Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Kanedias

Savant
It's interesting how the PC version has a rather inactive red arena but apparently a good amount of red invaders, at least from what I have seen from streams/reddit.

On the PS3 version I get instant matches in the arena but I almost never get invaded by reds, to the point where I get at most one invasion per playthrough, sometimes none at all.

I wonder why this difference between platforms exists, if it's an effect of the community being different or what.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
It's interesting how the PC version has a rather inactive red arena but apparently a good amount of red invaders, at least from what I have seen from streams/reddit.

On the PS3 version I get instant matches in the arena but I almost never get invaded by reds, to the point where I get at most one invasion per playthrough, sometimes none at all.

I wonder why this difference between platforms exists, if it's an effect of the community being different or what.

"PC Master race" are actually degenerates while PS3 players are honorable warriors. :smug:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Finished!

I plan on starting Skyrim for the first time later this week (yeah, I've never played it before). Will it be as good as Dark Souls? Only time can tell!

dont forget to do full playthrough of oblivion and fallout 3 as well you faggot

I actually am going to start Skyrim next week, but was being tongue in cheek about it being as good as Dark Souls. My expectations aren't high, but I like TES as hiking simulators/world exploration games.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I actually am going to start Skyrim next week, but was being tongue in cheek about it being as good as Dark Souls. My expectations aren't high, but I like TES as hiking simulators/world exploration games.
Level scaling is horrible, and I didn't find mod that would completely disable level scaling.

Finished!

I plan on starting Skyrim for the first time later this week (yeah, I've never played it before). Will it be as good as Dark Souls? Only time can tell!

dont forget to do full playthrough of oblivion and fallout 3 as well you faggot

it works as a hiking simulator. it works even better with couple hundred mods . just be prepared for a lot of floaty, shalow , shitty combat. and shitty quests, shitty loot, awful guilds and overwhelming derpiness

Murk

Arcane
Is bastard sword upgrade worth investing titanite/souls early in the game for a STR guy?

Not really, you can find a claymore pretty early on... I'd say to not take it past +4 personally. The claymore has to be purchased, btw, from an unlikely merchant. Let me know if you want specific details.
yup, bro, I know how to get claymore, I just compared the stats and claymore has like +5 more base dmg - that's the the only difference I've noticed. Or the thing is Claymore has rising scaling with upgrade?

oh yeah and how's the Pursuer sword?

It's also a question of range; claymore has better range than bastard sword. It's one handed r2 is also a pretty nasty thing, that poke + follow up circle slash is slightly different than the other greatswords (goes the opposite rotation).

PUGS comes out to the same stats as the gatsu Greatsword (ugs) at full upgrade but it's one handed moveset is a bit... peculiar. Normal overhead smash followed by a quick side swipe. Has less range but yeah. Great for throwing people into the air tho (cheaters, nyahaha).

IMO currently I like the black dragon great sword the most for its 2 handed moveset, range, and that amazing one handed poke + follow up circle slash. You can easily get people 3 hits with it with no running attack necessary. If the mastodon GS had the one handed poke r2 I'd be all over it but it has that stupid overhead smash which is too slow.

Last edited:
Dude mastodon is so OP it hurts. BDGS has nothing on it. It almost seems like it deals strike damage instead of slash.

Murk

Arcane
My Mundane BDGS does almost as much damage as the Mastodon with the added perk of the range. But, I do alternate between the two. I'll probably start using Masto more cuz people are overusing the one handed r2 spam to the point where it's not longer as surprising.

Also, fuck these video intros. I appreciate people making videos, especially awesome ones, but FFS stop with this stupid 10 second intro bullshit you're on a youtube channel with 500 views not some weekly special jesus.

I'm really digging Crescent Axe. It's almost like a halberd but with a moveset that doesn't suck. Low split damage though.

Murk

Arcane
On the topic of axes, the drake keeper great axe is ridiculous; you can actually r1/l1 stun people with it.

made

Arcane
I like that upgrade mats seem to be more readily available than in DS1 so you get to play around with a wider variety of weapons. I used a spear and sword combo for the majority of the game, switched to a Claymore now and I'm tearing through stuff like never before - the move set is really nice. Game would probably have been a lot easier if I had done so from the start. That room with the stone guards and sentinels caused me a lot of grief so I resolved to L2P and and farmed the shit out of them until they stopped spawning.

800 deaths and I'm not even done with NG yet. :smug:

Murk

Arcane
Lloyds Talisman: The Story of Inefficacy

EDIT: was there some sekkrit update snuck in that told everyone to start using mundane daggers or something? Why am I seeing so many people with using 'em as a primary weapon?

EDIT 2: I actually got someone with a warmth + lingering flame trap. What the fuck.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
True, but these cats are just regular melee with it. Really fucks up a direct poke attack; as they close in and you end up not hitting them. It seems the best solution to a full stab is to go kiss the guy.

Side note: despite struggling and eventually getting a drake keeper sword, when doing the no bonfire run I got one off the first drake keeper I killed. What the fuck RNG, what the fuck.

I bring it up because it's my go to fast weapon now.

Is Syan's 2 handed r1 unparryable as well? Or just the 2 handed r2?

High level PVP is getting stupid. I blue-invade some havel guy and we fight; he chugs through all of his estus. Lloyds is too slow and doesn't last enough unless I wan to throw one every 30 seconds, which I don't. Also, he's using a dark malformed skull. My main weapon is on the verge of breaking so I swap to my off hand which is a spider's silk. guy wins through attrition as I couldn't heal and didn't want to run away and wait 10 minutes for warmth to do it. No joke, he used 12 sips. I fucking counted.

Later, he invades as a blue on me. Irony, right? In belfry Luna, I beat him down and he runs away and black crystals out when he has a sliver of HP remaining. He had the enhanced blue aura.

There is no victory so hollow =(

Last edited:
Syan's both 2H attacks are unparryable.

I've had plenty of badass tryhard invaders either ALT+F4 or black crystal on me.

Also, I feel bad for low level players infusing/buffing weapons. They just don't deal any damage after last calibration.

Last edited:

Kanedias

Savant
Yes, I have a SL 150 with a flame weapon Drakekeeper Sword and if the enemy has GMB and is overlevelled, I do no damage. Even with Forbidden Sun I do like 320 or so.

I have a faith build with a Heide Greatlance and it's the same deal. I go from completely annihilating people to doing no damage, depending on if they have GMB or how overlevelled they are. If they are SL 150 without GMB (like most non-faith builds) I can destroy them in seconds.

I wonder if my pyromancer character would do better infusing the Drakekeeper Sword with Raw. I have to think about it.

Murk

Arcane
Nearly all my weapons are non elemental now; I still cast dark weapon or flame weapon but it's really an afterthought. I think I have a lightning defender's sword and bow of want, and my magic catalysts of course.

I imagine we won't be seeing any patches or calibrations until the DLC at which point I guess the game's online future will be set (at least, for a while). My guess? Disappointment. As always, of course ;}

I just got the nicest guy in the BoB arena. No buffs, chugged all of his estus before fighting... Then I took 60% of his health with one hit... I felt like such an asshole with my 838 getup. SOUL MEMORY Y U DO DIS? I mean, BoB arena, why do you match me with whomever is available?

Murk

Arcane
My guy is standing outside of Smelter Demon's fog gate with a cardboard sign that says "will solo boss 4 gold medals".

I swear, if the damn host would just spam spells or fucking witching pots I'd be so happy.

My guy is standing outside of Smelter Demon's fog gate with a cardboard sign that says "will solo boss 4 gold medals".

I swear, if the damn host would just spam spells or fucking witching pots I'd be so happy.

Dude I'll be your host. What's your steam name?

Murk

Arcane
Mikayel

SM? I'm in 15mil+ (actually, more like 150mil +)

Huh.... you can powerstance a single fist weapon without the vanq seal. equip fist weapon on right hand, leave left empty, and you can powerstance.

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
Yes, I have a SL 150 with a flame weapon Drakekeeper Sword and if the enemy has GMB and is overlevelled, I do no damage. Even with Forbidden Sun I do like 320 or so.

I have a faith build with a Heide Greatlance and it's the same deal. I go from completely annihilating people to doing no damage, depending on if they have GMB or how overlevelled they are. If they are SL 150 without GMB (like most non-faith builds) I can destroy them in seconds.

I wonder if my pyromancer character would do better infusing the Drakekeeper Sword with Raw. I have to think about it.

so you're saying the balance is utter shit? it's either destroy in seconds or do no damage? that's even worse than what i predicted a couple of months ago when all of you were saying how awesome the PvP is, how much better it is than DaS1, when in fact it isn't and it only required some number crunching and optimizing for everyone to start using tryhard tactics and set ups, just like i said the same shit happened in DaS1? i'd say "i told you so" but it seems even my worst predictions were surpassed :killit: (yeah, the underlying mechanics are probably their best yet, but when team A's balancing efforts have been so crap for so long, what did you expect from team B and the utterly retarded SM?)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom