Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of Maj'Eyal

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
– Get a teleport rune if you don't already have one

Blink rune you mean?

Oh damn, yes, good catch. Sorry, should have checked what I wrote before pressing 'reply'.

/e: while I'm here, what would you guys say is your favorite race/class combination? I'm gonna start another character in a week or so, and am looking for ideas.
Hard choice, so many good options.
I recall having the most fun with the reworked rogue last time i played.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
rogue with arcane trickery is fun. Pair it with traps, poisons and some limited knife throwing for 'trickster' build. Addition of knife throwing changed everything, they are basically ranged melee attack

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I have this strange obsession with Higher Human - Spellblade. Trying so hard to win this one but always kinda failed.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Addition of knife throwing changed everything, they are basically ranged melee attack
A ranged attack against which disarm doesn't work i must add.
I played as a skeleton rogue to be exact. Skeleton features my least favourite racials to be honest and the highest XP penalty is just blegh, the only race that i pick for pure meme reasons.
This combination does give you an access to a certain named shirt made of human skin that screams and gives you penalty to stealth unless wearer is undead. Shame that stealth tree kinda sucks.

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Someone dared to dissagree with me
:baka:
I still stand by my opinion about skeletons,

luj1.​

Sure, all skeleton abilities are straightforward and useful, 5/5 points into each talent no brain. But that's the exact thing i hate about them. There is no reason to pick skeleton and NOT put 5 points into each racial. i hate it!

All this talk about the game made want to play it again.

notpl

Arbiter
Addition of knife throwing changed everything, they are basically ranged melee attack
A ranged attack against which disarm doesn't work i must add.
I played as a skeleton rogue to be exact. Skeleton features my least favourite racials to be honest and the highest XP penalty is just blegh, the only race that i pick for pure meme reasons.
This combination does give you an access to a certain named shirt made of human skin that screams and gives you penalty to stealth unless wearer is undead. Shame that stealth tree kinda sucks.
I understand saying skeleton has your "least-favorite" (not going to spell it that way, sorry, we fought that war for a reason) racials, since second-strongest-after-shalore doesn't necessarily mean you have to like them, but saying stealth sucks? Good lord have you ever even really played a rogue?

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
My memories are vague, but i recall people talking about stealth tree not being vey useful considering how common the crowds of enemies are in this game and trying it in practice didn't prove them wrong.
Did i use it wrong or they changed it while i was away?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
My memories are vague, but i recall people talking about stealth tree not being vey useful considering how common the crowds of enemies are in this game and trying it in practice didn't prove them wrong.
Did i use it wrong or they changed it while i was away?
stealth tree becomes worse on higher difficulties. On normal is awesome since you can do most of the actions at range without breaking it.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Just took a stealth based rogue for a little spin.
Yeah, i have a brain rot. Stealth tree isn't that bad.

xuerebx

Erudite
FUCK YEAHHH!!!!!!

Had 2 lives left - went against the Grand Corrupter. He cut me a deal and we went to Zigur. Killed the town's inhabitants, then I killed him!

Went to Dreadfall, got killed by a fucking skeleton. Then got killed by the Master. No lives left and I tried a hit and run approach. Slowly but surely (must have been at least an hour?) I KILLED THE MASTER!

Level 31, unlocked the
Wanderer, Skeleton, Reaver, Corrupter, Ogre

on this playthrough. I'll probably die soon since I have no lives left, but very happy with this run using a Temporal Warden.

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Congrats on beating master
I see you unlocked a bunch of options, a sign of the worthwhile run.
Level 31, unlocked the Wanderer, Skeleton, Reaver, Corrupter, Ogre on this playthrough. I'll probably die soon since I have no lives left, but very happy with this run using a Temporal Warden.
:x
My absolutely objective feelings aside, a good race. Very straightforward talents.
A now that you unlocked the murder wizard you too can learn the joy of bringing your friends to hell.

xuerebx

Erudite
:D

You mean the "C" class right? I spoilered my post (thanks for the heads up)

notpl

Arbiter
I remember when I unlocked corruptor I immediately won two of them in a row. Hellishly powerful class, pun intended.

Dhaze

Cipher
... got killed by the Master. No lives left and I tried a hit and run approach. Slowly but surely (must have been at least an hour?) I KILLED THE MASTER!

Rejoice! for once again victory over The Master is achieved via the ancestral and most honorable technique known as poke 'im to death. Glad you're having fun.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's generally considered that the game becomes easier after killing the Master, so you shouldn't have much problems after that. A few caveats, however. I'm almost done with my necromancer playthrough and I've died only twice (once to get lich form and once in a vault). The "legit" death was in a vault in the East, which is one of the caveats. Optional content in the East is hellish, vaults become gauntlets you almost can't escape from, the infamous Vor armory room exists, sludge tunnels are a whole mess if you go for the achievement(s), the optional areas like the underwater temple and moon lake aren't exactly easy, etc. So I suggest just beelining the main plot if you want to complete the game, with the exception of the backup guardians when you go back to the West. They are easy and fast, but drop good items. Since you'll be max level pretty soon after going to the East, there isn't all that much of an incentive to complete optional areas unless you want the unlocks. The items you get are a bit pointless imo because you are already quite powerful. Yeah, you can get some pretty crazy good items and I'm not saying it's not fun playing around with them, just that if you want to kill the last boss it's safer to avoid the optional content. Even though Necromancer is grotesquely overpowered, I still won't go do the optional content in this playthrough because the weaknesses of the class (lack of mobility, lack of survivability cooldowns, loss of 90% of your power when your minions die if you are minion-based, tight corridors) don't give me hope, let me tell you. I think you can go do the unlocks after you complete the game anyway, though? But yeah, the East has the tendency to make you overestimate your character and boldly go into every danger imaginable, so don't fall into that trap ;d

Oh, and the orc prides are boring compared to the entire rest of the game. They are too long and samey, with basically nothing in them that can considerably threaten you. If I were to mod the game, I'd remove 2 of them. The believablilty of the story also suffers because of them. The paladin chick in the gates of mourning tells you they've fought the prides for years, if not more, but you stroll in there and massacre the entire orc population on your own. Everything before that is pretty par for the course for an RPG adventurer, necromancers in old towers, rabid animals in a forest, clearing out caves, etc.

Last edited:

xuerebx

Erudite
Thanks for the tips! With zero lives left I will try to aim in completing just the main quest, if I manage to live through it. Then I'll tackle the optional content later (either with the same character if I can continue playing after beating the final boss, or with a new character).

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Things indeed quickly turn to boring once you're strong enough to steamroll almost everything the game throws at you.
There is a rather beginner friendly class you can unlock early in the far east.

Dhaze

Cipher
Then I'll tackle the optional content later (either with the same character if I can continue playing after beating the final boss, or with a new character).

Yes, you can keep playing with the same character after beating the big baddie.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Just won as a necromancer on Nightmare - https://te4.org/characters/251169/tome/84f8ca5c-4578-4f58-bf50-a122c3def6a7

I died once in the last battle, it's always very chaotic and I'm never sure what I should be doing, lol. This was by far my easiest playthrough and necro is stupidly powerful, almost impossible to kill. I went with a minion build, but it wasn't my favorite playstyle. If I were to ever make a necro agian, I'm going with a more caster-oriented build.

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Yep, i really miss the time when everything felt new in the game and i didn't have everything unlocked.
Has anyone heard any news about that lost land dlc?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Lacrymas prides are in general really hard for my rogue characters. To me master was easy, death were coming in prides with casters attacking you off the screen even when you are sneaking and having no means of escaping

Lacrymas

Arcane
Lacrymas prides are in general really hard for my rogue characters. To me master was easy, death were coming in prides with casters attacking you off the screen even when you are sneaking and having no means of escaping
I've never played any rogue classes, but I'm planning my next playthrough to be with a Shadowblade, so I'll see how that goes. What can be dangerous in the prides is casters teleporting you around and forcing you into a bad position, so that's probably scary for rogues.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Necro is one of the most complicated classes to unlock, so gj. Not only because of RNG but also because you can't randomly stumble upon the unlock like many of the others by simply exploring optional zones or doing damage.

xuerebx

Erudite
Yeah I was lucky I guess, finding 3 out of 4 in the same playthrough. Actually might have found all 4 but the 2nd note I had already found on my previous character.

For my next character I'm eager to try out Corrupter and Necro, and maybe use a Yeek, Skeleton or Ogre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom