Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
The book's art is really awesome!

EDIT: Wait, what

AJMFHRg.png

Krieg der Sterne!

Of course, who the fuck am I to make fun of it, in Hungarian it's Csillagok Háborúja

Last edited:

dextermorgan

Arcane
Does anyone know how to submit a request for a change to CDDA?

I want to request a change to the Razor Girl's starting CBM's to give her the Protective lenses. Since It's strange to me that the Molly Millions class doesn't start with the CBM that directly references her. I tried the Discord but I don't have the skills to create or submit the request.
Do you want Anti-Glare Compensators replaced with Protective Lenses, or have Protective Lenses added on top?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
A guy on reddit posted the german Guidebook for NETHACK from 1989!

BBdUyp1.jpg

NETHACK - das Amulett von Yendor

Although not everyone speaks german, this is a nice contemporary document and it gives a glance of how gaming was, before the internet.

Big thanks to Thege0815 for uploading!

That's awesome. I'd love an English version.

I know the man who probably would be interest init, as he plays old games - like these proto-roguelikes as Moria etc and write an article on them after that.

If he can provide a translation, that'd be great.

Echo Mirage

Arcane

I want to request a change to the Razor Girl's starting CBM's to give her the Protective lenses. Since It's strange to me that the Molly Millions class doesn't start with the CBM that directly references her. I tried the Discord but I don't have the skills to create or submit the request.
Do you want Anti-Glare Compensators replaced with Protective Lenses, or have Protective Lenses added on top?

Added on top. I asked on the discord if it was possible to at some point merge the two into one CBM but beyond the concept I have no idea how it would work in the code. But a custom Razor Girl with both CMB's will do just fine.

dextermorgan

Arcane

Added on top. I asked on the discord if it was possible to at some point merge the two into one CBM but beyond the concept I have no idea how it would work in the code. But a custom Razor Girl with both CMB's will do just fine.
Here's your pull request, now I guess we need to see if Kevin accepts it or goes on one of his diatribes instead.

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/32576

Uncle Skull

Educated
From the dev of DoomRL. This is what he and the others have been working on for a couple of years now since they cant sell Doomrl anymore due to Zenimax.

Also featuring the guy who voice acted Sheapard in ass effect for some reason.

PrettyDeadman

Interestingly looking roguelike with fully destructible voxel environments:

Looks somewhat like cogmind (you play as a drone and swap its parts).
Have anyone played it or should I be the one to bite the bullet?

buffalo bill

Arcane
level-12-invoker.png

Just ascended (/descended) in the newest build of Infra Arcana with a level 12 invoker. Last level was a breeze compared to last time I got this far with an occultist—I basically didn't use any of the malign potions I'd been saving, just spammed darkbolt and molotovs (and used enfeeble scrolls on the rogue and ghoul goons). Invocation might be slightly OP now, even though the game is still crazy hard (I relied on stealth pretty heavily the last ten levels or so).

Took me 32 tries.
Great game.

Last edited:

Trash Player

Scholar
IA has always been very steath heavy in the last dive. Is it harder now with less stealh and speed upgrades for non-rogues?

buffalo bill

Arcane
IA has always been very steath heavy in the last dive. Is it harder now with less stealh and speed upgrades for non-rogues?
The changes to the dexterity tree make it a bit worse probably, but invoker is pretty damn OP, which seems to make up for it. A bigger thing for me is that cool headed and courageous are now basically required early game with the bigger maps, which makes non-combat occultists squishy as hell early on. With invoker at least you can cast aura of decay and back down a corridor to kill just about any early level enemy, but my more recent attempts with a clairvoyant have gone nowhere. I think a clairvoyant with dexterous, lithe, a pitchfork and maxed premonition would work pretty well, but I'm having trouble seeing how I can get there (though clairvoyants level up faster with extra xp from spotting hidden doors and traps, so it might be doable).

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

Well, now you can since Zorbus release 18 has:
  • sound effects!
  • online leaderboard
  • quickstart with a random character
  • exchange items with companions / equip them
http://www.zorbus.net

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I played it. It was okay.

We need more! Tell us more!
I put a few hours into it, and I give it a 'meh'. It feels like a VERY stripped down DoomRL. Some of the streamlined things are good, and some are just signs of it being early in development (though it's been a pretty long development iirc) but others are signs of it being dumbed down on purpose for the usual depressing reasons. There's no mutually exclusive traits any more, inventory can no longer carry extra armor or weapons, and the actual positioning/gunplay no longer has any real art to it like the original did. Weapons don't have alt fire modes and the excuses I've seen on the steam forums have frequently been 'Well that'd look bad in 3D' or 'but controllers don't have enough buttons' and 'dumb people would find that confusing'. If it'd been made by anyone else I'd have refunded it, but I feel like I owe the dude some shekels for all the fun I got out of DoomRL. I've got a shred of hope for it's future, but it's based entirely on how DoomRL turned out, not what I've seen in this game so far.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Fun build :
1jqXQox.png

I died on 18th floor to an alarm trap with many enemies close, staff of conjuration and discord "ready" but teleporation charm unready, an unidentified plate armor in my inventory (I did not put it on). I did not handle the situation the best I could, I can't say for sure if it was doable or not.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I vaguely recall stealth being very hard to pull off in the lategame due to lava being everywhere and I think your stealth range also just goes up the deeper you go? But getting a win is probably doable. I wonder how it interacts with the staff that makes crystal walls? Can you wall yourself up and have everything wander away?

Covenant

Savant
That's why I love Codex - people actually playing games.
Yeah. I'm always a bit disappointed, to be honest, that more people don't post accounts of their games in this thread. I mean, the great thing about roguelikes is that every game is different, and that it can end in success or failure - it's not simply a test of attrition. I always enjoy seeing people post about their games in progress, or their victories or defeats, but there's not much of that here. Maybe it being a sticky is keeping the thread hidden-in-plain-sight?

I played it. It was okay.

We need more! Tell us more!

I put a few hours into it, and I give it a 'meh'. It feels like a VERY stripped down DoomRL. Some of the streamlined things are good, and some are just signs of it being early in development (though it's been a pretty long development iirc) but others are signs of it being dumbed down on purpose for the usual depressing reasons. There's no mutually exclusive traits any more, inventory can no longer carry extra armor or weapons, and the actual positioning/gunplay no longer has any real art to it like the original did. Weapons don't have alt fire modes and the excuses I've seen on the steam forums have frequently been 'Well that'd look bad in 3D' or 'but controllers don't have enough buttons' and 'dumb people would find that confusing'. If it'd been made by anyone else I'd have refunded it, but I feel like I owe the dude some shekels for all the fun I got out of DoomRL. I've got a shred of hope for it's future, but it's based entirely on how DoomRL turned out, not what I've seen in this game so far.

Damn, that's pretty gutting to hear. Particularly that it's stripped down - it's not like DoomRL had miles of complexity as it as, and most of what was complex was relatively clunky (assemblies, for example).

Always sad to see when casualisation arrives at the shores of an RPG of decent stock. I guess it's easy for smaller devs to get seduced into appealing to this hypothetically endless mass-market, but then you forget that you only have fans in the first place because they like the niche thing you're offering; the more you step out of that niche, the less you have to offer them.

I'll say this for the ToME guy; aside from removing shit like the breeding pits, he didn't casualise his game at all when he started looking at that wider market. I respect that, even if I sometimes get kinda annoyed by his laissez-faire approach to balance.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
stealth range also just goes up the deeper you go?
I don't know if it does but I think with a +11 ring the monsters still only noticed me if they incidentally bumped into me on 25th floor, or if it's false it's very close, so it's really possible to reach the lowest floors.

A very similar game since all my fighting dudes in-between barely managed to pass the 10th floor (I mean, the few ones who actually did pass it), with a +3 ring of stealth at the beginning as well as a teleportation charm once again. The Staff of blinking was very good too in this one.
QUlHgLD.png

I fucked up this last part again, I was so focused on blinking myself into the stairs when the furies let me pass that I did not try to killing them (well, have them kill each other) using the staffs of discord which was the right move ; it was not even dead yet anyway since the teleportation charm was ready (the wand was not identified) but I thought I was one more hit away from dying from the tentacle monster, just used my staff of discord on a fury and died.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
aside from removing shit like the breeding pits

I's my gult (or victory) - I whined about it, that it's a bit ... eh, hard thing. For me personally. I was reserved as possibly.
I didn't asked to cut it off afair, just for option to switch it off somehow.
And then...

getter77

Augur
Keep the faith on Jupiter Hell folks---it released in early Early access, but enough to where now they can get vengeance laden momentum on their side with the tech generally tamed. First content update of many to come lands in about a week or so at that with the roadmap being strong indeed even with what has been revealed thus far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom