Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starsector - RT 2D indie space goodness

Zariusz

Arbiter
Just came back to this after few years of break, for a few days i played on my old save from like 2019 but lately i started new character on updated version with expanded mod list. I forgot how good this game is, i spent something like 3 days just getting up, playing starsector and then finishing at like 2, 3 AM. Also Tahlan shipworks is such a badass mod, i love Great Houses weapons and ships (ahh Ristreza...) and exploring sector for hidden ( relic and rosenritter) ships. Also im quite angry since i found decent planet with a colony ship in system and later i also found a nearby system with mega construction that buffs your colonies by 1 industry (just beat those ridiculous Tesseract guardians, this was insane, like from some unbalanced mod but its actually from vanilla), but its range is 10ly and my colony was 11ly from that system:negative:

Black

Arcane
AHAHAHAHAH, FIRST!!!1

Starsector version 0.96a is now out!

• Take on new missions exploring the story of the Luddic Church and the Sindrian Diktat
  • Cut deals Warlord Kanta’s pirates or Luddic Path fanatics to stop their attacks… though peace may come at a high price
  • Fly new ships, including 5 new capital-class hulls and numerous smaller vessels
  • Acquire new weapons, including a lineup of missiles that shoot lasers (“Directed Energy Munitions”)
  • Face faction fleets with distinct identities driven by the new ships and weapons
  • Deal with hostile activity at your colonies and master hyperspace navigation using the new “Event” system
  • Build hullmods into ships to gain unique bonuses
  • Additional illustrations, portraits, descriptions and encounters help bring the Sector to life
In addition to these, there are a slew of smaller changes and addition, including balance adjustments, bugfixes, modability improvements – along with a new exploration music track, and faction music for the Persean League!

Looks like the update changed the physics in the most delicious way. Had 1 onslaught blow up and take out another onslaught next to it - but the latter was not only disabled but hurled forward, into my battle line. It seems disabled hulls and debris inherit the momentum of the ship now or something. When they break apart the pieces scatter much more than before.

The Pegasus might just be the best battleship for countering other battleships in the game. Link 2 Squalls and 2 Hurricanes into a single battlegroup and watch shit die. Completely innefficient against smaller ships, and I would imagine a hi-tech wolfpack might tear it to bits. The AI, I'm happy to say, is capable of spamming fast missile racks well. Also, being a missile ship, it has plenty of spare OP for the like of ECM, NAV, OP modules. I'd pilot a battlecruiser but its a perfect complement to a player-piloted Conquest for midline comps.

Last edited:
AHAHAHAHAH, FIRST!!!1

Starsector version 0.96a is now out!

• Take on new missions exploring the story of the Luddic Church and the Sindrian Diktat
  • Cut deals Warlord Kanta’s pirates or Luddic Path fanatics to stop their attacks… though peace may come at a high price
  • Fly new ships, including 5 new capital-class hulls and numerous smaller vessels
  • Acquire new weapons, including a lineup of missiles that shoot lasers (“Directed Energy Munitions”)
  • Face faction fleets with distinct identities driven by the new ships and weapons
  • Deal with hostile activity at your colonies and master hyperspace navigation using the new “Event” system
  • Build hullmods into ships to gain unique bonuses
  • Additional illustrations, portraits, descriptions and encounters help bring the Sector to life
In addition to these, there are a slew of smaller changes and addition, including balance adjustments, bugfixes, modability improvements – along with a new exploration music track, and faction music for the Persean League!
Nice. I was waiting on this mainly for the colony threat change. Hoping it'll go some ways towards providing "endgame" content while also making colony threats feel less like whack-a-mole.

Modron

Arcane
Fug. I started a new run, found a nice system just 9 light years away from the core worlds. The system has a tundra world, 3 low hazard barren worlds, and a nice gas giant. Thinking I am in the money but I go to survey the tundra planet and there are some lost xviv battlegroup holdouts living there, how do I kill these bastards or drive them off?

If I take care of the one remaining AI fleet hiding in the system will they leave or is the only option to report their location to the Hegemony and have it become an official settled system?

None

Scholar
Fug. I started a new run, found a nice system just 9 light years away from the core worlds. The system has a tundra world, 3 low hazard barren worlds, and a nice gas giant. Thinking I am in the money but I go to survey the tundra planet and there are some lost xviv battlegroup holdouts living there, how do I kill these bastards or drive them off?

If I take care of the one remaining AI fleet hiding in the system will they leave or is the only option to report their location to the Hegemony and have it become an official settled system?
I ran into the same system. Ultimately ended up just letting the Hegemony know about it, and the planet became theirs. Something like 50,000 credits and a reputation boost was my reward.

Ended up going back and digging a little further, spoilers below.

Before this I talked to the colonists and they mentioned lights in the sky last year, so I looked around and found an asteroid which contained a hidden cache, which itself contained a dozen 14th Battlegroup ships under the control of [REDACTED] officers. Didn't have a strong enough fleet to take on the 3-4 capital ships within, so I passed it over. Maybe you get additional dialogue options with the colonists if you destroy the fleet? The nearest jump point had a bunch of derelict [REDACTED] ships as well, which raised even more questions. All in all it was a cool system to see as exploration can get very stale after you come across the same things over and over. More of these unique and handcrafted encounters would be a welcome change.

I went back and destroyed the fleet. Some very interesting results:
QtcSCp3.png

And confirmation that the Hegemon were responsible for the AI controlled ships. Very interesting indeed. I'll leave the rest a mystery for the sake of mystery.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Before this I talked to the colonists and they mentioned lights in the sky last year, so I looked around and found an asteroid which contained a hidden cache, which itself contained a dozen 14th Battlegroup ships under the control of [REDACTED] officers. Didn't have a strong enough fleet to take on the 3-4 capital ships within, so I passed it over. Maybe you get additional dialogue options with the colonists if you destroy the fleet? The nearest jump point had a bunch of derelict [REDACTED] ships as well, which raised even more questions. All in all it was a cool system to see as exploration can get very stale after you come across the same things over and over. More of these unique and handcrafted encounters would be a welcome change.
Yeah I killed that fleet as well and was hoping they'd leave or let me absorb them so I could settle in that phat solar system but no dice. They have some storyline chain of quests after you report them to the Hegemony so they are probably protected from the usual method of destroying a colony through decivilization (I think once you finish off the quest chains in question then you can remove them), started a new run and am setup in a not quite as nice but good system about 15 LY out, 3 planets about to pop 4 so it's all good.

Everything else that was nice in that run was way too far removed from the core. At least I now know that lost colony is setup in a random system now and not a super attractive one just to troll you.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
please point me again to the must have mods. holy shit i'm lazy.
Was gonna say Blackrock as usual, but Alex actually succeeded in finally killing it a couple patches back.

RIP. Glad I stopped playing before that since I can't imagine the game without it.

Frankly I'm amazed at some of the old warhorses that still bother to keep their shit updated, though so much was still lost to time and the game's utter lack of backwards compatibility.

tindrli

Arcane
those are what i use
A New Level of Confidence - 40
Adjusted Sector v0.5.1
Another Portrait Pack
Arsenal Expansion 1.5.4a
asteroid ship pack-1.4a
Audio Plus
Autosave-1.2
Better Colonies-1.86
Captains Log-0.1.6
Carter's Freetraders 1.5
Caymons Ship pack-1.2.1
Combat Alarm Sounds
Combat Chatter-1.12
Commissioned Crews-1.999999ggg
Console Commands
Detailed Combat Results-5.3.0
Diable Avionics-2.7.0rc1
DIABLEAVIONICS
ED Shipyard
Extratential Lanestate Union-0.8.1a-RC2
fluffShipPack
GladiatorSociety
Grand.Colonies-1.0.d
GraphicsLib
High Tech Expansion-1.4.10
Hiver Swarm 1.08a
HMI
Industrial.Evolution3.2.c
Interstellar Imperium
Kadur Remnant
Keruvim Shipyards-0.5
LazyLib
Legacy of Arkgneisis-v1.9.11
Luddic_Enhancement
Machina Void Shipyards-0.60
MagicLib
Mayasuran Navy-9.0.0 RC4
Missing ships
Nexerelin
Oculian Armada-0.9.2b
Oculian Pirates addon-0.3.0
ORA
Outer Rim Alliance-0.95rc1
Persean-Chronicles-2.0.3-rc2
prv Starworks-v25.1
Quality Captains-1.1.1h
Roider Union-1.4.5
RotcesRats-0.3.0
SanguinaryAutonomistDefectors
ScalarTech Solutions-0.8.7
SCY
Scy Nation-1.6.6rc3
Seeker - Unidentified Contact-0.5.3rc1
SEEKER_UC
Shadowyards
ShipWeapon Pack-1.13.0
SpeedUp-0.7.2
Starship Legends-2.2.2
Stellar Networks-2.6.1
Superweapons Arsenal-2.5b
tahlan-shipworks
Terraforming and Station Construction
The Star Federation-0.98-RC6 - Bugfixes and Beams
Unknown Skies-1.0.0rc2
Vayra's Sector
Vayra's Ship Pack
WhichMod-1.2.1
YunruCore-2022-09-30
Yunrus Arsenal-2022-08-07
Yunrus Pirates and Pathers-2022-09-30

Last edited:

PapaPetro

those are what i use
A New Level of Confidence - 40
Adjusted Sector v0.5.1
Another Portrait Pack
Arsenal Expansion 1.5.4a
asteroid ship pack-1.4a
Audio Plus
Autosave
Autosave-1.2
Better Colonies-1.86
Captains Log-0.1.6
Carter's Freetraders 1.5
Caymon's Ship Pack
Caymons Ship pack-1.2.1
Combat Alarm Sounds
Combat Chatter-1.12
Commissioned Crews-1.999999ggg
Console Commands
Detailed Combat Results-5.3.0
Diable Avionics-2.7.0rc1
DIABLEAVIONICS
ED Shipyard
enabled_mods.json
enabled_mods.json.bak
Extratential Lanestate Union-0.8.1a-RC2
fluffShipPack
GladiatorSociety
Grand.Colonies-1.0.d
GraphicsLib
High Tech Expansion-1.4.10
Hiver Swarm 1.08a
HMI
Industrial.Evolution3.2.c
Interstellar Imperium
Kadur Remnant
Keruvim Shipyards-0.5
LazyLib
Legacy of Arkgneisis-v1.9.11
LISTA.TXT
Luddic_Enhancement
Machina Void Shipyards-0.60
MagicLib
Mayasuran Navy-9.0.0 RC4
Missing ships
Nexerelin
Oculian Armada-0.9.2b
Oculian Pirates addon-0.3.0
ORA
Outer Rim Alliance-0.95rc1
Persean-Chronicles-2.0.3-rc2
prv Starworks
prv Starworks-v25.1
Quality Captains-1.1.1h
Roider Union-1.4.5
RotcesRats-0.3.0
SanguinaryAutonomistDefectors
ScalarTech Solutions-0.8.7
SCY
Scy Nation-1.6.6rc3
Seeker - Unidentified Contact-0.5.3rc1
SEEKER_UC
Shadowyards
ShipWeapon Pack-1.13.0
SpeedUp-0.7.2
Starship Legends-2.2.2
Stellar Networks-2.6.1
Superweapons Arsenal
Superweapons Arsenal-2.5b
tahlan-shipworks
Terraforming and Station Construction
The Star Federation-0.98-RC6 - Bugfixes and Beams
Unknown Skies-1.0.0rc2
UnknownSkies
Vayra's Sector
Vayra's Ship Pack
WhichMod-1.2.1
YunruCore-2022-09-30
Yunrus Arsenal-2022-08-07
Yunrus Pirates and Pathers-2022-09-30
How much ram you running?

Modron

Arcane
I've never really been around in Starsector at the same time as when a hotfix is released, do patches require you to start new games? Definitely a few bugs in current release as I've ran into one in the Pilgrims' Path quest chain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom