Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Survey of the Reddit Fallout fanbase (results inside)

RapineDel

Augur
Can't expect much more from them. To the majority of console owners Fallout 3 is the peak of RPG gaming and they think 1 and 2 (which they also assume are old Bethesda games) are only the way they are because of how technology was at the time.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I will get some hate for that but I think 3D FPS is a step forward in the franchise just like GTA 3 was a leap by advancing into 3D TPP. I would love to have a Fallout with the care to different builds and details like in VTM:Bloodlines but in Fallout universe with same level of graphics and fps mechanics like in Fallout 4. Something like STALKER successor. Isometric is good for tactical turn-based shooters, Fallout was more about story, the exception being Fo:Tactics. You can create memorable places and great stories in FPP too, it is more expensive but I believe it also gives you more freedom since you can create more complex areas, puzzles, characters and have much more details than just have it written in contextual window. That's why I play games, they allow for interaction, isometric games have their limits.

Ahahaha. Ahahahahahaha. Ahahahahahahahahaha.

Please name me one decent party-based PRG that is 3D FPS or 3D TPP which allows hassle-free and intuitive control of all party members without giving yourself epilepsy trying to control the camera. And if you can invent one from some unusual kind of spin-speak, name me five.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
What are your favorite aspects of the series?
Lore
Exploration
Freedom
Open world
Roleplaying
The setting
Exploring

I'm sure you'd get the same results surveying Elder Scrolls fanbase.

Favorite quote?
War, war never changes
War never changes
War. War never changes.
War, war never changes.
War. War never changes
"They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard."
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
Comments
Tunnel Snakes Rule!
Tunnel Snakes rule!
:)
Hi
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE
Great survey!
This is a comment.

:retarded:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Some of my answers, for reference:

Favorite Mods:

- FO1: Fallout Fixt.
- FO3: Wanderer's Edition, DarnUI.
- FNV: Project Nevada, JSawyer, Mass Recalibration, Vicious Wastes, Immersive Minigames, Alternative Repairing, Real Recoil, Weapons of the New Millenia, DarnUI.

Favorite Quote:

- Caesar: "I'm not familiar with that condition. Is it treatable?"

Comments:

- Gave the series a "3" because it is the average of my opinion on all games. Some really good RPGs, some really not so good. In the "engine" question, it would have been nice to have more diversity, maybe by using other videogames as example (Divinity: Original Sin; Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny; Wasteland 2). I would have definitely voted the Pillars of Eternity engine in that case.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
69f656a4963f5548dd4e00a8e612c6fd.png

All you need to know about this survey and its participants.

Nothing wrong with being young. This however...

al5kc0b.png

calls for exterminatus.

Quillon

Arcane
1 and 2 are only the way they are because of how technology was at the time.

That's true. Leo Boyarski said he was kinda sad that he isn't the one who made the first first-person fallout game. Also Tim Cain loved the 3D washinmachineton. If you give them the license, budget & creative freedom, they'd do a first-person Fallout today with TB combat prolly.

pippin

I think for the kind of game they wanted to make, they'd probably tried to make something more akin to Deus Ex in terms of player interaction, if they wanted to do something in FP. After Fallout 3 this feels like a betrayal, of course, but I could see that happening. After all, wasn't the Arcanum sequel going to be FP as well?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
You have to be mildly retarted to play through FO3.

I tried several times and always quit in Megaton. It's the NPCs.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I played thorugh fallout 3. It's the only game I finished and considered bad. That's actaully impressive, you see game menu and feel relief, katharsis.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I liked the main quest in Fallout 3, especially the high tech place you go to, it reminded me a bit of System Shock. But doing side quests in a game like that is for dumb losers so just doing the MQ meant I completed the game in about 2 days and that was enough for me. Overall I thought it was ok, the MQ gave me some fun but all the bad stuff ate away at that so overall it was a solid 'ok' out of 10. I also completed NV but I thought that game sucked. It was maybe better than Fallout 3 overall but again, anyone who does side quests is a dumb loser and the main quest was crap, so for me I completed it in about 3 days and felt dissatisfied. I also tried Fallout 4 but did not complete, and did not last long. I was surprised it was not more popular though. I think it is better than F3 at being an action fps with a few rpg mechanics.

To me the main problem with all those games is that I hoard rocket launchers, gatling lazerz, grenades, mines, all kinds of shit. And then I save them for some big uber challenging encounter, and the fucking thing never comes. It happened with all of them, I complete the game with a bulging inventory full of weapons of mass destruction. Before uninstalling I load a save game earlier in the game and find a few super mutants huddled in a corner and rocket launch them or something but it is never satisfying when it isn't necessary and I've already finished the game. The games are all pretty shit tbh. Typical Bethesda trying to give the player freedom instead of giving them a finely tuned and balanced experience with scripted encounters etc that would be far more fun. Open Werdlz might seem orsum when you are 13, but I would rather just play System Shock or Halflife or something which doesn't have an open world but the plus side is that it is a decent fucking game.

p.s. The only thing I enjoyed in Fallout 4 was a DLC with some guy called the machinist or something, and you get a huge epic battle against him as he summons lots of crazed robots. That was the kind of battle I wanted all along. But it is only 1, out of all those games, and it is also kinda ruined by the fact that you can just pause the game whenever you are injured and eat a bunch of health stuff. Again, Bethesda don't know game design.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Bethesda don't know game design.

Also, what bugs me is that they are kind of anti game design...

I grew up with games where each battle was finely tuned and perfected by the devs, so I had to do everything perfectly to win. And if I didn't, I would die and have to do the whole thing all over again until I nailed it. That is like game design basics, it is the reason gaming exists today, because people spent a fortune on arcade machines to nail that battle. And on home gaming it was the same. You couldn't put a game down until you beat it. You might fail some battles or challenges but that just made you more determined to try it again and get it perfect. That is what was addictive about games. And even if you did win an encounter, if you maybe used more resources than necessary, you would sometimes want to do it yet again to win it even slicker so you had more shit for later in the game.

Bethesda games don't have anything even like that. There are no encounters that are challenging in the first place, and even when you do get injured or run out of ammo in one gun or something, it never matters in Bethesda games. Because you can just pause the game and you have an infinite supply of cheese wheels, health packs, potions, scrolls, grenades, rocket launchers, and whatever else you need to win. And it doesn't even matter if you are an unskilled piece of shit who uses 4 rocket launchers and 25 grenades to kill one boss, because the game has an infinite supply of other stuff for any other encounters anyway.

This is the main reason I hate Bethesda games. And lots of other modern games are the same. Old games devs would never dream of releasing something like that. I can't think of a single game pre mid 90s that works that way. It doesn't matter if it is Duke Nukem, Commander Keen, Krondor, System Shock, Lemmings etc... etc... they all had limited amounts of everything and every single challenge in the game was painstakingly designed to only be won if you played well.

Frozen

Arcane
3 and 4 aren't fallout games at all same as New Vegas
They are all TES games- aka Oblivion with Guns.

typical user

Arbiter
I will get some hate for that but I think 3D FPS is a step forward in the franchise just like GTA 3 was a leap by advancing into 3D TPP. I would love to have a Fallout with the care to different builds and details like in VTM:Bloodlines but in Fallout universe with same level of graphics and fps mechanics like in Fallout 4. Something like STALKER successor. Isometric is good for tactical turn-based shooters, Fallout was more about story, the exception being Fo:Tactics. You can create memorable places and great stories in FPP too, it is more expensive but I believe it also gives you more freedom since you can create more complex areas, puzzles, characters and have much more details than just have it written in contextual window. That's why I play games, they allow for interaction, isometric games have their limits.

Please name me one decent party-based PRG that is 3D FPS or 3D TPP which allows hassle-free and intuitive control of all party members without giving yourself epilepsy trying to control the camera. And if you can invent one from some unusual kind of spin-speak, name me five.

Because RPG means party members. :retarded:

Well Dragon Age: Inquisition did party management well, of course ignorant as you are, you will dismiss that game because it has to be bad in all aspects from top to bottom.

I don't need pack-mules following me, it kinda is stupid that you can assamble party of 6 in Falout 2 and those guys don't say single word after you destroy Enclave. First Fallout wasn't any better, companions were designed to become obsolete and turn into human shields.

Not every RPG needs to be Baldur's Gate.

RapineDel

Augur
Don't be. It's the new meme since FO4 was released.

New Vegas has always been more loved than the Bethesda trash. Steam ratings:

Fallout 3 Userscore: 83%
Fallout 4 Userscore: 78%

New Vegas Userscore: 95%

For PC Gaming this is true but for console players NV is considered a 'copy' of Fallout 3 because they can't be bothered with dialogue and interesting settlements. They just want to get back to 'pew pew pew' and would likely skip half the dialogue they could.

Quillon

Arcane
For PC Gaming this is true but for console players NV is considered a 'copy' of Fallout 3 because they can't be bothered with dialogue and interesting settlements. They just want to get back to 'pew pew pew' and would likely skip half the dialogue they could.

Its all about the EXPLORATION maaaaaaaaan. Don't you know fallout is a 4x game?.. explore, explore, explore, explore and it just works.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Because RPG means party members. :retarded:

Well Dragon Age: Inquisition did party management well, of course ignorant as you are, you will dismiss that game because it has to be bad in all aspects from top to bottom.

I don't need pack-mules following me, it kinda is stupid that you can assamble party of 6 in Falout 2 and those guys don't say single word after you destroy Enclave. First Fallout wasn't any better, companions were designed to become obsolete and turn into human shields.

Not every RPG needs to be Baldur's Gate.

If Baldur's Gate is your only reference for Party Based RPGs, all I can say is:

A.gif

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Final Fantasy XII
Valkyria Chronicles
Hyperdimension Neptunia

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Final Fantasy XII

And this one actually gave you tools so that your party members would do logical things without you needing to tell them, which definitely made the combat much, much more bearable and fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom