Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Why not? Dark Souls 2 is a game like any other. I'm not gonna do it, but I won't begrudge anyone who does.

You may as well pirate every game with that rationale, be it Wasteland 2 or Skyrim.

I guess I must be wired a different way, outside of the "torrents are the new demo" which justifies piracy, I just don't see any compelling argument outside of "if everyone did it, nobody would get paid, ergot, nobody would make games" against piracy. My pirated media is so much more accessible/convenient than even Steam stuff, so I continue to do it [only with movies, television and music though: I haven't pirated a game I didn't own since Bioshock Infinite].

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I just don't see any compelling argument outside of "if everyone did it, nobody would get paid, ergot, nobody would make games" against piracy.

That's really the only reason you need.

Much like Communism, when applied to all it just results in everyone changing into the lowest common denominator. If everyone did in fact pirate games the game industry would crash.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
I just don't see any compelling argument outside of "if everyone did it, nobody would get paid, ergot, nobody would make games" against piracy.

That's really the only reason you need.

Which is a fine argument, but just for the sake of argument, a moral reason could be made for piracy of Dark Souls, since the publisher is subversively enticing the Dark Souls consumer base, to double dip, with the belated release of the PC version of the game. I don't know, I still buy games, and still will pirate games that I want to pirate, but there are so many reason pro or con, who gives a shit?

DragoFireheart

Which is a fine argument, but just for the sake of argument, a moral reason could be made for piracy of Dark Souls, since the publisher is subversively enticing the Dark Souls consumer base, to double dip, with the belated release of the PC version of the game. I don't know, I still buy games, and still will pirate games that I want to pirate, but there are so many reason pro or con, who gives a shit?

Horse shit.

Kanedias

Savant
I don't think they do it on purpose, I think they suck at making ports (see Dark Souls 1) and they're trying to make it less shitty (and probably failing, so they don't know when it will be done yet).

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
I don't think they do it on purpose, I think they suck at making ports (see Dark Souls 1) and they're trying to make it less shitty (and probably failing, so they don't know when it will be done yet).

There is such a huge financial incentive for them to do this, and the fact that they learned their lesson with Dark Souls 1, I don't see how they could've legitimately failed at releasing all of the ports at the same time, like every other Japanese, American, or otherwise company does. I'm not saying From Software is why there's some double dipping going on, i'm saying it's the publisher, but when we start talking about making 10's to possibly hundreds of millions of dollars, why wouldn't they do it?

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I'm just buying the PS3 one since I don't feel like putting up with Steam's problems and I don't feel like risking money on another port just in case they screw up again somehow.

DragoFireheart

It will ends up with the game being located on a cloud server and you not only paying the game but also an online fee .Alll you will have in your room is barely a terminal .

The day that happens (for all games) is the day I stop buying video games.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pirate Skyrim (because of Steam) Battlefield (because of EA) or shitty games you know you don't wouldn't have bought anyway but pirating from a small develope that despite all industry trends of dumbing down stuff is delivering great games without any compromises to its fans it just sad. I understand that it is easier but don't justify it; pirate shit that from EA or Activision all you like I even applud you for it just don't come into this thread where the fans hang out and we are willing, able and happy to support From Software

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Why not? Dark Souls 2 is a game like any other. I'm not gonna do it, but I won't begrudge anyone who does.

But why wouldn't you buy a game from a dev that you want to support?

You may as well pirate every game with that rationale, be it Wasteland 2 or Skyrim.
I don't want to support DS2 or any game for that matter, i just want to play it. Game industry may crash for all i care.

Multiplayer is also a good tatic to drive away piracy and bring the money in. I can live with some features out of the game just fine.

Why are you pirating Dark Souls 2?

Because dumbfucks gonna dumbfuck
Says the guy who will buy the same shit twice. If you want to support them so much just send money in their direction instead of giving money to the publisher or something...

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Let's change the subjet guys...how about that Vaati? He is a hunky geek it seems and rising all sorts of forbbiden pasion hahahha and not only because he "sold out"

Last edited:

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Game is close to out. I AM SO HYPED!!! I am so hyped that Dark Souls 2 will be my biggest bomb ever because there is no way it is living up to my giddy glee that i have for this game.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Mortmal

Arcane
They do, Drago. It's why DRM keeps getting more invasive.

So when does it end?

It will ends up with the game being located on a cloud server and you not only paying the game but also an online fee .Alll you will have in your room is barely a terminal .

It won't happen, I doubt we'll get physical infrastructure capable of supporting this on a massive scale within the next 50 years.

If you had told me when i was a kid we would use that kind of computer hardware today i would have said you are mad ,its sci fi , not before space ships. So that cloud thingie might happen in a few years i wont be too surprised now.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't doubt the terminal idea for a second. We'll all just rent space on massive cloud servers.

Can't wait for a clever hacker to build a learning AI that takes control of them one day. ITZ

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
They do, Drago. It's why DRM keeps getting more invasive.

So when does it end?

It won't happen, I doubt we'll get physical infrastructure capable of supporting this on a massive scale within the next 50 years.

If you had told me when i was a kid we would use that kind of computer hardware today i would have said you are mad ,its sci fi , not before space ships. So that cloud thingie might happen in a few years i wont be too surprised now.

It won't unless everyone drops everything and starts laying fibre everywhere. The combined latency and throughput requirements on everyone playing games running on the cloud at the same time are insane. Especially for the US, with their third-world infrastructure.

Murk

Arcane
Australia would collectively stop existing on the game front. Any country with bandwidth limitations. Shit, still sounds barbaric to me.

bminorkey

I preordered the game today. It's probably going to take a while after March 11th to get here though. I'm pretty excited.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom