Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Paradox is a god awful non-indie company

They make good games and thats enough for me. Who cares about dlc, I dont buy those.

You dont buy anything.

One problem with paradox is that they will patch the game in such a way that makes it necessary to have the newest DLC in order for game to remain consistent and "balanced". Paradox is SHIT. Yes they make "ok" games (they arent even good. they are just the only games of this scope), but they are a horrible company and I mean it when i say i consider them worse than EA. (if you dont count EA's overall impact on the industry over the years of course, which given is worse than paradox just being horrible jews)

Their games are perfectly playable without DLCs, please dont decide for me ok? I played CK2 for hundreds of hours without any DLCs and its still enjoyable for me at the current patch. Same with EU4. I like those games and I am a Paradox customer satisfied by their products.

Who gives a shit about balance in semi historical games, what is this MLG? Fuck off with your retarded notions of balance in single player games.

well, eu4 isn't playable without dlcs anymore, there's one which fucks up everything if you haven't it. i hope they'll not do this same retarded mistake again, but it still sets a precedent.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
well, eu4 isn't playable without dlcs anymore, there's one which fucks up everything if you haven't it. i hope they'll not do this same retarded mistake again, but it still sets a precedent.

Really? I played a bit recently and it worked fine and as I mentioned I dont own any DLCs.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Stellaris is rather cheap for a preorder. Last cheap game on preorder I remember from Paradox ws Sengoku and it was spectacular shit. I am getting worried.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Why? EU4 was just as cheap, when it came out, for the standard edition. Maybe +$5, but definitely in the ~$45 range.

Their recent strategy has been a relatively cheap buy-in (base game) with a long tail (DLC).

I have no problem with this. EUIV was incredibly enjoyable for me, without purchasing any DLC. I've pre-ordered Stellaris, and am genuinely excited about the game. It's been a while since I had that feeling.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Stellaris is rather cheap for a preorder. Last cheap game on preorder I remember from Paradox ws Sengoku and it was spectacular shit. I am getting worried.
They are not idiots to ask for shitload of money. They wanna have theirs games affordable, and the rest would use piracy. Then they can sell them more DLC, or expect they would get them on sale when they would be more fleshed out.

Really? I played a bit recently and it worked fine and as I mentioned I dont own any DLCs.
at first eu4 had a monarch points sink in building structures in regions. then a dlc ("common sense" if i recall correctly, quite ironic) took that away, placed another system in its place but left nothing in vanilla. since then you've been forced to waste points over the very strict cap because you had no other way to spend them.
that's criminal.

Got bored and left

Just FYI (if you guys didn't know already), you can roll back to previous patches of Paradox games on Steam (well, at least CKII and EUIV) - it's under the Beta tab in Properties. Should help with any bullshit introduced by DLC (at least I think so, I never went too far back), and is pretty useful if you play with mods.

Quigs

Magister
Actively placing a mine field around a planet seems rather futile as theres a lot surface area.
Space mines that rely on enemies to come within a small radius are basically useless. Effective space-mines would basically be pre-launched missiles that hang around in space waiting for something to attack.

If you've mastered turning energy into matter (A road we've stumbled across in the last few years), a self replicating minefield seems like a no-brainer. If you *could* replicate matter , you might not need to create such a crude device however. Your replicators could potentially produce ultra-heavy materials that are born in the universe with massive velocity already assigned to them. In other words, the same device that made Picard's tea show up hot could make uranium slugs show up fast. (Or stable ununoctium, etc.)

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just FYI (if you guys didn't know already), you can roll back to previous patches of Paradox games on Steam (well, at least CKII and EUIV) - it's under the Beta tab in Properties. Should help with any bullshit introduced by DLC (at least I think so, I never went too far back), and is pretty useful if you play with mods.

You can also copy and paste the game folder to a different directory, afaik none of the Paradox stuff has DRM in it. Keeping around a clean install of every major patch is no problem.

Norfleet

If you've mastered turning energy into matter (A road we've stumbled across in the last few years), a self replicating minefield seems like a no-brainer.
I'm really kind of skeptical that self-replicating anythings of any format can happen. It seems intuitively obvious enough...but the biggest evidence that suggests that some obstacle prevents it from working is that nobody has done it yet.

Consider that it would not take very long for any kind of self-replicating phenomenon as described to be able to traverse and cover the entire galaxy: A few hundred thousand to a few million years, even without magic FTL. A very short time on an evolutionary scale, a mere blink of an eye on a galactic scale. The natural uninterrupted evolution of life would effectively cease. Yet this has not happened. Why not? It cannot be because whoever had the capability did not use it. Somebody else would. Why has this not already happened? Is this impossible? Or are we truly alone?

Quigs

Magister
It cannot be because whoever had the capability did not use it. Somebody else would. Why has this not already happened? Is this impossible? Or are we truly alone?

I feel like you're needlessly restricting your own argument to a few possibilities. We live in a world with hundreds of nukes, yet don't use them. Further, even the largest civilization is going to be limited in it's size to something unnoticeable to outsiders. The numbers just get (sigh) astronomical. 10 billion people on the planet under one government seems difficult to imagine, but given the 100 billion stars in our galaxy alone, and 200+ billion galaxies out there, the odds of us finding a civilization intentionally signalling us are a mathematical impossibility. Noticing a logical progression of a presumed result just isn't going to happen.

Adding onto that, our understanding of interstellar space is fairly limited, but what we do know is that it's different than the conditions that exist in our solar system. http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2013/12sep_voyager1/

It could be plausible that galaxies act as a final barrier, keeping whatever crazy bullshit invented there contained within. Maybe there *is* a fucked up minefield galaxy, where the mines cannot exist beyond the galactic barrier. We would never know.

DakaSha II

Prospernaut
Paradox is a god awful non-indie company

They make good games and thats enough for me. Who cares about dlc, I dont buy those.

You dont buy anything.

One problem with paradox is that they will patch the game in such a way that makes it necessary to have the newest DLC in order for game to remain consistent and "balanced". Paradox is SHIT. Yes they make "ok" games (they arent even good. they are just the only games of this scope), but they are a horrible company and I mean it when i say i consider them worse than EA. (if you dont count EA's overall impact on the industry over the years of course, which given is worse than paradox just being horrible jews)

Their games are perfectly playable without DLCs, please dont decide for me ok? I played CK2 for hundreds of hours without any DLCs and its still enjoyable for me at the current patch. Same with EU4. I like those games and I am a Paradox customer satisfied by their products.

Who gives a shit about balance in semi historical games, what is this MLG? Fuck off with your retarded notions of balance in single player games.

You are just wrong, as usual.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
If you've mastered turning energy into matter (A road we've stumbled across in the last few years), a self replicating minefield seems like a no-brainer.
I'm really kind of skeptical that self-replicating anythings of any format can happen. It seems intuitively obvious enough...but the biggest evidence that suggests that some obstacle prevents it from working is that nobody has done it yet.

Consider that it would not take very long for any kind of self-replicating phenomenon as described to be able to traverse and cover the entire galaxy: A few hundred thousand to a few million years, even without magic FTL. A very short time on an evolutionary scale, a mere blink of an eye on a galactic scale. The natural uninterrupted evolution of life would effectively cease. Yet this has not happened. Why not? It cannot be because whoever had the capability did not use it. Somebody else would. Why has this not already happened? Is this impossible? Or are we truly alone?
One of the core ideas behind Stellaris is the "End Game Crisis" - Instead of simply steamrolling everything once you're big, there wiill be something happening towards the end of the game that will demand all your attention to survive no matter how powerful you are. Self repliciating nanobots taking over sounds like a typical end-game challenge.

varangos

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
an invasion of an outer galaxy species,like the tyranids in warhammer 40k,would be a nice idea late game,having to relocate all of your recources,fleets etc to combat that threat-in the meanwhile you will have to face rebellions in your realm,incursions from your neighbors who try to benefit from the chaos etc.

Quigs

Magister
an invasion of an outer galaxy species,like the tyranids in warhammer 40k,would be a nice idea late game,having to relocate all of your recources,fleets etc to combat that threat-in the meanwhile you will have to face rebellions in your realm,incursions from your neighbors who try to benefit from the chaos etc.

No more Sunset Invasions, pls.

One of the core ideas behind Stellaris is the "End Game Crisis" - Instead of simply steamrolling everything once you're big, there wiill be something happening towards the end of the game that will demand all your attention to survive no matter how powerful you are. Self repliciating nanobots taking over sounds like a typical end-game challenge.
Also I think Fallen Empires will keep you from being an outsized threat toward the end of the midgame.

dag0net

Arcane

why would anything do that? it's not like there's any known mechanic for any concept of 'self' to be engendered or maintained over such distances, so domination would not be a motivator towards it. control could not reasonably be maintained.

other motivations would create different types of 'self-replicating' expansive materia.. of which life on earth may well be a product.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actively placing a mine field around a planet seems rather futile as theres a lot surface area.
Space mines that rely on enemies to come within a small radius are basically useless. Effective space-mines would basically be pre-launched missiles that hang around in space waiting for something to attack.

If you've mastered turning energy into matter (A road we've stumbled across in the last few years), a self replicating minefield seems like a no-brainer. If you *could* replicate matter , you might not need to create such a crude device however. Your replicators could potentially produce ultra-heavy materials that are born in the universe with massive velocity already assigned to them. In other words, the same device that made Picard's tea show up hot could make uranium slugs show up fast. (Or stable ununoctium, etc.)
Link
A post about concept of active mines, and about proper space mine warfare. In case someone seen few land mines and is thinking about simply copying the whole idea verbatim.

The above stuff would need to have some generator, which can be shot, and the resulting explosion would clean up the whole minefield.
And don't forget stuff tends to clutch together in space.

dag0net

Arcane
missiles are a bad bet for long-term deployment, in the first place because warhead and fuel source need to remain stable for whatever length of time the mine is expected to remain deployed, in the second place because improvements in ship technology may well render them [the particular missile or torpedo system installed] quickly obsolete, not to mention the tactical options employable against suspected minefields.

a self-maintaining rail gun utilizing a kinetic 'battery' on the other hand...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
missiles are a bad bet for long-term deployment, in the first place because warhead and fuel source need to remain stable for whatever length of time the mine is expected to remain deployed, in the second place because improvements in ship technology may well render them [the particular missile or torpedo system installed] quickly obsolete, not to mention the tactical options employable against suspected minefields.

a self-maintaining rail gun utilizing a kinetic 'battery' on the other hand...
A normal energy source for a missile is Pu. Have you seen current prototypes of propellant free drives? They still don't have any ideas why they are working.
But even when missile would want a reaction mass for fast acceleration, a Bi is a solid metal and it's excellent for being propellant. Methane works kinda too, depends on type of drive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom