Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam Deck ~ PC Switch

Will you buy one?

• Yes, take my jew scheckles!

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • No, this is consolitis creeping into a PC.

Votes: 63 36.8%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 46 26.9%

• Total voters

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Don't know where to put this so I'll post here.
Linux being able to run games well on the Deck is forcing Microsoft to get off their ass and do some work, specifically by working on handheld mode. Competition is always good, although their Xbox app will still be cancer, I'm sure.

It doesn't sound like this is going to be a thing:

Aren't people just installing Windows on that thing anyway?

The tards in the replies are, but I think most are sticking with Steam OS.
Windows SUCKS on the deck. 99% of people who own one (myself included) are sticking to SteamOS

It doesn't sound like this is going to be a thing:

Ah yes, yet another millenial soydev project by someone too stupid to spend 5 minutes learning how to pull some packages and get Lutris working. I wouldn't be surprised if it's written in nodejs or something.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Where's muh Amazin Amazon Deck?

What about my Stadia deck

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Aren't people just installing Windows on that thing anyway?
Seems to be a pretty niche decision, usually down to wanting to play something with anti-cheat software, or access gamepass etc.

I booted up Redaxium once. That's the extent of my usage.
Didn't you play Playstation and Switch games? Why wouldn't you use it after forking up hundreds of dollars already? T_T

As far as indie titles go, it's basically a Switch but everything is cheaper, you have access to mods, and things perform better.

(Arguably also a better Switch than the Switch at times, but that's a different story.)

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
lol
Switch has better battery life and runs quieter and faster running its native games, mostly because the Yuzu staff is the same bunch of incompetents who worked on Citra before
Steam Dick is the perfect Sony killer though this thing fucks Playstation raw

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver
I've been playing the shit out of Pillars of Eternity, Hexen II, Prey, and Elden Ring on mine. Putting in a dozen hours or more a week at my guard shack. Tried playing Cybercuck, even gave myself a tiny penis for full immershun, but the game runs like a whale and the whale swam on shore and somebody sawed it's legs off and it died and michael moore sat on it. I have Troy Total War installed, I'll play that soon. I love the Heroic Age, Socrates was a shithead.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I've been playing the shit out of Pillars of Eternity, Hexen II, Prey, and Elden Ring on mine. Putting in a dozen hours or more a week at my guard shack. Tried playing Cybercuck, even gave myself a tiny penis for full immershun, but the game runs like a whale and the whale swam on shore and somebody sawed it's legs off and it died and michael moore sat on it. I have Troy Total War installed, I'll play that soon. I love the Heroic Age, Socrates was a shithead.
do cryobyte's latest optimization routine it helps a lot with big bitch games
there are no limits to controller scheme once i bought the fuckin dock station lol this shit runs any strategy whatever i put on it with mouse and keyboard (except for space rangers 2 bc some dumbass coded it so that it literally doesnt run on linux)

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver
I don't know, how recent was that update? I can tell you that Elden Ring eats the ass out of the battery. I get a couple hours tops before the game crashes. Settings are at mid everything.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I don't know, how recent was that update? I can tell you that Elden Ring eats the ass out of the battery. I get a couple hours tops before the game crashes. Settings are at mid everything.
he's added some pretty hefty shit last month

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
he's added some pretty hefty shit last month
54YP09_AS01

Battery "pack"

I have half-rate shading and a 30fps cap, Elden Ring lasts for 4 hours for me. Lowest settings.

It's beneficial anyway, tbh. Playing Elden Ring at an even 30fps is a much better experience than playing it at an unreliable 35-55 FPS.

People who don't own a deck look at this and go "haha wow that's terrible" because it's not great on paper and sounds like a sub-par experience, but there's something special about being able to play Elden Ring on the toilet. I still prefer to play it on my PC, but the steam cloud sync really helps to justify it - you can play a somewhat-decent version of ER while out, then come home and continue on your nice PC.

I can also play the entire Dark Souls trilogy on the go. Still something that can't be done on the Switch.

Last edited:
Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I barely touched this thing for the first month and a half until I got put on my ass for a couple of weeks when I got sick, but since then it's been a game changer.

My gaming is always confined to ~4 months per year (max 2 consecutive) with the others barely having any game time at all. Was most noticeable with that steam rewind thing for 2022 where May/June and October/November included 99% of my playtime for the entire year. I can parse it out a lot more now and can't mind fuck myself into going full NEET during downtimes to catch up on missed gaming time.

Whether I can't be bothered to use a PC after long periods of work/uni grind or don't have access to my PC I can still game a bit and slowly chip away at my ridiculous library.

One day I might have the patience to try a prestigious:obviously: RPG on it, but even without I can't say I regret the purchase.

I've had one consistent problem that's pissing me off and that's having wifi access but losing connection to the steam servers randomly. Doesn't really affect me other than tracking playtime but still annoying nonetheless. Tried every fix I could find, none worked, until I switched from stable mode to beta tester (or whatever it's called) which seems to have fixed it. Funnily enough, one of the fixes listed was to switch from beta back to stable but I guess my model is a unique lil faggot.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I've had one consistent problem that's pissing me off and that's having wifi access but losing connection to the steam servers randomly. Doesn't really affect me other than tracking playtime but still annoying nonetheless. Tried every fix I could find, none worked, until I switched from stable mode to beta tester (or whatever it's called) which seems to have fixed it. Funnily enough, one of the fixes listed was to switch from beta back to stable but I guess my model is a unique lil faggot.
what helped me personally with the same issue was Settings/Developer/Miscellaneous/Enable Wifi Power Management turned off
instant fix

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dude, stop with your shitty random cringe threads. You're not planning on getting one.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not sure if joke thread or not, but anyway...

I got one a while ago and can only recommend. Especially on the move, it's just worlds better than eg a Switch.
You plug a docking station into it and it becomes a fully grown gaming rig with as many controllers as you can fit into that (+ bluetooth of course).
Turned mine into an emulation platform via https://www.emudeck.com/ and sometimes I take it with me when visiting friends - emulation station on the go, nice!

I know some people even use it instead of their main rig to slouch on the sofa for gaming. I loathe couch gaming, so I don't use it for that.
Oh, you can also use your main rig to do the rendering and just display & control it on your Deck for gaming. Again, not something I use but it's there for those who want it.

Plus you can switch to desktop mode and it becomes a normal PC - used it during holiday instead of carrying an additional laptop with me (+ a small keyboard because the on-screen keyboard is, well, as bad as all other on-screen keyboards).
You don't even have to tear your hair and gouge your eyes out while trying to use it because it's not Windows, but a nicely configured and fast Linux.
The only limitation is that it is in lockdown mode and you can (by default anyway, always ways around that) only install software Valve has added to a special list - but there's plenty in that list, I didn't need to find any workarounds.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some Drunk Guy bought one and never even used it. What a waste.
Yeah... many like that.
Novelty effect.
I'll definitely say you should think if you'll actually use it before buying it.

If you already have a main rig and play on that anyway and you don't travel much and have little interest on slouching on a couch while gaming and you have no interest/need for a dedicated emulation station (that is also mobile)... you don't really have a use for it, or only very sporadically.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some Drunk Guy bought one and never even used it. What a waste.
I found him $100 Thinkpad T420 he could play classic RPGs on, he said he doesn't have money for that (while wasting much more daily on whisky), then he bought Steam Deck to play RPGs and afterwards claimed these RPGs are not Gabe approved and therefore he won't play them.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
When I was a kid the joke was that when God was spray painting them, they already had their hands up against a wall...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom