Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Callisto Protocol - new survival horror from Dead Space creator

As usual poorfags that can't afford current hardware tank the PC scores, this is why game devs hate PC users people. Waaah waaah, why doesn't this state of the art game run on smooth as silk my Pentium dual-core from 2007??? The Glen has done it again and Morgoth is seething hard postin some no-name youtuber reviews as if it means something. Mark my fucking words this game will be looked back on as a classic next gen.
Yeah those fucking poors with their 4090s and 12900ks complaining about unplayable shader cache stutter on a popamole game that looks 12% better than 15 year old dead space

They deserve everything they get for buying a 4090 to play console ports.

This gay cunt is in near tears, now that's a survival horror experience.

Oh, absolutely, they get what they fucking deserve. I used to like DF when it was just one autistic nerd making short movies out of his basement about niche old shit and how crucial 60fps is, but now it's all sorts of fags waxing endlessly pedantic about muh physically based rendering and how 30 fps is acceptable, actually.

LOL MUH MENTAL CAPACITY IS EXTINGUISHED WOE IS ME I HAVE TO SAY BAD THINGS ABOUT GAMES SOMETIMES MAYBE

Last edited:

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
For fucks sake, his entire job is to pick flaws in ports and make comparisons.

If it's been that bad for a year and 'half your task now is to hold their feet to the fire and make videos to publically shame the worst offenders.

Contrast these clowns with someone like Steve from GN.

I don't understand why they just couldn't update the graphics and improve compatibility. No one asked for Kendra to look like a bland blob, for Isaac to speak or for Nicole to look 30 years older.
Hell, did DS even need an update? Doesn't it work fine on modern systems?

It did not need an update. A graphical overhaul - but NOT a visual design overhaul - would have been nice, but not required. Dead Space looks ok. Dead Space 2 actually still looks great.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I don't understand why they just couldn't update the graphics and improve compatibility. No one asked for Kendra to look like a bland blob, for Isaac to speak or for Nicole to look 30 years older.

It did not need an update. A graphical overhaul - but NOT a visual design overhaul - would have been nice, but not required. Dead Space looks ok. Dead Space 2 actually still looks great.
zF1muSl.png

All it needs is an easy to find mouse fix dll and a 60 fps cap set outside the game from the graphics card control panel and it runs fine (last I played anyways). That saves everybody 60-70 dollars and avoids the uglification of past art.
Heh I never even used any mouse fix, just maxed out sensitivity in game was always good enough for me. Outside of that, forcing V Sync, Anisotropic Filtering and FXAA from graphics card panel is all I ever did. There is no in game Anisotropic and in game AA literally does nothing but blur. Still I'm fine with the way it is and I won't ever be trying the remake.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nice TEN GIGABYTE patch downloading now, wonder what this one will fix...

fork

Nice TEN GIGABYTE patch downloading now, wonder what this one will fix...
Could be the first batch of purchasable death animations.

Nah, those are already in, they just need to be unlocked for people who'll pay for them.
Those 10GB are something unremarkable which would've been fixed 15 years ago by a 100kb patch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I'm guessing the patch notes will contain great hits such as:

-fixed a strange bug in subtitles when first entering waste processing. [Slovenian localization only]
-Rebalanced cursor size by 2 pixels
-Cleared up a sound issue on certain days of the year when using the Xbox Elite Controller in conjunction with a Razer Kraken headset made between 3 March and 22 June 2022.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
No no no, you don't understand.
If you change the spelling from "theif" to "thief" without applying the appropriate oils and typing in the sacred prayer code (in Fortran, naturally), the machine spirit will become enraged and replace every texture with Goatse out of spite.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
-fixed a strange bug in subtitles when first entering waste processing. [Slovenian localization only]
You wish. It drives me fucking crazy when very mundane text errors stay for years while the rest of the game otherwise gets GBs of patches.

"Do you program videogames for a living? They would need extensive playtesting to make sure the update doesn't break anything and..." Holy shit shut the fuck up and just swap teh with the.

The point being it would only affect some obscure language that 0.00001% of the players would even care about.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Holly Jc. Denton St. Jacob of Von Braun, I've not felt such a letdown from a game for a long time. And the 10GB patch just gave the scenes more contrast, brightness, and clarity. Just what the only good thing about this game—its ominous and misty feel—needed: more summertime goodness. I go jump out of the window.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Watch all my movies in original language. But games? Don't care. The subtitles are always dubtitles, meaning subs for the localized language, usually so teeny that you have less time to look at the scene, usually too close to the edge of the screen, and no one can read while they're in the middle of some interactive action anyway.

20220209154529-1.jpg

Typical.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Well no linear, EPIC ACKSHUN game really has replay value. You finish it once and that's it.

You can't even 3 different colored endings.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Well, that's what difficulty modes, completion stats and build variations are for. But yeah if a game doesn't have those or you already beat it on the hardest setting there's nothing else to do.
Dead Space at least gave you a bunch of different weapons and upgrade paths to test out. Still not much replay value but it's something.

Apparently there's like 4 weapons in Callisto, which doesn't seem good. Are there upgrade paths at least?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well no linear, EPIC ACKSHUN game really has replay value. You finish it once and that's it.

You can't even 3 different colored endings.

Max Payne disagrees. It got nice in game difficulties(New York Minute?) that change the gameplay and push your limits. Also being a fun and short game, it was OK to replay it once a while, eventhough second game kinda made it redundant.
But yeah this kind of games don't have any replay value and nowadays, to add insult to the wound, they make games even bigger and grindy to further kill the replay value (I'm looking at you Nu-God of War...)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Well, that's what difficulty modes, completion stats and build variations are for. But yeah if a game doesn't have those or you already beat it on the hardest setting there's nothing else to do.
Dead Space at least gave you a bunch of different weapons and upgrade paths to test out. Still not much replay value but it's something.

Apparently there's like 4 weapons in Callisto, which doesn't seem good. Are there upgrade paths at least?

Yes they have some upgrades (muh RPG elements) but the improvements at each level are minor. You have more ammo lying around than makes sense in a "survival horror" but the enemies are bullet sponges even on medium difficulty.

Thus you end up beating the enemies upside the head with a stick the majority of the time and QTE'ing away from their attacks.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Weapons suck, you got 2 pistols, one faster and other one slower but more damaging, 2 shotguns which are mostly the same except magazine size and last upgrade and an assault rifle. Not counting baton and not-force gauntlet.
Slower pistol gets an explosive ammo upgrade which is only needed at the last boss. Too expensive to use otherwise.
Faster pistol gets an even faster fire mode that fire five bullets burst. Beyond useless.
Skunk gun (not-shotgun) gets homing bullets that are kinda OKish. Still expensive to use because most of the combats happen in near close quaters and you need to be blind or 1 year old to miss.
Shotgun get also expolsive ammo at the end upgrade...
Assault rifle gets homing bullets... You see a pattern here? AR is already the most powerful weapon thanks to its magazine size and reliable range and it doesn't really miss that much because it has only 3 shots burst. WTF man...

So only things that really need upgrading are the baton, gauntlet and slow pistol. Rest are developed when they were high on something I guess.

Edit: Also as Zarniwoop said there are always ammo lying around. That with OP baton and gauntlet I ended up selling most of the ammo for upgrades.
which suck...

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

Yes they have some upgrades (muh RPG elements) but the improvements at each level are minor. You have more ammo lying around than makes sense in a "survival horror" but the enemies are bullet sponges even on medium difficulty.

Thus you end up beating the enemies upside the head with a stick the majority of the time and QTE'ing away from their attacks.
With all respect, they're not. I played on hard. If you shoot enemies into their legs or arms that is. E.g., a helmed zombie takes about 6-8 hits with an upgraded baton, which takes a considerable time. Whereas 3 shots from an upgraded pistol to one of the legs results in the zombie losing the leg, starting to crawl towards the player, and at that time it can be either finished with one overhead chop without fuss, or GRPed towards anything to certain death. The time taken depends mostly only on the player's skill to aim and to compensate with the recoil. I don't know why people say the opposite all the time. I think that most players are able to soon know better than to shoot the torso or the heads, because yeah, that usually doesn't work much, bullet sponge time.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

With all respect, they're not. I played on hard. If you shoot enemies into their legs or arms that is. E.g., a helmed zombie takes about 6-8 hits with an upgraded baton, which takes a considerable time. Whereas 3 shots from an upgraded pistol to one of the legs results in the zombie losing the leg, starting to crawl towards the player, and at that time it can be either finished with one overhead chop without fuss, or GRPed towards anything to certain death. The time taken depends mostly only on the player's skill to aim and to compensate with the recoil. I don't know why people say the opposite all the time. I think that most players are able to soon know better than to shoot the torso or the heads, because yeah, that usually doesn't work much, bullet sponge time.

So, shoot in the leg and bash it over the head with the stick.

As I said, it always comes down to the bashing eventually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom