Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam Deck ~ PC Switch

Will you buy one?

• Yes, take my jew scheckles!

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • No, this is consolitis creeping into a PC.

Votes: 63 36.8%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 46 26.9%

• Total voters

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, Deck input is highly customizable and you can of course connect other controllers as well.

Still, I'm not sure how much enjoyment one could derive from playing something not at all developed for controller input when playing it on the Deck.
Sure, you could also connect a keyboard and a mouse, but at that point, why did you get the Deck and not a PC?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Still, I'm not sure how much enjoyment one could derive from playing something not at all developed for controller input when playing it on the Deck.
Sure, you could also connect a keyboard and a mouse, but at that point, why did you get the Deck and not a PC?

You shouldn't need a keyboard and a mouse - or really any other external device (aside

As i wrote, how well it works depends heavily on the game. For example i played the Mines of Titan (1989) some time ago on my gamepad by configuring DOSBox to map gamepad buttons and axes to keyboard events - the game was designed to be played by the keyboard and yet i had no issue at all playing it for days while ignoring the gamepad (except in a few cases where i had to enter a number, but i think Steam Deck can show an onscreen keyboard for such cases).

I don't have a Steam Deck yet but many games are playable using Steam Input even with a "plain" XBox 360/One-style gamepad without having native support for it. The additional inputs that Steam Deck has like the dual touch pads, touch screen, back buttons, gyroscope, etc should help a lot on in making more advanced input mappings.

The only sort of game i can think being hard to map would be games like Typing of the Dead that rely on actually typing stuff while paying attention to the screen (a text adventure that allows you to type commands but doesn't run in realtime should also be playable with the onscreen keyboard - though dunno how convenient that will be). Everything else should be fine.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
I'm very glad they included the trackpads. They take some getting used to and they'll never be a replacement for a mouse, but they certainly are the next best thing if you ask me. Along with Steam Input I've already comfortably played through a number of games that were never designed for controllers.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
guys i have bought this thing. i passed from extremely excited when it arrived , to moderately excited when i was trying a game called Call of Juares : gunslinger ( very hard with trackpad, but once get used to them is doable) + DMC V ( whose controls are awful to me) . Then i found a free wifi where i could download another game. i remembered i had Dragons Dogma with 0 hours on steam ( i had played it cracked) , and everything changed. THIS THING IS FANTASTIC, THE BEST INVENTION SINCE THE WHEEL. Playing DD, listening the music and watching prologue cutscene, all with max textures and at 60 fps without drops, on a HANDHELD with perfect controls and ergonomy, has no price. Gabe i love you

I received my Steam Deck 512 GB a few weeks ago, but I simply couldn't find any time to mess around with it, so I sold it for 950 Euros.

I am a little sad, because I think it is neat little computer, but oh well.

:positive:

Gamezor

Learned
I got mine, and I'm playing it even more than expected. I like that it's really only good for games, so you cannot fuck around and waste time e.g. on this website. I'm playing Dragon's Dogma, which works great even though it's supposedly not supported. Only issue I had was no sound in one cut scene and some odd clipping in another. Not a game you play for the story, so it doesn't matter.

This really is a switch killer. There's zero reason to buy any non-exclusive switch game on switch if you have one of these. Once emulation gets good enough, probably no reason to buy switch games for switch either.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm still waiting for the Deck to be available in my region :(

If your region is not the US (and you pre-ordered within 21 seconds) or like 5 countries in Europe, good luck :lol:

Gaben's amazing powers of distribution on show again. As I predicted.

The Index took about 1 year to become available in my region. Hoping for the same sort of timeline, although the coof might have delayed that.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
remember to download in desktop mode through discovery "Proton-up" . open it and download last version of Proton-GE. this will add in steam,in game compatibility tab the option to run through proton-GE instead of regular Proton. the advantage to this is that sometimes games run better with GE. Also you can run Windows, ahem , " free" non steam games this way

welly321

Scholar
just ordered my 512 steam deck. pretty pumped for it to come. I have been on a 2d metroidvania kick lately. Played through souldiers, blaspemous, bloodstained and I am working on Astalon now. I am definitely looking forward to playing more 2d indie games on it.

welly321

Scholar
Got my deck and its even more amazing than I expected. Been playing Metal Gear Solid 5 on it and it runs great! I've also been playing Crosscode, infernax, hades, and tons of other indies. Everything runs flawlessly. I set up emulation with EmuDeck and moved all my roms onto it. I run my roms through emulation station and EmuDeck sets it all up for you. Its great! I highly recommend picking up a steam deck.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

Finally can get a steam deck in my country, but yeah it looks kinda painful to play classic Crpgs on this....

Thinking of looking like a weirdo and getting a WIN Max 2 as an ultra-portable RPG machine instead.
NSofLa8GqFSBPjQYcvtsy7.jpg

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
WIN Max 2 as an ultra-portable RPG machine

Might want to wait for a new non-Max version of the GPD Win line then, or use one of the new alternatives like AYA Neo Air as AFAIK those are actually pocketable.

(though i think the guy in the video could simply tap on the screen to move his character as the screen does generate mouse events)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Finally can get a steam deck in my country, but yeah it looks kinda painful to play classic Crpgs on this....

Thinking of looking like a weirdo and getting a WIN Max 2 as an ultra-portable RPG machine instead.
NSofLa8GqFSBPjQYcvtsy7.jpg

Jesus Christ.

A Surface Pro from 6 years ago performs way better. THAT is the ultimate RPG machine. Unless the battery breaks. Plus it's the ultimate Civ 5 machine until the touch-screen breaks.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Valve: we've got so many orders for Steam Deck that we can't make them fast enough and people have to wait months in queue for buying it

Blow: perhaps if you advertised Steam Deck more, like Sony..?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Using the Deck as an emulation station has been a great idea, I must say.

That's exactly the kinds of games suitable for on-the-go stuff.
And having a pretty decent desktop PC as well if an urgent need for that arises is quite nice, too. Although the on-screen keyboard is terrible (as all on-screen kbs are).

I just wish EmulationStation had some kind of hotkey for switching between DS display modes.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Interview with Lawrence Yang (video should be timestamped).

Personally adoring my Deck, exactly what I wanted it to be and a bunch more. Just got an SD card for it today so going to try out emudeck finally for some PS2 and (3)DS titles.

edit: This answers one of my questions in a really dope way. :D

This also works for WiiU titles. :)

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom