Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Fitgirl updated the game, that was fast. What kind of mods should be mandatory for a first-time player then?
I wouldn't play any game first time with a bunch of mods, but that's just me.

Mods will take a few weeks to get updated.

Apparently this new version has a "rubber band" pop growth mechanic that punishes you heavily as you get bigger. It's quite awful, nonsensical, and ruins both gameplay and immersion. Filling newly established colonies up becomes impossible around the 50-100 year mark

Fitgirl updated the game, that was fast. What kind of mods should be mandatory for a first-time player then?
At a minimum the following mods
- Tiny Outliner v2
- Tiny Fleets
- UI Overhaul Dynamic
- Kaityo's tiny planet buildings for ui overhaul dynamic
- Enhanced Galaxy Dark Core
- Start with autoexplore

First 4 are just fixing the UI to be pleasant for a normal person with 20/20 vision, default is designed for people with approximately 20/100 vision with how big icons are and how much you have to scroll to find what you want. 5th is basically dark mode for the galaxy view so half the screen isn't bright white the whole time. 6th is the only gameplay modifying one, normally you have to fucking research the ability to have science vessels automatically keep exploring.

Additional suggestions:
- Reduce Aura Graphics
- Downscaled ships
- Colored map icons
- Softer Hyperlanes (blue)

All of these seemed to work fine with the new update. They are labeled as outdated but presumably not much changed.

Last edited:

Straight elf

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
So I tried playing the Dick. Some creepy looking dudes DoW-ed me for no reason so I moved my fleet to the border sector (heavily fortified) looking forward to wipe out their fleet (which is about the same as mine, so in early game with fortification= easy win). But... they never showed up. I don't want to fight the battle in their system either so nothing is happening, while the score is slowly ticking for white peace. Is this normal? Why DoW me if they do not want to attack?

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Sometimes they try to avoid your fortified system by going on a 20 year trip around the galaxy just to show up in your backdoor

Hellion

Arcane
lol, as soon as you reach Crisis Level 5 a bunch of stuff happens. The entire galaxy declares war on you with no options for peace at all, and you gain access to the new STAR EATER superweapons, which you can build and use to farm suns (firing the weapon on a star destroys all planets and resources in that system) in order to create the megastructure that "will combine this world with the Shroud" (meaning essentially that the entire galaxy blows up, in order for the entire player's race to "ASCEND").

ObgeNQR.jpg

Of course, the actual megastructure must be built in 4 stages that require 3600 days each and 20.000-30.000-40.000-50.000 Dark Matter. Farming suns with the Star Eaters produces 1.000 Dark Matter per sun, so that's quite the mass genocide one must commit.

End-game spoiler text:

XCtcXcU.jpg

The flavor text is on point throughout the course of the "become the Crisis" chain, making the player's race sound like completely megalomaniac madmen.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
At least you can improve game performance as you perform this genocide. Is there anything that even has a chance to stop you when you reach crisis level 5?

Hellion

Arcane
It depends on the game setup. For example all Fallen Empires on the map might also declare war on the player at this stage if they haven't been dealt with yet, and some other end-game crisis might also appear as it normally would. So having to fight 3-4 Fallen Empires at once (2 of them possibly "awakened" after the War for the Heavens event) combined with the rest of the galaxy, while at the same time everyone also has to deal with the Unbidden/Scourge/whatever, might be a challenge, even with the super-powerful bonuses the Menace tree provides to the player.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
At least you can improve game performance as you perform this genocide. Is there anything that even has a chance to stop you when you reach crisis level 5?

Is there anything that can stop a moderately competent player in late game?

This game is for LARPing our SF fantasies, not giving us any meaningful challenge. I myself am more like Star Trek/vanilla space opera galactic-federation builder, so I don't go on genocidal sprees. However, by mid 2300s I am usually powerful enough to ROLFstop anything, barring perhaps awakened empires left unattended. By 2400s however even those are ants.

Mortmal

Arcane

This game is for LARPing our SF fantasies, not giving us any meaningful challenge. I myself am more like Star Trek/vanilla space opera galactic-federation builder, so I don't go on genocidal sprees. However, by mid 2300s I am usually powerful enough to ROLFstop anything, barring perhaps awakened empires left unattended. By 2400s however even those are ants.
End game crisis target the more powerful empire, so likely the player empire, then if it spawn right in your best capital system , yes it can break your game.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

End game crisis target the more powerful empire, so likely the player empire, then if it spawn right in your best capital system , yes it can break your game.

I went through dozens of crises and I believe only once or twice it actually spawned in my territory despite being the top dog of the galaxy each time.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

I mentioned before a game where a fallen empire awakened early and started to rapidly expand. This was on an accelerated timeline, really tough game. The retarded thing was, the other fallen empire didn't react and all and stayed in their borders the whole time.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Apparently this new version has a "rubber band" pop growth mechanic that punishes you heavily as you get bigger. It's quite awful, nonsensical, and ruins both gameplay and immersion. Filling newly established colonies up becomes impossible around the 50-100 year mark

At a minimum the following mods
- Tiny Outliner v2
- Tiny Fleets
- UI Overhaul Dynamic
- Kaityo's tiny planet buildings for ui overhaul dynamic
- Enhanced Galaxy Dark Core
- Start with autoexplore

First 4 are just fixing the UI to be pleasant for a normal person with 20/20 vision, default is designed for people with approximately 20/100 vision with how big icons are and how much you have to scroll to find what you want. 5th is basically dark mode for the galaxy view so half the screen isn't bright white the whole time. 6th is the only gameplay modifying one, normally you have to fucking research the ability to have science vessels automatically keep exploring.

Additional suggestions:
- Reduce Aura Graphics
- Downscaled ships
- Colored map icons
- Softer Hyperlanes (blue)

All of these seemed to work fine with the new update. They are labeled as outdated but presumably not much changed.
Nice. Some of them are new to me (tinyfleets and dark core), thanks. If you don't shy from some gameplay altering mods, I'd also recommend: Guillis Panet Modifiers and Features, Planetary Diversity and Real Space, some of the origins Diversity adds are preeeeetty OP, though, but Stellaris is a LARP game anyways.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks

You know there's a lot of things you can adjust before starting a game, right?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

You know there's a lot of things you can adjust before starting a game, right?

Yeah. None of them prevents the scenario presented by Preben from happening tho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom