Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Team Fagtress 2 has gone full derp

Destroid

Arcane
Well, I hope they don't go all Jewish with Portal 2.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I can see them doing just that.

"You have reached the end of Portal 2. To see the awesome end sequence, please insert $4.99 to continue."

That should be the new slogan for Steam - "Insert Coin".

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah the new update is pretty laughable. Forcing people to buy keys because the old ones won't work, mediocre/bad new 'mode,' etc. etc. And, as you pointed out, pyros who happen to have that healing jackhammer are stronger than most other classes on that map. Little balance to it at all... never mind the map specific items. I was hoping for a Christmas map or something similar to Halloween rather than just a straight up money grab.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Hoisting larping upon an already pretty gratuitous class based FPS at that, why don't they just go full monthly fee with TF: MMOAR?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, lag compensation makes melee only a pretty pathetic affair, then everyone switches to spamsman and then everyone quits. New map is also shit. I did have a fun time collecting 37 heads as a demoknight.

Multi-headed Cow

The Christmas keys thing did indeed bum me out. I was thinking "Oh cool, Christmas crates! And they expire on the new year! I bet during/after Christmas you can open them for goodies!" only to find yeah, you CAN open them around then, but you have to spend money for it.

I'll probably try trading away the few I've got since they seem to be trading for more than the average crate since they're much more likely to contain a hat. Got 5 of 'em, might see if I can get a hat for the set of 5 and if not, at least a refined maybe.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The game is saturated in hats now, too, and the trading just made things a thousand times more retarded. I click on some dude's backpack linked on the forums and he's got like twenty hats, a dozen dueling mini-games, ten different cans of paint, etc. etc. I guess there are some people that are just crazy dedicated to TF2 and trading. I can't be bothered to spend all the time doing that.

You can probably get a hat for them as most non-vintage hats go for two refined at most and usually only one refined. They're borderline worthless now. If you manage to get Team Spirit and the new pink paints I'll overpay you for them. As I said before, I fucking hate trading.

attackfighter

Magister
I got pink paint, it's gonna cost you BIG though

also my carousers capotain looks really cool all of the sudden, and I appear to have gained 4 dueling mini games...

SoupNazi

I used to really like TF2, I didn't care about the hats but it was bearable. However right now it seems that just to gain an edge or be able to keep up with other players I have to constantly check out every update and study all materials and buy new weapons and items and shit. I don't want to do that, TF2 used to be a game I could play whenever I wanted and I didn't need a 2 hour battle plan and study materials.

attackfighter

Magister
not to mention so many of the new items are imba, or just stupid

the saharan spy thingy and huntsman are prime examples

Quilty

Magister
attackfighter said:

Why do you say that? I was thinking about trying to collect the saharan spy kit.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The Saharan Spy Kit: The pistol sucks, the knife is a sidegrade that just needs to get used to, and the hat from the bonus is OP if combined with the Dead Ringer... which is what everybody does that use the new knife, of course.

At least it's better than the Demoman set. Your primary fires grenades (from a cartridge of 2) that only explode if they hit the enemy, otherwise they're duds. Seriously, what little bonuses the new grenade launcher gives are nothing compared to how sucky this weapon is, plus that the normal grenade launcher does the job 3 times better in all regards. The melee weapon is a grenade on a stick, and except for a few laughs it's not really that useful. And the set bonus gives the Demoman 10% fire resistance.

It doesn't just suck, it's an insult. Doubly so when the other new weapon for the Demoman (another sword, whoopee) is the worst melee weapon available to him.

Quilty

Magister
Yeah, the whole idea of the pistol that recharges your stealth on hit sounds kinda counter-intuitive. How are you going to get a chance to fire upon someone and still get away with it long enough to cloak and hide? Unless you camp somewhere, I suppose. I dunno, I like my old spy watch, the one that recharges stealth even while cloaked, I don't remember the name.

SoupNazi

I still think the original equipment for the Spy was best. I eventually had to turn to Cloak&Dagger (the one that recharges when you don't move, even if it's turned on) because the game seemed to move on and my old spy tricks no longer worked, but my longest spy kill streaks were when I was forced to be more dynamic and thoughtful. Right now, spy is mostly played as a campfaggot that waits in a corner, constantly cloaked - only to uncloak and stab when a victim runs out of a tunnel or something, then quickly cloak and back to the corner. Occasionally switch corners if you stabbed a pyro or something.

attackfighter

Magister
Quilty said:
attackfighter said:

Why do you say that? I was thinking about trying to collect the saharan spy kit.

I'm not sure I'd call it OP, but it's super fucking annoying with the dead ringer. Dead ringers are already hard to kill, losing the decloak sound gets rid of their main weakness and makes them so much harder. One caveat is that spies are fairly weak and useless, so while they're annoying they don't really effect the game a whole lot (unless you're playing on a moron team and the spy gets a bazillion kills).

I still think the original equipment for the Spy was best. I eventually had to turn to Cloak&Dagger (the one that recharges when you don't move, even if it's turned on) because the game seemed to move on and my old spy tricks no longer worked, but my longest spy kill streaks were when I was forced to be more dynamic and thoughtful. Right now, spy is mostly played as a campfaggot that waits in a corner, constantly cloaked - only to uncloak and stab when a victim runs out of a tunnel or something, then quickly cloak and back to the corner. Occasionally switch corners if you stabbed a pyro or something.

Being good with spy is about knowing the map and constantly moving around. Problem w/ spy is that while you can stay alive forever, you don't kill as efficiently as other classes do. Dead Ringer lets you be riskier and thus net kills faster, which is what spy needs to do to be useful. Default watch is alright, but against a team that knows how to watch their back's you're going to get gibbed a lot. CnD is like the default watch but worse, it's only good for camping and it will barely get you any kills at all (unless you use it like the default watch, but in that case it's just a complete downgrade).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I use Dead Ringer pretty much exclusively and disguise as a friendly, rush in, get killed, come out of cloak behind enemy disguised as them and have at it. 99% of the time I'm sapping things rather than going for backstabs. Unless you're backstabbing a medic or just insanely good enough to be able to backstab half the team then you're better off sapping stuff.

attackfighter

Magister
Eh, I actually find sapping to be rather hard and fruitless. The Engy has a huge advantage, cause his teammates are usually spawning nearby and his sentry makes losing your disguise a huge risk. I only sap sentries under ideal conditions, such as the engy being low on health or far away, or if my teammates are already attacking it.

As spy I generally try to get behind enemy lines and harass/spawncamp as they come out of spawn. You can get quite a few kills that way and even if they catch on, you can still make them waste their time chasing you around away from the front (in fact, most of my kills are usually from peppering people with my pistol as they fruitlessly chase me). The only times I die doing this are when I get unlucky or if some scout decides to hunt me down, otherwise you can just evade everyone, even pyros, and kill/harass as the opportunity arises.

All of this w/ Dead Ringer of course.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
This was the only Team Fortress for me:
half_life_team_fortress_1.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
attackfighter said:
Eh, I actually find sapping to be rather hard and fruitless. The Engy has a huge advantage, cause his teammates are usually spawning nearby and his sentry makes losing your disguise a huge risk. I only sap sentries under ideal conditions, such as the engy being low on health or far away, or if my teammates are already attacking it.

That's true, however, it works best if you can coordinate a sap to go along with a push from your teammates -- they can take out the guns while they're nonfunctional. Of course, getting people to do that is a challenge in-and-of-itself.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Saharan spy says it lowers the sound of decloaking, but for dead ringer it pretty much removes the sound completely. Really changes the way you can play. The chainstabs you can get with Eternal Reward are ridiculous. I sorta feel bad that it takes all the skill out of a stab n sap, but fuck it, they're engies, I might care if any had any balls. The gun is total shit though, no accuracy and no damage.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Eternal Reward is actually THE best weapon to get rid of Engies and their stuff. Just backstab some poor sod first to get a disguise, then it's really as easy as just backstabbing the Engie and then sapping all his stuff. The Sentry will never notice that you're a Spy, and far too often the opposing team won't notice it either until it's too late.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Unkillable Cat said:
Eternal Reward is actually THE best weapon to get rid of Engies and their stuff. Just backstab some poor sod first to get a disguise, then it's really as easy as just backstabbing the Engie and then sapping all his stuff. The Sentry will never notice that you're a Spy, and far too often the opposing team won't notice it either until it's too late.

And they can rarely do anything anyway because so few pyros carry the homewrecker to knock the sappers off.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The Homewrecker is one of the coolest ideas for a weapon in TF2, but its primary feature (2x damage against buildings) is completely useless because Sentries push you away when they're firing, and whipping out the Homewrecker to smash a teleporter/dispenser is actually slower than just burning the building. It's the secondary feature to smash sappers that's the only reason people used it... before the new Pyro melee weapons appeared and made it obsolete.

Valve need to go back and look at some of the weapons currently in TF2 because they're absolutely useless, or have only 1 redeeming feature that comes at too high a price. The Homewrecker, the Razorback, Darwin's Danger Shield, the Dalokosh Bar, the new Demoman sword with the Welsh name, these all suck. They're clogging up the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom