Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of Maj'Eyal

xuerebx

Erudite
Definitely one of the more interesting games I've ever played. I generally get bored of a game around 40-50 hours, but I'm 90 hours in and replaying the same bits over and over using different characters :D

I decided to try out a skeleton archer. At 2 hours 30 min in, I've defeated everything I can except for the Master, Urkul and the Grand Corrupter. I killed the lake nur boss without it getting 1 hit on me! This will probably get to my head and I'm obliterated by one of the 3 remaining bosses lol.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Yeah this game is a fucking riot. I also discovered it about two weeks ago ; couldn't get off of it trying out the different classes and such. I know this is a 1000h+ entreprise, probably too much for me to be honest. It's a vicious one to be sure. Great design ideas, but ultimately frustrating, even if it is part of the fun. You see on the database that some guys are regularly beating the game on Insane roguelike ; that is some superhuman accomplishment (or subhuman, whatever you prefer).

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
some guys are regularly beating the game on Insane roguelike
assuming not cheating is involved, I cant even imagine being able to stay focused all the time. After all I did lost most of my characters while playing on autopilot drunk and/or watching movie/codex

xuerebx

Erudite
Yeah, I'll never be that good. One part due to the time investment required and another because, whilst I do use tips/guides to optimise, I don't want to min/max just for the sake of winning. Plus coming up with your own combos is fun! Even if less than ideal.

xuerebx

Erudite
Fuck, skeleton archer is fucking powerful. Strongest character I've ran so far! Still, temporal warden is more fun to play but this meatless assortment of bones kills everything in 1-2 shots, except for bosses which still die before they get close most of the time.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of strong characters, my stone warden one shotted lake of nur boss the moment it run out of bone shields.
Who knew that discarding a weapon for a second shield increases your offensive capabilities this much. Feels somewhat fragile though.

Sperrin

Novice
While insane is harder especially in the earlier levels, since most floors tend to have 2-3 unique units (brown) or bosses (orange) and tons of rares (pink) you end of drowning in orange randarts since bosses and uniques always drop one which does make your character substantially more powerful and also quite a bit richer so you can gamble with the merchant or the re rolling thing for even more overpowered gear.

I'm not a great player and tend to die tons only have 3 insane adventurer wins with some of the overpowered classes but insane makes the game substantially more fun and loot much much better really recommend giving it a try, it also makes the early dungeons far less monotonous if you have played through them a couple of times.

Sperrin

Novice
gamble with the merchant or the re rolling thing for even more overpowered gear.
huh?
There is an event on the world map when you are level 17+ (I think) where you get an opportunity to enter some tunnels if you do you meet the assassin lord and the merchant, if you save the merchant he has a shop in Last Hope and when you return to the west after getting to the east he sells excellent random orange artifacts for 4000 gold each, or if you side with the assassin lord you get access to something which lets you re roll egos on your gear for gold as well. Pretty sure the assassin one is part of the forbidden cults DLC so if you don't have that the option may not come up.

xuerebx

Erudite
Yes I've unlocked the merchant but never can afford his stuff...before I end up dying.

Another update on the skeleton archer - DESTROYED THE MASTER EASILY! And the Grand Corrupter. And Urkhul. Fuck didn't think this build would be this strong. Did this in 5 hours and haven't died once yet - hope I don't jinx myself. Would like to get my first win with this build.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Jakuri Rubybrand the Stone Warden succumbed to carelessness in the Dark Crypt. One would be wise not to forget the bullshit that is the dark crypt.
Failed at this Irresistible Sun prodigy+Stone halves combo 'cause i can't read and missed the requirement of certain amount of light/fire damage dealt. Oh, well...

I find it very amusing that dwarf with two shields who combines forces of magic and nature is actually a glass cannon with a great oneshot potential.
Edit:
Another update on the skeleton archer - DESTROYED THE MASTER EASILY! And the Grand Corrupter. And Urkhul. Fuck didn't think this build would be this strong. Did this in 5 hours and haven't died once yet - hope I don't jinx myself. Would like to get my first win with this build.
I suddenly recall the time when skeleton archer used to be a very infamous mob.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Jakuri Rubybrand the Stone Warden succumbed to carelessness in the Dark Crypt. One would be wise not to forget the bullshit that is the dark crypt.
My favorite character ever, a level 40 something Ogre Sun Paladin, got wiped out so fast there I didn't even know what happened. Suddenly I had like 10% health. Tried to blink away and ded. Looked it up afterwords and I have officially decided to not do that bullshit again.

notpl

Arbiter
My favorite character ever, a level 40 something Ogre Sun Paladin, got wiped out so fast there I didn't even know what happened. Suddenly I had like 10% health. Tried to blink away and ded. Looked it up afterwords and I have officially decided to not do that bullshit again.
On the bright side, when you play a corruptor, you get to do that to the enemies.

jungl

Augur
roguelikes are fun but overrated. Brain is in autopilot 90% of the time in them not worth the time investment.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
roguelikes are fun but overrated. Brain is in autopilot 90% of the time in them not worth the time investment.
Pretty sure this is why I usually start them up, play awhile, then put them down for more focused experiences. It's sort of like Twinkies. Every 5 or so years, I convince myself that they seem like they'd be so good and I can't quite remember what they're like, so I go and get one and then regret it and remember why I stopped looking at them in the first place. :lol:

notpl

Arbiter
What game do you play where you are giving it one hundred percent of your effort and attention at all times? That sounds exhausting. Games are supposed to have peaks and valleys, like any other piece of media. Would you enjoy an aria where the singer is just belting a high C for 4 minutes?

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
What difficulty do people tend to play on?

I haven't played TOME in years. This has really been making me want to get back into it... so many games, so little time! Urgghh...:negative:

Post your profile's clears list! (Mine is vapid and unnoteworthy. u_u)

That problem was part of how I got into roguelikes; at a particularly busy point in life, being able to save/tab out after five minutes was an underappreciated perk.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

I haven't played TOME in years. This has really been making me want to get back into it... so many games, so little time! Urgghh...:negative:

Post your profile's clears list! (Mine is vapid and unnoteworthy. u_u)

That problem was part of how I got into roguelikes; at a particularly busy point in life, being able to save/tab out after five minutes was an underappreciated perk.

That's very flattering. I don't think I've ever beaten any roguelike. I tend to tool around with them for however long I feel like it and then move on to something else. They're the sort of subgenre where I dip my toe in and then go back to my more true loves such as dungeon crawlers or Souls-likes. Sometimes strategy or MMOs, but I try to do that sparingly, since I can't often afford to throw thousands more hours of my life down the drain. Actually, this is probably the same thing that keeps me from getting too into roguelikes.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd say nightmare is a good middle-ground once you've beaten normal once. On insane, you have to start doing the cheesy stuff, like zigzag digging. Madness is bonkers and requires specific builds if not outright classes.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
That's very flattering. I don't think I've ever beaten any roguelike. I tend to tool around with them for however long I feel like it and then move on to something else.
Haha, fair enough >_> I haven't got anywhere close to that with ToME yet. Almost beat Jupiter Hell not so long ago, but I got overconfident right at the very end and died stupidly. A much deserved end.

They're the sort of subgenre where I dip my toe in and then go back to my more true loves such as dungeon crawlers or Souls-likes. Sometimes strategy or MMOs, but I try to do that sparingly, since I can't often afford to throw thousands more hours of my life down the drain. Actually, this is probably the same thing that keeps me from getting too into roguelikes.
Yeah, I know what you mean; there's a ton of cRPGs I have on my list, but I like to play them in as few sittings as possible, or else I lose track of my character and how she thinks and feels about everything. Roguelikes are just really excellent for RPG style gameplay without needing to commit a big stretch of free time to them.

That said, I do like that ToME isn't afraid to have writing and story elements to it. Nice to have that aspect in others like Cogmind or Tangledeep as well.

I'd say nightmare is a good middle-ground once you've beaten normal once. On insane, you have to start doing the cheesy stuff, like zigzag digging. Madness is bonkers and requires specific builds if not outright classes.
Helpful to know, thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom