Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

BG1 is a master class in learning to cheese the infinity engine. Having only 6hp and kiting ogres like it's fucking starcraft is also an experience nobody should miss.

I never understood why kiting big enemies like ogres is considered "cheesing". They're slower than PCs but are deadly in melee range -- how should you fight them? Seems to me the intended and rational tactic is to kite them with ranged weapons.
Few reasons you could consider it cheesy:

1. BG AI and pathing combine to make kiting really OP. Enemies only "act" about once a round (I think this is due to how its scripted, so mods can change it but its true for normal enemies even in SCS), so every time you make a movement you have an average of half a round of time before the AI reacts and follows you. They also don't keep up well, and because they need to stop and wait for 2-3 seconds to actually take a swing and you can always immediately retreat out of melee range, they can never hit you.

2. For Ogres specifically it makes no sense that they'd be slow. Giant strong humans should be fast. at least as fast as unhasted PCs.

3. In D&D these tactics wouldn't work, you can't take a full round moving and then fire a ranged weapon. The Ogre would have twice your movement.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
2. For Ogres specifically it makes no sense that they'd be slow. Giant strong humans should be fast. at least as fast as unhasted PCs.

3. In D&D these tactics wouldn't work, you can't take a full round moving and then fire a ranged weapon. The Ogre would have twice your movement.
You are correct.
Even in the later 3E and 3.5 editions, there are giant humanoids and other big creatures which are deceptively fast comparative to their mass. It makes sense. Not only that, but they also have great reach.

Rosey

Novice
You can also abuse the targeting AI to make it follow who it's trying to hit while the rest of the team gets hits in. Watch for "Ogre attacks..." in the log, smack space bar, have the original target turn around like pacman and start microing the new target. Get a lot more mileage out of your hp. Not as safe but faster than range and you can just quickload the occasional mulching.

I think it adds some layer of fun to the game and its part of the reason why when people simp for RTwP they hold up the IE. Its jank but you can learn the jank and improve your ability at the game by mastering it. In newer titles you have AoO that kind of fucked this up to where it only makes sense to be turn based.

Just got through my first replay in awhile and i'm about to start Dragonspear for the first time.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The best way to deal with an Ogre is to hide in shadows and backstab him. If you can reach his back, this is.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

bloodlover

Arcane
I've always tried to cheese my way through games, whether it's BG2 or Gothic or Morrowind or anything that can give me an unfair advantage. It's part of the charm. :)

The Jester

Cipher
Baldur's Gate 2 portraits with StableDiffusion.

mfm2g0pmupoa1.jpg

q0i9uz5nupoa1.jpg

hfjarqwnupoa1.jpg

28baxmaoupoa1.jpg

6jc98lloupoa1.jpg

amdsgdyoupoa1.jpg

d465nn9pupoa1.jpg

ai4s9rlpupoa1.jpg

6tzfbzkh8wpa1.jpg

u4uuy8ej8wpa1.jpg

8osao0kl8wpa1.jpg

rqhhmnpm8wpa1.jpg

3n0ybpun8wpa1.jpg

tdynjkqo8wpa1.jpg

i3aaelop8wpa1.jpg

859tpgwq8wpa1.jpg
bukmlzzr8wpa1.jpg

Original reddit post

Last edited:

rojay

Scholar
It is absolutely hilarious that with all the power of AI they can still only draw one fucking nose per gender.

Modron

Arcane
They r all uncanny valley.
They mostly look fine to decent except for the elfs because Stable Diffusion rightly hates them. Yoshimo is messed up because it probably hasn't been fed a lot of filipinos/indonesians in fantasy costumery.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is this the future?. What a complete fucking disaster. Good if you're into this sort of thing:

20180103-sexdolls-1416153213.jpg

Also interesting that AI makes anyone with a hint of skin tone black. And Viconia looks like an octopus jizzed its ink all over her face.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Im close to the end of my insane double damage SCS bg1ee run, I left imoen on the street in baldurs gate and an npc spawned on top of her, she's stuck, any solutions?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom