Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
So I am in Chapter 6 and
I was arrested and accused just because Koveras, a random guy that just arrived in town said I did something? Everyone's known me since I was a kid and everyone knows that Gorion was a bro but they believe some random suspicious new guy?
Am I missing something here or this is just lazy writing?

Korevas earned their trust by appearing to be a learned sage. He recited the prophecies of the great Alaundo by heart. He's also introduced as Rieltar's son and he claims he sees you flee the scene of his father's murder and that you have a shadow thief assassin ring made from gold minted in Amn.

You left town and your foster father was mysteriously murdered then you reappear like a year later with a group of what looks to be adventuring mercenaries or possibly assasins when tensions with Amn are high.

Then the Iron Throne leaders end up dead, there's a reasonable suspicion you could be in the employ of Amn though some at Candle keep believe in your innocence.

I always felt like the story/writing of the BG games was adequate maybe not great but I don't know if any crpgs have great writing, maybe planescape but it's debatable.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
How does the original portrait convey depression?
The posture and facial expression would have been clearer with a side-view:
lennox10.jpg
Feels bad man
sad_frog.jpg
ps9k1r.png

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I am in Chapter 6 and
I was arrested and accused just because Koveras, a random guy that just arrived in town said I did something? Everyone's known me since I was a kid and everyone knows that Gorion was a bro but they believe some random suspicious new guy?

Korevas earned their trust by appearing to be a learned sage. He recited the prophecies of the great Alaundo by heart. He's also introduced as Rieltar's son and he claims he sees you flee the scene of his father's murder and that you have a shadow thief assassin ring made from gold minted in Amn.

You left town and your foster father was mysteriously murdered then you reappear like a year later with a group of what looks to be adventuring mercenaries or possibly assasins when tensions with Amn are high.

Then the Iron Throne leaders end up dead, there's a reasonable suspicion you could be in the employ of Amn though some at Candle keep believe in your innocence.

I always felt like the story/writing of the BG games was adequate maybe not great but I don't know if any crpgs have great writing, maybe planescape but it's debatable.

bloodlover Also there was this thing called a manual once upon a time, and they fantastically wrote character summaries for most of the named characters in the story, including the "Old Buzzard".

bloodlover

Arcane
So I am in Chapter 6 and

Oh I am aware of how it happened. It's especially obvious because:

1) As soon as I entered the library I was told of this suspicious fella name Korevas
2) Koveras actually INSISTED that I get the ring when I met him, even though I declined like three times.

I guess it was just too much in your face and it made the "twist" very obvious; maybe I was expecting too much from the narrative of a game made in 1998. The writing is your average fantasy adventure so not much to complain there.

Leaving that aside, I have reached the fabled Durlag Tower. I only did the first level of the cellars but so far it has very nice design and puzzles and I understand the praise for it. Companions also reached some nice spikes and Imoen is a good disarm traps bot at last; too bad I can't take her char with me in BG2. Oh well.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
So I am in Chapter 6 and

1) As soon as I entered the library I was told of this suspicious fella name Korevas
2) Koveras actually INSISTED that I get the ring when I met him, even though I declined like three times.

I guess it was just too much in your face and it made the "twist" very obvious; maybe I was expecting too much from the narrative of a game made in 1998. The writing is your average fantasy adventure so not much to complain there.

Leaving that aside, I have reached the fabled Durlag Tower. I only did the first level of the cellars but so far it has very nice design and puzzles and I understand the praise for it. Companions also reached some nice spikes and Imoen is a good disarm traps bot at last; too bad I can't take her char with me in BG2. Oh well.

Different sentiment from your previous post but ok. Yeah, it's pretty in your face foreshadowing. What games do you think have good writing?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So I am in Chapter 6 and

Why not take her also in BG2? She is one of the best companions in the game.

Gargaune

Arcane
That's just a bit of dodgy narrative design on BioWare, I mean seriously, what harm's ever come from accepting a magic ring from a mysterious stranger? The only reply options should be "Please and thank you!" or "Can you give me two?"

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
You could drop the ring, but the writers basically goes "but you are guilty anyway".

gamerguy

Educated
Does anyone remember if the AI options for the first game were the same as the second?

I played a lot of these games back in the day, and remember not liking the list of character types Icewind Dale utilized for AI options instead... but as I toy around in the EE, I can't remember if the first game originally had the same AI options as the second BG.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Pure Cleric for BG EE or Cleric/Mage - Cleric/Thief and why?
Pure Cleric ain't that great. You don't have many attacks per round.
Cleric/Mage gives you a wide selection of spells, but you probably won't excel in either arcane or divine spells.
Honestly, go with Fighter/Cleric. Lets you achieve grandmastery with blunt weapons and you get better HP and Thac0.
Are you talking only Baldur's Gate or do you plan on continuing to Shadows of Amn?

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Cleric/Mage gives you a wide selection of spells, but you probably won't excel in either arcane or divine spells.
Honestly, go with Fighter/Cleric. Lets you achieve grandmastery with blunt weapons and you get better HP and Thac0.
Are you talking only Baldur's Gate or do you plan on continuing to Shadows of Amn?
Starting with Baldur's gate for now since I doubt I will have time for SOA for a long while.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Starting with Baldur's gate for now since I doubt I will have time for SOA for a long while.
I see.
If you go with Pure Cleric, you will still need a dedicated Fighter on the frontline. Fighter/Cleric dual is really good, as I said. You will also absolutely need a Thief who can find and disarm traps, as there are some really, really deadly traps spread throughout the game.

gamerguy

Educated
backstab is kinda useless unless you are a solo character, but good utility to disarm traps and open chests

i usually cleric/thief

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I see.
If you go with Pure Cleric, you will still need a dedicated Fighter on the frontline. Fighter/Cleric dual is really good, as I said. You will also absolutely need a Thief who can find and disarm traps, as there are some really, really deadly traps spread throughout the game.
One of the reasons I was think of Cleric/Thief is because of dual classing Imoen at level 7 into a mage would leave me without a Thief, which from pass experience is suicide. But I could keep her pure since BG 2 will change her anyway.

Fighter/Cleric is pretty much the best example of a multiclass giving you almost all the good about two classes for no downside.

Don't do a late dual in BG1. If you're gonna do it then dual Imoen at like level 3-5, dumping everything into one or two skills to max them. If you want a thief during the downtime then just swap out a party member, no need to saddle yourself with what is otherwise basically a useless class for the whole game.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
What gay replies. Bg1 might be one ie game where building dedicated backstabber is rewarding. So many things out there beggin to be stabbed and making things much cleaner than fighting them directly.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
That's why you install SCS, so the mages at least are protected by Stoneskin.
And at low levels the backstab modifier is not that great.
I like it better in Icewind Dale at low levels, where it's a good opening move against groups with mages and/or archers.

Cleric/Thief quite useful as a bonus. Not a good idea for a PC for BG1. It starts nice, but becomes under leveled quickly. Same for Cleric/Mage.

Pure cleric is the best among those choices. Cleric spells Tier 1-3 are pretty good, and many cleric spell scale off of level. Also, getting Level 4 spells is a big deal, so the sooner the better. Holy power makes you into a fighter, Free Action lets you go nuts with Webs, and do not underestimate Cloak of Fear. If you stay pure, then you'll even get Tier 5 spells, which again is a huge step up. Getting to Level 10 will also score you another use of your kit abilities, assuming you choose a kit.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I hate backstabbing in BG1. It trivializes too many otherwise interesting fights

That's why you install SCS, so the mages at least are protected by Stoneskin.
And at low levels the backstab modifier is not that great.
I like it better in Icewind Dale at low levels, where it's a good opening move against groups with mages and/or archers.

Replaying BG for the first time in a looong time, and actually took Monatron and Xzar all the way to Nashkel Mines this time. I normally ditch them as soon as possible, but for some reason I thought they would betray CHARNAME and turn on me during the Mulahey fight. Oh well.

But, I found a surprising use for Monty: scout + stabber! I'm playing with SCS set to hardcore and using stratagem's improved nashkel mines / kobolds / ch. 2 fight, and having monty scout the lower levels and selectively take out chieftains was actually pretty important to doing the entire mines without resting. I rushed them so everyone was either level 2 or 3. With the stratagems kobolds, I had to actually be careful.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, in the Mines Stealth+Backstabbing=nice chunks of Kobold Commando (I don't use the improved Nashkel Mines part) meat splattering on the cave walls.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Replaying BG for the first time in a looong time, and actually took Monatron and Xzar all the way to Nashkel Mines this time. I normally ditch them as soon as possible, but for some reason I thought they would betray CHARNAME and turn on me during the Mulahey fight. Oh well.
Xzar is the most based companion in the game. What reason would he have to betray you?

You're probably right to be wary of Monty though, as cute as he is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom