Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Shadenuat

Arcane
Using it as a backup weapon might work, but I found estoc and bandit axe better at that. Estoc's R2 is a strong slash with funny tracking (it tracks better when not locked on).
And I just love my ax.

Avelyn now is truly shit. The delay when you're getting it out, my god... completely useless even for finishing ppl. I might have to resort to spells again.

And all the buffs completely ruin pvp for me. I especially "like" when people with 2-5 buffs summon me and then cast magic lock on me, so I can't buff. Then bow and try to raep me, and bow gallantly if they win.
Faggots.

Summoning dragonbros is the only fun way to pvp.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
The constant buffing is why I don't infuse most of my weapons with elemental stuff; it's a good fall back. I definitely use profound still all the time. IMO, honor doesn't exist when being invaded or when ganged... but for summoned 1v1? Sounds like asshattery to not show some courtesy.

I think you should find fightclubs mang; always had good fun with those. Or try hosting some?

praetor

Arcane
again from reddit: new meta incoming, apparently. same as old with the addition of Blue Tearstone ring that increases your phys def under 30% HP by a further 35% and stacks with numbness

edit:
EBY3MY7.png

Murk

Arcane
Hahahaha god I love this stuff

Question on buffs: is crystal magic weapon better (bigger damage boost) than dark weapon? Assuming equal BNS/stats and no infusion

According to wiki they are all a flat +50 and also +30% to pre-existing damage (except flame, which is 20%) but wiki is not always right so...

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I'd normally dismiss any nostalgia argument out of hand. However, I'm currently replaying DeS and have already seen more hitbox bullshit (though some of it seems more like enemies having iframes tbh)

Enemies have iframes in DaS, if main character has iframes during rolls and some attacks why not his opponents?
Mostly spearmen. Recognize the situation, and either block them or parry them.

Enemies in all the Souls games have iframes on animations where it makes sense (like backsteps and other dodge-like moves). That spearman attack though isn't noticably different from any other weapon swing, so why the fuck does it arbitrarily have iframes? It's retarded. As if all the arbitrary hyperarmor wasn't bad enough.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I seen it only on that large swing with the spear. If it didn't have iframes, you could simply whack at him during the start of the attack without problem instead of dodging, parrying, or blocking.

praetor

Arcane
speaking of stupid spearmen... in DaS2 they are in a "blocking state" even when they bash you with their shield so they only take a fraction of damage (they also have a stupid hitbox that apparently goes all around them [i've been hit when i was standing behind their shield arm when they were poking], but whatever)

edit: oh, and the water hollows in amana have "random iframes". i've lost count of the times my weapon went right through them (iirc, it happened only when they were in the water, so there might be a connection here...)

edit2: apparently, in an interview it was said that each of the DLC areas will be as big as FotFG, making the grand total size of the 3 DLCs combined roughly the size of 1.5 AotA... if true, that means double the price for 50% more content.

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
speaking of stupid spearmen... in DaS2 they are in a "blocking state" even when they bash you with their shield so they only take a fraction of damage (they also have a stupid hitbox that apparently goes all around them [i've been hit when i was standing behind their shield arm when they were poking], but whatever)

edit: oh, and the water hollows in amana have "random iframes". i've lost count of the times my weapon went right through them (iirc, it happened only when they were in the water, so there might be a connection here...)

edit2: apparently, in an interview it was said that each of the DLC areas will be as big as FotFG, making the grand total size of the 3 DLCs combined roughly the size of 1.5 AotA... if true, that means double the price for 50% more content.

Maybe it's a question of engine familiarity? Honestly, DeS combat feels kinda rough in similar ways to DaS2 combat, while DaS1 has none of these issues (or maybe I just don't remember any? Only hitbox problem in that game I recall was with some of Havel's swings). DeS and DaS1 use the same engine, so maybe the next game on their new one (Bloodborne) will have more polished combat again? I can already imagine neofag praising their god emperor Miyazaki for personally tuning every hitbox to perfection.

praetor

Arcane

Maybe it's a question of engine familiarity? Honestly, DeS combat feels kinda rough in similar ways to DaS2 combat, while DaS1 has none of these issues (or maybe I just don't remember any? Only hitbox problem in that game I recall was with some of Havel's swings). DeS and DaS1 use the same engine, so maybe the next game on their new one (Bloodborne) will have more polished combat again? I can already imagine neofag praising their god emperor Miyazaki for personally tuning every hitbox to perfection.

yeah, it definitely feels like DaS1 had the best hitboxes. the only other example that comes to mind is the gaping dragon charging attack

K so cleared forest of giants, hiede tower, no mans wharf, huntsman copse and blue cathedral, lv60 with 20 attunement/40 int/16str/9dex. Soul spear+ 2*great soul arrow+ yearn, with +3 fire sword and dragonelic shield is making my mage boss. :lol:
cant find enough fucking large titanite chunk for upgrading catalyst though.

Aiming to get some more stamina/health to not be one shotted now.

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It's much easier to max a normal weapon, and it feels like endgame is balanced for it (having a +10 Greatsword in Drangleic Castle doesn't trivialize it). On the other hand, materials for special weapons (Twinking Titanite and Dragon Bones) only really start appearing in decent numbers close to the end.

Upgrading a weapon will always give you a better return than levelling stats in terms of souls invested, so upgrade away if you have something you like swinging.

Murk

Arcane
I assume you mean for PVP? Doesn't really matter anymore since leveling doesn't determine match-making.

For PVE? Whatever; my puncher guy leveled str/dex/end before anything else (upgraded caestus whenever convenient).

For more conventional builds I would say get the stats you need for the weapon/spells you want then hold off cuz it won't matter much (unless you are raising vit and vigor; man they really should switch those two stat names around).

Mystary!

Arcane
Yeah those skill names suck.
I meant in PvE. I started as a sorcerer because I never tried any kind of spellcasting in Dark Souls and wanted a different experience, but spamming Soul Arrow isnt my idea of fun. Melee is so much more rewarding.
I got enough str/dex to wield Fire Longsword and been focusing on endurance/hp, but the gains are so small that it just feels like a waste.

Murk

Arcane
nah, it pays off. even 30 hp per level is a big deal.

also, if you want 'rewarding' (read: powerful) magic then use hexes or miracles.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
FInally starting to feel closer to godlike. Decided to upgrade the black knight greatsword, so settled on that build. Originally was using Black Knight HAlberd, but I didn't like the moveset.

Only thing that's given me problems lately was that bloody Rat boss fight in the pharos tomb. The Rat itself wasn't terribly hard, but the opening where you have to kill 5 toxic rats in 10 seconds before the boss drops sucked, mostly because their hitboxes were all fucked up so it was incredibly difficult to hit them with a great sword. So it was a random crap shoot if I'd be able to kill them or if the sword would just pass through their heads.

Will I regret it if I eat all my boss souls? I've read the boss weapons aren't terribly great and I have no interest in PVP or NG+ so I plan on being done when I'm done.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
where can i find/buy large titanite chunks? need to upgrade catalyst and fire longS

Fastest way is to join the Bell Keeper Covenant. Each invader in the tower killed is a chunk. Otherwise, a certain NPC sells these too if you proceeded to a certain part of the story.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Will I regret it if I eat all my boss souls? I've read the boss weapons aren't terribly great and I have no interest in PVP or NG+ so I plan on being done when I'm done.

I've played through the first 3 of my characters without ever creating a boss weapon ever, did occasional PvP and so on. Ate all the boss souls. You don't miss out if you don't plan to do PvP imo.

Murk

Arcane
The worm things in black gulch drop chunks too -- and they are easy to kill from 2nd bonfire. Just shoot a fire arrow into their pool, and they will burn to death. They also drop large shards. Gyrm warriors drop chunks as well, albeit at a lower rate (or rather, it is longer to farm them -- but they drop other goodies).

Bellkeeper cov = 1 chunk per host killed, and since you usually are a 2 man crew its easy to gank the host.

I like some boss weapons, so IMO it's a bad idea to burn them for 6-16k souls, especially since there are enemies that give as much but whatever. Some of them are for spells, some for shields, so maybe only burn the ones for weapons you are 100% you don't need. Tho really you're better off just using an aesetic and killing the rotten for souls early on, or any other '4 old soul' boss.

Chaotic_Heretic Heretic, you keep saying "large chunks" -- do you mean large shards or chunks?

Juan_Carlo looks like you already killed it, but if you are faith then heavenly thunder does wonders. If you are not a caster, then temporarily equipping an attunement ring and a pyro glove for fire-storm also does the trick.

--------------

unrelated: any Katana users? Do they all have some weird pseudo-phantom range thing going on? Or am I just coincidentally seeing lag + katana user? Fucking katanas, god I hate them in damn near every game

The worm things in black gulch drop chunks too -- and they are easy to kill from 2nd bonfire. Just shoot a fire arrow into their pool, and they will burn to death. They also drop large shards. Gyrm warriors drop chunks as well, albeit at a lower rate (or rather, it is longer to farm them -- but they drop other goodies).

Bellkeeper cov = 1 chunk per host killed, and since you usually are a 2 man crew its easy to gank the host.

I like some boss weapons, so IMO it's a bad idea to burn them for 6-16k souls, especially since there are enemies that give as much but whatever. Some of them are for spells, some for shields, so maybe only burn the ones for weapons you are 100% you don't need. Tho really you're better off just using an aesetic and killing the rotten for souls early on, or any other '4 old soul' boss.

Chaotic_Heretic Heretic, you keep saying "large chunks" -- do you mean large shards or chunks?

Juan_Carlo looks like you already killed it, but if you are faith then heavenly thunder does wonders. If you are not a caster, then temporarily equipping an attunement ring and a pyro glove for fire-storm also does the trick.

--------------

unrelated: any Katana users? Do they all have some weird pseudo-phantom range thing going on? Or am I just coincidentally seeing lag + katana user? Fucking katanas, god I hate them in damn near every game
large shard I guess? to get weapon above the piddly +3

Murk

Arcane
Yeah, large shards. The following enemies drop those:

Big hammer guys in harvest valley earthen peak (the ones with the giant hammer that are shirtless, they hit like a ... well, a hammer tho).

The worm things in black gulch.

Gyrm warriors (not sure but I think regular gyrms do too)

Spider possessed humans in Tseldora

Also, 2 NPCs sell them. One, a lady, has 10 for sale but then sells an unlimited amount in the end game. Another NPC, a male, sells them for 2500 souls (has unlimited supply), check the spoiler below if you want info on how to access him. Note, he also just has a bunch near him you can take.

McDuff, the blacksmith in Lost Bastille. To get to him you can do the real way or the short cut.

The real way: get the lost bastille key by killing the gargoyles in belfry luna (accessed with a pharros lockstone from room below Servants' Quarters bonfire). Use key to open his door.

The short cut: Near his area is a mummy jailer (the one with the cape and the big scythe thing) standing near a barrel. Push the barrel down, it should blow up on contact with the wall that has a big crack in it. If it doesn't, then just use any fire item (fire arrow, fire bomb, fire elemental weapon) and blow up the barrel yourself. It will blow up the wall and permanently give you access to the bonfire.

McDuff is hollowing and won't sell you shit tho until you bring him the Dull Ember from the Old Iron Keep. It's the item on the corpse hanging off the stairway right near the first captain with a greatbow who snipes you from around the corner when you first get to the area where Smelter Demon is. Once you have the ember, McDuff will sell, infuse, repair, and reinforce your gear.

He has chests around him that have shards, you can take them all except one chest he is leaning on. To get to that chest, grant him his wish and provide some flaaammee (light the sconce in his workshop with your torch; conveniently near the bonfire) and after you 'reload' (rest at a bonfire) he will move to the anvil freeing up the chest that has a better hammer + some twinkling titanite if I am not mistaken.

Lemme know if you need any specific directions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom