Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam Deck ~ PC Switch

Will you buy one?

• Yes, take my jew scheckles!

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • No, this is consolitis creeping into a PC.

Votes: 63 36.8%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 46 26.9%

• Total voters

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Mobile phones did that. Before them, handheld consoles did that. I know there were people playing games on their phones that didn't play games at all before.
Since then? I don't think any console drew in new players. Maybe VR headsets drew some? I doubt motion controllers did.
I'm not sure how much mobile games were historically direct competition the way Sega, Nintendo and Sony were, is what I mean. Whereas Valve is certainly positioning itself to compete with Nintendo, and Apple is just now trying to present iPhones as capable of competing on that level, for the longest time phone games were kinda separate world.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Mobile phones did that. Before them, handheld consoles did that. I know there were people playing games on their phones that didn't play games at all before.
Since then? I don't think any console drew in new players. Maybe VR headsets drew some? I doubt motion controllers did.
I'm not sure how much mobile games were historically direct competition the way Sega, Nintendo and Sony were, is what I mean. Whereas Valve is certainly positioning itself to compete with Nintendo, and Apple is just now trying to present iPhones as capable of competing on that level, for the longest time phone games were kinda separate world.
Well, you wrote "expand the market". The market is expanded by bringing new customers in, not by taking customers away from the competition.
Mobile gaming brought into the gaming ecology new payers, so their new wallets could be tapped. I don't think the Steam Deck is bringing in new wallets, its probably just further tapping into PC wallets, specifically the Steam+Nintendo crowd. That used to be the patrician choice according to 4chan's /v/, giving you access to most good games. Well, now its just Steam, you can pirate Nintendo's stuff on your Deck. The market doesn't expand, Valve just siphons some of Nintendo's share.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I could've phrased it better, but it's hard to pin down things into exactly one element; by expand the market I meant bring people into 'PC gaming' who wouldn't ever be bothered with dealing with its downsides, and get 'PC gamers' to defy the common convention and buy a 'console' (because they already have a library for it).

With consoles it's weird, a lot of people buy multiples; at least I don't get the impression sincere console warriors are all that big a thing past teen years. And yeah, mobile games certain do expand the market in a very real sense, but the development of mobile games is only really starting to align with PC and console games (noteworthy that the RTW remaster was preceded by a -- in some ways improved -- port of the original to phones and tablets), whereas for the longest time mobile games shared almost nothing with PC and console games.

Azdul

Magister
WIN Max 2 as an ultra-portable RPG machine

Might want to wait for a new non-Max version of the GPD Win line then, or use one of the new alternatives like AYA Neo Air as AFAIK those are actually pocketable.

(though i think the guy in the video could simply tap on the screen to move his character as the screen does generate mouse events)
I'm looking for a device that would replace my aging hacked PS Vita and hacked PSP Go.

AYA Neo Air looks interesting - however it's expensive for something that does not have service / official distribution in my country. Steam Deck is too big. Switch is too Nintendo.

Is there something of Vita / PSP size - that would have enough processing power to run 20+ years old 2D titles - with sane operating system like Linux, Windows or Android ?

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Azdul I don't have anything off the shelf to recommend. I just Googled "handheld Linux gaming console" and a bunch of results came up. I don't know anything about them. I have however played around with Raspberry Pi. A new Raspberry Pi should have more than enough processing power to run an emulator. If you had something really specific in mind, you could always build it yourself. That definitely wouldn't be as convenient. It might be more fun though. I Googled "Raspberry Pi handheld gaming build" and it looks like I'm not the first one to think of it. Do any of those look like what you would want?

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Azdul I don't have anything off the shelf to recommend. I just Googled "handheld Linux gaming console" and a bunch of results came up. I don't know anything about them. I have however played around with Raspberry Pi. A new Raspberry Pi should have more than enough processing power to run an emulator. If you had something really specific in mind, you could always build it yourself. That definitely wouldn't be as convenient. It might be more fun though. I Googled "Raspberry Pi handheld gaming build" and it looks like I'm not the first one to think of it. Do any of those look like what you would want?
Anbernic devices are indeed Linux gaming consoles

Azdul

Magister
Do you recommend any particular model ?

I'm tempted by high screen resolution of 640x480 of more expensive / newer ones - to try these newfangled games from late 90's.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Do you recommend any particular model ?

I'm tempted by high screen resolution of 640x480 of more expensive / newer ones - to try these newfangled games from late 90's.
I personally own RG35XX, modded with a custom OS called GarlicOS (a fork of OnionOS), it's Gameboy-shaped and emulates anything from arcade stuff til PS1. Please note that it does not have an analog stick, so anything from N64 and newer is out of the question (though there is a modded version of Mario 64, in case you're like to check it out).

It's one of better Anbernic consoles, probably also because of the precise limitations it's been designed under - it's not a barely functional fake Switch, instead it's a wonderfully competent retro console, boasting what wasn't possible back in the day (a rechargeable battery pack, memory card support to fit in pretty much all games in existence this console can run, with custom OS - the possibility of undervolting/overvolting and custom screen options).

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Considering gifting myself something like this for christmas. I talked myself out of it last year, but I might not have the discipline for it this year.
Should I try to get the new version, or the old one? Is the 20-30% higher cost actually worthwhile, you think? The screen is slightly bigger. Claims the battery lasts longer.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Considering gifting myself something like this for christmas. I talked myself out of it last year, but I might not have the discipline for it this year.
Should I try to get the new version, or the old one? Is the 20-30% higher cost actually worthwhile, you think? The screen is slightly bigger. Claims the battery lasts longer.
It's quite an extensive refresh. Better screen, better battery life, better thermals, better speakers, better wireless modules, better haptics and trackpads, better touchscreen, etc. Basically everything except the performance was improved.
Unless you really want the absolute cheapest version there is and don't care about the across the board improvents, then yes I'd say the new OLED version is worth it.

Personally I plan on getting the mid tier model eventually because I don't mind the glossy screen and most OLED displays are glossy anyway. If you're bothered by reflections on glossy screens (take a look at your phone for example) you might want to consider the high end model or an anti glare screen protector. When it comes to the other features the high end models offers, I don't find 1TB storage space necessary out of experience. Everything else about the high end model is just pointless window dressing to me.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
If you're bothered by reflections on glossy screens (take a look at your phone for example)
Theoretically, I might be playing it outside. Realistically, I'll be playing it in my bed or in the backseat of a car/bus/plane. So I am not sold on the matted screen either, especially since I've seen purists online say it mutes the colors.
Another thing I read is that the new built uses parts that practically can be found on the market. The initial offering was during the chip shortage crisis, the COVID-19 factory lockdown, the Suez canal shenanigan, so the parts selected for it aren't necessarily the best fit today. This might be relevant if I need it repaired.

I'll probably go for the cheaper OLED.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
There's a lot of debate about the screens going on. Some claim the purists are just being nitpicky and the difference between the screens is virtually unnoticeable in low light conditions. Others are claiming the issue is easily fixable with a glossy or anti glare screen protector depending on the version you got. Then others are in turn claiming a screen protector is just a bandaid fix and it's best to get the screen you want out of the gate...

All I know is I don't find myself bothered by glossy screens and they're the screens used on the majority of OLED panels, which must be for a reason, and none of the extras the high end model offers are particularly interesting to me. So my mind is made up.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I bought the OLED model (it's my first steamdeck), it's kind of cool but it feels almost exactly like a steam controller which everyone hated and now everyone loves this thing. I actually thought the steam controller was a cool concept but this feels a bit worse with smaller track pads? Right now I have more fun tinkering with it than actually playing games. What are some of Codex favorite games to play on it?

cruel

Cipher
What are some of Codex favorite games to play on it?

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC / SC / 3rd
Omori
Triangle Strategy

BTW, has anyone tried emulating Gamecube on Dolphin through EmuDeck? Trying to play Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, but it seems controls are not working - and here I thought Emudeck is the best thing ever and configures everything properly on Deck. I can try going through each and every control option, but maybe someone had this issue already.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
What are some of Codex favorite games to play on it?
It depends what you mean by that. I mean you can quite easily play 90s RPGs on it, most of them have a decent community profile and it's not all that taxing to make or tune one to your own particular idiosyncracies.

If you just mean good games that work great 'out of the box', then it really depends on what you like. Metroidvanias like Ori or Hollow Knight are kinda a perfect match, but then so are most moderately taxing games with good controller support (so Hades, anything by Klei, a ton of JRPGs, and a lot of eccentric indies like the Outer Wilds).

Traditional roguelikes working well on a handheld console-like device has been one of the cooler novelties to me, but again especially those with proper controller support to begin with, e.g. things like Jupiter Hell, Tangledeep, or Caves of Qud.

But again it all really depends on what you like to play. There's few limitations outside highly demanding games and those that require Windows-only anti-cheat to function. Not really my thing, but I've seen a lot of people demonstrate that even FPS games can play great, due to the extra sensitivity a gyroscope grants you. (Definitely something one needs to get accustomed to first, though.)

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Now that I got my hands on an OLED Deck I have to say, people were overselling it as a display technology in my opinion. Everyone keeps jerking off OLED for how vibrant its colors are and how deep pure blacks are, but something that seems to be glossed over is how terrible OLED appears to be at handling greys... Maybe the Samsung panels are just particularly bad at it, but good lord, darker games all look like they have a permanent film grain filter slapped over them. I don't think my display is faulty either, tons of people are reporting the same observation. People with the LE model (BOE panel) are in turn reporting black smearing, although to a lesser degree.

Apparently it's called the mura effect and it's an inherent flaw of OLED. Although the intensity of the effect supposedly depends on the panel. I'm not sure Valve cheaped out again, or the niche that is small OLED panels simply has nothing better to offer as of now. In the end, the pros still outweigh the cons, but a straight upgrade it is not.

tritosine2k

Erudite
OLED has straight up "poor" blacks vs proper LC technology (projection LCOS) :
"The principal causes of the poor picture quality on active matrix organic light-emitting diode (AMOLED) displays"
"Executive Vice President of the Mobile Business Unit, LG Display, Paju, Korea."

(Not counting LCOS as LCD is a standard facet of NPC mythology, direct view can be quite close if done right, not to mention you dont need 180° emission for a handheld)

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Now that I got my hands on an OLED Deck I have to say, people were overselling it as a display technology in my opinion. Everyone keeps jerking off OLED for how vibrant its colors are and how deep pure blacks are, but something that seems to be glossed over is how terrible OLED appears to be at handling greys... Maybe the Samsung panels are just particularly bad at it, but good lord, darker games all look like they have a permanent film grain filter slapped over them. I don't think my display is faulty either, tons of people are reporting the same observation. People with the LE model (BOE panel) are in turn reporting black smearing, although to a lesser degree.

Apparently it's called the mura effect and it's an inherent flaw of OLED. Although the intensity of the effect supposedly depends on the panel. I'm not sure Valve cheaped out again, or the niche that is small OLED panels simply has nothing better to offer as of now. In the end, the pros still outweigh the cons, but a straight upgrade it is not.
It's also worthwhile to point out that very few games actually produce pure blacks on the screen. Games are mostly washed out greys which actually matches up well with back-lit panels.

If OLED for gaming becomes popular, you'd likely see games offer more pure-black scenarios, but right now almost every single game in existence uses greys instead.

tritosine2k

Erudite
You could also argue you get better depth from a projection screen suitably far than a "hdr" toy gamepad at arms length with "pure-black"-s (lol) and not cross checking on 16nit is fail.

Also small diagonal can't even drive eye adaptation well so you'll be mostly stuck with eye's static contrast of 1:100 which is why direct view LCD gets away so well, despite vocal opposition.

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
BTW, has anyone tried emulating Gamecube on Dolphin through EmuDeck? Trying to play Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, but it seems controls are not working - and here I thought Emudeck is the best thing ever and configures everything properly on Deck. I can try going through each and every control option, but maybe someone had this issue already.

Figured it out, posting if anyone intends to emulating Gamecube / Wii games on Deck:
  1. Open Dolphin in Desktop mode -> Controller -> set to SDL/Xbox -> map each and every button manually (so it says Button 0, Button 1 and not North / South) -> exit
  2. Continue in Desktop mode -> Dolphin -> run your game
  3. After the game starts, hold Start for 5s to switch to Controller Mode
  4. Works.

welly321

Scholar

Figured it out, posting if anyone intends to emulating Gamecube / Wii games on Deck:
  1. Open Dolphin in Desktop mode -> Controller -> set to SDL/Xbox -> map each and every button manually (so it says Button 0, Button 1 and not North / South) -> exit
  2. Continue in Desktop mode -> Dolphin -> run your game
  3. After the game starts, hold Start for 5s to switch to Controller Mode
  4. Works.
I definitely did not need to do that. Mine worked with emudeck out of the box.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom