Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Steam curators

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just do not see the point of the curator page if it is meant only for codexers.

those people would complain about Baldur's Gate or hell Icewind Dale likely because its "too slow", we should not care about people that are vapid or ADD morons with their first ARPG, just because they played Dark Souls doesnt mean they share the same interests as Codex users or
Even if 90% of them would complain and go away, it would be worth to spread :incline: to those remaining 10%.

that we should jump on bandwagons to be "relevant" ... because that would be just sucking on popularity cock for the same of being popular.
Point is, we would not be jumping anywhere. Like it or not, The Codex already loves Dark Souls. We are just now not officially admitting it on the curator page because REASONS.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The curator is a good way for outsiders to see what we like and why we like it.

And that is exactly the problem with that stuff: it shows what people like, not what is good. As for the why, one way or another, it does not explain anything, and these cute little blurbs hardly count for I've seen any other games described in the same non-informative fashion. The Top 70 was a bit more detailed but similarly bad as it was just another list that shows the preferences of a group of people, which is something you can find everywhere else on the Net.

If you really want to make a difference, then raise your standards and ask others to raise theirs. Exposition or not, those who want quality will find it, and the rest hardly counts. Lists like these are just light entertainment crap, and people like lists because they are easy to digest and fun to make without much of a challenge one way or another. But this "curator" thing is another way for Valve to encourage people to become shills for their online distribution platform.

Drakron

Arcane
I just do not see the point of the curator page if it is meant only for codexers.

There is no point.

The entire thing is just some stupid insane what the fuck inanity from Steam, its you deciding you literally have no brain and having someone making the decisions for you ... some "personality" making your choices for you.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The thing is that it's really not that useful for Codexers, seeing as most Codexers on Steam probably already own most of the games on it. The only thing I get on my front page for following this collection is a few indie RPGs I haven't bought yet.

It's a showcase of Codexian taste and another outpost of our site. Your argument is kind of weird, to be honest. Would you ask Crooked Bee to start tweeting about Dragon Age on our Twitter feed?

(By the way, the idea of a "boutique curator" isn't unique. For example, here is the Sneaky Bastards curator, with only 10 games that are up to standard: http://store.steampowered.com/curator/3254869-SneakyBastards/

No Thi4f or Asscreed here.)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Gragt

Are you aware there is a link to full reviews just under the blurb?
yeah so it's a big plus if it's something we have actually reviewed (or in worst case have in the top 70 list).

Drakron

Arcane
Are you aware there is a link to full reviews just under the blurb?

Let me pick TotalBuiscuit since its a great example of what is wrong with this.

His full review is a link to his YouTube video ... a video he MAKES MONEY from ... sure there is a link to a full review but this shows the problem, YouTube personalities are already using this to increase not only their exposure but also to further monetize their YT channels.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The thing is that it's really not that useful for Codexers, seeing as most Codexers on Steam probably already own most of the games on it.
Precisely.

It's a showcase of Codexian taste and another outpost of our site.
Which nobody from outside The Codex will ever check/follow.

Your argument is kind of weird, to be honest. Would you ask Crooked Bee to start tweeting about Dragon Age on our Twitter feed?
No, because DA:O is not generally viewed as a good game here (I would say 50/50) and DA2 is generally considered terrible, so it would be dishonest.

I only ask to officially endorse games that we actually like here. Right now, it seems like some of them are off the record because they not fit some imagined profile (like the 5 points you posted earlier).

(By the way, the idea of a "boutique curator" isn't unique. For example, here is the Sneaky Bastards curator, with only 10 games that are up to standard: http://store.steampowered.com/curator/3254869-SneakyBastards/

No Thi4f or Asscreed here.)
I do not know shit about stealth genre, but ok, so we should not put Skyrim or Amalur on ours. I agree wholeheartedly.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Which nobody from outside The Codex will ever check/follow.

Well, since Crooked Bee started tweeting about it yesterday, the Codex curation page has gotten 400+ followrs.

In contrast, the group only has ~160 "members", who can be assumed to all be Codexers. So, do the math.

That said, I don't care.

TripJack

Hedonist
it's not about what Codexers like. It's about what is Codexian. I believe there is a difference.
wat

Here's my analysis of the five "intellectual currents" of today's RPG Codex:

1) Black Isle-ism. Probably the most important current, and the founding philosophy of this site. "Black Isle-style" means any game that belongs to the lineage of Planescape: Torment, Fallout and Arcanum. RPGs with lots of scripted choice and consequence, novel storylines and interesting, non-generic settings. This current manifests as a sometimes unseemly fanboyism for Black Isle successor companies - Troika (especially), Obsidian (to a lesser extent) and, if things go well, inXile.

2) Nostalgic oldfag-ism. This is a general yearning for older forms of RPGs. In particular, not just Black Isle-style RPGs but also older ones. Blobbers, dungeon crawlers, Gold Box, Wizardry & Ultima, etc. Posters like mondblut and Sceptic represent this current well.

3) Anti-popamole-ism. This is a harsh dislike for various modern trends in RPGs, including consolization, romances, quest arrows, and the like, and also for the companies that most exemplify those trends - post-NWN Bioware and post-Morrowind Bethesda.

4) Eurodev underdog-ism. A relatively high tolerance for games made by European underdog RPG developers, and an appreciation for their unique "quirky" natures. That means Larian, Piranha Bytes, CD Projekt, etc. This current isn't as strong as it used to be, since most of these companies have proven to be fairly popamole themselves, with the notable exception of Larian.

5) Tactical combatfag-ism. Obviously, this current represents the people on the Codex who really like tactical combat. The JA2 fans who want JA2 combat in every RPG. This current was deemed important enough to get its own RPG Codex spinoff site, Tacticular Cancer, with mixed results.

I've found that most games that people consider "Codexian" fit well with one or more of the above.
except for all of the 'codexian' games that are not rpgs?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I agree with MicoSelva, extremism leads nowhere. On the book I try to be very subtle; I may include Fallout 3 and Oblivion so that popamoles feel represented (people LOVE to have their tastes acknoledged), but I make it clear that they are not the best games around and gently point them towards better stuff.

Also, Dark Souls 1 is old-school, because Dark Souls 2 is popamole and removed all consequences from killing NPCs. :3

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
How about you read my post?
let me paraphrase my reply:
what some other guys with no connection to the codex do with this new steam feature is completely irrelevant to the codex or what it does with the feature. what steam intends for the feature is also completely irrelevant to the codex and what it does with the feature.
And that is exactly the problem with that stuff: it shows what people like, not what is good.
and what is the distinction between those two exactly? can there be something good for a person who doesn't like it, or something bad for a person who does?

Drakron

Arcane
what some other guys with no connection to the codex do with this new steam feature is completely irrelevant to the codex or what it does with the feature.

I once again point out the Curator system is just when you decide you literally have no brain and need others to make decisions for it.

Its a fucking recommendation list.

Since it will be weighted by followers what happens is what shows up on Magika store page on Recommended by Curators is TB review because he is top, Wasteland 2? PC Gamer ... the point you apparent do not want to see is that their "full reviews" are linked to 3rd party sites, in TB case his videos and in PC Gamer case their website ... they make ad revenue money out of it.

You keep harping about what the Codex does with the feature yet we arent fucktards that need some dipshit to tell us to play that game, we can make our own decisions ... its just a fucking list, just because you think Alpha Protocol is great and a must play doesnt change the fact I think its a shitty Mass Effect clone and guess what? the curator for that game is Bro Team and I should not need to say were their full review leads.

Enjoy being total irrelevant as YT personalities dominate the Curator system because ... you are invisible, buried under pages of YT trying to cash in on links and using the curator system to inbcrease their YT revenue.

there be something good for a person who doesn't like it, or something bad for a person who does?

Yes, like Oblivion ... we done here.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I'm very angry about people exploiting features for their own interests.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
For something as popamole as a steam list, it's better to be more inclusive than exclusive. If we can save but a single soul by including dark souls or dishonored or what have you, we should.

Mortmal

Arcane
Alpha protocol on list ? if you like so much shooters, stalker is a much better option. MMX to thanks UBI for the paycheck ok i understand i like money too, but its not especially good.
List in is overall ok but missing skyrim, dragon age , and more important dark souls when you include action its completely dishonest to not add them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom