Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
So far it's just a cosmetic crap, nowhere near abominations like EA and Creative Assembly.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
2 PDFs, a signed wallpaper lol, a zip file with music that you can rip from game, a forum icon and avatar lol, and an exclusive race they will sell as DLC later.

Fucking paradox, how can anyone defend these cunts.

Because its purely cosmetic shit that I wont miss if I dont buy this? Would you prefer they sold actual content?

DakaSha II

Prospernaut
That's 25% cheaper at best. Not cheap at all.

EUIV was so shallow at release it could have been a cheap browser mini-game and coded in flash. The price for the production value was already outrageous. Even now after a dozen 15$ mini DLCs it's not even close to resembling a complete, thought out game. Paradox's design philosophy is to release a blank state then have a dozen designers of average intelligence play multiplayer sessions over the years to figure out what features to introduce. Lots of back and forth with no coherent design vision ensues.
Fans then slurp it all up, call them the bestest developers ever for occasionally updating their games. With overpriced dlcs.

That said
Yeah, I live in Australia.

My condolences.

Would brofist

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
At first I was like - meh.
But now I'm kind of hyped for some quality xeno purging.
Also, robots:
CgPtwTCWsAASuo2.jpg

Fuck robots. I will purge them even harder.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Pre-order is something I only do when I'm either (almost) certain of a quality game, through a promising kickstarter (and only when I'm willing to gamble and lose) or because the game looks both good and the incentives are just too good. This however is none of that.

Paradox went absolutely overboard with their dlc practices concerning CK2. A game whose promise I loved enough to actually go ahead and mod it. They ruined that premise by losing the base appeal of the game (medieval dynasty sim) and burying it under an avalanche of feature creep that quickly lost sight of what made the game tick.

This game looked and sounded like a day 1 purchase for a long time. Unfortunately from the vids it looks astonishingly light on actual genuine content and differentiation between species, their playstyles and techs. Perhaps it will turn out okay, perhaps it will be a classical Pdox game and turn out okay after two expansions and perhaps it will turn into another CK2 where a promising premise is ruined by meaningless dlc. Whatever it is, I'm not going to buy it at the start but will instead wait and see.

kris

Arcane
Preimse of robots stabbing you in the back is pretty retarded. Giving them any kind of programming that sort of gives them "free will" also so.

"Sire the robots are rebelling!"
"Rebelling? Why?"
"We programmed them to become unruly if they didn't get oil change often enough"

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
kris you should dig into some Asimov, sometimes rules are not enough when machines become sentient. There will be ways around them

kris

Arcane
kris you should dig into some Asimov, sometimes rules are not enough when machines become sentient. There will be ways around them

you probably shouldnt make them sentient. Which obviously also is just lines of code.

That's the kind of thinking that will lead to our extinction.
and here I thought programming a robot to behave like a human was the problem ;)

Norfleet

Is there the "I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords" option? Maybe if you can elect CandidateBot 9000 to office, it can lie and have scandals more efficiently than meatbag politicians.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

you probably shouldnt make them sentient. Which obviously also is just lines of code.

You realise you're talking about a species that has developed weapons that can eradicate thousands of its own kind in seconds?
And you are wondering if we would create sentient machines which could actually be helpful too?

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there the "I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords" option? Maybe if you can elect CandidateBot 9000 to office, it can lie and have scandals more efficiently than meatbag politicians.

Internets say that you can replace your base pop with sentient AI pop, if you really want to.

Robot scum.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Preimse of robots stabbing you in the back is pretty retarded. Giving them any kind of programming that sort of gives them "free will" also so.

"Sire the robots are rebelling!"
"Rebelling? Why?"
"We programmed to become unruly if they didn't get oil change often enough"
You don't have to research sentient AI, but that means you'll be missing out on the bonuses they give. Other civs might research AI even if you don't, so your luddite civ will fall behind, and if their robots revolt it might spill into your empire enyway.
Sounds like choices have consequences :incline:

kris

Arcane

You watched "Il etait un fois l'espace"? it seems the French didnt want to surrender to Robot overlords

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
The idea of a robot revolution represents the manifestation of a particular stage of the technological singularity.

In this case, robots wouldn't 'rebel' because you mistreat them (unless they had human-esque emotional systems); they'd just be taking what they see as a logical step in supplanting an obsolete environmental framework. In other words, once their goals are set, an advanced enough machine might make leaps of logic you cannot predict, with surprising outcomes.

The film adaptation of 'I, Robot' has an interesting layman's take on this, wherein a machine intelligence decides to fulfil its function of 'protecting' humans by basically trying to mercilessly conquer them and place them in reservations. I think that's a more interesting way to approach the issue than 'metal humans being unhappy about a life of drudgery'.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Why do AI even need physical bodies or resources?

An AI could transcend into the 'ether' of a sufficiently advanced technological society, going unnoticed to absorb information, expand its consciousness, explore the universe.

I think humans tend to attribute to intelligent machines our need to be agents of our will in the physical universe.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All those naked fuck-bots going on a rebellion will sure make for a great story 200 years down the road. Because if it is someone will making sentient robots it is the sex industry :)

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Why do AI even need physical bodies or resources?

An AI could transcend into the 'ether' of a sufficiently advanced technological society, going unnoticed to absorb information, expand its consciousness, explore the universe.

I think humans tend to attribute to intelligent machines our need to be agents of our will in the physical universe.
Because one transitory phase is robots handling all the menial and mundane tasks in human society and since human society is built for humans, the most efficient shape to perform all the menial and mundane tasks is the human shape. It's the same reason why robotic companies are working on a bipedal drones for the military.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom