Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam Deck ~ PC Switch

Will you buy one?

• Yes, take my jew scheckles!

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • No, this is consolitis creeping into a PC.

Votes: 63 36.8%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 46 26.9%

• Total voters

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
pretty sure you won't want to install windows because there won't be drivers for most of the custom hardware...
You might be right, but that would be a big missed opportunity for the Deck. Linux gaming is getting there, but still only a fraction of games are running on it.

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck/mygames
Checked out the page above, and I got the following results:
Out of my library 12 games are verified as Deck compatible, 10 games are playable, 4 are unsupported and 131 are untested.
Yeah, Linux gaming has a long way to go.

More games than that are playable on Linux. Those are just the games officially verified by Steam.

I wonder how many games that actually do work are not included in the supported list because of problems with the anti-cheat. Valve obviously cannot allow such games officially but those of us that don't care might profit from it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Linux fans should rejoice i think. It's no longer just a matter of good will Valve actually has a corporate reason to back Linux ports now.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The big takeaway, as that long-haired dude put it, is that the Deck is basically a miniature PC.

You can even connect a keyboard and mouse to it.

FWIW this was known from the beginning, this is a photo Valve took where they connected a good ol' CRT to it:

Sf1QOQM.jpg

(this is somewhat hidden in this page, search for "butts")

jimster

Educated
Linux fans should rejoice i think. It's no longer just a matter of good will Valve actually has a corporate reason to back Linux ports now.

I think this was the incentive all along, even though it wasn't tangible when they began the ports. They always wanted to move away from Microsoft's grip. Steam Machines walked so Deck can run.

Though I'm not sure we're going to see that many more native Linux ports, moreso better Proton compatibility which is very welcome too. Gaming on Linux is in a much better place than it was a few years ago, I found myself needing to tinker less and less, games usually work fine on the first launch. There's now a company with the liability to fix compatibility, so you can go complain to them on Github instead of praying you'll get a response on WineHQ. It bugs me when I see people say the Deck "isn't ready" when they haven't seen what Linux gaming was like up until recently. It's a better time than ever.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Some people are already experiencing drift issues with the analogue sticks.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/some-early-steam-deck-customers-report-joystick-drift

Might be dirt.

I got the drift on my Xbox One controller but turns out all i had to do is pop the stick up and blow at it and it's been working perfectly ever since.

Not saying it's not possible that Valve fucked this up but it seems a bit early to get problems like this. Even a cheap 10 euro replica of a 360 controller i had lasted at least a year.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Some people are already experiencing drift issues with the analogue sticks.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/some-early-steam-deck-customers-report-joystick-drift

Might be dirt.

I got the drift on my Xbox One controller but turns out all i had to do is pop the stick up and blow at it and it's been working perfectly ever since.

Not saying it's not possible that Valve fucked this up but it seems a bit early to get problems like this. Even a cheap 10 euro replica of a 360 controller i had lasted at least a year.

It's a software issue that should be fixed now: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/03/steam-deck-gets-an-os-update-to-help-solve-stick-drift/

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
pretty sure you won't want to install windows because there won't be drivers for most of the custom hardware...

Steam Deck Windows drivers are now available

Hello!

Have we mentioned Steam Deck is a PC? Like any other PC, you can install other applications and OSes if you'd like. For those interested in installing Windows, you'll need a few additional drivers to have the best experience. Links to these, along with notes for installing Windows on Steam Deck can be found here.

Steam Deck Windows Resources

A few quick notes about these resources.
  • For now you can only perform a full Windows install. While Steam Deck is fully capable of dual-boot, the SteamOS installer that provides a dual-boot wizard isn't ready yet.
  • Also for now, you can only install Windows 10. Windows 11 requires a new BIOS that is currently in the pipe (which provides fTPM support) and will be shipping soon.
  • Drivers are provided for GPU, WiFi, and Bluetooth. Audio drivers are still in the works with AMD and other parties - but you'll still be able to use Bluetooth or USB-C audio with Windows on Deck.
Lastly, we are providing these resources as is and are unfortunately unable to offer 'Windows on Deck' support. If you get stuck and need a way back to the default Steam Deck OS, please follow
these recovery instructions.

That's it for today, thanks!

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1675200/announcements/detail/3131696199122435100

deama

Prophet
Bloody windows, they should devote the energy making games on linux better than making things run windows ffs!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Bloody windows, they should devote the energy making games on linux better than making things run windows ffs!

They aren't devoting much more energy to it. Then again, they originally weren't planning on even doing what they just did.

I'm guessing it's the shitty proprietary AMD drivers.

ADL

Prophet
Not surprised Cyberpunk runs better on Linux than it does on Windows. Similar results on desktops too.

It's not just Cyberpunk, it's been a trend I've seen for the past year or two in multiple titles. It's pretty impressive that games are running better through the Proton compatibility layer than the officially supported operating systems they were intended for.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

LOL, he wants a 8-10 hour lasting battery while playing AAA games like Read Dead 2. And I guess we should throw the laws of physics out of the window.

But of course you can play on the Switch for 5 hours while playing AAA games like ...... Mario Cart. XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom