Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Sentinel

Arcane
Installing original BG2 cause i hate the changed graphics in 2EE.

However, tobex seems to be dead. Trying to install BG2 Enhanced UI and it needs tobex.

Anyone have a working link?

Alternatively, is there a way to increase the font size? 1080p with original font size is kinda hard to read. There's a mod on the nexus but it only works at 720p.

ferratilis

Magister
Lilura's blog gets a recommendation from PC Gamer, for newcomers to BG1/2 no less. :-D

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-play-baldurs-gate-1-and-2/
Baldur's Gate has a good Fandom wiki for any quick hits, but I'd highly recommend Mike's RPG Center, Gamebanshee, and Lilura1's CRPG blog for more in depth needs.

In particular, Mike's has a great, clean directory of all the weapons and armor in BG1 and 2, Gamebanshee has solid, area-by-area walkthroughs of both games, and Lilura1's blog has handy class builds, top item picks, as well as an essential list of all arcane spells in both games and which you should pick per level.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron

However, tobex seems to be dead. Trying to install BG2 Enhanced UI and it needs tobex.

Alternatively, is there a way to increase the font size? 1080p with original font size is kinda hard to read. There's a mod on the nexus but it only works at 720p.
Hmh try this:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/vkkkye

This is the tobex version i have in my install folder. It's 026 and can be used with BG2ImprovedUI. Such a shame that SHS is down.

Sentinel

Arcane

Hmh try this:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/vkkkye

This is the tobex version i have in my install folder. It's 026 and can be used with BG2ImprovedUI. Such a shame that SHS is down.
Thanks.

image.png

Keep getting this error though :(

While the BG1 maps do stitch together nicely, as if be design, it would make the world too small. Imagine the Xvart village being closer to the center of Nashkel than the carnival. Other scaling issues, like the city of Baldur's Gate being large enough to cover 1/3 of the region. It takes the greater part of a day to talk from Beregost to Nashkel, but you can walk from one end of BG to the other in an hour.

I have a treasure trove of BG related mods. A guy asked me to put them in his sharepoint some time ago. It looks like that link is still active.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bK-x2ZgZenUPX1HgVYF9uxQ0EWZEXEBY?usp=sharing

It's in the Non-EE BGT Mod folder.

d1r

Patron
Hmh, this is weird. Try to install the TobEx version provided by Mr. Magniloquent and try again. Though it would be super weird if that one was actually working since I am using Tobex 0026 beta with BG2Improved UI.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Sentinel

Arcane
Got same error

https://github.com/SpellholdStudios/TobEx_AfterLife

I found this with quick search.
But this fixed it. You need AfterLife as well lol. Fuck me. Thanks a lot, works now.

It's gamin' time.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Anyone got the "Rich Evans as Jon Irenicus" meme? I tried to go back some pages but I couldn't find it.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Lilura's blog gets a recommendation from PC Gamer, for newcomers to BG1/2 no less. :-D

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-play-baldurs-gate-1-and-2/
Baldur's Gate has a good Fandom wiki for any quick hits, but I'd highly recommend Mike's RPG Center, Gamebanshee, and Lilura1's CRPG blog for more in depth needs.

In particular, Mike's has a great, clean directory of all the weapons and armor in BG1 and 2, Gamebanshee has solid, area-by-area walkthroughs of both games, and Lilura1's blog has handy class builds, top item picks, as well as an essential list of all arcane spells in both games and which you should pick per level.
I see that Swordflight is still shilled there

d1r

Patron
Got same error

https://github.com/SpellholdStudios/TobEx_AfterLife

I found this with quick search.
But this fixed it. You need AfterLife as well lol. Fuck me. Thanks a lot, works now.

It's gamin' time.
This is super weird. I never installed AfterLife but was able to install BG2ImprovedUI v5.6.

Vyadhis

Learned
Why do people act like the original games are so awful compared to the Enhanced Editions? Does every old game need to have bullshit "QoL" stuff inserted into it that further breaks balance and gameplay? I'm not trying to say BG1+2 were the most well balanced games but the EE is a fucking joke. PS:T EE is probably the least egregious but Icewind Dale EE is an abomination.

I think the originals running in the proper aspect ratio at the intended resolution looks way better than whatever the EE's attempt. The UI is perfect and even when you try to replicate it in EE it doesn't look the same. I feel this way about other games too. When I play roms I almost never upscale and will use some kind of crt-shader if I can. Does it look like a real old tv? Not really but it improves stuff IMO, especially if you can replicate some dithering effects.

The little "touches" beamdog did piss me off too, why..? Examples

-when you leave with Gorion in the original he casts a spell on you, in the EE an npc does it.
-When you do the Prism quest there's no cutscene transistion when Greywolf appears but there is in the EE. Again, why..?
-You get handed scroll and potion cases out the wazoo.

Yes, there are a few bugs, like how the smithy takes all your ankheg shells if you don't place all but one on the floor but this is barely an issue once you figure it out. Its a crime that people can't get the originals anymore without supporting beamdog, I fully advocate piracy in this case or buying the originals.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
EE allows you to scroll in so that you benefit from both a UI which fits a 16:9 1080p display and you don't need a pair of glasses to actually see shit

Vyadhis

Learned
Too addicted to alt tabbing nowadays to play a game that doesn't handle it well.
Dropping cnc-ddraw into the BG folder and enabling "Borderless" makes alt tabbing just as fast as the EEs if that's what you mean. Maybe I misconstrued your message, if so sorry.

EE allows you to scroll in so that you benefit from both a UI which fits a 16:9 1080p display and you don't need a pair of glasses to actually see shit
my eyesight is pretty awful and I can still read stuff fine? I admit its not as clear as the EE is. I mean, if you really prefer the EE, all jokes aside, that's fine.

Last edited:

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Too addicted to alt tabbing nowadays to play a game that doesn't handle it well.
Dropping cnc-ddraw into the BG folder and enabling "Borderless" makes alt tabbing just as fast as the EEs if that's what you mean. Maybe I misconstrued your message, if so sorry.

my eyesight is pretty awful and I can still read stuff fine? I admit its not as clear as the EE is. I mean, if you really prefer the EE, all jokes aside, that's fine.
I doubt that you can really see everything, you've just memorized everything by shape
Niggas our age should be gentle to our frail forms

cdx

Novice
I followed the Beregost crash fix solution from Ascension64 for BGTotSC (Original Saga, non EE), and since SHS seems down, here it is for reference:

Original post: https://web.archive.org/web/20221007021749/www.shsforums.net/topic/44746-beregost-crashes-solved/

What to do to create your own weidu beregost bug fix mod:

Download latest weidu https://github.com/WeiDUorg/weidu/releases, extract, rename "weidu.exe" to "setup-beregostfix.exe", create folder "beregostfix" and a file inside it called "setup-beregostfix.tp2", with these contents:

Code:
BACKUP ~BeregostFix~

AUTHOR ~Asc64~

BEGIN ~BeregostFix~

//AR3300, FW3300, AR6700 (BG1, BGTutu, BGT)
COPY_EXISTING ~AR3300.ARE~ ~override~
  READ_LONG 0xA4 nDoors
  READ_LONG 0xA8 offDoors
  READ_LONG 0x7C offPoints
  READ_LONG 0x80 nPoints

SET i = 0

FOR (i = 0; i < nDoors; i += 1) BEGIN
    READ_ASCII ( %offDoors% + %i% * 0xC8 + 0x20 ) DoorId
    PATCH_IF ( "%DoorId%" STRING_EQUAL "DOOR3304" ) BEGIN
      READ_LONG ( %offDoors% + %i% * 0xC8 + 0x48 ) idxPointsImpededOpen
      READ_SHORT ( %offDoors% + %i% * 0xC8 + 0x4C ) nPointsImpededOpen

SET j = 0
      FOR (j = %idxPointsImpededOpen%; j < %idxPointsImpededOpen% + %nPointsImpededOpen%; j += 1) BEGIN
        READ_SHORT ( %offPoints% + %j% * 0x4) x
        READ_SHORT ( %offPoints% + %j% * 0x4 + 0x2) y

PATCH_IF ( x = 243 && y = 326 ) BEGIN
          WRITE_SHORT ( %offPoints% + %j% * 0x4) 233
          WRITE_SHORT ( %offPoints% + %j% * 0x4 + 0x2) 302
        END

PATCH_IF ( x = 243 && y = 327 ) BEGIN
          WRITE_SHORT ( %offPoints% + %j% * 0x4) 233
          WRITE_SHORT ( %offPoints% + %j% * 0x4 + 0x2) 304
        END

PATCH_IF ( x = 242 && y = 325 ) BEGIN
          WRITE_SHORT ( %offPoints% + %j% * 0x4) 232
          WRITE_SHORT ( %offPoints% + %j% * 0x4 + 0x2) 304
        END

PATCH_IF ( x = 233 && y = 303 ) BEGIN
        END

END
    END
  END

Note that the line "COPY_EXISTING ~AR3300.ARE~ ~override~" is changed for BGTotSC/Original Saga from the shs link, as per the comment above it.

Then copy "setup-beregostfix.exe" and the folder "beregostfix" into your bg1 install folder and install like any weidu mod (execute setup-beregostfix.exe, press "I").

This is all specifically for BGTotSC. The BGT installer already has this included. So does the latest bg1 fixpack I'm aware of https://github.com/Sasha-alTherin/BGFixPack , however it's in beta and I had crashes using that fixpack, so I'm avoiding it. Currrently I'm using the non-weidu baldurdash fixpack https://sorcerers.net/Games/BG/index_mods.php , the text edits from there, the bugfix above, tweaks antholody, and no crashes yet.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom