that Starfield, given how different the concept of it is compared to their normal games, would have been a logical point to potentially make the investment in switching to a new engine.

Sunri

Liturgist
BG3 just allows multiplayer, but that's enough to be omitted in your counting, a disputable quality Bethesda only has F76 to show for.
There is no way BG3 would've achieved its current numbers if it didn't allow for co-op play.
Bullshit. You can continue to delude yourself, but let's play your game. I left out a few games that no one cares about. Guess what the games below have in common. If you have a problem with this, I will help you. These are SP games.
1. Cyberpunk 2077 1 million+
2. Elden Ring 953k
3. Hogward Legacy 879k
4. BG3 875k
5. F4 473k
6. Postal 412k
7. Starfield 330k
Starfield is literally worse than goddamn Postal.
Starfield's result is pathetic considering the size of the advertising campaign.
It was literally defeated by a game that came out a month ago and whose only advertising was bear sex.
You can't even judge the brand's popularity here because the BG series was released 20 years ago and few of the younger players remember this series at all.
You are aware that Starfield reached over 1 million concurrent players, right? Gamepass on both PC and console is how the majority play it.
Over one milion cucks!

volklore

Arcane
would have thought that Starfield, given how different the concept of it is compared to their normal games, would have been a logical point to potentially make the investment in switching to a new engine.
they did! They developed Creation Engine 2™ specifically for Starfield and TESVI !

https://www.starfielddb.com/creation-engine-2/
it's just the latest version of the morrowind engine bro', it's not new by any means.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom