Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Callisto Protocol - new survival horror from Dead Space creator

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I checked the death animation compilation and some monsters lack unique deaths, instead your MC ragdolls lifelessly (and some odd stuff such as ripping your jaw = your UPPER head part is disintegrated instead). No wonder the devs want to sell a DLc with "more deaths", they didn't finish the product or they're overtly greedy.
Speaking of that, is it just me or are like 40% of those animations with the upper head chopped off? It's like they made one damage model and just shoved it in as many times as possible, even when it doesn't make sense.

Fargus

Arcane
I checked the death animation compilation and some monsters lack unique deaths, instead your MC ragdolls lifelessly (and some odd stuff such as ripping your jaw = your UPPER head part is disintegrated instead). No wonder the devs want to sell a DLc with "more deaths", they didn't finish the product or they're overtly greedy.
Speaking of that, is it just me or are like 40% of those animations with the upper head chopped off? It's like they made one damage model and just shoved it in as many times as possible, even when it doesn't make sense.

Probably laziness, yeah.

upd. I checked another video and you are correct.

Like wtf? Even when it's only the the jaw supposed to be removed its upper half of the face anyways. Lazy cocksuckers.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
It's pretty much that, yep. Even when it shouldn't make sense.

Also, I believe a very early video of this game had the MC cursing like hell during a death animation which made it unintentionally hilarious, but it is sadly absent here.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Finished it.

Fun little romp in horror shooter space, I enjoyed myself, clocking in at 14 hours total on hardest difficulity.
Story was so-so but still engaging and fun.

If you wanna compare it to other space horror or survival horror, than yea it might be a bit lackluster, and that's fine.
I would have liked abit more varied enemy design, puzzles, and maybe guns too, and a bit more fleshed out level design but
It is what it is, i got my moneys worth.

Jacob isn't "guilty" in the eyes of others, no more than he just feels guilty to himself for being able to have figured out, that he was delivering bioweapons to the wrong people.
Nobody outright blames him in the story tho.. so.

JDR13

Arcane
Finished it.

Fun little romp in horror shooter space, I enjoyed myself, clocking in at 14 hours total on hardest difficulity.
How hard is Hard? I've seen some people say it just makes the enemies damage sponges.

Psquit

Arcane
Ok, so for those who finished the game or saw the ending or the whole game on Youtube, how exactly is Jacob to blame for the Europa disaster?
He opens the secret compartment of the vaccines he was transporting while looking at the cylindrical tubes his friend confronts him about the shady shit they are transporting, Jacob replies with "not our business" and then continues with the back and forth of shipments. From what I understand is that he repressed that memory to cope with what he had done. Until he comes to terms with it in the final chapter. The whole I could have stopped it! was pointless since he was a dude paid to transport the virus, they could have gotten another one easily

How hard is Hard? I've seen some people say it just makes the enemies damage sponges.
2 or 3 taps and you're out for common enemies, 1 tap for bosses. Also enemies take more damage.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
He opens the secret compartment of the vaccines he was transporting while looking at the cylindrical tubes his friend confronts him about the shady shit they are transporting, Jacob replies with "not our business" and then continues with the back and forth of shipments. From what I understand is that he repressed that memory to cope with what he had done. Until he comes to terms with it in the final chapter. The whole I could have stopped it! was pointless since he was a dude paid to transport the virus, they could have gotten another one easily
Yeah but did he know what they were? When he remembers at the end we only see that he refuses to open the cylinder to look inside and if he did would he have known the importance of the thing? He didn't care nor did he seem to understand really even if he saw the organism. Could have been a recently discovered species of some extinct life form. IDK. My whole point of this is that is feels very forced. "Do you feel sorry for the thing that you somehow, indirectly, unknowingly caused? Are you sorry? You should be." Uhm, yeah, no.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't recognize the art style of this comic, so i guess it was not the one i read. I only read the one where Childs
It's one story part of the thing I have downloaded. It's called: The Thing From Another World Omnibus (2008) (Dark Horse)

Psquit

Arcane
Yeah but did he know what they were?
His friend was kinda putting two and two together that's why they were arguing at the beginning of the game, but yeah it's forced.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Finished it.

Honestly, it's not very hard. I rarely used melee alot, and I had plenty of credits to craft ammo and weapons n shit. Just be efficient with your shots and stop wasting ammo, thats a no brainer.
the GRP arm thing is very good to kill most stuff and throw it around.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yeah but did he know what they were? When he remembers at the end we only see that he refuses to open the cylinder to look inside and if he did would he have known the importance of the thing? He didn't care nor did he seem to understand really even if he saw the organism. Could have been a recently discovered species of some extinct life form. IDK. My whole point of this is that is feels very forced. "Do you feel sorry for the thing that you somehow, indirectly, unknowingly caused? Are you sorry? You should be." Uhm, yeah, no.
People are sorry for all kind of things irl too, it's not really unrealistic at all, humans are very flawed. Considering all that jacob has been through and seen, all the shit, its natural he would feel some sort of guilt about it all, since he is basically the catalyst.. thats normal.

Nobody in the game is saying its jacobs fault, once its found out, that he is actually "innocent" or unknowning. stop making shit up dude.
game is fine.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I checked the death animation compilation and some monsters lack unique deaths, instead your MC ragdolls lifelessly

That's really funny when it happens. Huge blob of acid/mucus hits you in the face, character stands a second then realizing that he should be dead and gives up and dies...

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
As usual poorfags that can't afford current hardware tank the PC scores, this is why game devs hate PC users people. Waaah waaah, why doesn't this state of the art game run on smooth as silk my Pentium dual-core from 2007??? The Glen has done it again and Morgoth is seething hard postin some no-name youtuber reviews as if it means something. Mark my fucking words this game will be looked back on as a classic next gen.
Yeah those fucking poors with their 4090s and 12900ks complaining about unplayable shader cache stutter on a popamole game that looks 12% better than 15 year old dead space

They deserve everything they get for buying a 4090 to play console ports.

This gay cunt is in near tears, now that's a survival horror experience.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
How is the PC version after the performance patch?
Fine. No stutters at all. The game does require good hardware to run 60-90 fps at 1440p or higher at maxed settings, even with RT off. so. the graphics are top notch tho

Psquit

Arcane
Nobody in the game is saying its jacobs fault, once its found out, that he is actually "innocent" or unknowning. stop making shit up dude.
The Asian waifu was for a huge chunk of the game, the corpse of your friend that taunts you, the black dude antagonist saying "you're not innocent" even himself admits his guilt.

People are sorry for all kind of things irl too, it's not really unrealistic at all, humans are very flawed.
Yeah, but if you're gonna hire actors for your B-movie schlock at least take the effort in making something worth watching (You can't skip cutscenes).

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The Asian waifu was for a huge chunk of the game, the corpse of your friend that taunts you, the black dude antagonist saying "you're not innocent" even himself admits his guilt.

People are sorry for all kind of things irl too, it's not really unrealistic at all, humans are very flawed.
Yeah, but if you're gonna hire actors for your B-movie schlock at least take the effort in making something worth watching (You can't skip cutscenes).
Dani thought Jacob was deliberately transfering the bioweapon with intent to hurt people, which was why she initially tried to sabotage his ship and kill him or whatever.. he didn't fully know tho. He was careless, and that makes him guilty in the eyes of himself and perhaps his co-partner.. overall, its a grey area.
Objectively he might not be 100 % innocent, as Cole says, but eh its a grey area as I just said.

Honestly I found jacob and danis dialogue quite down to earth and nothing stupid or b-movie to me, I mean how are characters like that gonna react realistically to a situation like that anyway?
Cole was perhaps abit stock villainly, but thats most horror games so.

Nothing about the cutscenes felt particularly off for me, the story could have been fleshed out more, but i guess thats the dlc

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
So, the problem wasn't EA.
someone needs to make a list of all the developers that faceplanted after throwing off the chains of oppression(publishers)
There is definitely a trend, but this can just the general trend of decreasing quality, not only for indies. We can check this theory by comparing Callisto with the upcoming Dead Space remake.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So, the problem wasn't EA.
someone needs to make a list of all the developers that faceplanted after throwing off the chains of oppression(publishers)
There is definitely a trend, but this can just the general trend of decreasing quality, not only for indies. We can check this theory by comparing Callisto with the upcoming Dead Space remake.
Yeah, DSR isn't looking great.
They did a bunch of woke shit and made the necromorph designs worse. Slashers look more rotted and generic.
The game play will probably be fine, but then again they would just have to copy the original's gameplay so no real work there.

I don't understand why they just couldn't update the graphics and improve compatibility. No one asked for Kendra to look like a bland blob, for Isaac to speak or for Nicole to look 30 years older.
Hell, did DS even need an update? Doesn't it work fine on modern systems?

Absolute decline. All cutscenes and credits should be skippable. No exception.

Hell, did DS even need an update? Doesn't it work fine on modern systems?
All it needs is an easy to find mouse fix dll and a 60 fps cap set outside the game from the graphics card control panel and it runs fine (last I played anyways). That saves everybody 60-70 dollars and avoids the uglification of past art.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Holy shit, YUGE performance difference with the new patch. Now it's only the gameplay mechanics, story and atmosphere that suck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom