Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends - RIP n-Space!

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
After all, back when the first news came out, I pooped all over the design for several pages here, and still there were Codexians ready to buy and telling me that it was "too early" to know what the game would be like. Now, just imagine what other places were like - where it was just a pure d&d wankfest, with no one even thinking to look behind the curtain.

Wow - you mean some people on the codex are shamelessly gobbling up any game that comes out with even a sliver of nostalgia and defend it to the death?

Despite large undeniable evidence that it's going to be shit?

Where's my Nicholas Cage meme.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That's quite interesting. Do you know the guy's username? I'd like to see this watchshaming myself.
Don't remember anymore, it was long time ago. I only remember the thing because of the phone games thing, one of the Watch members is obsessed with games not even smelling like they are for phone so he found out fast what that "hardcore" site is all about.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was going to suggest elf palading + orc barbarian for the multiplayer, but sadly there are no orcs.

sstacks

Arcane
It's when your paladin gets dinged. In Everquest, this was a good thing. In most other worlds, it's not.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"NWN sales were in the millions of copies (I think I read both NWNs combined to over 3 million) Your estimation sounds low, but even if right, not only DnD nerds play DnD games, it's not like 250K is the ceiling of how many people will play your game."

NWN alone sold 3mil. NWN was BIO's most successful - even more than BG2 or KOTOR1 - until DA came out.

As for SCL, it is bogus. The biggest difference between other D&D RPGs is that it doesn't even seem to try to be D&D. Even POR2 tried. It failed miserbaly but it seems like the effort was there to make it DnD. Also, TOEE and NW (btw all 3 of these came out just after 3E was released and were in development while it was made) s so the excuse that 5e just came out is bogus. And, those 3 games were competing with each other along with MW and IWD2 at the time. That was the big issue with POR2 too. It desperately wanted to be 'first' so rushed. SCL didn't have thate xcuse. It has no competition.

EPIC FAIL. EPIC FUKKIN' FAIL.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Volourn, are you a bioware employee?

I don't know, I don't see anything romanceable in his posts.

But the 3 million figure is the best approximation I could find. If anyone can quote a better source it'd be interesting, to know how big is (or was shortly ago) the DnD CRPG potential playerbase.

I'm sure a decently put together game which was just a NWN2 updated to 5E and to nowadays visuals, with an ok story would have sold millions of PC copies, and brought a lot of good publicity to the new edition (which it badly needs)

pippin

Last time I checked, KOTOR was so big for Bioware, it allowed them to work without pressure or releasing new products for a number of years. That's why they only made Jade Empire between KOTOR and ME1. I don't know anything about numbers, but since KOTOR was also released on XBOX, I guess it was as big or even bigger than NWN.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Last time I checked, KOTOR was so big for Bioware, it allowed them to work without pressure or releasing new products for a number of years. That's why they only made Jade Empire between KOTOR and ME1. I don't know anything about numbers, but since KOTOR was also released on XBOX, I guess it was as big or even bigger than NWN.

Yes, but KOTOR engine was an update to Aurora engine, so in the end it only proves what a good financial move was NWN series, and how doing things with quality as a priority is the way to go when you have a niche product . SCL Unity scripts will achieve nothing in the long run.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Yes, as big.

https://web.archive.org/web/20081217170154/http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/about/

Released on the Xbox in July 2003 and on PC in November 2003 and published by LucasArts, this was the fastest-selling Xbox game in history at the time of its release.The game has sold 3 million copies to date (Xbox and PC)

Telengard

Arcane
I would describe it like a budget version of NWN with minimal complexity and the most barebones editor you could imagine.

However, it's endearing in an odd sort of way. I kinda like the atmosphere and the old-school vibe.

I think the best way to approach it is to forget that it's supposed to be D&D - and accept it as a casual fantasy romp with some PnP trappings.

Keep in mind that I've only played it a few hours. It could expand in some ways, I suppose - but I doubt it.
I played it for about 20 odd hours or more and i find the story to be great and the quests dont become boring. I dont know if that is because i am playing multiplayer though.
That's nonsense, actually you have a whole set of creatures that are dark elves that you can add to a module. I won't deny there are some simple elements to this game. For me, the fact the campaign has branching dialogue and other things that aren't in the module creator yet is a bit annoying. I don't like the cool downs either but lengthening the duration of some cooldowns and in general nerfing a bunch of skills would go a long way because you kinda start out kind of godlike.

I like the game but I admit I'm not a purist. However, I can't see resting in a multiplayer game and taking turns like you are sitting around the table with your buddies ever really working within a computer game. A board game(and that really is what D&D is) would be so much better in person. I have never liked a computer board game. Thats me though and my opinion.

I think the game especially the campaign is a lot of fun. It resembles(in my mind) an isometric Dragon Age more then it does Neverwinter Nights. There is a resting camping spot where you can quiz your NPC mates for God's sake. You can turn off party AI behaviors and following and pause the game to give your strategy to each NPC just like Dragon Age. The party banters are admirable and the atmosphere is very Forgotton Realms.

I am willing to give the developers time to patch and add to the game just like I have waited a year for Divinity to get better.
Signed: Your friends at the Watch.

EDIT: Context for the last one is certainly someone wanting to be Drizzt a dark elf, not simply have them in the game. Lots of those people around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom