Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter STASIS - An Indie Space Adventure Game - now with CAYNE DLC

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Before Grimoire.

polo

Magister
Pyke is such a tease, he deserves to die (after completing stasis and the awesome RPG he is going to make with styg).

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
004f273f1a75c8349fad69387ee68256_large.gif

CRUSADER REMAKE CONFIRMED

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yo, Chris.

Is there any way to upgrade my pledge?

I want in on the alpha/beta access of the game, you are planning to release soon? How far up the pledge ladder I gotta go for dat? :)

Machocruz

Arcane
Hey Pyke, what are you using for visual reference for the architecture of the ship, if anything? Movies, other games, submarines, NASA, etc?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fuck Crusader was amazing. Pyke make a spiritual successor!

Pyke won't do it.

Leave it to Electronic Arts for some hot new Crusader: No Refunds. No technology limitations, no hard combat, no destroying environments. A true spiritual successor, only on Origin platform.
Crusader: No Refunds .. even starts with a "r", Unkillable Cat approves, yes ?
Sadly, we will be only getting Crusader: No Release.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Hey Pyke, what are you using for visual reference for the architecture of the ship, if anything? Movies, other games, submarines, NASA, etc?

Each area has its own language that is divided into 3 pieces. Structure, Colour, Sound. I've tried to make certain that each new place that you visit has a very different and unique feel, as well as making sure that the colours of the game progress and help to tell the story. If you look at the 2 GIFS these changes are very apparent. The green and bright colours in the Hydroponics are a very direct opposite to the more sterile medical environments (the laser scene). The game also slightly removes colour during certain conversations and places, and brings it back in other areas. There is one area that based on old black and white photos - and its coloured to make it 'feel' like that - but without being overt about it.

For the structure itself, lots of references from submarines and old aircraft carriers. Oil rigs, oil tankers...vessels that house hundreds of people in confined spaces! Then when we move to other areas of the ship, those same base structures stay in place - but the finishes start to change, and then I can start to clip on new 'pieces' of walls, so the spaces start to become more manufactured and 'curved' as they go more and more 'high tech'. For the high tech stuff I looked at classic 70's TV shows and films. Plastic and vacuum forming was HUGE back then, so everything had these awesome rounded corners and clean surfaces.

For the sounds, even sounds that I repeat get a different treatment in each area. Echoes change, the warmth or wetness of the sound changes...
Sounds also go from slightly 'broken' to more high tech dependent on where you are. The ambient noise is also very different in certain areas - with some having the sound almost completely taken away. Ive really enjoyed the sound design process - its honestly one of my favorite things!

Once you've established a language in a space it can be fun to mix it up with something else, with the idea being that a person has an 'uneasy' feeling - but they may not know why. So you have a stark and clean medical room - but you connect it with a more industrial looking gangway system. Hopefully the message is that while its a 'hospital', its a hospital that's based around a very uncaring and mechanical (factories are very much uncaring places) worldview.

Its my hope that people wont notice these things - but will instead have an emotional reaction to the changing environments without being totally aware of it happening.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Thanks dudes! Its a huge 8 page feature on the game - and NAG is the largest gaming magazine in Southern Africa.

Was a pretty damned cool thing. :D

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks dudes! Its a huge 8 page feature on the game - and NAG is the largest gaming magazine in Southern Africa.

Was a pretty damned cool thing. :D
How much Mountain Dew and Doritos did you bribe them with? Huh? Huh? HUH!?

buzz

Arcane
:x in another dimension, a significantly more happy buzz is playing Fallout 5 that has graphics like the one in that mock-up.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
I took a shitty photo with my phone. Here is the actual image.

Zzbv9x8.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom