Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
unknownr7jg0.jpg

:shredder:

It would be quite uwu!
What even does that mean?

ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER. DO YOU SPEAK IT?

This video will clarify everything.

:troll:
Let me fix that for you

Sykar

Arcane

Delterius

Arcane
Stellaris became slow because the community and the developers were tackling the wrong issues all this time. We assumed it was pops and even trade at one point. But it's actually jobs.

Even broken the way it is Stellaris is the one game that I can always have fun with. CK2 became so bloated with broken paths to success and EU4 remained too barebones for so long and only made itself cheaper with dumb power creep that I only play those games when I really have a want for their time period. Stellaris is the only thing close to Vicky and it's fully customizable.

But yes Federations is a bit of a meh. I'm looking forward to Origins and I guess the galactic community. Having psionic duels to decide the federation leader is cool and all.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Stellaris became slow because the community and the developers were tackling the wrong issues all this time. We assumed it was pops and even trade at one point. But it's actually jobs.

Even broken the way it is Stellaris is the one game that I can always have fun with. CK2 became so bloated with broken paths to success and EU4 remained too barebones for so long and only made itself cheaper with dumb power creep that I only play those games when I really have a want for their time period. Stellaris is the only thing close to Vicky and it's fully customizable.

But yes Federations is a bit of a meh. I'm looking forward to Origins and I guess the galactic community. Having psionic duels to decide the federation leader is cool and all.

The developers never actually tackled the issue. It was the community that deduced what was the problem, something that should be childishly easy with internal debugging tools.

Dunno what comes with the next patch, but so fat Paradox was largely unconcerned with performance and general quality issues. Their pipeline was entirely filled with churning out new features to cram into DLCs.

Norfleet

Even broken the way it is Stellaris is the one game that I can always have fun with. CK2 became so bloated with broken paths to success
And Stellaris is BETTER? Stellaris is so broken that basically EVERY path leads to success because the AI is lobotomized.

Actually, the CK2 AI is also lobotomized, literally just picking actions at random with no plan or strategy at all. You just don't tend to notice because with so many actors in play, you get the million-monkeys approach, and "success" is somewhat less rigidly defined.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
Reminder for anyone on the fence: This game is still irredeemable shit made by gormless pinheads. It sometimes appears to be improving, falsely, because the only members still regularly posting in this thread tend to be cretinous fanboys and similar bird-brained individuals.
:killit:

Next dev diary is going to be about Performance.

I would say that this is going to be the Moment of Truth for this DLC and this game overall. Almost the entire fanbase is tired of being strung along by Paradox, with the exception of the fanboys.

I think they need a large performance upgrade to get back in the fans' grace. Say, at least +20% performance.

Even 20% is barely enough, I think this game would need to straight-out double its performance in order to actually become fully-functional.

Next dev diary is either going to make or break it.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Optimist.
New Dev Diary gonna be about some 'upgrades' that will tank performance even more.

Quatlo

Arcane
Unless they ditch shitwitz engine there is nothing they can do. What were they thinking making this game on their crappy engine is beyond me.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Next dev diary is going to be about Performance.

I would say that this is going to be the Moment of Truth for this DLC and this game overall. Almost the entire fanbase is tired of being strung along by Paradox, with the exception of the fanboys.

I think they need a large performance upgrade to get back in the fans' grace. Say, at least +20% performance.

Even 20% is barely enough, I think this game would need to straight-out double its performance in order to actually become fully-functional.

Next dev diary is either going to make or break it.

Let's me honest. It's gonna be break it. They will announce some superficial optimizations that will show 15% "improvement" according to their internal testing. Completely irrelevant for player's experience if it takes several minutes to complete a single in-game year. In the end the game will work even slower because the newest patch/DLC will introduce features that will be even more taxing to the CPU such as Diplomatic Weight, which was already announced to be calculated by counting of all the pops and applying a shitton of modifiers.

The problem with Stellaris is that bad performance is caused not only by bad high-level programming, but also (and probably most importantly) by the aged engine. It's 2020 and the game is still unable to handle several cores properly. Just look at your CPU performance tab in Windows Task Manager while Stellaris is running. One core is used 100% most of the time, while other cores are mostly idle. Ironically, buying a newer PC is likely to make the game slower, because modern machines often use more cores rather than faster ones. But that's not all, in one thread about HoI IV the devs admitted that the engine part which governs the user interface is utter shit, badly designed and performance taxing, but they are afraid to touch it. The UI is so deeply embedded in the engine that working on it, let alone the necessary time and costs, could cause catastrophic cascade. And I guess that this applies to all engine-related problems.

EmperorCruz

Novice
I remember when buying games felt that you bought a complete experience, now its feels like your buying like 50% of a game and have to wait for a DLC to get more 10%.
Is what this game feels to me. Paying or 'performance dlc' is just too wrong. Another frustrate experience.

Norfleet

I don't think the performance is part of the DLC, that's just attached to the public patch that comes with the DLC.

The bigger point is that all of the DLC is actually already on your computer and so you're paying extra to use stuff you ALREADY HAVE.

thesecret1

Arcane
It's 2020 and the game is still unable to handle several cores properly.
Sadly, that's not limited to Paradox. Many games are still incapable of using more than one, as are many engines. For example, IIRC, Unity only added multicore support in 2018. Hell, even games that do support multiple cores sometimes fuck up and put way more stress on one core than on the other ones. Always take this into account when buying a new machine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom