Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Self-Ejected
Turn based allow for more complex gameplay and strategy.
Have you ever played Wasteland 2?

It’s all down to implementation. Slaughter your sacred cows and work from experience, not theory.
Yes i did and that was a terrible turn based. Problem is new PNP rpgs have mechanics that cannot be translated well in to rtwp example the action system the reaction system and secondary action system. There is no way you implement it right outside turn based. Beside Rtwp means also you have a lot of filler trashmobs.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
While BG1 and BG1EE are different beasts... I can't really say that 'kits' broke BG1's balance, it just broke it in different ways.
An easy example is that the new Paladin kits are extremely powerful... but you can stack 'Protection From Evil' in vanilla BG1 while you can't in BG1EE. That alone breaks far more encounters as a Paladin compared to the handful encounters that Inquisitors break.

Melcar

Arcane
The one thing that hasn't been mentioned, and its a big power creep to BG1, is dual weapon fighting in EE. An extra ApR is akin to starting in candlekeep with a permanent haste spell on. To a much lesser extent the other weapon styles also inflate player power. I don't think BG1EE enemies use them (although SCS will).
Is it a planned upgrade or is it available now?

Is it a planned upgrade or is it available now?
Now. I believe SCS doles out proficiency points to whatever style of weapon the enemy is using if they would have points to spare based on their levels.

I haven't checked but I'm guessing SCS doesn't change any enemies to be dual wielders, so that's still a player advantage.

Sunri

Liturgist
Was Gorion black?
en_hBcPQjdeac.png

Sarathiour

Cipher
And librarian are well known for spending their day working on the field.

One copium rating for the previous post, please.

Blutwurstritter

Scholar
Has anyone ever considered to merge all Baldur's Gate 1 maps into a single open world? BG2 would require too much glue, but why not 1?
You need to consider that you are not supposed to have access to all areas from the beginning. A single big map would make this difficult. I guess one could work around that, but it would require more than simply stitching all maps together.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Has anyone ever considered to merge all Baldur's Gate 1 maps into a single open world? BG2 would require too much glue, but why not 1?
Probably hardcoded engine limitations and scripting shenanigans. Original engine has problems with too many actors being on screen. EE might be able to handle it, but there still might be hardcoded map size limitations.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
1. Maps are somewhat planned as a single big map, but not perfectly fitting.
2. It would make the world feel much smaller.

A change for worse IMO.

Last edited:

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
No, it would require too much additional content. Parts of the BG1 maps border each other, but plenty do not.

Here's proof by placing (most) overworld maps in their respective position from each other:
bg-overworld.jpg

Source : https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/World_Map

Last edited:

Vyadhis

Learned
Got this yesterday while trying to enter the smithy in Beregost. Couldn't find much info about it aside from learning other people suffered from a crash in Beregost but the only fix files had long since been removed from the internet as far as I could tell. I'm just going to save a lot (not quick) and back them up in other folders when I return to the game. Puts a damper on things that I have to worry about this though. Non-EE of course.
aOLt9hy.png

Eisenheinrich

Scholar

Gorion is not an "librarian" tho, he's a powerful wizard, a seasoned adventurer and member of the Harpers.
You on the other hand, you're just sutpid.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath

Gorion is not an "librarian" tho, he's a powerful wizard, a seasoned adventurer and member of the Harpers.
Lmao.
That comes from a guy who wanted to create Conan in BG3 character editior and created buff lord Farquad instead.
And then assumed that people are simply ignorant of the classic Conan look. Instead of admitting that his character indeed looks more like buff lord Farquad. Especially in that faggy BG3 scale armor.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar

Lmao.
That comes from a guy who wanted to create Conan in BG3 character editior and created buff lord Farquad instead.
And then assumed that people are simply ignorant of the classic Conan look. Instead of admitting that his character indeed looks more like buff lord Farquad. Especially in that faggy BG3 scale armor.

What an epic rebuttal. I stand corrected.

Vyadhis

Learned
Last edited:

Peachcurl

Arcane
No, it would require too much additional content. Parts of the BG1 maps border each other, but plenty do not.

Here's proof by placing (most) overworld maps in their respective position from each other:
View attachment 40611
Source : https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/World_Map
Sure, it requires 'some' glue between the maps, and some careful addition of barriers to not break quests, but I think that would be doable. I'll admit there might be one or two maps that won't mesh.

Self-Ejected

Sarathiour

Cipher

Except Gorion retired,
while you are retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom