Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stellar Tactics, a sandbox sci-fi RPG - now available on Early Access

Nijar

Novice
go away skull

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wow, the game is definitely stronger than the sum of its parts.
I came back after 1 year or so, and the combat is much more enjoyable now. Space combat is also better, now that you have to choose between killing the enemy ship and disabling it for boarding (which requires gimping your ships, and taking more punishment as you need to disable the strongest weapons).
Faction missions used to take forever, but I'll have to test the new ones. Also, kudos for having compatible saves with all the improvements made and time passed.

if you haven't bought this yet to support this one-man autistic endeavor then you should delete your account
Indeed, the scope is super impressive, and the developer has been pushing updates relentlessly for years.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice:

A large patch should be coming in the next few days. It will improve space visuals (Skyboxes), materials for various planets, and includes a variety of other fixes.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Universe visual overhaul
Today's patch updates space backgrounds and effects throughout the Universe. I have also removed the 5 point weapon skill cap. I'd like to gather feedback from players on the removal of the cap. In my opinion, the skill cap has caused a lot of confusion and some just don't like it at all. For now, the cap is removed. It will come back as a hardcore option at some point for those who enjoy micro-managing progression.

Meanwhile, a lot of work is being done for chapter one of the main story. There are also a number of other assets being developed that will provide points of interest in the universe. I'll explain more as I make progress on this work.

ccdef60ff8424f4d54da72ba14aaf4ddb0e7b95d.png

ADDED: The universal facelift. All new backgrounds and various other improvements for space. Make sure to enable the high-resolution skyboxes in the options menu if you have 2gb VRAM or higher. Enjoy!

UPDATED: The 5 point skill cap for weapon skills has been removed. Removing the skill cap will likely require some tuning over time so expect the amount of experience gain to go up/down as required as I gather more feedback.
--The skill cap will come back as an advanced gameplay feature for those of us who like it. By that I mean, it will be an option - off by default.
--The level cap remains at level 60 until the story content is ready.
--Skill gain remains unchanged. Even at the level cap, you can continue to gain skills for any weapon, support, or space skill to level 100.

UPDATED: Replaced a number of planet materials.
UPDATED: Improved performance.
UPDATED: On completion of an incursion, completion notification and reward delay are much shorter.
UPDATED: Reduced base resists for various enemies.
UPDATED: Reduced FTL FX timings for faster jumps to FTL space and between star systems.
UPDATED: Stability updates.
FIXED: Rollover compare info for pugilist weapons is now displayed if a single pugilist weapon is equipped in the primary or secondary slot. If you are dual-wielding pugilist weapons, you will need to compare manually.
FIXED: A number of typos.
FIXED: Duplicate sector data in systems 0,0 - 99,0. I doubt anyone is flying around taking missions in these sectors, however - if you are I recommend that you cancel and then re-take missions if they are active.
FIXED: A bug related to the display of active drone icons on the star map.
FIXED: A bug related to walking to and interacting with objects/NPCs.

Aemar

Arcane
Stellar Tactics [developer] 9 Jun @ 11:41pm

Autonomous Universe AI - this is in the game now and will be expanded on with the story content. Generally ships choose tasks, travel the universe autonomously and change behavior based on your faction standing. Story content will add to this.

The next major content patch is one of the most ambitious and intensive patches to date. It will take time and I am working on it - as well as looking into a random crash when transitioning and during space combat on some systems.

Stellar Tactics [developer] 10 Jul @ 4:24am

What can I say? I'm working on the game every day and making good progress on chapter one of the story. Throwing more people at the game won't help, it will only cause problems. Stopping development completely to generate tools for player made content would be a disaster.

I get it, some want it done now. If you were in my shoes, what would you say? I guess everyone just wants to know that I'm still here - working on the game. So, yes, I'm here, I'm not going anywhere and I think you will like the results - when its ready.

I really don't have much more to say about all of this other than - I'm here, I've been watching this thread with interest and sometimes it's just better to get things done than insert my thoughts into busy thread. Trust me - I consume every bit of feedback, negative or positive, every sane request that would make the game better and not break the design and I read everything on this forum.

The last year saw the addition of Disable, board and capture, revised perk progression, equipment wear, the repair system, weapon special attacks and support skills, and updated universe visuals and numerous bug fixes and adjustments - so progress is being made.

Bottom line - I'm busy and happy to be doing the work I enjoy most thanks to all of you!

cpmartins

Cipher

Autonomous Universe AI - this is in the game now and will be expanded on with the story content. Generally ships choose tasks, travel the universe autonomously and change behavior based on your faction standing. Story content will add to this.

The next major content patch is one of the most ambitious and intensive patches to date. It will take time and I am working on it - as well as looking into a random crash when transitioning and during space combat on some systems.

What can I say? I'm working on the game every day and making good progress on chapter one of the story. Throwing more people at the game won't help, it will only cause problems. Stopping development completely to generate tools for player made content would be a disaster.

I get it, some want it done now. If you were in my shoes, what would you say? I guess everyone just wants to know that I'm still here - working on the game. So, yes, I'm here, I'm not going anywhere and I think you will like the results - when its ready.

I really don't have much more to say about all of this other than - I'm here, I've been watching this thread with interest and sometimes it's just better to get things done than insert my thoughts into busy thread. Trust me - I consume every bit of feedback, negative or positive, every sane request that would make the game better and not break the design and I read everything on this forum.

The last year saw the addition of Disable, board and capture, revised perk progression, equipment wear, the repair system, weapon special attacks and support skills, and updated universe visuals and numerous bug fixes and adjustments - so progress is being made.

Bottom line - I'm busy and happy to be doing the work I enjoy most thanks to all of you!
Bought this a looong time ago. I treat it as a Starsector-level potential purchase: Just forget it exists and one day be pleasantly surprised at the results.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Bought this a looong time ago. I treat it as a Starsector-level potential purchase: Just forget it exists and one day be pleasantly surprised at the results.

Same here, reminds me of Kenshi and Underrail which I both bought on Gamersgate in a bundle years before any of them got released.

jungl

Augur
hows the boarding vs destroying balance. Problem with a lot of these games boarding always way better option. It is more fun watching a ship go down and get blown up then boarding sometimes but sucks when you feel punished for doing so. Boarding should be really difficult maybe and if your party loses the fight they have to pay a hefty sum to leave with their lives.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://steamcommunity.com/app/465490/discussions/0/2956040588018716376/
Stellar Tactics [developer] 25 Sep @ 4:30pm

Of course it will happen. I'm here. I've been in the middle of a major move the last few months so quieter than usual. I should be back to work full time at the end of next week once I get my family sorted in our new home.

Certainly, the last few months have been challenging. So much time spent prepping my old home, selling it, buying a new one, and now moving in.

I have been working, just not at the usual Stellar pace as much of my equipment has been packed away.

So, look for progress updates etc. starting up again week after next.

Let this post serve as proof that I am here, the game is not abandoned and that I have no intention of walking away from this game if anyone asks again.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://steamcommunity.com/app/465490/discussions/0/4580716151542890762/
Stellar Tactics [developer] 16 Oct @ 10:23pm

Progress update next Friday 10/22
I'm finally settled in at our new residence, and have been working at my usual pace as of this last Monday.

I'll post a progress update for everyone next Friday 10/22 with information on the next content patch and what you can expect with screenshots etc. I had hoped to post something sooner, however, it has just been a bit too hectic and I have quite a bit of work to do over the next week.

I hope you all have a great weekend.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/465490/view/3048366930400011179

It’s been a very busy summer with me and my family moving across the country and a lot of time has been dedicated to preparing our old home, selling it, packing, and moving in to our new home. None the less, progress has been made. Now that I am settled in, I am working on Stellar Tactics at my usual pace.

The next update will be a big one and I’ll cover some of the details below. The biggest addition will be the introduction of Chapter 1 of the story. With Chapter 1, new characters will be introduced, primarily the introduction of the Coven and the Sovereignty. The story will continue with a communication from Dr. Jensen who needs your assistance as the doctors continue to look into ways to eliminate the Phage and further their knowledge related to the Jhemm.

The Coven is a specific mutation that presented itself on one of the four ships that made the transit with the remnants of the human race. The mutation applied itself to females while in cryonic suspension and resulted in uncontrolled Psionic powers. The Coven were immediately isolated and studied by scientists on arrival and eventually released to colonize, provided certain rules were followed. Specifically, anyone with the Coven mutation was subjected to surgical implants that subdued their powers. Psionic powers were outlawed and have been since the Arrival.

This did not go over well with The Coven and eventually they went into hiding and removed their implants, refining their powers. For hundreds of years, The Coven have not been seen and are nearly forgotten, though some still do business with them – smuggling goods for trade with the elusive and secretive faction.

bca3ea2dcca6ca9f39a8feca1cb70af93b7c9e7c.jpg

In Chapter 1, you will be introduced to the Sovereignty – the ruling power. Taxes are paid, and for that, security and law are enforced by the Sovereignty . The six main Houses (Halamis, Aralion, Cilivon, Conrair, Shikaru and Varadyne) have control over their holdings and pay tribute to the Sovereignty who in turn provides special dispensation to the Houses. The Houses exert their power on the various sub-factions in the Stellar Tactics Universe.

Ayela will be your primary contact with the Sovereignty and will have missions that involve investigating the Phage, The Coven, Raiders, Scavvers as these are all ongoing threats to peace under the rule of the Sovereignty. Ayela has been looking for a crack squad of mercenaries for a few critical missions.

642bd0f7aa98ef4bfce497e4fd99508f163c2d3a.jpg

Chapter 1 will also introduce more of the story related to the Jhemm and the menace they warn about in the Prologue. With this, Rhamus is still obsessed with the Jhemm and you will explore several of these locations in Chapter 1 which will introduce the “Azimuth” system. In addition to specific locations related to the story where you acquire Azimuth, a new random mission set has been developed for the Aznari ruins and you will find these occasionally when you scan planet surfaces. 18 new "creature" enemy types have been added for cave and ruins locations to increase the variety of enemy types you will encounter in the universe.

All of the original characters have had a facelift so they will match the new content in Chapter 1.
e705a4009b4b4ff247834b7f5d192fa6138d45ac.jpg

Speaking of mission sets, 3 new random sets will be added to the game in addition to static locations for Chapter 1 of the story.

74cf3e96a4a19ec8de7aa07143a7ce1140aa85fc.jpg

0d17fa958bbe1960d897f5f2c1278fe8303a920c.jpg

3af62e214b7480ac0a22e8ce491fe03d1e2824b6.jpg

The first pass of localization is complete for French, Spanish, Russian and German. Note that as a first pass at localization, the French, Spanish, and Russian localizations are likely very rough. The German translation is in very good shape thanks to community members who joined the translation effort. The localizations will be included in the upcoming content patch. When the content patch launches, I will open up localization again for these languages for anyone who is interested in joining.

Oh, and did I mention that Stellar Tactics is getting it's final UI? Daniel did an amazing job with the UI and the implementation work is almost complete. There are still some rough edges here and there - overall, it's coming along nicely.

a80f4ec419f7b2d0f87aa757204421156605ced8.jpg

That’s it for now. No ETA on the release of this content patch. I do hope to get everything finished before the end of this year and I will keep you updated as I make progress.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Just out of interest, speaking of shadows, I actually got the "Raytracing" shader for Reshade to work with the game a while ago, it looks quite a bit better than AO, as it does in all games where you can use it (but of course it has that weird effect it has in all games with the UI, where you can see the shader stuff through the UI).

It baffles me why game developers aren't beating a line to that guy's door to use his raytracing algorithm instead of standard AO, it's quite a step up in visuals for a relatively small fps cost.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/465490/view/3127183806215793721
Updated UI, translations and bug fixes
Updated UI, translations to German, French, Spanish, Russian and various fixes
Hello all! I’m posting a patch today that fixes a number of issues. This is primarily a stability and bug fix patch with a few other bells and whistles. It’s important to note that this is not the Chapter 1 patch. I am busy working on that and will post progress updates as things move along.

Note that a lot of data was touched for this patch so the download will be fairly large.

Here is what you will find in the patch:
1) A major stability fix related to level load lockups
2) A number of other fixes listed below
3) The updated game UI.
4) A first pass at localization to Spanish, French, German and Russian languages.
5) A warning screen if compatibility issues related to drivers and 3D rendering support are discovered when the game loads.

LOCALIZATION -French, German, Spanish and Russian
Localization is VERY ROUGH right now. I'm sure there will be a number of embarrassing language issues and typos. If you want to join the localization process to clean up the rough edges, check the link below for more info and the pinned topic at the top of that forum. I'll post translation edits and fixes with future patches as they become available.

Join the community translation. I'm looking for a few people who are interested in editing and updating the Spanish, French and Russian translations. The German translation is in good shape.

Join the translation

• You can change the language in the "Gameplay" tab of the options screen.
  • In some cases text in various languages may be too large for the UI and scroll past the boundaries of the UI area. If you notice these, please report them on the translation sub-forum here. A screenshot would really help.
    Report translation issues here!
  • Old mission data is not localized. That data is saved in your current save and will continue to be displayed in English. New missions that you take will be localized.
  • Some items in your inventory in existing saves may have descriptions and other information that are part of the save and will not be translated. New items of the same type found or purchased from vendors - like health packs - will be translated.
  • Almost everything should be translated, however, I am still looking for places where English text is displayed in a field so expect that there will still be a small number of places where a fix is needed.
  • Things that need to be translated or won't be translated for technical reasons: Crafting component suffixes, mod names, system names, character names, names of minerals, commodity names, and weapons names. There may also be a few other areas that are not translated that will get fixed over time.

Removed the HELP screen. Pressing "H" now opens the guide directly. The help screen is obsolete as all keys can be viewed and edited in the options menu and most of the information on that screen is available in the guide.

A warning interface is displayed at the main menu if your PC is not compatible with Stellar Tactics. This covers failed shader compilation and a review of all the core graphics requirements to run the game. If your system fails the check, an interface is displayed that provides a few suggestions like updating your drivers and making sure your system is utilizing your dedicated graphics GPU instead of the on-board low-power Intel GPU.

Optimizations in may areas
UPDATED: Load times improved.
UPDATED: After completing the Phestus mission, FTL drives are now available in Achmedius at ship equipment vendors.
UPDATED: Universe ship manager performance updates - especially for games that have hundreds of hours of stored ship, system and station data.
UPDATED: Reduced the size of the selected ship reticle. Added transparency to selection options.
UPDATED: New portraits for main story characters (Rhamus, Jensen etc.) to match future story content portraits.
UPDATED: Precaching of dynamically loaded assets in space to avoid hitches.
UPDATED: You can now loot all by pressing the space bar.
UPDATED: NPC ships attack each other once again. I'll keep an eye on the forums in case there are any issues. Keep an eye out for free loot chests from these battles.
UPDATED: The game UI has been revised with a new custom UI.
FIXED: A random lockup when transitioning between areas during the loading screen.
FIXED: A random lockup in space combat.
FIXED: A random crash when displaying the line of sight indicators in ground combat.
FIXED: A potential lock up in the early game when opening the ship screen before launching to space.
FIXED: The left arrow when selecting crew voices on the portrait/name/voice editing UI was not working.
FIXED: In some cases, incursions were not being triggered. If you are in a state where incursions will not trigger, travel to another star system and the issue should be resolved.
FIXED: When crafting, a message is displayed on the screen if your inventory is full. You can no longer start crafting a schematic if your inventory or cargo are full.
FIXED: The ship storage display is now closed when pressing ESC if in the ship UI.
FIXED: A bug related to initializing incursions after Rhamus/Jensen leave crew on trade station.
FIXED: Infinite experience when crafting (processing items by pressing the enter key).
FIXED: KO crew members could block movement in narrow passageways.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://steamcommunity.com/app/465490/discussions/0/3198116134621353969/
Patch incoming - 12/9/21
A number of fixes and updates here. A lot of other work completed related to localization, UI element sizing and general issues related to localization. I'll be posting this patch in the next hour.

Updated - Darkened background of weapon UI in ground exploration. Updated fonts so ammo count, AP Requirement and fire mode stand out better on the background.
Updated - Moved health kit and grenade count from over selected icons to field above grenades and health kits. Added AP cost to rollover info.
Updated - Text in hacking window over progress bar moved where it can be seen.
Updated - A few updates to new icons on main UI so icons stand out better.
Updated - Localization update - Note that localization is a work in progress. I'm really grateful for all of you who have reached out over the last few days. Community members are looking closely at German, French, Spanish and Russian. Thank you!

Fixed - If you have a dedicated hacker and remove the hacking tool, a message is sent to your log letting you know who your dedicated hacker is and that the hacker does not have a hacking tool equipped. If you are in a situation where you cannot hack, you need to equip the dedicated hacker with a hacking tool
Fixed - Loot UI - 4th loot slot in upper row fixed when clicking to loot.
Fixed - Loot UI now only responds to "SPACE" when looting all instead of any key.
Fixed - Grenade blast radius is displayed correctly when using the keyboard shortcut [O]
Fixed - When out of combat and moving, weapons now swap correctly with the hotkey or weapon swap icon. You cannot swap weapons while moving in combat. You must be stationary.
Fixed - A large number of edits to UI elements that had issues with translated text.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/465490/view/3127185618124376403
Patch 0.599
Patch Notes 0.599

12/20/21 - 0.599

Updated: Localization updated for French, Russian, German and Spanish. A HUGE thank you to everyone working on the translation! This is an ongoing project.

Updated: Mining drones will launch with the most recent drone launch state set using a new button on the drone manager window.

Fixed: Drone retrieve button is now hidden if a drone is not in a state where it can be retrieved.
Fixed: A fix for dedicated hacking, craft, salvage and repair crew members that are removed from the party and/or no longer have active hacking devices equipped. The dedicated crew flag gets reset and the currently selected crew member initiates the hack (if they have a hacking device), repair, crafting etc. Thanks for reporting the issue.
Fixed: Humanoid NPC's were rarely if ever throwing grenades. Skull NPC's have a higher chance of having grenade inventory. The chance of a NPC throwing a grenade is based on the games difficulty level set in the options menu.
Fixed: A rare lockup related to attacks of opportunity.
FIXED: A lockup when selecting a friendly planetary starbase on a planet that is out of range - approaching and selecting the landing icon. Previously, a second selection was required when in range.
FIXED: Ship icons on screen are now cleared when loading a quicksave or autosave to a ground location from space.

Consolidated patch notes/hotfixes:

12/11/21 - 0.596b

HOTFIX - If a dedicated crew member has been removed from the party or no longer has a hacking tool, the dedicated hacker is reset. The first time you hack, the flag is cleared so you will see a blank hacking UI. The second time you hack you can set a new dedicated crew member - someone who has a hacking tool equipped. I'll look for a better solution for this.

12/10/21 - 0.596

Fixed - An issue with character creation when assigning skill points.
Fixed - A number of localization fixes.

12/9/21 - 0.595

Updated - Darkened background of weapon UI in ground exploration. Updated fonts so ammo count, AP Requirement and fire mode stand out better on the background.
Updated - Moved health kit and grenade count from over selected icons to field above grenades and health kits. Added AP cost to rollover info.
Updated - Text in hacking window over progress bar moved where it can be seen.
Updated - A few updates to new icons on main UI so icons stand out better.

Fixed - If you have a dedicated hacker and remove the hacking tool, a message is sent to your log letting you know who your dedicated hacker is and that the hacker does not have a hacking tool equipped. If you are in a situation where you cannot hack, you need to equip the dedicated hacker with a hacking tool
Fixed - Loot UI - 4th loot slot in upper row fixed when clicking to loot.
Fixed - Loot UI now only responds to "SPACE" when looting all instead of any key.
Fixed - Grenade blast radius is displayed correctly when using the keyboard shortcut [O]
Fixed - When out of combat and moving, weapons now swap correctly with the hotkey or weapon swap icon. You cannot swap weapons while moving in combat. You must be stationary.
Fixed - A large number of edits to UI elements that had issues with translated text.

12/4/21 - 0.593b

Fixed - Ship beam weapons now function as intended
Fixed - Russian translation progression when first arriving in Ruins

Aemar

Arcane
Stellar Tactics [developer] 23 Feb @ 6:50pm

I'm still working on chapter 1 - way more work than I thought. I do have a patch coming in a few days that fixes bugs that have been found recently and a lot of localization fixes.

Aemar

Arcane
It's a one man project; the majority of the features and mechanics are already in the game though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom