Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tactics Ogre: Let us cling together - One vision mod - the best tacticool game out there.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have tried this for a couple hours and it's fantastic. Just the balance patch the game needed to make it contender to best game in the genre.

I have always preferred FFT, but with this Mod i'm not sure anymore. Will wait till I complete it to decide it.

I recommend anyone new to Tactics Ogre go with this PSP modded version. Not even close.

Absinthe

Arcane
Spotted a guide going over some of the changes the mod makes: https://nichegamescom.wordpress.com/2018/10/02/one-vision-the-guide/

Also, going over the detailed changelog (the giant PDF enclosed in the mod's file), it looks like the mod has tried to make the AI a bit less retarded, but not I'm not seeing any detailed attempts to fix the AI. And I may as well mention that the mod has been updated on September 26th, so I guess it's still in active development.

Repressed Homosexual
The issue I mentioned three years ago is still there. I refuse to have to tediously buy all those skills with points. Why can't I try a class for a few levels, then go to another as I see fit? This stupid system ruins that.

That and the removal of permadeath. You have too many chances to keep a character now, it's the "once HP is zero, three turns and then he's dead" system from Final Fantasy Tactics. And it's even worse in fact, because your character can die two times this way, until a third death that is final! Only then is he forever gone! It's nuts.

And also the pooled inventory. The original had inventory limited to single characters. It changed the game completely because it forced you to play carefully.

These three issues make Tactics Ogre PSP a joke and completely unplayable.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Just the balance patch the game needed to make it contender to best game in the genre.

Not even close.

EDIT: http://bit.do/eUaHq

Man miss that guy's site. What a treasure trove.
This review nails it, excellently written. I saw nothing but endless praise for Tactics Ogre over the years, so I finally got around to playing the PSP release and felt it was the most degenerate and tedious SRPG I've ever played. Originally that was Disgaea, but at least that series is honest about itself and quick.

mushaden

Scholar
mod is now version 1.0 just in time for the stupid rerelease of the game

spekkio

Arcane
Grunker said:
I like my games frustratingly, autisticly hard
BRO Grunker, I'm happy to inform, that I've found sth right up your alley - Tactics Ogre PSP version + One Vison Mod.

After my aborted "Reborn" playthrough, I've tried the PSP version again, only to give up at the beginning of Chapter 2. Shit was just way too boring and less challenging than the original Snes game. There's like billion skills, yet I went through 2-3 missions without spending "skill points" on anything useful. 'Cuz there wasn't anything worth investing into. :roll:

So I've restarted with One Vison and loved the game this time. Until I got filtered out in the middle of Chapter 2. Game just got much harder, for example the only reasonal way of winning the "boss fights" was to go after the boss right away, ignoring all other enemies, who would overwhelm you otherwise (if you decided to "exchange blows" with them). Fun, but not my cup of fun.

Short description of differences between versions / why One Vision is good:

a) differences between PSP version and "Reborn" version:
  • No fucking HP bloat. You start with units' HP around 150, and your units can kill / be killed in 2-3 attacks. OV makes it even better with more / stronger skills and weapons causing status-changing effecst like all the time (see below).
  • No fucking cards, except after you kill enemies, they can drop them (which is rare). These will increase your stats permanently (+1)
  • All skills are contained within the "skills" system. You can learn them in exchange for "skill points" and equip them in up to 10 slots. Equipment influences stats, and has generally nothing to do with skills.
  • "Special actions" require separate "Tactical Points" (TP), which work similar to the MP: you start the mission with 0, and they gradually increase after your unit takes actions.
But wait, there's more!

b) differences between "vanilla" PSP version and the "One Vision" mod.
  • Everything is tweaked, makes more sense and makes the game less boring and more difficult. This applies to jobs, equipment, skills, magic, items...
  • Every type of weapon now has different role, which is done mostly by adding negative statuses to regular damage. Daggers and claws cause poison or mute, katanas damage TP, swords "damage" armor, etc. etc.
  • Combat is now a negative statuses orgy. After 1-2 "turns" almost all combatants will be poisoned, stuned, muted, breached, and what have ya. Ability to clean these statuses with items, healers or special skills (Knights have those) is crucial.
  • YOU CAN'T FUCKING revive your units for free. "Revive" item now forces its user to flee the battle. So you can revive fag A with fag B, but you will still end up with -1 unit (fag B leaves the battle). :obviously:
  • YOU CAN CONTROL MOST OF GUESTS NOW. Fucking A, mang. You can control Catiua and Vyce during all chapter 1 fights. Same with Donnalto the cleric and Bayin the Wizerd during their "survive and join or perish" missions. This alone makes the OV mod worth it.
  • AI is much better. I got filtered out when multiple enemy healers appeared, with AOE healing spells, ability to use Mana Leafs and work together with brawlers. After that, you can't just "do things slowly" and kill all enemies sistematically. You have to either go after bosses right away, tweak your skills / equipment / etc. like an autists before every battle, or grind for better skills / finishers. Not my kind of fun.
  • Some fights vere epic: Nybeth in Ch1, Xapan in Rhime and Almorica - pure awesome. Enemies have bigger numbers (12 vs 10 allies), higher ground, clever & difficult setup (undead / ninjaz). And moar.
More info:

How to make the game look pretty in PPSSPP.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom