Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
In the current state of the game it might very well be that the crate is simply bugged and only works with a lantern, not for any gameplay or realism reasons.
it wasnt bugged, I simply needed the lantern, I asked here several days ago
That's not my point. The game is so buggy right now you simply can't tell what's gameplay and what's a bug. You asked for problems with it, here they are.
I dunno why you're so butthurt, personally, I encountered exactly 2 game-breaking bugs in my playthrough, and a couple smaller ones. That's an extremely stable release by modern standards.

I love this argument. I've never personally seen a starving African child, therefore they don't exist.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
In the current state of the game it might very well be that the crate is simply bugged and only works with a lantern, not for any gameplay or realism reasons.
it wasnt bugged, I simply needed the lantern, I asked here several days ago
That's not my point. The game is so buggy right now you simply can't tell what's gameplay and what's a bug. You asked for problems with it, here they are.
I dunno why you're so butthurt, personally, I encountered exactly 2 game-breaking bugs in my playthrough, and a couple smaller ones. That's an extremely stable release by modern standards.
I took on a challenge and succeeded against the odds
So you played a dumb hero and were surprised that he turned out too dumb to find the right box? :lol:
ok once you know you might need a lantern, where do you get one, is your first guess the gunshop
It was such a non-issue that I don't remember. I might had already had one, just forgot to equip it. Honestly, the game telegraphs that you're gonna need a lantern so hard with that opening dream sequence that it was a no-brainer to buy one once I saw it in some shopkeeper's inventory.
Besides, there are like 5 stores in the game, it's not like checking them all would be an impossible task.
define dumb, is it dumb to save resources and beat something in spite of difficulty, is it dumb to figure out a way to beat something you shouldnt be able to beat, is it dumb to expect a clearly visible box to require a lanturn to loot

V_K

Arcane
is it dumb to save resources and beat something in spite of difficulty
But you're not saving resources on that, on the contrary, you're constantly losing sanity - which is, arguably, far more important than kerosene. Although YMMV, of course.
is it dumb to figure out a way to beat something you shouldnt be able to beat
In-setting (diegetically) - most certainly. It's not a high fantasy game where you're playing an adventure seeker and expect to be rewarded for bravery. In a horror-ish setting, bravery is punished - which is what we have here.
is it dumb to expect a clearly visible box to require a lanturn to loot
If the game was telegraphing so hard that you were doing something wrong, and you persisted in doing it...

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
is it dumb to save resources and beat something in spite of difficulty
But you're not saving resources on that, on the contrary, you're constantly losing sanity - which is, arguably, far more important than kerosene. Although YMMV, of course.
is it dumb to figure out a way to beat something you shouldnt be able to beat
In-setting (diegetically) - most certainly. It's not a high fantasy game where you're playing an adventure seeker and expect to be rewarded for bravery. In a horror-ish setting, bravery is punished - which is what we have here.
is it dumb to expect a clearly visible box to require a lanturn to loot
If the game was telegraphing so hard that you were doing something wrong, and you persisted in doing it...
I did nothing wrong though, I beat it with barely any issue

the only thing wrong is that the game arbitrarily gated opening a clearly visible box

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
I did nothing wrong though, I beat it with barely any issue
You were losing sanity all the time while traversing darkness. Stuff that was supposed to be interactable wasn't. If this didn't give you the idea that you were doing something wrong, you are indeed dumb, and not just your char.
How were you supposed to know the boxes were interactable, really once you get through the dark room you dont take sanity damage, the ghouls are right there to fight

Yosharian

Arcane
The darkness-level has nothing at all to do with the ability to perceive objects BY TOUCH
And how is your character supposed to know what a transmitter feels like exactly?
Your only clue in game as to which crate to loot is its number - which you obviously can't see in the dark.
but I could see it in the dark, the problem was the player was given no indication that they needed a lantern to loot boxes in slightly dark rooms
I don't know man, I did the stabber quest first and when I walked into that tunnel next to the mafia club and nothing was interactable, while I was getting sanity damage, it took me exactly 2 seconds to realize I need to leave and come back with a lantern.
"It was obvious to me, so there's no problem here!"

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
also progressing anywhere in the game and doing anything gets you sanity damage, why were you expected to be forced to get a lantern

boxes are clearly visible

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
the first rpg I ever played was called Pokemon Red, they had a genius way of letting you know you needed light, by making it dark enough so you couldnt see where you were going

stygian makes it dark enough to where you get no feedback, why would I assume anything would be different just because it's slightly darker, yet I can still see

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
even a game as simple as pokemon red understood a way to make you want to get a light source, to make it nearly mandatory, stygian does no such thing

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
And how is your character supposed to know what a transmitter feels like exactly?
Your only clue in game as to which crate to loot is its number - which you obviously can't see in the dark.
Once I tried finding specific thing in a dilapidated warehouse full of heavy crates when my flashlight gave up a ghost. I fruitlessly searched for several hours.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Once I tried finding specific thing in a dilapidated warehouse full of heavy crates when my flashlight gave up a ghost. I fruitlessly searched for several hours.
was the specific thing also marked with a clearly visible number on the box, something like 311

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kinda funny imagining a man on the brink of insanity waving around a knife in a pitch black warehouse fighting ghouls and god knows what else while screaming "where is the god damn transmitter!"

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
was the specific thing also marked with a clearly visible number on the box, something like 311
I just checked warehouse again. By the way, final crate with weapons regenerated (oh yes!), radio parts regenerated too. Ghouls in a room with Flesh Devourer were present as well. So, man, you need to turn brightness on your display waaaaay down. Without lantern it is pitch black. I can't even see crates, number 311 my ass.

Yosharian

Arcane
Again a disingenuous comparison, but not surprising from someone who just mindlessly labels other peoples' posts as retarded.

There is ONE crate in that corner of the room, it's very obvious even though it's dark. It's not analogous to your example in the least.

Yosharian

Arcane
Kinda funny imagining a man on the brink of insanity waving around a knife in a pitch black warehouse fighting ghouls and god knows what else while screaming "where is the god damn transmitter!"
Kinda funny imagining that a fucking crate in front of your very eyes ceases to exist and can't be searched just because it's dark.

The rationalization here is off the fucking charts.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I mean, if you want to get petty, you might be able to distinguish the general outline of the box itself on the dark, doesn't mean you'll be able to look in it and actually make heads or tails of what's actually inside, it'll most likely be much darker.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Autism levels in the last few pages are through the roof
autism would be you not understanding the point and having to call it autism, projection
Oh i understood the point all right, right from the start.
The sheer stubborness and beating of the dead horse by the likes of you just creates unnecessary clutter.

If the lamp issue bothers you so much, go to steam and politely write a post about it to the dev team, with arguments and all. Im pretty sure they would listen to it.

Silva

Arcane
The game could communicate the fact that maybe carrying a light source could reveal things in the room, sure. But I don't find it broken or even illogical the way it is.

Yosharian

Arcane
I mean, if you want to get petty, you might be able to distinguish the general outline of the box itself on the dark, doesn't mean you'll be able to look in it and actually make heads or tails of what's actually inside, it'll most likely be much darker.
Wooooosh

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom