Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter TaleSpire - Digital Role-playing System

Modron

Arcane
Fug that transition to underwater was unexpected and cool.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page:

Why Early Access?
“TaleSpire has already benefited hugely from the feedback of the community, and this is something we seek to continue. While we have a strong vision for where we want to take the game, we want to keep this dialog going so we can continue to make something that is honed to the needs of real players.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“We foresee the game being in Early Access for up to a year after the initial version release. This will give us ample time to deliver on our roadmap from the Kickstarter as well as giving time for player feedback to shape the game throughout the Early Access process.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“The Early Access version will contain the base set of features we envision for TaleSpire. Between the Early-Access release and the full release, we aim to fill in the Medieval-Fantasy collection of content as well as work with the community to finalize stretch-goals and some other features to deepen the roleplaying experience.

Development of TaleSpire will continue past the full release, but it will mark what we consider a complete set of features.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“The current version allows players to collaboratively build their worlds, taking command of atmosphere, music, and time of day. They can take on the mantle of multiple heroes and creatures, managing their basic stats and expressing themselves through the growing emote system.

GMs have a specialized mode at their disposal for managing things not yet for player's eyes; wielding cutscene mode and the initiative tracker to keep order during encounters.

All this takes place in persistent online boards, which can be created at a moment's notice. All of this is created and synchronized in real-time as you battle and dice-roll your way to glory.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“The plan is to keep the price the same both during and beyond the Early Access period.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“There are many avenues for feedback with TaleSpire. On our Discord, we have places to give feedback on the game, a channel for feature requests and suggestions, and channels for sharing content made within the game. We have a public bug-tracker where people can report issues they find and get direct feedback as we fix the problem.

There are also indirect ways that people can be involved. Just by people streaming the game, we have been able to get great insights into how people are playing, and this has guided the development of many current and ongoing features.

TaleSpire will be evolving a lot, and we would love to know where the community wants to take it.”

ADL

Prophet
I got my key and it's pretty nice. Convincing others to buy in will always suck but I think it's worth it from what I've seen so far. My friend who I'm gonna build a bunch of tilesets with is at work so we'll see how the collaborative building works later on.

I really want to use this. But the real struggle is getting my (non-existent) friends to spend the money to buy the game. I had that same struggle with Tabletop Simulator. But with that game. A community was slowly built around it and now I have no issue finding people to play Warhammer with.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I really want to use this. But the real struggle is getting my (non-existent) friends to spend the money to buy the game. I had that same struggle with Tabletop Simulator. But with that game. A community was slowly built around it and now I have no issue finding people to play Warhammer with.
I bought a 4-pack when TTS was on sale a year or two ago and I just have not mustered the courage to try to get something together on it. I don't know why.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I tried TTS recently. Really not a fan of the controls. I guess it's ok when playing certain games that already have good mod/model packs out there, but even then the pacing still feels clunky. I wish there was a ready-made macro or function that lets you roll dice on a single click rather than having to wank your mouse.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I tried TTS recently. Really not a fan of the controls. I guess it's ok when playing certain games that already have good mod/model packs out there, but even then the pacing still feels clunky. I wish there was a ready-made macro or function that lets you roll dice on a single click rather than having to wank your mouse.
There is, think it was like r or something.

Bara

Arcane
April 14 is early access release date

Early Access Release Date and Pricing
418f909f408d38c8591d26d4e8cb8a57abd54fd3.png

We're at a point with the Chimera build that we're comfortable announcing the TaleSpire Early Access release date. The date is the
14th of April 2021
and will be made available for purchase on Steam for
25USD(24.99)
(with regional pricing as per Steam's standard conversion)

The plan is to get the Chimera-build out to all out Kickstarter backers on the 31st of March. Us having two weeks before the Early Access release will allow us to test some of the more critical systems with more people to make sure it is ready for new players to enter the boards.

Once the Early Access is out, we will continue with the regular update schedule with new miniatures, tiles, props, and features. These will be separate from hotfix patches as they're likely to be frequent during the first few weeks post-release.

We're also going to start work on finishing Kickstarter-specific rewards once the Early Access bug swapping pressure is off. So expect to hear more about those in the coming months.

Thank you for all your support in making TaleSpire a reality!

Best regards,
The Bouncyrock Team

I want to like this but I know I won't be able to find a group willing to all pay for it. Oh well. Back to shit like Roll20 which I despise but is also free.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Just bought it on Steam. It shows a lot of potential, but at the moment it's still quite barebones (after all it's just released on EA), thus I would advise a wait-and-see even if you urgently need an alternative to existing VTT solutions.

Pros:
+ It's really easy to use for the most part. UI is very intuitive (mostly, more on this later). You can build a map in just a few minutes.
+ You can literally copy and paste entire segments from the web into the game's tabletop. I'm not kidding. You don't even have to download anything.
+ There are a number of commonly used models included in EA.
+ Modding community already looks pretty big, and will likely continue to grow.

Cons:
- In terms of keeping track of stats etc, it's still very barebones. You will still need your character sheet on hand. Plus, it only supports dice rolling atm so if your system needs tokens or cards, you'll need an alternative solution.
- While I mentioned the UI is intuitive, there are some QoL features that are still missing. You can't group select miniatures, for instance. Furthermore, it gets a bit weird managing the GM overlay, Build mode, Turn-Based mode, etc.
- There are only two attack animations right now (Attack and Magic Missile).
- I kept struggling with the camera on certain slabs/maps. This was a major deal breaker for me. Flat maps or maps with clearly demarcated storeys are fine, but if you're doing deep delving maps with lots of details, it gets really annoying.

I hope this works out eventually. It really is a good idea and the price point is just right. I'll refund it for now but will continue to keep an eye on it.

PrettyDeadman

Press R.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom