Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Even though the area looks like shit, I'm hoping that we'll get at a nice long dungeon to explore.

Murk

Arcane
it seems awfully bright for an underground cavern

for a game supposedly obsessed with fire and flames it sure doesn't give you much reason to use fire, other than to blast people in the face

Murk

Arcane
That shot: specifically the coloring, the rocks, the 'wet' ground, and the skin color/design of the monsters is very similar to the Demon of the Song fight arena (same coloring, similar rocks, wet ground, and the boss has similar skin type/tone).

I can imagine those are tadpoles or something like it.

EDIT: I also realize why I thought sunlight blade was the most obnoxious buff ever; that stupid fucking sound it makes that no other weapon buff makes.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Game isn't actually dark for the same reason Thief 3 couldn't be - consoletards mostly own shitty TVs with awful black levels. Fortunately you can mod it to look pretty close to pre-downgrade if you don't mind being hugely disadvantaged in PvP.

care to provide some examples? i haven't played it in years 'cause honestly it gets pretty friggin boring after 2-3 playthroughs and i really don't care for it so much to go through it again

Had my mace pass through the spear soldiers in 1-1 without doing anything, and it wasn't hyper armor, because no damage registered either. Both times it happened, it was during the same animation, so my working theory is that they have arbitrary iframes. Maybe some kind of hyperarmor bug.

Also had a similar thing happen with dogs in 2-1, but that looked like normal hitbox shenanigans. Axe passed right through a dog, did nothing. Also tried to evade an overhead pickaxe swing twice, got hit both times after finishing the roll animation, even though I was nowhere near the point of impact.

I'd make a video of it, but consoles.gif. Can't even take a fucking screenshot.

that guy from gametrailers said that new area is much more vertical with lots of branching paths and almost no dead ends or simple long corridors.

it might be good spot for invasions like good old Oolacile Townshit:troll:

DS2-noscale.jpg

DS3-noscale.jpg

DS5-noscale.jpg

Kanedias

Savant
The area looks very cool, but I'm not a fan of the creature design. I hope there are other enemies we haven't seen.

Murk

Arcane
This that Tanimura (sp?) rush people raving about?

fun fact: the foot soldier sword has 25 poise break -- I plan to test this out with it and a varangian sword sometime soon

Kanedias

Savant
This that Tanimura (sp?) rush people raving about?

fun fact: the foot soldier sword has 25 poise break -- I plan to test this out with it and a varangian sword sometime soon

Drakekeeper Sword has 25 poisebreak as well. With stone ring, it breaks through any poise.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'd normally dismiss any nostalgia argument out of hand. However, I'm currently replaying DeS and have already seen more hitbox bullshit (though some of it seems more like enemies having iframes tbh)

Enemies have iframes in DaS, if main character has iframes during rolls and some attacks why not his opponents?
Mostly spearmen. Recognize the situation, and either block them or parry them.

Murk

Arcane
Kanedias I have shit all luck at getting the drake keeper sword mang =( I exhausted the drake keepers with full farming gear and NOTHING

I got the OLD mirrah greatsword (same shit as lucatiel's mirrah greatsword), got like 3 channeler's tridents and 5 demon greathammers and blah blah blah that I don't care about but not one drake keepers word =(

Kanedias

Savant
It's quite rare, but it's much better than the Foot Soldier Sword. At 40/40 it has exactly the same AR as the Sun Sword (which has A/A scaling) because of its high base damage. It can be a pain to farm, though. I almost always need to use an ascetic to respawn the sword and board drakekeepers.

Kanedias I have shit all luck at getting the drake keeper sword mang =( I exhausted the drake keepers with full farming gear and NOTHING

I got the OLD mirrah greatsword (same shit as lucatiel's mirrah greatsword), got like 3 channeler's tridents and 5 demon greathammers and blah blah blah that I don't care about but not one drake keepers word =(

Dude I have like 1203123 of them in my item box. If you're on Steam in the 15+ mil SM range I can drop 'em for you.

It's quite rare, but it's much better than the Foot Soldier Sword. At 40/40 it has exactly the same AR as the Sun Sword (which has A/A scaling) because of its high base damage. It can be a pain to farm, though. I almost always need to use an ascetic to respawn the sword and board drakekeepers.

At 99/99 sun sword does 30 more damage. Now that's a quality build.

:troll:

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane

Dude I have like 1203123 of them in my item box. If you're on Steam in the 15+ mil SM range I can drop 'em for you.

At 99/99 sun sword does 30 more damage. Now that's a quality build.

:troll:

HRMMM I am almost at sun sword with sun medals, so I might just go for that since my... uhh... character has particularly high str/dex as well... :}

tho it does look p dope with that fat blade. I am a sucker for broadswords =(

I do like the pokeyness of the foot soldier sword tho, it's r2 is very rapier like

HRMMM I am almost at sun sword with sun medals, so I might just go for that since my... uhh... character has particularly high str/dex as well... :}

tho it does look p dope with that fat blade. I am a sucker for broadswords =(

I do like the pokeyness of the foot soldier sword tho, it's r2 is very rapier like

Sun sword only has 20 poise damage but I'm pretty sure that's irrelevant. Foot Soldier's has an almost identical moveset to Sun Sword too. Dat 20 durability though.

Murk

Arcane
true, but 99 repair powder and invasions n stuff

friggin' syans breaks every 5 seconds anyway -- its moveset has it hit the damn ground or something

I am just getting tired of black dragon GS and mastodon GS -- and I friggin hate the drangleic/mirrah/defender 2hand r1

It's not the ground it hits - someone dodging right through the weapon degrades it really fast for some reason.

That 2H R1 is the worst move in the game. Some people use that exclusively and they never stop mashing it.

Murk

Arcane
its surprisingly fast swing but has a shitty recovery time, and I don't like the range

oh its' a no-clip degradation thing? like with friendly mastodons in doors of pharros

Murk

Arcane
time to suck up my own words I guess; 4th drake keeper I killed gave me the sword

the tactic worked, and I felt so dirty doing it =(

p.s anyone needs help with bosses in 15mil+ range let me know I needs me some medals

sorry bros but im gonna take a moment to brag:

had a 3 man gank on me (2 grey, 1 blue) and I fucked their asses upppp

first grey, goes down like a legit mang

second grey, sneaks up but i dodge before he can do shit and the fight begins -- blue mage comes in and starts spamming soul spear

I line up and have the soul spear go through me and hit the grey and land a few hits on him, then have to dodge away -- profound still, and fight the mage a bit -- in the end, the mage died because of the other guys light spear that I dodge away from (lining them upppp, auto target sure has perks)

last grey, shield turtle -- fumble with equipping my shotel for a bit but get it on and its gg

they were both targeting me but I managed to get them to both hit each other, its like some kind of bag floating in the wind or something

feels good man, feels good

ALSO met like 4 people in the 2 hours I am playing doing the double straight sword schtick; apparently the 'pain train' wasn't enough for them to figure it out but this last video was

jesus, its like a video comes out and for 3 days the new meta is to be a copycat (not that I am innocent of it, but I stopped after 1 fight)

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
time to suck up my own words I guess; 4th drake keeper I killed gave me the sword
Wasted your time imo, straight swords are easy to parry and overleveled havel's won't even notice your combos. With normal END (40-50) it's only ~6 hits for you too.
Maybe if you make them mundane it will work.

praetor

Arcane

i have two i don't plan on using, but i don't have the Warpick for my Grunbeld :( if only you were on PeaSant3...

edit:
fun fact (hopefully it's true): shield piercing weapons go through Gower's ring

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Wasted your time imo, straight swords are easy to parry and overleveled havel's won't even notice your combos. With normal END (40-50) it's only ~6 hits for you too.
Maybe if you make them mundane it will work.

I too, am a turtle butt =( -- currently it has more attack as regular scale than mundane with 50/50 str and dex

but it works well, as I needed a decent fast attack weapon -- for example, lance spammers are hard to hit with a greatsword as by the time I swing (after dodging their charge) they roll away. The straight sword is quick and has good tracking, so I can hit coming up from the roll. Worked well so far, and its good when chasing people down, too. Fucking bell keepers LOVE to run away when HP is low and next bellkeeper timer is soon.

I sometimes use the shotel as well but it's regular swing has a delay, tho its running attack is GREAT for chasing cuz you keep moving forward through the two attacks

praetor I read that on reddit too -- haven't tested yet, but am willing to with anyone on PC. tho Gower's breaks quickly enough as it is.

Unrelated: encountered 3 parry spammers today and they are way too easy to get around. I am paranoid of them, so now whenever I see a 'parry tool' like a buckler, rapier, dagger or whatever else I always test the waters first with a two handed 'block' near them after running up to see if they flinch. If they do, then I get rid of lock on and start getting weird. Ranged weapons are a godsend here, and fast attack weapons are great to punish their parry animation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom