Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam Deck ~ PC Switch

Will you buy one?

• Yes, take my jew scheckles!

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • No, this is consolitis creeping into a PC.

Votes: 63 36.8%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 46 26.9%

• Total voters

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Just tried with a random gamecube game using a fresh emudeck install, and I didn't need to configure anything either.

cruel

Cipher
Thanks for that, very interesting. It looks like my config got messed up at some point for some reason, it doesn't work even after I reset Dolphin settings in Emudeck. Strange.

Are you running Emulation Station from the gaming mode? Or added game rom to steam via Rom Manager and running game directly from steam?

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
I always run my roms directly from the Steam interface, I don't think I've even opened Emulation Station once.

cruel

Cipher
Thanks guys for checking. I've tried right now - added Path of Radiance rom directly to Steam via Steam ROM Manager. Result: doesn't work.

Wondering if this is game specific, maybe I will try other random game. Not sure if rom can make a difference here though...

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I bought the OLED model (it's my first steamdeck), it's kind of cool but it feels almost exactly like a steam controller which everyone hated and now everyone loves this thing. I actually thought the steam controller was a cool concept but this feels a bit worse with smaller track pads? Right now I have more fun tinkering with it than actually playing games. What are some of Codex favorite games to play on it?

It's great for third person RPGs. I've played Gothic, Gothic 2, Gothic 3 (no controller support, but it plays quite well with a community layout. If only the game wasn't so shit, but I enjoyed the exploration), Risen and a few others on it. Might be worth waiting a bit on Gothic 1 and 2, because I heard they're getting official controller support sometime in the future.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
You can make almost any game work on it imo. The trackpads and steam input are the real reason I still consider the Deck the superior handheld despite the fact it's already eclipsed by the competition when it comes to raw performance. Being able to comfortably play Thief on it was an eye opening experience.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
The trackpads and steam input are the real reason I still consider the Deck the superior handheld despite the fact it's already eclipsed by the competition when it comes to raw performance
Yeah, the alternatives are only really a better option for people who are mostly using them in docked mode, where being able to play things portably is a positive little quirk rather than the intended/primary purpose.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I tried playing Half Life on the Deck, and I simply can't control with the trackpads. Maybe I am a senile boomer, but I can't make it work, and its very frustrating.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I tried playing Half Life on the Deck, and I simply can't control with the trackpads. Maybe I am a senile boomer, but I can't make it work, and its very frustrating.
Can't you use the analog sticks? It had enough console ports it must be playable that way.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Can't you use the analog sticks? It had enough console ports it must be playable that way.
I'm bad at gamepad stick shooting too. On the Deck, I play more typical gamepad games, like Shank and Vampire Survivors.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Looking closely at getting one of these. I already have a gaming PC, it's fine, no problems with it. But it would be nice to be able to have the option to relax somewhere else than at the desk that I also do my fairly stressful dayjob at.

I get interrupted a lot. One of the joys of the switch is that it can suspend at a moment's notice, when, eg your 3 year old just shat on the kitchen floor. Does the steam deck work like that?

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Looking closely at getting one of these. I already have a gaming PC, it's fine, no problems with it. But it would be nice to be able to have the option to relax somewhere else than at the desk that I also do my fairly stressful dayjob at.

I get interrupted a lot. One of the joys of the switch is that it can suspend at a moment's notice, when, eg your 3 year old just shat on the kitchen floor. Does the steam deck work like that?
That's what I use mine for. Laying on the sofa playing PC games instead of having to sit at the desk.

Yes, games suspend and restart like on the switch. I'm sure some have problems with it but everyone I've put serious time into has been fine.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Works like that, but if you use it like that, it will have a combined total of ~3 hours of play time. And even if you don't play, if you leave it on stand by, it needs recharging in ~3 days waiting for you.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Works like that, but if you use it like that, it will have a combined total of ~3 hours of play time. And even if you don't play, if you leave it on stand by, it needs recharging in ~3 days waiting for you.
I'm assuming if you want it on the sofa you can find a way to have a usb to keep it plugged in. I have a cable that sits behind mine and always keep it plugged in.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Because the suspend state is not very power efficient I suppose? Probably ok for my usecase. It will be sitting in the dock a lot of the time I expect. I usually get 45 mins - 2 hours MAX as a gaming sesh (being dad sucks in this respect).

Caim

Arcane

Interesting use of the deck but I'd be worried about using commercial hardware like this for deadly weapons. Only takes 1 exploit and your turrets turn back on your own guys.

Valve be like:

what-was-your-best-experience-with-autobalance-v0-uu66nnsnyz3c1.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom