Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Jigby

Augur
So I just bought the enhanced editions of BG1, 2, IWD1 & PST at GOG. Just checked with a Codexer that the originals were available under the backup option download.

And they're not.

PST original is available as a sepreate game download, but the others arn't. GOG 'contact us' page is broken. I seem to remember someone here having an autistic rage fit over Beamdog pulling the originals. Seems that may be true.
Have you checked the serial keys? https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/ar...how-to-access-the-classic-version?product=gog

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I just bought the enhanced editions of BG1, 2, IWD1 & PST at GOG. Just checked with a Codexer that the originals were available under the backup option download.

And they're not.

PST original is available as a sepreate game download, but the others arn't. GOG 'contact us' page is broken. I seem to remember someone here having an autistic rage fit over Beamdog pulling the originals. Seems that may be true.
Have you checked the serial keys? https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/ar...how-to-access-the-classic-version?product=gog

Much appreciated. I was just about to report that I had found this on the forums with instructions here: https://af.gog.com/wishlist/games/baldurs_gate_the_original_saga?as=1649904300

Scroll down a bit to this post from June 6th 2019: "This working, guys! But it is not canceling GOG problem <br />For those who bought the Enhanced Edition and aren't able to install the originals versions, you can need to follow a sequence of steps to get them: &lt;br /&gt; 1. Go to you library with an internet navigator; &lt;br /&gt; 2. Click in the picture of the Enhanced Edition of the game in your shelf. This will open a sort of pop up with option of management of the game and its goodies; &lt;br /&gt; 3. Click in big button "MORE" near to the other big, but colored, button "TRY GOG GALAXY"; &lt;br /&gt; 4. Between all the options that will show up, click in the "SERIAL KEYS" option. That will show the name of the game and a web site address (url) to a redeem code; &lt;br /&gt; 5. Copy and paste this url and visit its page, or just open it. There you will be able to validate the url's reddem code and receive the original version of the game in your GOG's library. &lt;br /&gt; &lt;br /&gt; &lt;br /&gt; P.S.: GOG would have been made this more intuitive."

I think this should be pinned for people?.

Edit: Just to be clear I have accessed them using this method. And I also believe the consipiracy theories. Somewhere in that thread, they mentioned this method is TIME LIMITED so this seems to be your last chance to spend some money and get the digital version of the original you Jews.

-Wonder if Infinitron will pin this somewhere.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Instructions without typos and shit formatting:

For those who bought the Enhanced Edition and aren't able to install the originals versions, you can need to follow a sequence of steps to get them:
  1. Go to your library with an internet browser.
  2. Click on the picture of the Enhanced Edition of the game in your shelf. This will open a pop-up box to manage the game and its goodies.
  3. Click the "MORE" button near "TRY GOG GALAXY".
  4. Select "SERIAL KEYS". This will show the name of the game and a website address (URL) to a redeem code.
  5. Follow the URL, which will validate the redeem code and add the original versions to your GOG library.

Ryzer

Arcane
I don't recommend the Stratagems mod in BG2 as it is filled with bugs. I got multiple instances of C++ Check errors. No idea what happened, it was impossible for me to play for more than 10 minutes whereas the original version has few bugs, but still has experience quest reward bugs among others.
I tried "patching" the game with the unofficial patch but atlas, it aggravated the issue.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't recommend the Stratagems mod in BG2 as it is filled with bugs. I got multiple instances of C++ Check errors. No idea what happened, it was impossible for me to play for more than 10 minutes whereas the original version has few bugs, but still has experience quest reward bugs among others.
I tried "patching" the game with the unofficial patch but atlas, it aggravated the issue.
Never had many bugs in my playthroughs.
Some strange crashes when I enter an indoor area, maybe a pathfinding issue, hell if I know...
Other than that, it's always smooth sailing.

Ryzer

Arcane
I don't recommend taking advice from french retards.
Probably a corrupted file of the game messed up everything on my end then, I will try again after I finish it vanilla this time.

Last edited:
SCS + a bevy of other gameplay/tweak mods (not some insanely modded install though) was rock-solid stable for me in BG1EE and BG2EE. ToB had a few crashes, which I'm guessing is due to the extreme scripting on some of the fights + the fact that ToB is the least played and therefor least bugtested, but as long as I quicksaved after buffing it wasn't really bothersome.

As long as you aren't installing really old mods intended for non-EE versions you should be fine. Modern BG2EE mods are pretty good about sorting out incompatibilities if you're installing them in a reasonable order. Not saying that pre-EE mods will neccesarily screw anything up but its a little more chancy. A lot of ye olde NPC mods that haven't been updated in a decade were horrifically coded in the first place.

EDIT: Ohh, if you're trying to run it on BG2 non-EE then you probably need TobEx. Its in the readme for SCS but in a weird place. EE users don't need EEex but it enables neat features anyway so I recommend it.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
SCS + a bevy of other gameplay/tweak mods (not some insanely modded install though) was rock-solid stable for me in BG1EE and BG2EE. ToB had a few crashes, which I'm guessing is due to the extreme scripting on some of the fights + the fact that ToB is the least played and therefor least bugtested, but as long as I quicksaved after buffing it wasn't really bothersome.

As long as you aren't installing really old mods intended for non-EE versions you should be fine. Modern BG2EE mods are pretty good about sorting out incompatibilities if you're installing them in a reasonable order. Not saying that pre-EE mods will neccesarily screw anything up but its a little more chancy. A lot of ye olde NPC mods that haven't been updated in a decade were horrifically coded in the first place.
NPC mods are trash.
You might have even heard of the infamous Saerileth mod...

Sunri

Liturgist
QMIyyc9.png

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Bro do you even lift? This is the only Saerileth review that matters: http://mods.chosenofmystra.net/saerileth/
[Saerileth] has a well-developed personality, and romancing her has been more fun that it ever was with the Bioware NPC's . . . . all in all, this must be one of the best mods for BG2 that I've ever tried, especially because I enjoyed the quests that came with her.
Snippets from reviews of this wonderful mod:

For those of you who follow the NBA, Saerileth is really a lot like LeBron James. The most hyped talent to come along for years, so much expectation, so much riding on his/her young shoulders. Yet exceeds everyone's wildest dreams. Bravo . . . . If I gave Baldur's Gate II and Saerileth to someone who'd never heard of it before, they wouldn't be able to tell she wasn't part of the original game.
--Qualidor

If I could meet someone like Saerileth in real life, I'd be the happiest man on earth . . .
--Wistrik

I have just started the romance (I'd had Saerileth briefly in my party before but I was female) and I am utterly smitten with her. She is so sweet and kind but so mature too... Wonderful!

--Miss Sakaki

I have never met a BG2 NPC who loves me like Saerileth loves me. This mod should be ordered by our doctor when we feel a bit down and sad.
--Phil

... And then there's the romance. Sweet, merciful Tyr, the romance. Do you have any idea how long I've been looking for something like this? I'm not a therapist, I'm not a counsellor, I'm a monk, dang it! I'm sick of dealing with Aerie's wing-complex, Jahaera's fears of losing another love, or Vicconia's struggle to understand that there might actually be ONE person on the surface who is actually looking out for her. It is so refreshing that Saerileth doesn't bring so much baggage with her, that she doesn't have an psychological problems
--Calemyr

Damn...she's just like a real woman...sometimes you just don't know what her reaction may be, or you know what it will be but don't know when it will hit you...
--Kanvas

Saerileth is a 15-year-old human paladin of Tyr.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Bro do you even lift? This is the only Saerileth review that matters: http://mods.chosenofmystra.net/saerileth/
[Saerileth] has a well-developed personality, and romancing her has been more fun that it ever was with the Bioware NPC's . . . . all in all, this must be one of the best mods for BG2 that I've ever tried, especially because I enjoyed the quests that came with her.
Will he ever live it down? I hope not.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
The original version of the Imoen Romance mod was as worse as the Saerileth mod.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
The original version of the Imoen Romance mod was as worse as the Saerileth mod.
explain
The writing was very explicit. For example CHARNAME trying to force himself upon Imoen, wheres she manages to escape by casting Stoneskin. Shit like that. The current version of the mod is still terrible nontheless, even though it has been heavily rewritten. The writing style is still garbage, and does not fit at all compared to the original game's writing style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom