Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam Deck ~ PC Switch

Will you buy one?

• Yes, take my jew scheckles!

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • No, this is consolitis creeping into a PC.

Votes: 63 36.8%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 46 26.9%

• Total voters

The Decline

Arcane
Some Drunk Guy bought one and never even used it. What a waste.
I found him $100 Thinkpad T420 he could play classic RPGs on, he said he doesn't have money for that (while wasting much more daily on whisky), then he bought Steam Deck to play RPGs and afterwards claimed these RPGs are not Gabe approved and therefore he won't play them.

SDG's computer knowledge is on par with a turnip.

pqt

Literate
Steam deck is only for people who have too much money or dumb. In this case I can see in your picture.

Radiane

Cipher
Why are the palms of black people so white?
Answer 1: a mercy bestowed upon them so not everything they touch turn shit immediatly

Answer 2: ask someone familiar with brown yellowish mishmash i.e. your local mexicanperson

Answer 3: comes from all the cocaine snorting

Bonusanswer: or from all the chicken washing with soup

edit: man this reads p. badly as if some kind of rac. had written that

Last edited:

Radiane

Cipher
Someone remind me again why we allowed this "Radiane" thing to join.
*makes a racist joke - as a mod - about blacks in a gaming related thread and makes it look like some light headed humour...*

*insults another user who expands upon this, who thought he acted in good agreement in thread*

I hope you realize the hypocrisy in your behaviour. I will remain friendly towards you, for now, but i ask you to stop harassing me.

Modron

Arcane
Someone remind me again why we allowed this "Radiane" thing to join.
The codex has always let in all kinds of undesirables, one time they let in this guy called Crispy I can't seem to find a member by that name when I search for it he must have been nuked.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Oh it was merged. Was confused for a bit.
Helpful post lol.

Yeah... many like that.
Novelty effect.
I'll definitely say you should think if you'll actually use it before buying it.
I don't disagree that you should think things through before dropping a bunch of money--there's testimony of that enough in this thread already--but I wanted to add that it has a surprising capacity to actively change people's habits around games, at least those that I've known.

Incidentally, found out that it runs Sleeping Dogs perfectly despite Steam listing it as unsupported, i.e. non-functional. So that's nice! At least enough to make me finally go back to finish it after my save got lost. (Hong Kong is a fun setting.)

The Decline

Arcane
Incidentally, found out that it runs Sleeping Dogs perfectly despite Steam listing it as unsupported, i.e. non-functional. So that's nice! At least enough to make me finally go back to finish it after my save got lost. (Hong Kong is a fun setting.)

The vast majority of "unsupported" games will work perfectly with the right version of Proton or Proton GE. You can install a UI addon through Decky Loader that connects to the ProtonDB site and adds a clickable badge to every game in your library showing you how playable each game is.

It's insane how much extra functionality the community has added to the Steam Deck.

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
Also different(faster) Wi-Fi/BT and it appears that while the APU is the same it uses slightly newer technology(7nm vs 6nm) probably contributing to lower power consumption. Cosmetic changes but they keep being on the smart side - it's still 1280x800 so we're not going above the hardware's ability to render newer games(meanwhile chink competition stuffs 4k displays into theirs, I suspect for the sole purpose of reducing the battery life) and the general improvement of battery life are obviously more important for a portable device than just performance.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
it's still 1280x800 so we're not going above the hardware's ability to render newer games(meanwhile chink competition stuffs 4k displays into theirs, I suspect for the sole purpose of reducing the battery life) and the general improvement of battery life are obviously more important for a portable device than just performance.
Kinda comes down to what games/etc. one would use it for, as to what people should prioritise. Biggest thing the Deck has going for it is its integration into Steam itself and the massive community that comes with that; i.e. in support of community layouts for games without, or with poor, controller support. Even aside from those, most of the competition seems lacking when it comes to the Deck's plethora of input options.

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
Kinda comes down to what games/etc. one would use it for, as to what people should prioritise. Biggest thing the Deck has going for it is its integration into Steam itself and the massive community that comes with that; i.e. in support of community layouts for games without, or with poor, controller support. Even aside from those, most of the competition seems lacking when it comes to the Deck's plethora of input options.
Yes, the point is that resolution is a clear tradeoff and it's just not worth it for this kind of device. Whoever decided to drop 4k display into something like Onexplayer 2 Pro was simply thinking that 4k on the box will sell it, they just don't care about actual way this thing is being used. The tradeoff is like this - 4k requires more computing power to render as well as the display draws slightly more power in general, in exchange you get more pixel on a screen that's already rather small(so the effect is just less visible), IF whatever you want to run runs in 4k. You can see this from the fact that Valve isn't the first company that decided to not get too brave about resolutions in handhelds, as Switch is 1280x720, again for the same reason - computing power wasn't there for much more(in fact a lot of games on it run at lower resolutions) and increased power consumption just wasn't worth it. One of the reasons why I don't see the clones as they are now becoming big is simply that they seem to never think about this kind of reality, for them it's just BIGGER NUMBER.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
For sure. Even those that have hardware to support higher resolutions (obv. not 4k, that's just silly) aren't anywhere near as affordable, and if you're making a ""console"" that isn't affordable, what are you even really doing? Haven't looked super deep into it, but all the "competitors" in a similar price range that I did see seemed to essentially be a basic android device meant for streaming games from cloud services like Game Pass and GeForce Now. It's kinda wild how few, if any, companies other than Valve are placed to pull something like this off. I don't even know when the last time was that a company managed to actually expand the console market, rather than simply folding and getting out.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah the thing is that you buy a Steam Deck you probably already have a gaming capable PC. If so, why not use Moonlight or Remote Play to game whatever ?

This is actually how I use my Steam Deck. Also allows me to play on TV without cables everywhere.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I don't even know when the last time was that a company managed to actually expand the console market, rather than simply folding and getting out.
Mobile phones did that. Before them, handheld consoles did that. I know there were people playing games on their phones that didn't play games at all before.
Since then? I don't think any console drew in new players. Maybe VR headsets drew some? I doubt motion controllers did.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah the thing is that you buy a Steam Deck you probably already have a gaming capable PC. If so, why not use Moonlight or Remote Play to game whatever ?

This is actually how I use my Steam Deck. Also allows me to play on TV without cables everywhere.

I use a Raspberry Pi for this.

Hobknobling

Learned
I don't even know when the last time was that a company managed to actually expand the console market, rather than simply folding and getting out.
Mobile phones did that. Before them, handheld consoles did that. I know there were people playing games on their phones that didn't play games at all before.
Since then? I don't think any console drew in new players. Maybe VR headsets drew some? I doubt motion controllers did.
Nintendo Wii did, but it didn't last.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom