Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Subnautica: Released (SPOILER WARNING past Post #1)

Hellraiser

Arcane
Finished Below Zero yesterday after playing it during the weekend.

tl;dr version: the base game in general is a better game because there is less storytelling and more exploration, especially encouraged exploration since it does not have as much of a quest compass.

autism enabled version: It is definitely smaller and at the same time the game is telling you where to go to most of the time, which leads to a more linear and shorter experience. Especially when you look at tech progression which now is really hampered because you don't have aurora wrecks all over the place. Exploration, which for me was the main selling point of the first game, suffers because of this smaller scale and because the waypoints the game throws at you are far less "subtle" (closer to the actual "you need to go here to progress" spots). There's a ton of tight spaces so it is no wonder that the Cyclops is not in, it simply would be too fat.

Gameplay wise the additions of the sea truck, spy pengwynn (or how was it spelled in game) and arctic land exploration (including exposure/hypothermia risk) add not a whole lot over the "base" game. Practically what you pay for is a new map and story scenario, so technically getting more of the same. You end up getting less of the same though, since the map is smaller, and the game spells out where to go at least 7 out of 10 times as opposed to the more subtle approach of guiding the player the first game had (which sometimes was maybe a bit too cryptic, but it added to the exploration experience IMO).

The land part in particular is in my opinion largely underdeveloped (yes, I obviously know there is "nautica" in the title and it is not the focus of the game/series), if you bother with the topic of arctic exploration in a survival game it really should have forced you to build shelters inland or place beacons around not to get lost in heavy snow. This disappointed me also because I am a sucker for arctic settings ever since as a kid I watched the shit about Mariusz Kaminski's arctic journeys (Potato TV also used to have a weekly show about the topic at one point in the 90s), and I really hope we would get a better arctic experience.

Meanwhile all you need to do to survive on the icy land is get a snowfox, you even don't need the arctic suit since the snowfox acts like somekind of "Kharkovchanka" and prevents hypothermia despite not being enclosed. Between that and the abundant food found in caves all around the land biomes, that raises body heat, the cold ends up being a bit of a joke without much effort. Although at least magnetite for the snowfox is not so easy find, unless you know you can just use the spy pengwynn to find it in the small caves it can access and collect minerals from (easy to miss that the pengwynn is useful for this IMO). Speaking of which it is a pity the game does not make more use of remote exploration/drones. The camera drones are also quite underused, I wonder if there is a mod to make them mine deposits.

Story is worse because there is more of it, or rather there is a voiced character having dialogue, but at least it got severly cut down and retooled between EA and release. I am quite certain it would be as woke if the original game did not have the whole "sole isolated mute survivor listening to doomed logs" theme, you saw the [current year] seeping through some of the log entries you collected. Initial BZ story in EA was worse with more chatty characters and a scenario with more holes. Also the new intro sequence is better, since you get to the meat of the game or rather water much sooner with less scripted sequences than in the first BZ story iterations.

The one thing the game objectively did better was streamlining some recipes (fabricator for instance) and not doing a "lol, now go back and collect plants before they rot" at the fucking last minute of the game, clearly informing you what you need to bring in advance of reaching the deepest part of the map.

Yes I know there are teleporters in the base game around the chamber connecting to all the biomes, but the whole thing is tedious as fuck with the boring slow walking.

Well that and you don't need to dodge as many vessel destroying killer leviathans to finish the game. Only once I lost my PRAWN parked outside the alien ruins at the bottom of the map, while I was busy engaged by the endgame storytelling. Of course I had to reload, because I could not return to the surface and finish the game without it (unless it would spawn me in the drop pod if I died, dunno).

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
My biggest problem with the first game was the grindy endgame (also my thalassophobia). Is this one improved in that?

At one point you will be told you need to craft three specific things. The problem isn't in crafting them per se, but in finding the locations that give you the recipes. (One of the items needed is found in the drop pod-biome though, so some backtracking may be needed.)

This looks and feels like it's the Main Quest around the half-way mark of the game, but once you do this the game is essentially over, you only need to go to a certain location afterwards and the game is done.

So... yeah, there is grinding in the game, but it's not a surprise endgame-grinding event.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Finished Below Zero yesterday after playing it during the weekend.

tl;dr version: the base game in general is a better game because there is less storytelling and more exploration, especially encouraged exploration since it does not have as much of a quest compass.

But you now be a soul sista, that more than makes up for it.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I really loved the first game, I was put off by what I was hearing about Below Zero but decided to try it out after seeing a certain shark playing it a few days ago. I've gotten as far as the mandatory Spy Pengling part, I'm probably not going to finish this game and I'm glad I acquired it for free.

What's really baffling is that it's been over three years since the first Subnautica was fully released. They already had the engine and most of the assets ready to reuse. And in that time they've made...a tiny new region with less diverse and more empty biomes, a handful of new creatures. Oh, and a temperature meter that only functions on land and makes no sense - you avoid hypothermia by getting into shade or water. What?

Over three years. And in all that time, they managed to give us a game that's less than the first in every way that matters, the only things there are more of are tedium and cringe. What were they doing in that time?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Oh, and a temperature meter that only functions on land and makes no sense - you avoid hypothermia by getting into shade or water. What?

That one they actually explained away in the readables. Robin's wetsuit uses the surrounding water to heat up the wearer.

Yes, she's wearing literal plot armor.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I really loved the first game, I was put off by what I was hearing about Below Zero but decided to try it out after seeing a certain shark playing it a few days ago. I've gotten as far as the mandatory Spy Pengling part, I'm probably not going to finish this game and I'm glad I acquired it for free.

What's really baffling is that it's been over three years since the first Subnautica was fully released. They already had the engine and most of the assets ready to reuse. And in that time they've made...a tiny new region with less diverse and more empty biomes, a handful of new creatures. Oh, and a temperature meter that only functions on land and makes no sense - you avoid hypothermia by getting into shade or water. What?

Over three years. And in all that time, they managed to give us a game that's less than the first in every way that matters, the only things there are more of are tedium and cringe. What were they doing in that time?
Why do people like Subnautica? You do a lot of travelling and busywork to build a base that isn't even needed. Seems like a lot of grind for no fun endgame. I wanted the sequel to just expand on the first game instead of redoing it.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

Long review that does a good job of summing up everything wrong with Below Zero. Everything you won't get cancelled for mentioning, anyway. What's really amazing is that apparently they had a different plot but people complained about too much dialogue, so they scrapped it and replaced it with...a worse plot that still has too much dialogue. What were they thinking?

Why do people like Subnautica? You do a lot of travelling and busywork to build a base that isn't even needed. Seems like a lot of grind for no fun endgame. I wanted the sequel to just expand on the first game instead of redoing it.
The main aspects that appeal to me are exploration and atmosphere. Starting out you're exploring an alien world and encountering the strange and interesting creatures that live there. Then later you build the Cyclops and go on your expedition to the deep caves, travelling through really exotic environments and seeing amazing sights.

I've actually only done a single, ~20-hour playthrough of Subnautica, it's not something you're meant to keep playing forever and I feel like the impact would be lessened on subsequent playthroughs. So I was hoping for a "similar, but different" experience from Below Zero, but it was not to be as it completely fails to capture anything that made the first game such a wonderful experience.

What were they doing in that time?
Virtue signaling, I bet.
Correct.

RRBkNAZ.png

Unwanted

Abracadabra

Unwanted
I'm playing Subnautica for the first time now and it sucks big time. You do nothing but grind collecting resources with crafting chains that grow increasingly complex as the game goes on. The entire game is like if someone saw ABZU and thought that they better suck all the fun out of that game and replace the gameplay with Minecraft grind without the voxel world.
Why do people like Subnautica? You do a lot of travelling and busywork to build a base that isn't even needed. Seems like a lot of grind for no fun endgame.
This is correct.

Unwanted

Abracadabra

Unwanted
The draw of the game is exploring a hostile alien ecosystem. If that doesn’t appeal to you then yeah the rest of the game is basically busywork.
There isn't any ecosystem to speak of. The fish do not eat the plants or anything like that. There are a few bigger creatures that eat smaller ones but there isn't anything more to it. I might have enjoyed it if I weren't swimming around with a shopping list and stuffed pockets. Through the game mechanics the fishes turn into a nuisance, something you zap on your way to the grind.

Unwanted

Abracadabra

Unwanted
The entire game is like if someone saw ABZU and thought that they better suck all the fun out of that game

What exactly is fun about ABZU? Afaik it's not even a game.
It's what you would be left with if you removed the retarded timesinks from Subnautica. Items not stacking made me give up on the game, basebuilding is terrible and as already mentioned the grindy gameplay spoils any exploration. Is Subnautica a real game?

polo

Magister
I guess its not for you, i found it amazing and quite addictive, even with the valid points you mention such as inventory management being quite bad, grinding (didnt bother me much personally), and some other stuff.

Unwanted

Abracadabra

Unwanted
I guess its not for you, i found it amazing and quite addictive, even with the valid points you mention such as inventory management being quite bad, grinding (didnt bother me much personally), and some other stuff.
Guess not but I did like underwater exploration games like ABZU. With all the talk I thought I would like this too. Figured it might be more of a video game like Zelda but underwater or something. Instead I got grind hell and had to return the game.

Machocruz

Arcane
I didn't think collecting resources was bad compared to the other survivalcraft games I played. It didn't take ridiculous amounts to build stuff and there was no farming for drops with a drop rate of 2%. But I have yet to finish it, so maybe the resource requirements get ridic. Only as far as the second Degasi base currently

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Collecting resources is easy once you grasp how they distributed in the game's world after scanning them and reading in-game wiki. And if that wasn't enough, thanks to whiny bitches like Abracadabra they added not long before release scanner room which triviliazes the process completely. By the way, inventory management isn't hard if... manage it and not swimming around with full pockets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom