Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Vyadhis

Learned
but Icewind Dale EE is an abomination.
What did they do to it?
It adds a bunch of un-needed kits and extra stuff that I think bloats the game. Honestly, some people prefer more options to power game with and that's their idea of fun so that's fine. I just don't care for it.

Also yea, the fresh install got cnc-draw working!

Even ignoring the npcs BG1 had way more balance alterations in EE compared to what IWD got.

Also I feel kits suit IWD well with a fully customizable 6 man party. Lots of kits and classes are boring or underpowered that I wouldn't want my PC to be for a BG trilogy run. I can't imagine playing bard and just singing all game, or monk and not hitting/not damaging/getting hit all game long. But those are suitable to pick as your 5th or 6th in IWD. I'd stick to pure IWD1 classes if it was my first playthrough but we're all well past that by now I expect.

I tried a full 6 monk meme run party. It sucked lol and I had to grind a shit ton pre-yuxonomei

Last edited:

Vyadhis

Learned
Even ignoring the npcs BG1 had way more balance alterations in EE compared to what IWD got.

Also I feel kits suit IWD well with a fully customizable 6 man party. Lots of kits and classes are boring or underpowered that I wouldn't want my PC to be for a BG trilogy run. I can't imagine playing bard and just singing all game, or monk and not hitting/not damaging/getting hit all game long. But those are suitable to pick as your 5th or 6th in IWD. I'd stick to pure IWD1 classes if it was my first playthrough but we're all well past that by now I expect.

I tried a full 6 monk meme run party. It sucked lol and I had to grind a shit ton pre-yuxonomei
Dumb question but is IWD non-EE moddable to allow that?

I doubt so. You could replicate it by essentially rebuilding kits from the ground up and having an NPC in-game that could train you in kit abilities or something but that'd be a lot of work. And there's probably kits that use abilities that aren't possible to do in the non-EE engine.

janior

Arcane
Patron
It's the small things like pointless changes that are not even listed anywhere, in the first town a paladin gives u a quest to kill some ogres, in EE the ogres are in fixed location in original the ogres ambush you as soon as you enter the zone.
Ankheg Plate Mail does not count as an enchanted item in EE it makes it even more op early in the game. There are also more pointless changes like changing the genders of ghosts in Firewine Ruins for no reason at all, there's probably hundreds of pointless tweaks like that, all they needed to do is to make the games easily playable on modern systems in widescreen and get rid of some of the bugs(less important) but in typical modder fashion they couldn't help themselves but rape the game. Would be nice if the game warned the players about it but everyone on the internet somehow has agreed that EE is the way to go and "same" as the old games lmao.

ferratilis

Magister
I'm playing BG2, but for the first time, I decided to go solo, F/M/T. It's really enjoyable not having to deal with pathfinding or listen to Boo's squeaking, however I've run into an obstacle. Since I can't use healing scrolls nor staff of curing, how are you supposed to beat the Empathic Manifestation in the Ancient Temple during the Cult of the Eyeless quest? With a party, it's easy to deal with him using some kind of cure spell, but what if you're playing solo as a class that can't cast it? Afaik, even gloves of healing would be useless here since I can't use them.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
I'm playing BG2, but for the first time, I decided to go solo, F/M/T. It's really enjoyable not having to deal with pathfinding or listen to Boo's squeaking, however I've run into an obstacle. Since I can't use healing scrolls nor staff of curing, how are you supposed to beat the Empathic Manifestation in the Ancient Temple during the Cult of the Eyeless quest? With a party, it's easy to deal with him using some kind of cure spell, but what if you're playing solo as a class that can't cast it? Afaik, even gloves of healing would be useless here since I can't use them.
Not everything in the world can be solved alone.

ferratilis

Magister
Not everything in the world can be solved alone.
Fuck it, I went back to the circus, picked up Aerie, finished him, then dismissed her. Rules are made to be broken.

JBro

Arbiter
I've only played the EEs for BG, and I had no idea they'd changed so much outside of the shitty new party members I didn't touch. Completely disgusts me. What all did they change for PS:T?

Vyadhis

Learned
I've only played the EEs for BG, and I had no idea they'd changed so much outside of the shitty new party members I didn't touch. Completely disgusts me. What all did they change for PS:T?
I think they changed the least out of the PS:T enhanced edition, not sure. Someone from here did an entire blog about all the changes to Icewind Dale in the EE. I think she's a bit of a pariah among here but it was an informative read.

Wait until you get use any item from thief epic levels?

Cohesion

Augur
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think they changed the least out of the PS:T enhanced edition, not sure. Someone from here did an entire blog about all the changes to Icewind Dale in the EE. I think she's a bit of a pariah among here but it was an informative read.
https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2016/12/Icewind-Dale-Enhanced-Edition-Review.html

This one? (S)he is a famous codexer.

Vyadhis

Learned
https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2016/12/Icewind-Dale-Enhanced-Edition-Review.html

This one? (S)he is a famous codexer.
Yeah, her. TBH I enjoy her blogs.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Lilura is the gem in the crown of the Codex:

Trampier-Lich.png

Pity she can't be lured back to the Codex yet again.

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
If you aren't evil-aligned, your Bhaalspawn powers should include a minor heal spell.

ferratilis

Magister
If you aren't evil-aligned, your Bhaalspawn powers should include a minor heal spell.
I'm chaotic neutral. But nevermind, I finished the quest thanks to Aerie. Thanks anyway.

Vyadhis

Learned
This is kinda dumb but if for some reason you're playing the EE of Baldur's Gate still and are sick of beamdog taking credit for the game you can replace the logo with the old bioware dragon. Go to your game's directory, go to movies, find logo.wbm and make sure to back it up if you do something wrong. Rename the copy to something else. Now take BWDRAGON.wbm and rename it to logo. Now mod out the awful beamdog npcs. Congrats, your Baldur's Gate EE is a little bit cleaner.

It helps me because I switch back and fourth between OG and EE.

xan

Literate
Just defeated Irenicus in Spellhold on my first attempt at a full SCS trilogy playthrough, and overall I'm in two minds about the mod.

On the positive side, it delivers memorable encounters e.g. bandit camp, Iron throne, and the final Sarevok showdown, in addition to more generally enabling spellcasters to become truly dangerous opponents (who all quietly agreed to memorise 3x Chaos). And when the Rakashashas in the house near the druid grove responded to my ducking in and out of the door by dropping a teleport field I was really impressed, and amused.

But, those same cats are immune to spell lvls 1 through 7 (!), naturally immune to normal weapons, and cast PfMW on themsleves (!!). This is too much. I installed the Milf's meteors nerf because I agreed with the reasoning, but if there is way to beat that encounter without them early-mid game I couldn't think of it. The precasting is also hard to love, though to a degree it does make sense, and spellcasters are indeed too vulnerable without it (I backstab-gibbed that powerful mage in the docks, who is apparently a pretty stiff challenge when fought 'fairly'). Funnily enough, I did notice that while they do cast a lot of spell protections, they often neglect combat protections, so the best solution isn't 'mage duelling' but simple +1 arrows or weapons applied directly to the wizard (at least in BG1 & early BG2).

Outside of SCS, I really dislike the EEs. All that's been said ad infinitum i'm sure, but it's hard to believe that guys that worked on the original signed off on what often amounts to vandalism. How can you compare the stone ui of the original, where buttons grind and crunch, and everything has a satisfying weight and presence, to the EE's merely functional 'enhancement'. I appreciate that you can turn off most of the egregious elements, but it's dismaying to consider that newcomers will think that awful health bars, character outlines, and literally sucking all the color out of the world when paused is how the game is supposed to look.

Finally, I have to admit that I seem incapable of playing BG2 without one party member slaughtering another. Previously that's been because I mix and match alignments, but this time I opted for a party of goodies/neutrals, including Anomen and Keldorn, who develop an interesting would-be mentor/student relationship. But then I did Anomen's quest.
Now, this games moral outlook isn't often overbearing or intrusive, but here it seems that the devs decided that revenge is necessarily evil, or maybe that's their understanding of Anomen's obligations as an aspiring paladin. Either way, I encouraged Anomen to revenge the murder of his sister. The way I see it - that's his family, abstract notions of walking a nobler path to eschew vengeance don't apply, it's eye for an eye old testament time. So, he chunks the guys daughter (based) but this means that he 'fails' his quest, and the order expel him. I loved his reaction to this, and when Keldorn started condescending to him again Anomen just loses it. Whereas he used to gently rebuke Keldorn's paternalism, now he's all 'Silence, dog!' and 'Die, you bastard!', and fuck it, I let them duel it out and Anomen chunked Keldorn in the Harper base reception area. I've never seen that interaction before, and it's great that even after 20 years this game still has new ways to amuse and entertain you.

But, those same cats are immune to spell lvls 1 through 7 (!), naturally immune to normal weapons, and cast PfMW on themsleves (!!). This is too much. I installed the Milf's meteors nerf because I agreed with the reasoning, but if there is way to beat that encounter without them early-mid game I couldn't think of it.
Traps lol.

Alternatively PfMW only lasts 4 rounds so you can wait it out. Those immunities are base game, SCS is just casting PfMW with a mage of sufficient level to know it. It's true though that high difficulties of SCS aren't balanced for a "go anywhere" BG2 run like vanilla is. But then on the other hand its also content optional to that area so there's no reason you can't come back later. You're not supposed to fight Kangaxx at low levels, consider them the same way.

You can tweak the exact difficulty level of SCS pretty finely in-game, a button in the config menu will open a dialog that lets you configure between several levels of mages pre-casting spells and what spells they get.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
EE allows you to scroll in so that you benefit from both a UI which fits a 16:9 1080p display and you don't need a pair of glasses to actually see shit

You can just run the games with aspect ratio scaling on your GPU and you don't need to "scroll in" to see things - in fact you are seeing only what the developers intended you to see, unlike a shitty widescreen hack - and you have a perfectly functional UI on 1080p.

Vyadhis

Learned
Just defeated Irenicus in Spellhold on my first attempt at a full SCS trilogy playthrough, and overall I'm in two minds about the mod.

On the positive side, it delivers memorable encounters e.g. bandit camp, Iron throne, and the final Sarevok showdown, in addition to more generally enabling spellcasters to become truly dangerous opponents (who all quietly agreed to memorise 3x Chaos). And when the Rakashashas in the house near the druid grove responded to my ducking in and out of the door by dropping a teleport field I was really impressed, and amused.

But, those same cats are immune to spell lvls 1 through 7 (!), naturally immune to normal weapons, and cast PfMW on themsleves (!!). This is too much. I installed the Milf's meteors nerf because I agreed with the reasoning, but if there is way to beat that encounter without them early-mid game I couldn't think of it. The precasting is also hard to love, though to a degree it does make sense, and spellcasters are indeed too vulnerable without it (I backstab-gibbed that powerful mage in the docks, who is apparently a pretty stiff challenge when fought 'fairly'). Funnily enough, I did notice that while they do cast a lot of spell protections, they often neglect combat protections, so the best solution isn't 'mage duelling' but simple +1 arrows or weapons applied directly to the wizard (at least in BG1 & early BG2).

Outside of SCS, I really dislike the EEs. All that's been said ad infinitum i'm sure, but it's hard to believe that guys that worked on the original signed off on what often amounts to vandalism. How can you compare the stone ui of the original, where buttons grind and crunch, and everything has a satisfying weight and presence, to the EE's merely functional 'enhancement'. I appreciate that you can turn off most of the egregious elements, but it's dismaying to consider that newcomers will think that awful health bars, character outlines, and literally sucking all the color out of the world when paused is how the game is supposed to look.

Finally, I have to admit that I seem incapable of playing BG2 without one party member slaughtering another. Previously that's been because I mix and match alignments, but this time I opted for a party of goodies/neutrals, including Anomen and Keldorn, who develop an interesting would-be mentor/student relationship. But then I did Anomen's quest.
Now, this games moral outlook isn't often overbearing or intrusive, but here it seems that the devs decided that revenge is necessarily evil, or maybe that's their understanding of Anomen's obligations as an aspiring paladin. Either way, I encouraged Anomen to revenge the murder of his sister. The way I see it - that's his family, abstract notions of walking a nobler path to eschew vengeance don't apply, it's eye for an eye old testament time. So, he chunks the guys daughter (based) but this means that he 'fails' his quest, and the order expel him. I loved his reaction to this, and when Keldorn started condescending to him again Anomen just loses it. Whereas he used to gently rebuke Keldorn's paternalism, now he's all 'Silence, dog!' and 'Die, you bastard!', and fuck it, I let them duel it out and Anomen chunked Keldorn in the Harper base reception area. I've never seen that interaction before, and it's great that even after 20 years this game still has new ways to amuse and entertain you.
22mDL8G.png

I play with the oldschool UI addon and nostalgia fix for classic paperdoll/sprites along with the usual old movies enabled. Also have to be zoomed in. With all that it still feels degenerate and a tad gross. I can't believe how many people defend beamdog. Got in an argument on steam with this fellow who'd wrote several guides telling me beamdog did "hundreds of bug fixes" and redid sections of the infinity engine. Ok...why? BG1 had a few annoying bugs but I've barely noticed them in my playthroughs lately.

Here is the OG in comparison:
TtCfypo.png

Also beamdog has yet to contact me again over a game breaking issue in their version of PS:T. Utterly unprofessional. I've gotten far better feedback from fucking Blizzard.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
You could have at least tried to find a better portrait picture for CHARNAME.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom