Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It's the small things like pointless changes that are not even listed anywhere, in the first town a paladin gives u a quest to kill some ogres, in EE the ogres are in fixed location in original the ogres ambush you as soon as you enter the zone.

Sorry I think this is incorrect, my BG1 install is the original CD version and location of the Ogres for the quest given by the spear holding plate armored guy in the Beregost southmost tavern is a fixed location. Off the top of my head it's always been on the map where Drizzt is found.

Just double checking and yes, Dudleyville walkthrough confirms it

http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar4200.htm

Is this a mixup between the ogre bounty at Beregost and the ogres (or ogrillions) you find while travelling from Beregost to Nashkel, who had killed the husband of that woman who lives in Nashkel?

janior

Arcane
Patron
It's the small things like pointless changes that are not even listed anywhere, in the first town a paladin gives u a quest to kill some ogres, in EE the ogres are in fixed location in original the ogres ambush you as soon as you enter the zone.

Sorry I think this is incorrect, my BG1 install is the original CD version and location of the Ogres for the quest given by the spear holding plate armored guy in the Beregost southmost tavern is a fixed location. Off the top of my head it's always been on the map where Drizzt is found.

Just double checking and yes, Dudleyville walkthrough confirms it

http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar4200.htm
if you arrive from the north it does work happened in my playthrough, wiki confirms it
https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Half-ogres_Near_Beregost
  • In the original game, you are attacked upon arriving from the north through the Red Canyons. This no longer works in the enhanced edition, since the worldmap is altered and you enter the map more to the east.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Now that I think of it, it may have happened to me before and I was very confused not to find the Half-Ogres at the location on the regular map ... but I think any playthrough that I've done in the last 15 years (usually start out bottom right and go left later), I'm almost always arriving from the east to that area.

Vyadhis

Learned
Baldur's Gate 2 portraits with StableDiffusion.
Original reddit post
Another AI portrait pack.
This one is more faithful to the original style.

52-1687981907-839665966.jpeg

52-1687981947-1384003685.jpeg

76-1687200024-1652528629.jpeg

76-1690589783-402429515.jpeg

Realistic NPC Portraits for BGEE

Realistic NPC Portraits for BG2EE​

And now with ToB portraits.
76-1693038002-316515352.jpeg

76-1693037486-1760945030.jpeg
I mostly like this pack but for BG1 it makes Montaron look like the gimp baby Satan is carrying while Jesus is being whipped in Passion of The Christ.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
AI's sense of lighting is so bad though. It feels so plastic and artificial. The phisicality of things is gone and you're left with glamour shots of action figures.

Vyadhis

Learned
I need some help working toward SCS on Insanity. I was initially on hardcore but thought what the hell and pumped it up to insanity. I'm still early game, stuff was going fine until Nimbul. This isn't a no reload/no death run or anything btw.

Is there really any point to a dedicated tank like Kagain if my MC is a berserker? My plan is to dual early on in BG2 at 9 but for all of BG1 I'm going to be berserker so I'm slapping on armor and going with longsword. Yeah, I know its not as meta as KATANA but fuck I tried and playing through BG1 with only one weapon is no fun plus I love Varscona for the first game. Someone else is planned to use Flail of Ages in BG2. I feel like I'm getting the most milleage out of Imoen, Edwin and Viconia. Magic is incredibly helpful and I plan on dualing Imoen to mage at 5. Max find traps and knock for locks. I had several plans for the future:

Dump Kagain (he currently has the dex bracers) and make my final party berserker MC, Imoen who will be a mage soon, Edwin Viconia, Coran and Baeloth or I could take Dorn instead of Coran because I installed a poison re-balancer. I have no plans to put Dorn on the front line but was thinking maybe he could be an archer with poison (it does work on arrows, right?). Jokes aside about the fact I'm using two beamdog npcs and deserve a lashing I wonder how well this party would do. It is arcane heavy but I really like going magic heavy and it seems all the more useful on SCS plus I know Baeloth comes with dispel right out the gate. Baeloth is also the npc that bugs me the least.

This is the farthest I've gotten in scs and I was feeling pretty good about how easily I beat Muhaley and now this random shows up who's much scarier. My Muhaley fight went like this: sleep and killed the set of kobolds by Xan, lie to him so he doesn't aggro and then I just used command to get a bunch of free hits while everyone was buffed with chant. Muhaley made this hillarious burping sound and failed his morale check, doing nothing much.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Katana is a meme , 1d10 instead of 1d8 is irrelevant unless you're going for a thief/kensai, celestial fury is obviously a good weapon, but pretty much the only good katana, whereas you're going to get good longswords from BG1 to the end of ToB, and more importantly, swords with defensive option.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Mulahey is not a fight indicative of what SCS does to the game. In all the later chapter fights you will be facing full parties or an overwhelming amount of trash.

Now, I'm not gonna say that you can't do it with 3 mages and Viconia because you can, but that's not gonna be a stroll. Your MC will not be able to tank as much as you think he can, unless you go DD but even then the AI is smart enough to backstab you. You WILL get hit and total HP matters a lot to keep you up through potion durations.

The easiest way other than cheeses would be 3 frontliners loaded up with potions, one archer dispelling, a cleric buffing and a mage summoning crap.

Nimbul has weak saves, Bane+Blind him and get some potions of Heroism to hack him down.

Vyadhis

Learned
Mulahey is not a fight indicative of what SCS does to the game. In all the later chapter fights you will be facing full parties or an overwhelming amount of trash.

Now, I'm not gonna say that you can't do it with 3 mages and Viconia because you can, but that's not gonna be a stroll. Your MC will not be able to tank as much as you think he can, unless you go DD but even then the AI is smart enough to backstab you. You WILL get hit and total HP matters a lot to keep you up through potion durations.

The easiest way other than cheeses would be 3 frontliners loaded up with potions, one archer dispelling, a cleric buffing and a mage summoning crap.

Nimbul has weak saves, Bane+Blind him and get some potions of Heroism to hack him down.
Alright thanks, this is good advice!

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I have no privileges, yet I must brofist. Looks much better.

On Beamdog stuff, I should admit that I did use Dorn for most of my BG1 playthrough. He's very strong, claiming almost 50% of total kills across the game. He starts with a great two-hander, and of course there is spider bane. His strength gives him damage and THAC0 reduction, and his poison reliably interrupts spellcasters. He also has aura of fear, but I can't quite recall what it does. Oh, and he can act as the face of the party too.
Only downside is his lower constitution, but if you play scs that's less of an issue due to extra healing potions being available to buy.

So, if you like strong all rounder characters, I guess there's something worthwhile beamdog added.
I used Dorn all the way up to and including ToB the first time I played through the EEs when I was trying to give the Beamdog additions a fair shot, he's strong and I like the end of his personal quest in ToB, overall probably the least annoying Beamdog character (although I still think it was a mistake for them to add their own characters into the mix of a game that people love so much).

Vyadhis

Learned
What minor differences are there between EE and BG1 with tutu? I think for now I'm going to finish my vanilla BG1 run then install scs for BG2 non-EE. Later on I might try BGT in a seperate install folder. If I want to install scs for "non-EE" BG2 I need to install the bugfix right?

I already own the EEs I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Ryzer

Arcane
Well BG1EE's UI is pure dogshit compared to BG1's stylish interface which is not a minor difference.
You should install the Bugfix, it will greatly reduce the amount of bugs and assertion errors in game.

Ryzer

Arcane
How do you guys play Baldur's gate 2? I can't play it with its terrible RTwp combat system, it quickly becomes a mess to control. The pathfinding is terrible and the characters don't react as I want them to.

What's the secret to handle Baldur's Gate 2 combat?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
How do you guys play Baldur's gate 2? I can't play it with its terrible RTwp combat system, it quickly becomes a mess to control. The pathfinding is terrible and the characters don't react as I want them to.

You play KotC or ToEE instead.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Pause the game when battle starts and try to micro manage your party members.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

git gud

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom