Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Team Ninja's Rise of the Ronin

Spike

Educated
Man, uh oh. I'm an optimistic combatfag too and this even has me a little concerned. I will wait for PC and we will know by then, but I will probably grab it regardless because as long as the combat is fun, even if it is a bit simple, I'm a pretty big TN fan in general and trust them. I had no idea they split up to make Wo Long as well as RotR. Maybe they shouldn't do that in future? Who knows, it was definitely an experiment.

911 Jumper

Educated
The more I see and read about this game, the more inclined I am to believe that this is another Team Ninja “Japanese Hamburger” – a Japanese game that tries to appeal to the West but stumbles (the term was originally used to describe the vanilla version of Ninja Gaiden 3).

I get the impression that in this instance, Team Ninja looked at games such as Assassin's Creed and RDR2 and decided to do their own interpretation of those games without properly evaluating whether they have tech and dev skills to handle such a game.

The proprietary engine they are using has been their platform since Nioh 1. I've read that even in the PS5's Performance Mode, RotR has an unstable framerate – it struggles to maintain 60fps and drops into the 40s. Cutscenes also exhibit judder.

It's embarrassing for Sony, to say the least. This is a PS5 exclusive, in other words a game built targeting a single platform spec. I'm surprised that they have allowed previews while the game is in this state.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Someone was strwaming this for five hours. Setting seems okay, not sure the gameplay is for me. Would have liked a demo.

cruel

Cipher
76 on Metactritic, based on 94 reviews. Pretty disappointing for a PS5 exclusive, no way this will be a hit for them. I'm actually happy that I canceled my preorder.

Wondering if someone's head will fall on Team Ninja side based on that. So many stupid decisions they made regarding that game:
- the biggest strength the company has (combat system) was dumbed down
- no supernatural enemies, limiting possible enemy variety
- following shitty Ubisoft formula for world design for no reason
- trying to create a story-heavy game while sucking at storytelling
- releasing same day as DD2

Just give me Nioh 3 some day, please.

911 Jumper

Educated
Memories of Ninja Gaiden 3 should have prevented them from going down the “Let's try to appeal to the West” path.

cruel

Cipher
It seems the game has some very impressive quest & objective design as well:
- defeat enemies (0/5)
- defeat formidable foes (0/2)
- collect wood (0/5)

Maybe they were using AI to create those, not people?

911 Jumper

Educated
This review's a bit more positive

The more I see, the more I think those saying it looks like a [native] last gen game are being charitable. It could pass for a remastered late gen PS3 game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The more I see, the more I think those saying it looks like a [native] last gen game are being charitable. It could pass for a remastered late gen PS3 game.

Looks on a level with Nioh except less shiny.

BTW, difficulty modes. Yuck, we are doing this now i guess. I pray FromSoft won't succumb too. Wonder if people complaining the combat is simplistic aren't playing at the easy setting.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Why does this game look like Tenchu: Birth of the Stealth Assassins?

By which I mean, it looks like it was made in 1998.

Turn_BASED

Educated
Based on 4chan posts the game seems to be very fun, makes me want to play it after DD2 slithered out of Itsuno’s ass.

If we don’t get a PC port by Allah strap me to a PS5 and fire me at Tel Aviv I am ready.

Spike

Educated
Based on 4chan posts the game seems to be very fun, makes me want to play it after DD2 slithered out of Itsuno’s ass.

If we don’t get a PC port by Allah strap me to a PS5 and fire me at Tel Aviv I am ready.
I knew it would be...Once again, the cantankerous dullards at the Codex never cease to overblow everything.

Jinn

Arcane
It's nice that apparently every enemy has a unique moveset. So while you're facing off with humans only, they managed to make them all feel fresh. I heard one reviewer say it strikes a balance between Nioh's and Wo Long's combat complexity, and that's not a terrible middleground to be in when it comes to action combat (I like Wo Long's combat well enough).

I'll likely check this out when it comes to PC. Hopefully get it as a GOTY type thing for $40 at some point.

Spike

Educated
It's nice that apparently every enemy has a unique moveset. So while you're facing off with humans only, they managed to make them all feel fresh. I heard one reviewer say it strikes a balance between Nioh's and Wo Long's combat complexity, and that's not a terrible middleground to be in when it comes to action combat (I like Wo Long's combat well enough).

I'll likely check this out when it comes to PC. Hopefully get it as a GOTY type thing for $40 at some point.
Thank God, praise be. Team Ninjer has not failed us yet.

I have no hopes for it being playable on my PC anyway, since I can't even run Wo Long at stable 60 fps. Their open world game is bound to run even worse. But maybe some years down the line I will be able to enjoy it. I don't mind their games not having top tier graphics, but why do they also have to run a lot worse than way better looking games from other studios? Annoying.

Suicidal

Arcane
I watched a stream of this game a bit and it did look better than in the previews and trailers. Guy was fighting a boss for like an hour and it looked fun and very Sekiro-like. Also the animations looked much more competent, which made me think the trailers were filmed at 20 FPS or something, so it seemed like half the animation frames were missing.

Looking forward to trying it when it's on PC.

Spike

Educated
I watched a stream of this game a bit and it did look better than in the previews and trailers. Guy was fighting a boss for like an hour and it looked fun and very Sekiro-like. Also the animations looked much more competent, which made me think the trailers were filmed at 20 FPS or something, so it seemed like half the animation frames were missing.

Looking forward to trying it when it's on PC.
"...very fun and Sekiro-like"
Ahh, that's the stuff. :kingcomrade:

ADL

Prophet
Been watching gameplay of this over the past couple days. Looks like it's definitely less focused than Ninja Gaiden Black, Nioh and Wo Long but there's only so many times you can play Ninja Gaiden Black, Nioh and Wo Long. A mediocre Team Ninja game is still comparatively better than 99.9% of all other games and I'm not a fan of making perfection the enemy of good.
:d1p:(on PC)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom