Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam Deck ~ PC Switch

Will you buy one?

• Yes, take my jew scheckles!

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • No, this is consolitis creeping into a PC.

Votes: 63 36.8%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 46 26.9%

• Total voters

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Steve is so much better than Linus lmao.
Depends on what you like.

Linus gives you just the Tip, but is entertaining.

Steve gives you the whole thing, he goes deep but sometimes it's more than you want to handle. And he's a bit dry.

Personally, I like Aussie Steve best. A well-oiled machine.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Not really surprised with AAA games getting good numbers, between the 800p display and beefed up iGPU.

Low resolution is a miracle solution that isn't exploited enough, the FPS gains can be enormous.

That's true even if you intend to dock it: in most cases I'll gladly pick 720p over 1440p if that's what it takes to get 60FPS, or much higher like 144, even on a 32" monitor. As long as you get integer scaling it's still perfectly serviceable, and with tools like ReShade still operating at 1440p you end up with a much cleaner result than you'd expect.

I don't know, 720p looks rather pixely on my 27" screen, even with integer scaling.

ferratilis

Magister
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1675180/announcements/detail/4347665658888576969
Steam Deck: Replacement Parts
Hi all,

Hope everyone’s doing well – 10 days and counting until launch day! We have some exciting news to share. If you watched our Take a look inside Steam Deck video (aka the “please don’t do this” video), you may remember we said certain Steam Deck replacement parts would be available for purchase.

Today, we’re announcing that
iFixit
will be one of the authorized sellers of Steam Deck replacement parts – as well as replacement parts for the Valve Index VR products. We are still hammering out the details, and will be sharing more info on this soon.

And in case you missed it, don’t forget to check out iFixit’s teardown of Steam Deck just posted today.

56a66921ff69d296174628e9d4224a001f2a129a.jpg

image via ifixit.com

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So when can we start not being able to buy this because the 3 units Valve makes per month is woefully inadequate?

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Not really surprised with AAA games getting good numbers, between the 800p display and beefed up iGPU.

Low resolution is a miracle solution that isn't exploited enough, the FPS gains can be enormous.

That's true even if you intend to dock it: in most cases I'll gladly pick 720p over 1440p if that's what it takes to get 60FPS, or much higher like 144, even on a 32" monitor. As long as you get integer scaling it's still perfectly serviceable, and with tools like ReShade still operating at 1440p you end up with a much cleaner result than you'd expect.
Game engine implementation of FSR and RSR post-processing should both serve as a pretty nice boost to any kind of upscaling.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Steve is so much better than Linus lmao.
Depends on what you like.

Linus gives you just the Tip, but is entertaining.

Steve gives you the whole thing, he goes deep but sometimes it's more than you want to handle. And he's a bit dry.

Personally, I like Aussie Steve best. A well-oiled machine.

I find refreshing to have ONE tech review site that doesn't treat me like an idiot.

jimster

Educated
The L*nus one is total clickbait. He's generally positive about it in the actual video.

Codex Year of the Donut

Game engine implementation of FSR and RSR post-processing should both serve as a pretty nice boost to any kind of upscaling.
there's a patch to implement FSR at the wine level so it works for any game

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The L*nus one is total clickbait. He's generally positive about it in the actual video.
He is positive towards the concept and the hardware, but half of the video is about the flawed things. But he is optimistic about the improvements to come.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The consensus seems to be that the hardware is amazing for the price, but the software still has a lot of rough edges. Luckily, the software can be patched.

The built-in MangoHud is pretty nice. They should incorporate that into Steam proper in the overlay or something.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The big takeaway, as that long-haired dude put it, is that the Deck is basically a miniature PC.

You can even connect a keyboard and mouse to it.

It certainly has a lot of potential.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The big takeaway, as that long-haired dude put it, is that the Deck is basically a miniature PC.

You can even connect a keyboard and mouse to it.

It certainly has a lot of potential.
The first thing I would do is to make a dual boot Linux-Windows 10 system, then it would be a great system.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
pretty sure you won't want to install windows because there won't be drivers for most of the custom hardware...
You might be right, but that would be a big missed opportunity for the Deck. Linux gaming is getting there, but still only a fraction of games are running on it.

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck/mygames
Checked out the page above, and I got the following results:
Out of my library 12 games are verified as Deck compatible, 10 games are playable, 4 are unsupported and 131 are untested.
Yeah, Linux gaming has a long way to go.

Last edited:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
pretty sure you won't want to install windows because there won't be drivers for most of the custom hardware...
You might be right, but that would be a big missed opportunity for the Deck. Linux gaming is getting there, but still only a fraction of games are running on it.

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck/mygames
Checked out the page above, and I got the following results:
Out of my library 12 games are verified as Deck compatible, 10 games are playable, 4 are unsupported and 131 are untested.
Yeah, Linux gaming has a long way to go.

More games than that are playable on Linux. Those are just the games officially verified by Steam.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
That's good to know.

If you're looking specifically for Linux playable, https://www.protondb.com/ is a better place to check.

I'm not sure what criteria Valve are using for determining which games to test first. It's odd that ATOM RPG Trudograd shows up as playable, but not ATOM RPG which has a native port that runs flawlessly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom