Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Stellar Tactics, a sandbox sci-fi RPG - now available on Early Access

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Roqua, Feb 16, 2016.

1. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll
    Sure hope this is finished sometime soon

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. gurugeorge Magister

gurugeorge
    This is a bit of alright isn't it? Seems like it's going to be hearty Codexian fare so far, though I'm still in the introduction, but you know how it is, you can tell pretty quickly how these things are going to go.

Obviously a labour of love. A wee bit clunky here and there, and a tad finicky wrt clicking sometimes; but certainly playable and enjoyable.

^ Top  
  3. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll
    Biggest complaints I can find is there isn't enough to do yet. I think that's a good sign for an EA game - "This is good, but there isn't enough of it right now"

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Aemar Magister

Aemar
    My main complaint is that the combat is very easy (ground), unless the enemies are way above your current level. Admittedly, I haven't played the game in quite a while, some things may have changed in that regard after the latest couple of updates.

• Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. gurugeorge Magister

gurugeorge
    The new weapon specials are quite fun, though not terribly effective yet at the level I'm at (for me they're at a, "useful if you have a few enemies left on a sliver of health who happen to be clustered together" level of effectiveness). Could also do with a bit more oomph in the visuals and audio, but that's a counsel of perfection at this stage, I know.

I like the extra pressure they bring from enemies (the more bossy of whom also have such skills) though, it means I do have to factor health packs into the rhythm of play. Whereas previously, so long as I worked the defensive stance into play regularly, combats would mostly be over by the time my chars were getting dangerously low on health, now I can occasionally have big chunks taken out of several guys at once, so I have to be even more aware of positioning and of keeping the wee fellows topped up health-wise.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. normie Magister Patron Zionist Agent

normie
    Insert Title Here

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. gurugeorge Magister

gurugeorge
    The "sluggish anims and scrolling" problem seems to have been solved with the last patch. Whereas previously you had to tick the "experimental frame rate uncapper" button to stop the game from feeling like you were wading through glue, now the VSYNC ON option makes it all lovely and smooth without the slight riskiness of the uncapping.

I hope he does more story, as although the Dauntless prologue and aftermath don't seem to be written by a "pro" writer, and it shows in terms of a slight stiffness to the dialogue, nevertheless it has some nice nerdy detail and all the charm of a single dev's devotion. Just like the old days! :)

It's a very lovable thing.

One criticism I'd make that should be relatively easy to sort out, is that the skill descriptions should mention the attribute requirements. As it stands, only the SMG skill description tells you what attributes are relevant, for the rest you have to make a rough guess from the attribute descriptions. For example, I read that Pugilism is mostly AGI some STR, but without that info, just going by the attribute descriptions the new player could easily make it mostly STR with some AGI, since there's nothing in the Pugilism description that gives the right proportion.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/465490/view/2945884024691196334

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Takamori Learned

Takamori
    Think I'm gonna buy this game, the current EA offer hours of gameplay or its just a showcase for the game?

^ Top  
  10. Aemar Magister

Aemar
    You can easily invest 20-25 hours into the current version despite the lack of a complete storyline and active factions. Grinding mostly.

^ Top  
  11. Takamori Learned

Takamori
    So tested the game yesterday first impression:
    This game has charm, but the tutorial mission is a clusterfuck. The scientist have bipolar disorder or the phage contaminated both who knows.
    The level up system is weird, so you have the classic level up for main stats but at the same time you have to train your skills, I would rather haver level up with stats+ skill points. Probably can be easily modded implemented.
    Itemization I really enjoyed, you can have fun with mods and crafting
    Space travel, combat and interaction is pretty deep, scanning ship tactics and so on
    The combat UI needs some work kinda clunky to change your fire mode, also it seems burst fire is not working in the current version

Autism aka stuff that I personally didn't like but don't affect the game overall
    Body disappearing, god damn I get autistic with despawning bodies, tried to tinker with the config files no way to mess with this option or the decal timer.
    The portrait from NPCs and your character, while your character have this art portrait the npcs that join you are the actual 3d models?
    Not being able to customize your character appearence
    The shopkeeper npcs are just generic human npcs without any presentation,lore or indication they sell weapons, armor and equipment of such

Overall this game have a lot to improve but its stuff that can be fixed it aint attached to the core idea of the game, gonna revisit in 6 months.

^ Top  
  12. Crispy Don't get old. Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    As far as the refresh rate and smoothness of scrolling is concerned, for my system, what I found to work best is to uncap the framerate in the game's own options, but to use a framerate limiter externally, such as RivaTuner. Playing in G-Sync mode at 144Hz and capped at 90fps offers the smoothest, "jerk"-free gameplay I could manage.

Allowing the game to run at the full 144Hz/fps introduces its own scrolling hitches, although oddly the screen rotation remains liquid smooth.

• Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. gurugeorge Magister

gurugeorge
    The uncap framerate option is gone, there's now a slider where you can have VSYNC OFF'/ON and then various stages of matching framerate (1/2, 1/4, all the way up to "uncapped", which would be the equivalent of the old tick box on the bottom left).

I had the slow anims/scrolling problem and I had to use the uncap box tick before, now with VSYNC ON the game is slick and animation/scrolling runs at normal speed, without the extra risk of crashing that uncapping brings in.

I'm enjoying the game a lot atm. One thing that really changed my sense of the game was realizing that if you scan the planets, at least one or two planets invariably have a base on them, usually friendly (or hostile in hostile systems). This changed by sense of the "universe" from, "Huh, boring, some dull planets and a few space-stations" to, "hmm, wonder what I'll find in this solar system?" Curiously, I've found so far that the hostile planet bases have a more straightforward layout than the mazes that you get from faction reps, which is nice for a change.

(There are also usually several mining nodes on planets that you can set drones onto. If you set the drones on automatic they'll give you passive income by selling what they dig up at the local stations until they deplete the nodes. But you can also set them on manual too, in which case they sit there with the stuff they've mined and you can pick up stuff from them yourself, which is handy for gathering the mats for crafting.)

I've also gotten into the space combat now, whereas before I was a bit iffy about it. It feels more arcadey, but it's actually very pleasant and engaging to play - and very lucrative. Going to try the boarding thing next.

I do feel that the difference in tone between the gritty realism of the art design in the ground combat and the arcadey feel of the solar systems (which basically feel abouit the size of large school halls with a few giant beachballs in them) is a bit jarring. One wishes the developer could have given more of a sense of the vastness of space (as in EVE) by using looming and acceleration/deceleration (e.g. like in EVE where as you approach a station, you don't see it for ages then it suddenly looms, with the planet in the background remaining massive and still - thus giving a sense of relative scale of the tiny space station and the massive planet). But I guess with the resources at his disposal he's doing the best compromise. The giant school hall is certainly easy to navigate manually, which I suppose is the point. :)

Another thing to note is that the grid numbering on the space map goes from left to right and bottom to top. So it's easy to visit and keep track of the 8 boxes around your starter box (pencil and paper! :) ) and the box the distant star you're sent to to get the contraband unlocked, and find all the solar systems with stations marked "trading port," set up beacons in those system (which you can do either by approaching FTL bouys in the solar system or being close to a star in FTL space - in either case, via a purple icon that appears bottom left). That gives you a nice healthy selection of trading planets to get your trade net started. I found that there's usually 1 system with a trading port per box, sometimes 2 or 3, sometimes none, so a set of 20 beacons should set you up. Judging by the amount of trading differentials I've noted so far, I think you'd have to do the same beacon setting-up for the 16 boxes around your initial 8 as well, to get a really healthy trade net, so probably about 50 or 60 systems in all.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    ^ Top  
  14. normie Magister Patron Zionist Agent

normie
    Insert Title Here

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    That's quite a jump in quality of character portraits.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Crispy Don't get old. Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    I had no idea this game had almost a Newtonian-correct, accurate-to-scale, gigantic space travel thing going for it. Flying past stars is beautiful, and especially fun knowing you're headed to some settlement for your next quest that's on a planet that's not even on-screen yet. I haven't even gotten into any ship-to-ship combat so far. And you can spend millions on new ships? Holy crap.

Absolute blast to play. This game has massive potential imo.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Aemar Magister

Aemar
    The new update heads-up takes the whole thing to a new level. One of the best one-man projects ever. As I said before, this dude has already delivered more content than Chris Roberts and his hundreds of employees.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  18. gurugeorge Magister

gurugeorge
    OMG OMG OMG :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Crispy Don't get old. Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Personally I'd just like to see the story content greatly expanded, giving us hundreds of hours of things to do in addition to the rogue-like activity that's there for the grinding, but skip any of the high-tech graphical stuff because imo it's just going to look out-of-place.

There's something very charming about the way the game looks now, even with its very basic UI, that just seems well-balanced.

Give us more skills, more items, more ship upgrades, more environments. Those are clearly this game's strengths.

^ Top  
  20. Takamori Learned

Takamori
    Oh fuck thats huge leap in the character portrait, I was kinda expecting some commisioned portrait.

The graphics in the current I have no issue too, just missing some animations and tweaks like body not disappearing and decals remaining, but textures, shaders and art presentation overall was satisfied with.
    The rest is pretty fun to engage with, just still undecided how I feel about the skill up system. I have an opinion where it would benefit from level up and skill points per level to make a more harmonious progression and help create a character identity for you and your crew, but at the same time understand that the game has some "grind" to engage with where you skill up whatever and offer freedom to build up your character in that way but the downside of end game where everyone can be everything kindas annoy me, but I could be wrong I don't have many hours in the game.

^ Top  
  21. gurugeorge Magister

gurugeorge
    I think as usual with RPGs, on Normal difficulty you can mix and match as you like, but on Hard or Very Hard you definitely have to specialize and stick with two weapon types (closer and further range) to get real oomph out of them, and mixing melee and ranged is a definite no-no because of the attributes (as to be expected). You can also pump up a third skill on the side, as sort of ancillary (explosives is always handy, and grenades, like the stun+gas combo are quite powerful). The "5 skills per level up" works to prevent you from spreading yourself too thinly - you want those 5 skill-ups per level up to be meaningful, and not "wasted" on a 1 point skill-up in something you're not likely to use much.

One gripe I've got is that you can carry as many medpacks as you like. On Hard and up you don't have the automatic regeneration you have on normal, so you do have to use medpacks, and that's good, but being able to carry as many as you want sort of trivializes that. I wouldn't want to have the restriction really tight (because you're in space and you might not always be in a position to buy them at your convenience - for example if you're clearing out a large base in a system without trade ports - and not all stores carry the large, which is good), but something like 30/20/10 (light/med/large) would make their use a bit more meaningful.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    ^ Top  
  22. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    if you haven't bought this yet to support this one-man autistic endeavor then you should delete your account

• Agree x 7
    • Brofist x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/465490/discussions/0/3109141414226718597/

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  24. Drowed Arcane

Drowed
    I totally forgot that this game existed. It's been in EA since, what... 2016? It's already 5 years, right? Are you trying to break the longest EA record or something? :lol:

Having said that, this version of the game really seems extremely superior to the game I remember playing years ago, it seems that some real progress happened in that period. The characters seem infinitely better, almost unbelievably so. That's nice. As I already own the game, I look forward to the full version in 2025.

• Brofist x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • It's a matter of time x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Nijar Literate

Nijar
    Is this game still going on to be alive, trying, being?

• Yes Yes x 5
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.